[Infinity issues/defects/good features] Share your issues, defects or best features

Search This thread

mdemons12

Apr 11, 2012
Melbourne
Huge defect is the loose screen. Clicks all over the place and ruins the experience even when touching the screen and not the sides.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

bosotros

Oct 13, 2011
Hmm... I usually like Asus products very much, especially their PC hardware.
Their quality are superb.
I think their tablet is the exception...

I think the TF700 build quality is great. I had a TF101 before this and the quality of the case and the keyboard dock of the Infinity is miles ahead of the original coffee colored TF (which I love btw). I realize there are people who got units with build problems, I feel lucky that mine doesn't have the weird detaching screen issue, but overall it's an outstanding design and superb quality in fit and finish (imho).

I know I'd feel different if I had one that was falling apart and I sympathize with anyone who's got one with build problems. I returned my first one because the screen was outrageously yellow. The new one isn't nearly as bad but the color's still too yellow. I found an app that fixes it well enough that I don't notice it anymore. I'm assuming the problems with IO speed and the microSD card slot will get fixed.

For the moment I'm happy but only because I'm trusting that Asus will stay on this project and fix all the bugs. I'm hoping that Google will keep improving Android.

ravensportal

Mar 17, 2011
Oklahoma City
Ok Im on my 3rd Infinty now, last one had the detached screen by the power button. This ones looks like it's good. Haven't had time to look it over in detail but hope this is the keeper. Don't think BB wants to see me anymore, LOL. Getting tired of running back and forth, never had this type of a quality build issue with any of my high end tech gear before. 500 is a lot to spend on a tablet....

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Ok Im on my 3rd Infinty now, last one had the detached screen by the power button. This ones looks like it's good. Haven't had time to look it over in detail but hope this is the keeper. Don't think BB wants to see me anymore, LOL. Getting tired of running back and forth, never had this type of a quality build issue with any of my high end tech gear before. 500 is a lot to spend on a tablet....
Good luck! I hope this one's a keeper.

monkey10120

Jun 13, 2011

Exchanging for my 3rd one tomorrow. My last 2 had terrible light bleed and the 2nd one had bad i/o. None had the loose screen that people are talking about though. I hope it is my last one. if not ill just RMA it but I dont want to have to wait.

mischiew

Feb 22, 2011
The only defect I have so far is a group of pixels suffering from what seems to be a hole in the backlight at almost all viewing angles, so the user sees a small spot. It's very annoying.

Stupid merchant wouldn't replace the device, so it'll have to be with ASUS directly. I hope there aren't too many with similar screen problems.

Mainly two complaints, the first one with the silly dynamic contrast "SmartDimmer" that can't be turned off, this is a real pain and a feature that has obviously not been validated properly.

Then I'm a bit annoyed with this CMClient tracker / "warranty voided when rooted" mentioned here, but this seems to be an isolated case so not verifiable. Especially since one must be root to disable the SmartDimmer annoyance ;)

Otherwise it seems a decent tablet, stuttering quite a bit but hopefully this will improve with JB being rolled out.

(PS: jeez, this captcha is also a pain... we are a tad paranoid over here it seems?)

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Wow, this is reminding me of the prime threads..lol.

Do the later model units seem to have issues fixed? I got a refund on my prime and contimplated getting an infinity. But I decided to give the galaxy note 10.1 a test run first. Its panning out very well with it. The negative reviews on website are nothing representative ofbthe actual product. You can see this by checking out their forum. Mostly smooth sailing over there and no real major issues like here. I have lil less than 30days before my best buy return is up. I still wonder about the infinity. I still have my prime dock also. I got lucky with prime in getting a generally good unit. Don't know how my luck would play out a second round going with infinity. The thing is this note 10.1 is performing so well. No crashes. No ANR, no build issues, no problems or crashes playing intense games like nova3 or dead trigger, no I/O issues, & This note 10.1 is actually the most powerful tablet on the market now. I love tegra3 (I have a nexus7) but this Exynos 4 quadcore is more powerful CPU and GPU wise than anything thing in android market today. Including tegra3. I do miss the tegra3 optimized games though.

So what's the latest news and overall mood with the latest batches of infinity tablets? Has the build quality gotten better? Software issues been fixed? Its a shame seeing that developement hasn't taken off for this device yet. The hardware is great. One likely reason could be QC issues along with constant complaints. More than likely its the nexus 7 THST has stolen away all the major developers since the price point is cheap and JB performs nearly flawless on it.

Anyone THST has bought their infinity in last 2 weeks or so, how is your device?

whitepc

Dec 1, 2009
I have the clicking noise as well. If you look from corner to corner you may see that the screen glass is slightly flexing ( mine is). To me, the removal of the top and addition of the plastic back has compromised the rigidness of the the aluminum back, casing it to flex during production.

This is my only defect that i can see. everything else is good. If you have a dock, close it and see if the rubber tab stops are touching. This is where I saw this was an issue.

P.S. I had the Prime and the screen and back cover were rock solid.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

d14b0ll0s

Sep 4, 2011
demandarin, we should get JB pretty soon, so this should be quite a definitive answer, where this is all going, but I am quite happy with it. On the other hand, there are still some lags (far less with the latest, .26 update) while doing some heavy data copying in the background, there are still random reboots every few days, not so much of the FCs. I don't have any light bleed or WiFi/GPS issues, so this is probably one of these "better" units (at first I had to do a data wipe to improve performance and benchmarks results, though, but this is minor).
From what you're saying, the Note seems to be a great device. If you don't need what's in the Infinity, you should probably give it a go. When it comes to my preferences, after seeing a few tablets and the Infinity with its FHD screen and the dock, I would simply never trade it for anything else, even if it means having some lags while copying data (which I'm doing far less than in the first months, as there's nothing wrong with watching movies from one of the SD cards). You know the dock part already, so I guess it's up to you now. We'd love to have your here, however :)
Development should be better with the JB out, some XDA members are struggling to get it running on the new SoC, so ASUS should help them soon :)

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington

Do the later model units seem to have issues fixed? I got a refund on my prime and contimplated getting an infinity. But I decided to give the galaxy note 10.1 a test run first. Its panning out very well with it. The negative reviews on website are nothing representative ofbthe actual product. You can see this by checking out their forum. Mostly smooth sailing over there and no real major issues like here. I have lil less than 30days before my best buy return is up. I still wonder about the infinity. I still have my prime dock also. I got lucky with prime in getting a generally good unit. Don't know how my luck would play out a second round going with infinity. The thing is this note 10.1 is performing so well. No crashes. No ANR, no build issues, no problems or crashes playing intense games like nova3 or dead trigger, no I/O issues, & This note 10.1 is actually the most powerful tablet on the market now. I love tegra3 (I have a nexus7) but this Exynos 4 quadcore is more powerful CPU and GPU wise than anything thing in android market today. Including tegra3. I do miss the tegra3 optimized games though.

So what's the latest news and overall mood with the latest batches of infinity tablets? Has the build quality gotten better? Software issues been fixed? Its a shame seeing that developement hasn't taken off for this device yet. The hardware is great. One likely reason could be QC issues along with constant complaints. More than likely its the nexus 7 THST has stolen away all the major developers since the price point is cheap and JB performs nearly flawless on it.

Anyone THST has bought their infinity in last 2 weeks or so, how is your device?

You and I know very well how things go in these forums. The people with little to no issues which I still strongly believe is the majority is being dwarfed by a few with legitimate concerns/problems. My Infinity is doing very well. Its speedy and smooth as it should. No issues with Wifi and GPS is strong just like the dongle on the Prime except without the actual device. BT audio pairing and streaming is flawless for me. Only thing I noticed is the minor LB, but not an issue. This tablet is night and day compared to our retired Primes. I love watching movies and I tell yah man nothing beats 1900x1200 HD quality no matter how others spin it. Add all the other features we know and love about the Prime its a beast! I know Note is a juggernaut of a tablet with its processor speed... But the Infinity ain't no slouch either. When Jelly Bean drops it will make this tablet even more appealing to me. Hey The Tegra games look sooo much nicer on an HD screen!!! Your missing out;)

Last edited:

Hcor

Dec 4, 2010
Screen fixture defects

ASUS TF700T right out of the box with significant screen flex/adhesion/fit problems.
Received from newegg.com on 1 September 2012. ...RMA in-progress...

Pictures of all the edges show some areas of the screen being reasonably flush with the chassis, but it is rather inconsistent.
These may be helpful as a reference to determine the severity of display to chassis interface issues.

Cheers.

IMG_20120902_184844.jpg

IMG_20120902_185004.jpg

IMG_20120902_185036.jpg

IMG_20120902_185111.jpg

IMG_20120902_185146.jpg

IMG_20120902_185214.jpg

IMG_20120902_185233.jpg

IMG_20120902_185329.jpg

IMG_20120902_185407.jpg

IMG_20120902_185935.jpg

Reactions: Thats OK

Joeful

Aug 22, 2012
www.twitter.com
I believe that these types of lash out complaint threads are unnecessary, and if you truly hate the tablet so much I suggest you return it. I understand trying to get issues resolved, but when someone tries to help with your issues and you attack them then well... That's trolling bro.

This isn't a "lash out thread". A lot of people do a ton of research before buying a device. A lot of that research is done within forum communities.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

These pros and cons are specifically for MY device.

Pros:

1. Sturdy and solid physical build (I haven't experienced any cracking or clicking noise when using the device)
2. Very light (even when using a case or protective cover)
3. Beautiful screen (arguably the best display you'll find on any Android tablet on the market)
4. Android OS (ICS and eventually Jelly Bean)
5. Handles high definition video very well (with the exception of the .MKV format)
6. Automatic screen brightness is very responsive (although I noticed that it does better at responding to light than responding to darkness)
7. The rear facing camera is of good quality
8. ASUS quick setting panel is very useful
9. The Tegra 3 processor is very snappy
10. I LOVE the grassy live wallpaper (hahaha)

Cons:

1. The metal on the back of the device is VERY scratch prone
2. There were a few blemishes and nicks on the material between the bezel and the screen (not a major deal but I expected more from ASUS)
3. Minimal light bleed (I can only see it on boot and a small amount on the status bar)
4. There is one STUCK pixel (it is not black so I can only assume it's NOT dead)
5. WiFi reception could be a bit better
6. When sleeping during economy mode, the device will not respond to the power button (I assume that can be fixed in a firmware patch)
7. The speaker is on the back (volume can be boosted with Volume +)
8. Bloatware (there isn't a HUGE amount but some of it is a little irritating. much better than Verizon devices though)
9. The keyboard does not have voice recognition built into it

That is really all I have to comment on for now. In the future, I hope ASUS improves the position of the speaker (front facing speakers) and the material used to make up the back portion of the tablet (maybe some type of glossed material). I try not to obsess how the tablet looks physically but when you're spending a LOT of money on a device, it should meet more than what you expected. I think that they need to step up quality control a tad.

Overall, I'd say I'm pleased with what I purchased. The Android tablet industry is still very young. I expect to see a ton of breakthroughs in the next few years and I'm very excited.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
ASUS TF700T right out of the box with significant screen flex/adhesion/fit problems.

Pictures of all the edges show some areas of the screen being reasonably flush with the chassis, but it is rather inconsistent.
These may be helpful as a reference to determine the severity of display to chassis interface issues.

Cheers.

*WOW* - the images that you posted are unbelievable!! How in the world did that *ever* make it out of the factory - it's *obviously* defective. Unless this is happening after it leaves the factory, due to the adhesion failing if it gets hot or something (like when sitting in a warehouse or a UPS truck, for example)?

The Nexus 7 seems to suffer from similar adhesion issues - maybe Asus is simply using poor adhesive?? If that's the case, they really need to recall the affected devices and switch adhesives!

There is simply no excuse the for this level of poor QC, especially on a "premium" device such as the TF700...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

CandyAndy

Jul 29, 2009

Cheers.

http://s17.postimage.org/zemtdnxe7/IMG_20120902_184844.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://s8.postimage.org/put0ob6zp/IMG_20120902_185004.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://s8.postimage.org/z59q5l739/IMG_20120902_185036.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://s8.postimage.org/a0ips67mt/IMG_20120902_185111.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://s8.postimage.org/w0z28sqat/IMG_20120902_185146.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://s8.postimage.org/c8ww9ieqt/IMG_20120902_185214.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://s8.postimage.org/whk9v8e1x/IMG_20120902_185233.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://s8.postimage.org/mphlpl351/IMG_20120902_185329.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://s8.postimage.org/h2l8s40md/IMG_20120902_185407.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://s8.postimage.org/u80qy7uhx/IMG_20120902_185935.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
Oh wow..seeing this starting to regret that I returned my..it seemed to be quite a prime unit out from this sh*t QC..

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Whoa!

Cheers.

Wow man that is crap!
If I'd got that I'd be freaking out...sadly this is a danger in the on-line purchase game.

I wonder how these tablets are packaged?
By machine or trained gorillas...

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va

Cheers.

IMG_20120902_184844.jpg

IMG_20120902_185004.jpg

IMG_20120902_185036.jpg

IMG_20120902_185111.jpg

IMG_20120902_185146.jpg

IMG_20120902_185214.jpg

IMG_20120902_185233.jpg

IMG_20120902_185329.jpg

IMG_20120902_185407.jpg

IMG_20120902_185935.jpg

That's the worst screen lift I've ever seen. Return that immediately. Lol

Nov 8, 2010
One more complaint

Hey Guys,

I bought my TF700 less than a week ago and this evening I got this:

Tablet001.jpg

Seems like a row of pixels got stuck. And it shows as soon as the boot screen appears. So obviously no software problem.
Sending it back to amazon right now.

Seems to be the first mention of this problem, so probably a production error. I just find it curious that it happened after five days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear Asus customers/future customers,
    after almost a week of using, testing, playing with this tablet and also reading this forum i thought it's time to create a topic about all the issues and defects we encountered.
    Also if thing go well and the mods will give a hand to keep this topic clean we could add the positive thoughts and the strong parts of this tablet too. So lets start with the issues and defects. (On the first page i will put only issues and defects confirmed by more users and not isolated ones)

THE BAD PART

Overall Build issues/defects including materials and hardware :

1) The screen frame and the aluminium body doesn't fit equally around the tablet
    In my case the bottom left (near the dock connection) of the screen frame is 2 mm out and when pressing it is going down, then up again

2) Clicking sound (like a cheap 100$ plastic device) when you hold it
    Sadly i can confirm this too and with my device this clicking comes from the left side (in landscape mode) of the tablet. This is also very annoying and you can hear it loud and clear, especially during indoor use.

3) Light bleeding
    I can notice this mostly when booting or in very dark conditions. In my case it's located mostly on bottom and the right side, and doesn't really bother with normal use.

4) Volume buttons
    Made with very low quality and sometimes you are afraid that will get stuck into the frame or even break.

5) Flash memory/internal memory
    This is a well known issue and many review sites pointed out this issue that as you already know was almost fixed with the latest firmware update but still not totally gone.
    Try a benchmark application which test random read/write and you will see that your 3 years old device can do better than your Infinity :banghead:

6) Some issue with Bluetooth streaming

Software/OTA updates/Bootloader Unlock --> both issues are now fixed

1) Users doesn't receive OTA updates even if their are on stock firmware and locked bootloader
    UPDATE 07/08/2012 - Asus fixed the issue and it seems that many users are getting the OTA so thx Asus for listening to us and please keep doing so. :thumbup:

2) Users not able to unlock the bootloader with Asus Unlock Tool -- fixed on 07/08/2012

Reading on various boards (from Asus Prime,TF300T and TF700) looks like this two issues are connected somehow but what is even more important is that Asus doesn't support the unlock issues in anyway (and is not covered by your warranty) but some users used the OTA updates issue for asking repacement/repair ticket (so this one seems to be covered by the warranty).

UPDATE: Issue is fixed so more kudos to Asus... thx for the relatively quick fix

Marketing
    1) Selling the TF201 dock as a TF700 dock @ higher price is not nice for the customers

Now this is only a part of the story and i will keep updating the topic.

For Asus : Dear Asus when i discovered the above issues i got really sad but after that i've said "hey i can live with that" or "nah, doesn't bother too much", but i wonder why do we have to say that when is you the one who failed.Is this your high-end pricy tablet that you advertised a lot? What would you say if someone would make you pay for a Ferrari but you would only get a half Fiat/half Ferrari?

NOTE: I'm not trying to discourage anyone or stop people from buying the Infinity which for my needs is still a great product and i keep mine even with the above issues. Also some of these are not covered by the warranty so i guess that even if someone want to return the product it wouldn't be possible (one example would be the bootloader unlock issue)... at least not everywhere.

THE GOOD PART

1) The design is great and the aluminium body add a good touch to the overall design quality but also helps dissipate heat.
    2) The device is quite slim and doesn't weight much and this i very important for a portable device
    3) The screen is the best part of this tablet and is wonderful in any use condition. Browsing, reading, gaming or watching movies with this display is awesome. You can also hook a HDMI cable from the MicroHDMI port to your TV or monitor and enjoy Android on a large display.
    4) CPU and GPU have so real horse power and will not let you down. Keep in mind that aren't much applications which make complete use of all this power yet.
    5) Digitizer is also great and typing is very easy and smooth... no issue so far
    6) The 8MPixel camera is also good but please don't expect a professional camera. Is one of the best camera in the tablet market
    7) The Keyboard dock is also a great gadget and maybe a must for people who use this tablet for work. Many would say that you can buy a Bluetooth keyboard for less money, true... but it will drain your battery and will not fit with the tablet like the original one does.
    8) Another important thing is that Asus is well known as one of the best when it comes to software/firmware updates.

Guys please feel free to post more features and i will update. ;)

You and I know very well how things go in these forums. The people with little to no issues which I still strongly believe is the majority is being dwarfed by a few with legitimate concerns/problems. My Infinity is doing very well. Its speedy and smooth as it should. No issues with Wifi and GPS is strong just like the dongle on the Prime except without the actual device. BT audio pairing and streaming is flawless for me. Only thing I noticed is the minor LB, but not an issue. This tablet is night and day compared to our retired Primes. I love watching movies and I tell yah man nothing beats 1900x1200 HD quality no matter how others spin it. Add all the other features we know and love about the Prime its a beast! I know Note is a juggernaut of a tablet with its processor speed... But the Infinity ain't no slouch either. When Jelly Bean drops it will make this tablet even more appealing to me. Hey The Tegra games look sooo much nicer on an HD screen!!! Your missing out;)

I think threads like this are very helpful. Similar threads about the TF201 helped me make my decision to buy and unlock, root, and flash a custom rom.

Many consumer have a TF201and have no clue why it is so glitchy and if they are the only ones. Honestly criticizing a product doesn't make you a fanboy.

Thanks for sharing info guys.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda app-developers app
    demandarin, we should get JB pretty soon, so this should be quite a definitive answer, where this is all going, but I am quite happy with it. On the other hand, there are still some lags (far less with the latest, .26 update) while doing some heavy data copying in the background, there are still random reboots every few days, not so much of the FCs. I don't have any light bleed or WiFi/GPS issues, so this is probably one of these "better" units (at first I had to do a data wipe to improve performance and benchmarks results, though, but this is minor).
    From what you're saying, the Note seems to be a great device. If you don't need what's in the Infinity, you should probably give it a go. When it comes to my preferences, after seeing a few tablets and the Infinity with its FHD screen and the dock, I would simply never trade it for anything else, even if it means having some lags while copying data (which I'm doing far less than in the first months, as there's nothing wrong with watching movies from one of the SD cards). You know the dock part already, so I guess it's up to you now. We'd love to have your here, however :)
    Development should be better with the JB out, some XDA members are struggling to get it running on the new SoC, so ASUS should help them soon :)