WI-FI hotspot tethering not working

Search This thread

fakhri

Aug 16, 2007
Hi, I'm using an unlocked Samsung i777 outside the US. But the fact that wifi tethering is not working. Every time when I try to enable it, it says "mobile data not available or invalid sim".

3G/HSDPA connecton fine and SIMcard has a data plan and I can even use usb tethering.
How can I make it work? Phone is rooted.
I am using hellraised stock Rom XWLA4. When was UCKH7 also not working.
In system/app have 3 app wifi 1.0, wifi sharing 1.0, wifi sharing manager 1.0. I tried to freeze them, no luck.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Either wifi tethering is broken on XWLA4 (I haven't played with it myself yet), or something about the CSC or apns-conf.xml doesn't work with your carrier.

Hellraiser is designed under the assumption that only AT&T customers would subject themselves to the carrier-mangling of the I777 and as such, includes an AT&T-tuned CSC. There's a possibility that you need to remove all of the CSC files from the Hellraiser zip and wipe/reflash. It's either that or XWLA4 is busted.

Reactions: fakhri

gireeshtty9

Jan 13, 2011
Bangalore
Hahah lol...dud even I had exactly the same concern. Its not a big problem :D Jus download FoxFi from Android Market and voila! It will take away ur pain :) It enables the WiFi hotspot tethering like a charm without any problem. Its free..Jus type the above name in Android market and install. Then open the app and touch on Activate WiFi hotspot. Its done. Let me know bout it. TC.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Either wifi tethering is broken on XWLA4 (I haven't played with it myself yet), or something about the CSC or apns-conf.xml doesn't work with your carrier.

Hellraiser is designed under the assumption that only AT&T customers would subject themselves to the carrier-mangling of the I777 and as such, includes an AT&T-tuned CSC. There's a possibility that you need to remove all of the CSC files from the Hellraiser zip and wipe/reflash. It's either that or XWLA4 is busted.

You are making it more complicated for him. Its jus an app away bro. He is trying to go in his phones Settings->Wireless And Networks->Tethering and portable hotspot and then trying to enable it. Its not working. But by using FoxFi app its enabled and works perfectly:)

fakhri

Aug 16, 2007
[/COLOR]

You are making it more complicated for him. Its jus an app away bro. He is trying to go in his phones Settings->Wireless And Networks->Tethering and portable hotspot and then trying to enable it. Its not working. But by using FoxFi app its enabled and works perfectly:)

Sory, not working! Showing "Fail to start Hotspot. Your phone is not yet supported by FoxFi".

fakhri

Aug 16, 2007

You are the best!!! Thank You!!! Working fine!!!

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Hahah lol...dud even I had exactly the same concern. Its not a big problem :D Jus download FoxFi from Android Market and voila! It will take away ur pain :) It enables the WiFi hotspot tethering like a charm without any problem. Its free..Jus type the above name in Android market and install. Then open the app and touch on Activate WiFi hotspot. Its done. Let me know bout it. TC.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Third-party tethering apps are not a solution unless there is no way to fix native tethering. Most of not all of them put the device into adhoc mode, which is incompatible with many devices.

gorgy76

Nov 19, 2010
Third-party tethering apps are not a solution unless there is no way to fix native tethering. Most of not all of them put the device into adhoc mode, which is incompatible with many devices.

I do agree, I have tried foxfi before but it will hang and force close uninstalled and reinstalled the app with same results. I have uninstalled tethering provision app on rooted stock ics but then again when I start the native wifi hotspot it just hang for several seconds the force close saying the application setting has stopped. Now I just remember installing this foxfi app again upon reading this thread and am now happy it works and I can now tether thru wifi hotspot with my phone. Having a solution to the native phone wifi hotspot though is pretty sweet. I don't know if the uninstalling of the tethering provision app has help but at least I have a functional wifi hotspot now.

Last edited:

Stackman1

Apr 7, 2012
I do agree, I have tried foxfi before but it will hang and force close uninstalled and reinstalled the app with same results. I have uninstalled tethering provision app on rooted stock ics but then again when I start the native wifi hotspot it just hang for several seconds the force close saying the application setting has stopped. Now I just remember installing this foxfi app again upon reading this thread and am now happy it works and I can now tether thru wifi hotspot with my phone. Having a solution to the native phone wifi hotspot though is pretty sweet. I don't know if the uninstalling of the tethering provision app has help but at least I have a functional wifi hotspot now.

I was searching for answers for my HotSpot problem and found this thread.....I'm piggy backing because it remains open even though maybe resolved - hope that is ok?

I couldn't seem to get my Hotspot to work and so I downloaded FoxFi. It seems to send a signal fine, and my iPad sees the SSID fine. My phone shows Connected: my mac address- duration - ipad's ip address but when I try to go to a web site my ipad show the following error dialog:

Cannot Open Page
Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet

Thoughts anyone?

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
Google Pixel 5a
Yer not asking us to help you trouble shoot something that isn't even running the Android operating system are you? Cause obviously that'd be silly to do in a forum like this. Does the tethering work with your computer? If so its a problem with the Apple product you're talking about and should be addressed in their forums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Stackman1

Apr 7, 2012
Yer not asking us to help you trouble shoot something that isn't even running the Android operating system are you? Cause obviously that'd be silly to do in a forum like this. Does the tethering work with your computer? If so its a problem with the Apple product you're talking about and should be addressed in their forums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Well, when i use my native Android Wi-Fi Hotspot the phone says it is an active hotspot and my iPad does connect, but I get the same error message when I try and browse the net:

Cannot Open Page
Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet

I would naturally prefer to use the native mode.....any help with that?
Thanks in advance

a4ankit

Sep 24, 2012
Dint work on my infuse 4g

""" Hi, i tried lots of things but it doesnt work. i download FoxFi app also but still unable to use Wifi Hotspot.."""
Please help......

blacksteel1988

Sep 24, 2012
Tegucigalpa
Worked for me

Actually, FoxFi Worked for me, only thing is that i got the free version and it shuts down every 30 min i believe, and i have to re start it. very annoying.

Mine is i717 as well.:good::good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.