Acer A200 - BRICKED, cannot mount /data /sdcard

Search This thread

j_medved

Jul 26, 2012
I did something stupid. Got an A200 that could not get OTA 4.0.3, so I managed to get it updated manually. However, I then proceeded to try to root it using the "SimpleRoot" scripts on Acertabletforum, and at this point, the thing is bricked. In Recovery, I cannot get anything to mount. /SDCard, /data, etc

Bootloader is Unlocked
I tried with some different Recoveries with slightly different results:
1) Hbwelch CWM v5.5.0.4 (the one that comes with SimpleTool) - All mounting attempts fail
2) nics-TWRP_stable (twrp v 2.1.4) - Seems to be able to mount System and Cache, but not DATA or SDCARD (Internal or External)
3) thor v 5.5.0x (thor2002ro rev1.7) - errors mounting data, sdcard and /mnt/sdcard. Is able to mount system, cache, flexrom and flex.

Any idea how to fix it? I am afraid that if I try to return the tablet where I bought it as it is now, it will get rejected. (even though the damn thing was supposed to be ICS upgradable in the first place, but wasn't... long story)

Thanks

Jerry

j_medved

Jul 26, 2012
I finally got the tablet working again. Was very close to sending it back. Got bits and pieces of info from various other posts on this forum and on acertabletforum. For the sake of anyone else that may find this thread, here are a few things that were wrong, and how to fix them

(I cannot post outside links, so just google the file names when relevant)

1) /SDCard would not mount. Solution - PARTITION the SD card. NOTE: The card worked on a PC, and even on that tablet when Android was fully booted. However it would NOT mount in recovery until I explicitly partitioned it. Doing a FORMAT on the PC does NOT count. I had to partition it within Recovery.

NOTE: This may also be why people are unable to get the update.zip thing working.

2) /Data would not mount - I have no idea how this got screwed up, but the solution was:
* Connect the tablet to the PC in RECOVERY. At this point, ADB should work. If not, check the drivers on the PC - I had to manually specify the Acer ADB Composite driver.

* Open a Command prompt window

* Start ADB shell by typing:
ADB SHELL

* Now execute the following:
mke2fs -j -b 4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index -C 1 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
e2fsck -fy /dev/block/mmcblk0p8

After this is done your file system on /data will be fixed. (solution posted by spoupard on XDA-Developers.com)

3) Putting it all together:
* Flashed the BOOT partition with Honeycomb 3.2.1_boot.img
* Flashed the RECOVERY partition with nics-TWRP_stable.img

* At this point, I noticed that the Bootloader was once again LOCKED. So, start into FASTBOOT mode and execute the following from the command prompt again:
fastboot oem unlock

* Re-Start in Recovery and select MOUNT and make sure that everything is mounted. If /SDCARD or /DATA refuse to mount, fix that issue first (step 2 above)

* Now I select to INSTALL Acer_AV041_A200_1.037.00_PA_CUS1.zip

Upon reboot, I noticed that it said "Updating Bootloader", then got the Acer screen and locked up. I restarted again into Recovery and again selected the option to install INSTALL Acer_AV041_A200_1.037.00_PA_CUS1.zip and reboot. This time it restarted, indicated that it has a new version of bootloader (previously was 3.1.3) and proceeded to boot up into Android 4.0.3. At that point, I think my neighbors heard me scream YES!, considering I spent 2 days on this :)

I hope I got all the steps. Most of it is from memory and some notes, since I did not want to experiment and go through this hell again.

Jerry

Reactions: AlenKing and rkmFL

agapecs

Dec 23, 2010
Great info but you might want to add fixed to the title. For the time being doesn't look like I will be rooting till these issues are sorted out. I am see too many people saying they are bricking with this root method.

j_medved

Jul 26, 2012
FIXED - Acer A200 - BRICKED, cannot mount /data /sdcard

Great info but you might want to add fixed to the title. For the time being doesn't look like I will be rooting till these issues are sorted out. I am see too many people saying they are bricking with this root method.

Didn't see a way to edit the title. As for rooting, note that after all was said and done, I am still not rooted. I just managed to get updated to 4.0.3, which should have been done OTA anyway. I may try again now that I am a bit more confident that I can get it back to working state, but will do a full backup in ADB first. Too much of a pain in the *** to have to reconfigure everything again once the OS is installed.

teacherhh

Jul 19, 2012
Hamburg
ext3 oder ext4?

1) /SDCard would not mount. Solution - PARTITION the SD card. NOTE: The card worked on a PC, and even on that tablet when Android was fully booted. However it would NOT mount in recovery until I explicitly partitioned it. Doing a FORMAT on the PC does NOT count. I had to partition it within Recovery.

Try to do this with twrp v.2.1.4: do I use ext3 or ext4 for the Partition? And which size needs the ext Partition?

Thanx
teacherHH

teacherhh

Jul 19, 2012
Hamburg

Thanx j_medved for yor reply!

So I did and just faced the next problem: I can conect my Tablet to the PC and can finde it with adb devices and can start the shell with adb shell.
But then when I start: mke2fs -j -b 4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
nothing seems to happen....waited about 30 minutes....
in the next turn I get the reply, that mmcblk0p8 is allready in use....next turn again: nothing seems to happen....

any ideas? .-(

teacherhh

j_medved

Jul 26, 2012
teacherhh,

If I remember correctly, that command should finish pretty quick. You may want to try leaving it for a bit longer, but it seems that you may have something else wrong. I am not that familiar with this area. Haven't dealt with Linux much. Sorry.

Reactions: teacherhh

teacherhh

Jul 19, 2012
Hamburg
again mke2fs

Once again j_medved...

did it look likes this, wenn you run mke2fs ?

Regards,
teacherhh

Attachments

• mke2fs.jpg
    mke2fs.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,562

j_medved

Jul 26, 2012
Once again j_medved...

did it look likes this, wenn you run mke2fs ?

Regards,
teacherhh
Don't remember what it was for me (was a month ago :)) , but another couple users that ran it had the following:
Code:
~ # mke2fs -j -b 4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
mke2fs 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
Warning: 256-byte inodes not usable on older systems
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
1831424 inodes, 7311872 blocks
365593 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=0
224 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
8176 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,

Writing inode tables: 52/224

Couple users that were hosed, were stuck at this point. Did not see any indication of resolution for those users

Benninator

Oct 1, 2012
Tenri, Japan
Driver Problems

Hi Guys,

I've the same problem. I can't wipe the Data, so I've found this instruction. unfortunenately will my PC not found my Tab. I've installed the drivers many times, but it will not work. Can anybody help, how to install? btw. fastboot is working, but not adb.
I'm using an Samsung Netbook with Win 7. THe PC's trying to install drivers, altough they are already installed, but can'T find any drivers.

If you need more informations, just let me know.

j_medved

Jul 26, 2012
@Benninator,

If you look in Windows 7 Device Manager, does the device show up there OK? Or does it show up as unrecognized device, or as some device code with a yellow triangle and exclamation on it? Or not at all?

Benninator

Oct 1, 2012
Tenri, Japan
Yes, their is a yellow triangle. I've tried to install the driver manually, but with no success. In my driverlist were the Acer driver not listed. furthermore I've tried to configure the usb-adb.ini with also no success. I have absolutly no idea what I can do.

j_medved

Jul 26, 2012
In device manager, and does it show up as a200 or unknown device?

Is the device I am recovery at the time?

And also, and which recovery?

jram0421

Dec 22, 2012
San Diego, CA
Tab is missing recovery and won't boot in to android

FASTBOOT WORKS BUT I GET THIS MESSAGE EVERY TIME I TRY TO FLASH RECOVERY.IMG says unknown partiton 'C:\James\Downloads\recovery.img'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'C:\James\Downloads\recovery.img'
Please help me

j_medved

Jul 26, 2012
FASTBOOT WORKS BUT I GET THIS MESSAGE EVERY TIME I TRY TO FLASH RECOVERY.IMG says unknown partiton 'C:\James\Downloads\recovery.img'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'C:\James\Downloads\recovery.img'
Please help me

I think you may be mistyping the command. What is the exact command that you are typing in that gets you this error?

mordies

Jun 17, 2013
cant get adb drivers installed in my pc

adb driver seems not to work at all when i try to boot my tablet on cwd when i boon on fastboot only fastboot recognice my device and when i let my acer a200 try to boot itself it gets stuck on acer screen whit this on top ( bootloader version 0.03.06-ics ) but windows recognice it but fails when installing the mtp usb drivers.
what can i do to get adb working so i can fix my mount issues so i can install my room again ?
hope you can help me tnks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I finally got the tablet working again. Was very close to sending it back. Got bits and pieces of info from various other posts on this forum and on acertabletforum. For the sake of anyone else that may find this thread, here are a few things that were wrong, and how to fix them

(I cannot post outside links, so just google the file names when relevant)

NOTE: This may also be why people are unable to get the update.zip thing working.

2) /Data would not mount - I have no idea how this got screwed up, but the solution was:
    * Connect the tablet to the PC in RECOVERY. At this point, ADB should work. If not, check the drivers on the PC - I had to manually specify the Acer ADB Composite driver.

* Open a Command prompt window

* Start ADB shell by typing:
    ADB SHELL

* Now execute the following:
    tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index -C 1 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
    e2fsck -fy /dev/block/mmcblk0p8

After this is done your file system on /data will be fixed. (solution posted by spoupard on XDA-Developers.com)

3) Putting it all together:
    * Flashed the BOOT partition with Honeycomb 3.2.1_boot.img
    * Flashed the RECOVERY partition with nics-TWRP_stable.img

* At this point, I noticed that the Bootloader was once again LOCKED. So, start into FASTBOOT mode and execute the following from the command prompt again:
    fastboot oem unlock

* Re-Start in Recovery and select MOUNT and make sure that everything is mounted. If /SDCARD or /DATA refuse to mount, fix that issue first (step 2 above)

* Now I select to INSTALL Acer_AV041_A200_1.037.00_PA_CUS1.zip

Upon reboot, I noticed that it said "Updating Bootloader", then got the Acer screen and locked up. I restarted again into Recovery and again selected the option to install INSTALL Acer_AV041_A200_1.037.00_PA_CUS1.zip and reboot. This time it restarted, indicated that it has a new version of bootloader (previously was 3.1.3) and proceeded to boot up into Android 4.0.3. At that point, I think my neighbors heard me scream YES!, considering I spent 2 days on this :)

I hope I got all the steps. Most of it is from memory and some notes, since I did not want to experiment and go through this hell again.

Jerry
    teacherhh,

If I remember correctly, that command should finish pretty quick. You may want to try leaving it for a bit longer, but it seems that you may have something else wrong. I am not that familiar with this area. Haven't dealt with Linux much. Sorry.
    How to root? I'm in ICS 4.03

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

If you use the search feature, you might would have found this;

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1691671

But you will have to do a search or a google search to get the tool, as the download link seems bad.

Good luck!