[GUIDE] Comprehensive S-OFF/Root Methods

Search This thread

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
just over looked at your second post and to not have any problems with confusuion like JehC after the RUU downgrade you should put to run revolutionary first then flash radio because flashing radios require s-off

Will do... also, tapatalk just did this:
61936370-cd7c-97c7.jpg

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

agapedisciple

Jun 16, 2010
I can't do the last part.
fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip

When I try it says writing "zip"...... FAILED (remote not allowed)
I got it working. I just needed to follow scotty's guide and flash from the oem rebootRUU state.
fastboot erase cache

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip (when you checked it above with the md5sums command,it matched right?)

fastboot reboot-bootloader (make sure your baseband changed)

fastboot reboot

termin8tor22

May 12, 2011
Virginia
I'm having trouble flashing the radio. I just finished the Flashing RUU part and now I am bootlooping. I get passed the bootloaders and lock screen then the phone reboots. I flashed the radio and it "FAILED (remote: 12 signature verify fail)". I cant run Revolutionary successfully because it drops the connection.

Heres what I'm seeing when I flash the radio.img file.
Code:
C:\ANDROID ROOT>fastboot erase cache
               erasing 'cache'... OKAY [  1.092s]
finished. total time: 1.093s

C:\ANDROID ROOT>fastboot oem rebootRUU
                              ... OKAY [  0.347s]
finished. total time: 0.348s

[COLOR="Blue"]C:\ANDROID ROOT>fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip
      sending 'zip' (13225 KB)... OKAY [  3.341s]
                 writing 'zip'... INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: 12 signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 6.136s[/COLOR]

C:\ANDROID ROOT>fastboot reboot-bootloader
     rebooting into bootloader... OKAY [  0.156s]
finished. total time: 0.157s

C:\ANDROID ROOT>fastboot reboot
< waiting for device >
                     rebooting...

C:\ANDROID ROOT>

I think the blue is where my problem is but Im unsure on how to fix this. Any help?

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
I'm having trouble flashing the radio. I just finished the Flashing RUU part and now I am bootlooping. I get passed the bootloaders and lock screen then the phone reboots. I flashed the radio and it "FAILED (remote: 12 signature verify fail)". I cant run Revolutionary successfully because it drops the connection.

Heres what I'm seeing when I flash the radio.img file.
Code:
C:\ANDROID ROOT>fastboot erase cache
               erasing 'cache'... OKAY [  1.092s]
finished. total time: 1.093s

C:\ANDROID ROOT>fastboot oem rebootRUU
                              ... OKAY [  0.347s]
finished. total time: 0.348s

[COLOR="Blue"]C:\ANDROID ROOT>fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip
      sending 'zip' (13225 KB)... OKAY [  3.341s]
                 writing 'zip'... INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: 12 signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 6.136s[/COLOR]

C:\ANDROID ROOT>fastboot reboot-bootloader
     rebooting into bootloader... OKAY [  0.156s]

C:\ANDROID ROOT>fastboot reboot
< waiting for device >
                     rebooting...

C:\ANDROID ROOT>

I think the blue is where my problem is but Im unsure on how to fix this. Any help?

From the bootloader:
Code:
fastboot erase cache

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip

fastboot reboot-bootloader

fastboot reboot

xray49er

Mar 13, 2009
Peekskill, NY
Thanks for the guide I did this last night for my sons refurb. I think i missed a step so i started it over and it worked great. I couldnt flash the radio so i saved a file on my computer and renamed it. I mounted the phone through recovery. moved the radio file over. I flashed the ics rom then went into the bootloader flashed the radio and everything is working flawlessly. Thanks for the guide and your time.

tnez

Dec 30, 2010
just tried the tacoroot method, everything went fine but im stuck on the last line of code.....can anyone help?

Code:
C:\Android>fastboot oem rebootRUU
                              ... OKAY [  0.172s]
finished. total time: 0.172s

C:\Android>fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra
dio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip
     sending 'zip' (292817 KB)... OKAY [ 50.825s]
                 writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this i
mage...
INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 92.383s

C:\Android>fastboot reboot
< waiting for device >

its been stuck here for about 15mins now, is that normal? the phone is still in the bootloader...only thing on the screen is "Ruu" highlighted

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
just tried the tacoroot method, everything went fine but im stuck on the last line of code.....can anyone help?

Code:
C:\Android>fastboot oem rebootRUU
                              ... OKAY [  0.172s]
finished. total time: 0.172s

C:\Android>fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra
dio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip
     sending 'zip' (292817 KB)... OKAY [ 50.825s]
                 writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this i
mage...
INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 92.383s

C:\Android>fastboot reboot
< waiting for device >

its been stuck here for about 15mins now, is that normal? the phone is still in the bootloader...only thing on the screen is "Ruu" highlighted

Redownload, check md5, try again. Pull battery if you can't get it off, hit Ctrl+c to unstick the command prompt.

tnez

Dec 30, 2010
Redownload, check md5, try again. Pull battery if you can't get it off, hit Ctrl+c to unstick the command prompt.

thats for the reply, as soon as i pulled the USB cord out the phone rebooted. about phone showed 2.3.3!! i was able to continue on to get S-OFF and flashed the radio using your tip on the previous page! thanks alot for the write up.

bc13

Apr 16, 2012
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd c:\miniadb_inc2

C:\miniadb_inc2>md5sums RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.
09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[C:\miniadb_inc2\]
RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2... 100% cea499f51b40055ffd118960e1e73255

C:\miniadb_inc2>md5sums 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip

Type md5sums -h for help

1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip ea6b98be48210d7797e62362f49ff751

C:\miniadb_inc2>md5sums tacoroot.sh

Type md5sums -h for help

tacoroot.sh 6ec06d776feb212d8b2a55817eddf76d

C:\miniadb_inc2>md5sums misc_version

Type md5sums -h for help

misc_version 050f55d34ddbcc860efa5982491437de

C:\miniadb_inc2>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT154MA09972 device

C:\miniadb_inc2>adb push tacoroot.sh /data/local/
2 KB/s (0 bytes in 2129.001s)

C:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.sh

C:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --setup
TacoRoot: HTC Edition v1
By Justin Case (jcase)
Presented by TeamAndIRC, RootzWiki and AndroidPolice
With great assistance from Reid Holland (Erishasnobattery)
----------
TacoRoot: HTC Edition v1 is based on a vulnerability independently discovered by

both Justin Case and Dan Rosenberg (Rosenberg first). I believe unrevoked and
AlpahRev were also aware of it.
----------
Usage:
--recovery : For this exploit to work, you must have booted recovery at least on
ce after your last factory reset.
--setup : Setup the phone for root, must be done before --root.
--root : Root the phone.
--undo : Remove TacoRoot.
----------
Rebooting into recovery, please press Volume+, Volume- and Power at the same tim
e, and reboot the system.
rm failed for /data/data/recovery/log, No such file or directory
link failed No such file or directory

C:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --root
By Justin Case (jcase)
----------
TacoRoot: HTC Edition v1 is based on a vulnerability independently discovered by

----------
Usage:
--recovery : For this exploit to work, you must have booted recovery at least on
----------
Rebooting into root.
/data/local/tacoroot.sh: cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied

I keep getting hung up at this point here. On the instructions it says that the phone should just keep bootlooping but mine just reboots back to normal and I get the permission denied stuff. Anyone have any ideas?

tnez

Dec 30, 2010
C:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --setup
By Justin Case (jcase)
----------

----------
Usage:
----------
Rebooting into recovery, please press Volume+, Volume- and Power at the same tim
e, and reboot the system.
rm failed for /data/data/recovery/log, No such file or directory
link failed No such file or directory

C:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --root
By Justin Case (jcase)
----------

----------
Usage:
----------
Rebooting into root.
/data/local/tacoroot.sh: cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied

I keep getting hung up at this point here. On the instructions it says that the phone should just keep bootlooping but mine just reboots back to normal and I get the permission denied stuff. Anyone have any ideas?

looks like you didnt boot into recovery at least once....

adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --setup This will reboot your phone. When you get to a screen with a red exclamation mark, press VolUp+Power until you get to a menu, then press VolUp+VolDown+Power until the phone turns off. Once it is rebooted, continue.

bc13

Apr 16, 2012
looks like you didnt boot into recovery at least once....

adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --setup This will reboot your phone. When you get to a screen with a red exclamation mark, press VolUp+Power until you get to a menu, then press VolUp+VolDown+Power until the phone turns off. Once it is rebooted, continue.

I did that part but once I get to the next part when it tells you you will just keep boot looping it just reboots like normal and gives me a error code. I tried it 3 times. Do I just need to keep trying it until it takes, or am I missing a step or something?

tnez

Dec 30, 2010
When I did it mine didn't boot loop but just stayed stuck at the end of the boot animation. I waited a min and continued on to the next step. So yours is booting completely? I would redownload all the files and try again

Sent from my vivow using Tapatalk 2

bc13

Apr 16, 2012
When I did it mine didn't boot loop but just stayed stuck at the end of the boot animation. I waited a min and continued on to the next step. So yours is booting completely? I would redownload all the files and try again

Sent from my vivow using Tapatalk 2

Yeah it completly reboots. I will try doing like you said and start from the beginning.

Sent from my ADR6350 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please do not PM me with questions about this guide! I don't have time to help everyone through it, create a thread in Q&A if you don't have 10 posts or post here, there are other people who have done this and can help you, and I will get to it if I can. PMs asking questions about this guide will be ignored. Thank you.
    Fully stable root methods for all firmware versions (no bootloops on 6.01.605.05 firmware!)

Table of Contents
    To quickly find a section, hit CTRL+F and type the letters in parentheses, then click "Next"
    (IRO) Intro: Read first!
    (HDV) HTCDEV Unlock
    (TCR) Tacoroot
    (DWG) Downgrade tool
    (RVL) Revolutionary
    (HSO) S-OFF with HTCDev unlock (second post)
    (ASO) After S-OFF (second post)​

INTRO
    (IRO)​
    DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device while following these instructions. I will try to help you through problems as much as I can, but I can't guarantee success, especially if you do not carefully read the instructions.
    This is a comprehensive guide of all known and fully stable root/s-off methods, at this time, it covers just about all firmware versions out there. Most of these methods will require the Android SDK, so download that (Google it. A link for this really isn't necessary, and I'm sure many people could use practice googling things. ;)) and set it up (again, just google "android sdk," the download page even has tutorials). The downgrade methods no longer require the sdk, but it is still reccomended that you download it as it is a very useful tool. Don't forget to download the device drivers here (only neccessary on Windows) and set the PATH variable.

So, which downgrade method should you use? Most likely you will either have firmware version 5.x or 6.x, you can find out under Settings>About phone. If you are using 5.x, go to the Downgrade Tool section; if you have 6.x, go to the Tacoroot section. Both methods eventually lead to the Revolutionary section, HTCDev unlock is not reccomended and, honestly, completely pointless (read more below).

HTCDEV UNLOCK
    (HDV)​
    Versions: All
    HTCDev is HTC's "official" unlock, it will unlock the bootloader but leave S-ON. Don't do it. Seriously. It's a guaranteed voided warranty and pretty much a huge PITA (you can't flash radios and need to extract and separately flash ROM kernels), and s-off methods are completely stable and even relockable. That said, if for whatever reason you do wish to do this, just go to http://htcdev.com/bootloader/. If you want to obtain S-OFF at any time after using HTCDev unlock, see the second post.

Note: to flash ROMs when HTCDev unlocked, flash the ROM normally, then extract the boot.img from the rom.zip and boot into fastboot, then use the command "fastboot flash boot boot.img."

TACOROOT
    (TCR)​
    Versions: 6.01.605.05 firmware
    Tacoroot is a temp root method discovered by Justin Case that will allow those on the newer firmware to flash an older version and root with Revolutionary. Before you begin, download this zip containing all the files you'll need:
    EDIT: Looking for the files? See this post.

Extract this zip to C:/Android. You can extract it somewhere else, just replace C:/Android with the path to the wherever you extracted it wherever it comes up. Now, connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, turn on USB Debugging under Settings>Apps>Development, and disable fastboot under Settings>Power. Make sure your phone is fully charged. Open a command prompt by opening the start menu, typing "cmd" and hitting enter. Type in everything that is in black text. Notes and extra instructions will be written in blue. It is reccomended that you copy/paste the code to avoid typos, to do this, copy by highlighting the line and hitting Ctrl+C as usual; to paste, go to your command prompt and click the small black icon in the upper left corner. A menu will pop up, go to Edit>Paste. Make sure you have not highlighted any spaces before or after the line or any of the blue text. Now, begin copying the code:

cd C:/Android
    md5sums RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip Remove the space in the middle of the word radio before hitting enter, I don't know why it won't let me remove it. Result should be cea499f51b40055ffd118960e1e73255, if it isn't, redownload the miniadb zip.
    md5sums 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip Result should be ea6b98be48210d7797e62362f49ff751
    md5sums tacoroot.sh Result should be 6ec06d776feb212d8b2a55817eddf76d
    md5sums misc_version Result should be 050f55d34ddbcc860efa5982491437de
    adb devices Result should be your phone's serial number. If it isn't make sure drivers are properly installed and USB Debugging is enabled.
    adb push tacoroot.sh /data/local/
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.sh
    adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --root
    adb wait-for-device Running the step before this will reboot your phone again, this time it will be bootlooping, meaning it will not boot fully and get stuck on the boot animation. Once your prompt comes back after this step, you're good to continue even though the phone isn't fully booted.
    adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3
    adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --undo This will reboot your phone one more time, this time fully stable and will boot completely. Continue once fully booted.
    adb reboot bootloader This will reboot your phone to a white screen with a few options. Once you are at this screen, continue with the instructions.
    fastboot devices Result should be your phone's serial number, again.
    fastboot getvar mainver The result should be 2.18.605.3. If it is not, something was not done correctly, you'll need to restart from the beginning.
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip This will take a bit of time without giving any indication as to when it will be done, be patient and do not interrupt it.
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip Same as the above, do not interrupt under any circumstances (unless you really wanted a phone-shaped paperweight :p)
    fastboot reboot

That's the end of the codes, you should be fully booted into the now downgraded version. Re-enable USB debugging, then continue to the Revolutionary section and follow instructions there.

DOWNGRADE TOOL
    Versions: HBOOT .98, firmware below 6.01.605.05
    This will not work with firmware version 6.01.605.05! Use the tacoroot method!
    This tool will downgrade you to 2.3.3, which will allow you to use Revolutionary to gain S-OFF.
    Download the tool here, and extract it to a folder where you can easily get to it in a command prompt/terminal.
    Now, connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, and turn on USB Debugging in settings. To ensure you are connected, open a command prompt/terminal and type "adb devices". If you see a bunch of letters and numbers followed by "device," you're good to go.

Navigate to the files you extracted in a command prompt/terminal ("cd /path/to/folder," replacing /path/to/folder with the actual filepath), type "hack-vivow.cmd" and let it run. It may take a while and seem to get stuck on some commands, just leave it alone. After it's done, continue to the Revolutionary section. Yep, it really is that easy.

REVOLUTIONARY
    Versions: GB 2.3.3, any others after downgrade methods
    This is the final step that will actually get you S-OFF.
    Go to the revolutionary website, click on the download link for your OS, you'll get a download right away. While it's downloading, fill out the form that pops up (if you don't know your serial number and have the sdk installed, open up a command prompt/terminal and type "adb devices," the letters/numbers before "device" is your serial. Extract the files and run either revolutionary or revolutionary.exe depending on your OS, enter your beta key and say yes when it asks to install CWM recovery. Let it run, and you'll be S-OFF and ready to go!

If you have any questions/comments or found something that isn't right, go ahead and post, I would greatly appreciate any positive or negative feedback, as long as it's constructive.

Credits:
    attn1 for Downgrade tool
    Revolutionary team
    Guhl for misc_version
    jcase for Tacoroot
    PalmerCurling for Tacoroot downgrade guide
    MIVLives for bootloop fix
    scotty85 for better Tacoroot downgrade and HTCDev S-OFF method
    If you find anything I didn't give credits for and should have, let me know and I'll add it.
    Get S-OFF after using HTCDev Unlock
    (HSO)​
    If you used HTCDev unlock and want to get S-OFF, follow this guide. What you get from going from HTCDev unlocked to full S-OFF is a full unlock instead of HTC's restricted unlock. This way, you can flash custom radios and flash ROMs without needing to extract and separately flash the boot.img. (Note: If you already installed a custom recovery and a custom ROM, flash this ROM and start at "adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version" in the code.) To do this, first download this zip and extract it to C:/Android. You can extract it somewhere else, just replace C:/Android with the path to where you extracted it wherever it comes up. Next, download this zip and extract it to C:/Android. Download this zip as well and put it in your C:/Android folder, but do not extract it. Now, connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, turn on USB Debugging under Settings>Apps>Development, and disable fastboot under Settings>Power. Make sure your phone is fully charged. Open a command prompt by opening the start menu, typing "cmd" and hitting enter. Type in everything that is in black text. Notes and extra instructions will be written in blue. It is recommended that you copy/paste the code to avoid typos, to do this, copy by highlighting the line and hitting Ctrl+C as usual; to paste, go to your command prompt and click the small black icon in the upper left corner. A menu will pop up, go to Edit>Paste. Make sure you have not highlighted any spaces before or after the line or any of the blue text. Now, begin copying the code:

cd C:/Android
    md5sums RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra dio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip Result should be cea499f51b40055ffd118960e1e73255, if it isn't, redownload the miniadb zip.
    md5sums 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip Result should be ea6b98be48210d7797e62362f49ff751
    md5sums misc_version Result should be 050f55d34ddbcc860efa5982491437de
    adb devicesResult should be your phone's serial number.
    adb push CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip /sdcard This might take a minute or so. If it gives an error, try "adb push CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip /mnt/sdcard"
    adb reboot bootloader This should reboot your phone to a white menu, once it is there, continue.
    fastboot devices This should return your phone's serial number.
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img This might take a while, be patient and do not interrupt it. Once it is done, use the volume buttons on your phone to navigate through the menu until RECOVERY is highlighted, then press Power to select it. Your phone will reboot into another menu, once it shows up, select "install from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard," then scroll down and select CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip, and accept it. Once it is finished, press power then select reboot. Once you are fully booted, continue with the instructions.
    adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3
    adb reboot bootloader This will reboot you to the white menu again.
    fastboot devices Result should be your phone's serial number.
    fastboot getvar mainver Result should be 2.18.605.3. If it isn't, make sure you didn't get any errors in the above code and everything was copied correctly.
    fastboot oem lock
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra dio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip This will take a while, be patient and do not under any circumstances interrupt it.
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip This will also take a bit, again, do not interrupt it.
    fastboot reboot

That's the end of the code, you should be downgraded and can now get S-OFF by following the Revolutionary guide in the first post.

After S-OFF
    (ASO)​
    So, now you have S-OFF. Congratulations! The next step would be to flash a custom recovery, then either an su zip or a custom, rooted ROM. For recoveries, the choices are ClockworkMod, 4EXT or TWRP. I personally prefer 4EXT, but TWRP is also great and has many great features. ClockworkMod is a little slower, but still stable. All ROMs and recoveries for the Dinc2 can be found in the development forums (where you found this guide), and there are many different ROMs to choose from, so check them out! If you want something rock solid and completely stable, try out CondemnedSoul's CM7 or one of the Gingerbread Sense ROMs, or if you want something newer, a bit faster, but maybe has a few minor bugs, check out one of the many ICS ROMs. If you want the latest and greatest, with a few slight bugs, go Jelly Bean with aeroevan's CM10. If you were looking to just root, download and flash the zip found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053, however, I would recommend that you try one of the Gingerbread Sense ROMs such as Skyraider Zeus if you wanted something a bit different with extra features, or andybonestock for a faster, debloated ROM that looks and feels exactly like what you're used to, but rooted.
    for anyone doing the tacoroot method having trouble flashing the radio at the end, just skip it, then flash it after you've got s-off. it took me about 10 minutes to figure this out, so i figured i should post this in case more newbz get stuck
    Updated, let me know how the new radio flashing method in the tacoroot guide works, also added After S-OFF section. As always, if you have any feedback, go ahead and post it, user feedback is the only way I can fix this if there's anything wrong, thanks!
    I had problems (boot loops) with doing this on a refurb as well (radio was indeed the problem). Flash a different radio and it should work (Currently running the new MIUI w Android 4.0.4 :D)

BTW, this method still works even on the recent refurbs that verizon is sending out...intead of the zergRush you have to use tacoroot tho.

This method using tacoroot instead of zergRush is exactly what this is lol. Basically what it does for anyone who is curious is tacoroot uses an exploit with the recovery log (which is why you need to reboot into recovery) to gain access to default.prop (or maybe it was local.prop, don't remember exactly), and it writes the line ro.kernel.qemu="1". This tells the system to boot as an emulator, which gives us temporary root access, so we can now use the misc_version tool to write that 2.whateveritwas number to the mainver, which tricks the system into thinking it has a lower version number, so we can flash an RUU that is actually a downgrade. This version is the one the Revolutionary tool was developed for, so then that can be use to get S-OFF. Long story short, zergRush and tacoroot are both methods to gain temp root which we use to trick the system into letting us downgrade. The only reason we need to use tacoroot now is because the zergRush exploit was patched in the latest firmware update.
    Edit: wow, was not expecting to be typing that wall of text when I responded to that lol, hopefully it helps people understand how this actually works.