USB OTG Cable host mode while charging anyone try this accessory?

Search This thread

tahlsr

Nov 2, 2007
I've searched and never seen an actual 'buyable' product linked on the forums so if this is a dup, I apologize.
Anyone try one of these and see if you can have your Nexus in host mode and charge at the same time?
Is the only option for the female Micro USB port to bring more charge to a usb device plugged in and not to bring charge
to the Nexus itself?

Two scenarios would make this ideal for me:
1.) using my usb xbox controller to play games yet still keeping my tablet charged
2.) using a usb thumb drive to play a movie while still keeping my table charged

I think this would be pretty cool if it worked but I don't know the technical details on if it can be done with our Nexus 7's:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110931117836

$T2eC16F,!)QE9s3HCoObBQH0,FVoY!~~60_12.JPG

kenyee

Dec 11, 2008
Looks like it's meant for providing power to the USB device you connect (e.g.. external hard drive) instead of to the Nexus7...

RED ZMAN

Hell, I'd do it, but I don't have a Nexus seven yet. LOL

I've been waiting for someone to get a working solution fit this before I purchase one. That and I need good 3.5mm sound quality and I've read its ****e on the Nexus 7.

Blasted from my HTC Rezound (Zone23s Newtified 3.2.1)

AraDreamer

Jul 23, 2012
Austin/Waco, Texas
plus.google.com
Hell, I'd do it, but I don't have a Nexus seven yet. LOL

I've been waiting for someone to get a working solution fit this before I purchase one. That and I need good 3.5mm sound quality and I've read its ****e on the Nexus 7.

Blasted from my HTC Rezound (Zone23s Newtified 3.2.1)

My sounds works fine, and I haven't even bothered getting the volume + app yet for tweaking. I think there's just no pleasing some ppl with a bare bones tablet like this one.

-Ara

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: RED ZMAN

RED ZMAN

I have a OK Galaxy Tab in the dash of my car, and use the headset port for music, didn't want to upgrade without seeing one in person.

Hopefully some sort of dock solution will make Otg and charging possible and I can upgrade. Thanks!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

CasualStarlord

Mar 2, 2010
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
OTG and Charging is mutually exclusive, the OTG cable triggers the USB controller to send power out to a device, not receive power.

the pogo docks on the bottom of the device are also impossible to charge from as the nexus 7 has only been given one charging circuit, and that is the same one that OTG disables.

The only way to achieve something like this would be a physical battery hack where you splice in a charging circuit direct to the battery, without frying the phone maybe some unidirectional resistors, so that it can be simultaneously charged whilst powering the device.

I'm 99% certain of this information, and this is not to say someone might hack a kernel together one day

Last edited:
Reactions: @ngel

barkerd25017

Aug 22, 2012
you might be able to install one of them batteries you can just set it on a charging pad and it will charge

energizer-wireless-iphone-charger.jpg

Last edited:

WinDroidGuy

Jun 23, 2012
Seattle
www.youtube.com
you might be able to install one of them batteries you can just set it on a charging pad and it will charge

OTG and Charging is mutually exclusive, the OTG cable triggers the USB controller to send power out to a device, not receive power.

the pogo docks on the bottom of the device are also impossible to charge from as the nexus 7 has only been given one charging circuit, and that is the same one that OTG disables.

The only way to achieve something like this would be a physical battery hack where you splice in a charging circuit direct to the battery, without frying the phone maybe some unidirectional resistors, so that it can be simultaneously charged whilst powering the device.

I'm 99% certain of this information, and this is not to say someone might hack a kernel together one day

I have a ZAGG battery pack I'm planning on trying this with and I will report back :) I also have that same pad and I can get a fairly cheap charger to place on the matt as you say. Either way that wouldn't be very convenient, but I'll check it out :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Wrong. https://github.com/teamhacksung/and...mmit/4c1c965b168bc4488ef66889e1c8933bc1b3de46 for an example on Galaxy S2/Note

As to whether the adapter linked is a proper OTG ACA (they're VERY hard to find) and whether the grouper supports OTG ACA is unknown. It's something a kernel developer can probably implement.

CasualStarlord

Mar 2, 2010
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Thanks Entropy512, I can see it working on other devices, that gives me hope... I might rig something up myself now, I've wanted to take a cheap usb keyboard plastic leather cover, and build in an extra battery, card reader and usb hub, now this might be theoretically possible :D

ED2O9

Sep 2, 2009
I can confirm that simply splicing a standard OTG cable into the port and plugging in a power cord will not work. I thought I'd utilize the empty socket from where the rear camera was supposed to go, and try to fit the OTG-to-microSD set-up inside of the Nexus. I bought a salvaged USB/headphone port from a damaged Nexus off of Ebay for $1 and the smallest microSD adapter I could find. With the use of a ribbon cable from an old laptop, some trimming, and some REALLY careful soldering I was able to make it work... sorta. Stickmount sees the card and everything runs great, until you plug in a power cord. Then, it disables the microSD adapter, and even though Stickmount says it's there, no files are visible. Also, the Nexus won't charge with this arrangement.
It might work with a different set up, but simply mimicking the OTG cable will not allow a Stickmounted volume and when the charger is plugged in.
(BTW - To make everything fit, I had to use a Dremel to grind away some of the mid-frame area around the rear camera space. It's a tight fit, but keep in mind that until you have a spare mid-frame, like I do, you'll obviously void your warranty.)

Attachments

• N7-cable.jpg
    N7-cable.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 2,540
Reactions: BleedingIris

Mechanio

Aug 19, 2012
I can confirm that simply splicing a standard OTG cable into the port and plugging in a power cord will not work. I thought I'd utilize the empty socket from where the rear camera was supposed to go, and try to fit the OTG-to-microSD set-up inside of the Nexus.
Stickmount sees the card and everything runs great, until you plug in a power cord.

I tried this very thing, same results.

Cetin

Nov 6, 2007
Hope all your work ends in success.
I would like to put this device as a car Entertainment system later. But charging and USB otg is a must.

NEXUS 7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wrong. https://github.com/teamhacksung/and...mmit/4c1c965b168bc4488ef66889e1c8933bc1b3de46 for an example on Galaxy S2/Note

As to whether the adapter linked is a proper OTG ACA (they're VERY hard to find) and whether the grouper supports OTG ACA is unknown. It's something a kernel developer can probably implement.
    Where did you get the stand? I really like the setup

Thank you. Got the stand here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004M8ST36/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357427859&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

It's made for a windshield mount, but it works pretty damn good on my desk, since it's glass. When I bought it originally, it was like 5 bucks cheaper.

Sent from my DROID4
    I am using it successfully on CNA 3.8.1 (Android 4.1.2). I had to flash this boot img
    http://mehrvarz.github.com/usb-otg-power-nexus7/

I haven't had any issues with it. I'm not using stickmount, due to the fact that CNA has USB Storage built into it. I only use a 32gb mini usb drive, and have had no issues with it.

Here's my setup at my desk. Using a Motorola BT Keyboard, Soundfreaq Sound Kick BT speaker, and a cheap little Motorola BT Mouse. I think the mount is a Arkon.

USB OTG Host Mode Cable

Battery "Charging"

Storage Overview
    I have a similar OTG cable that can let me charge while using it. Trying to use it on the latest CM12, Dirty Unicorns, whatever builds and no luck even with Stick Mount. Any suggestions on perhaps a Lollipop kernel that might work? I'm not having any luck at all. :crying:

There isn't a kernel yet to support OTG host-mode charging on the N7 yet for Android 5.0+

The last ones released work with 4.4.4, either oxydo or kangaroo kernel.