version 2012-12-17, built on Acer_AV051_A510_1.034.00 (JellyBean)
After several years of XDA absense, I'm back in the game! I've provided you guys with a working CWM-Based Recovery for the A510, but my main area of interest is ROM cooking. For those of you who are unfamiliar with a NoThrills ROM: It's a stock ROM, the way it should have been. Manufacturers often intend to build the best devices ever, but due to budget cuts or rushed schedules the most important part of development (finetuning) is skipped. That's where I step in! I create stock ROMs that look and feel the same as the original manufacturer ROM, but are vastly different on the inside.
Here's what's visually changed from the original Stock ROM:
Here's what's changed on the inside:
- Added additional languages: This ROM contains: Arabic, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish and Ukrainian.
- ThrillsKernel (experimental): Click here for full details on the kernel.
- Rooted: SU (3.1.1), BusyBox (1.20.2) and SuperUser (3.1.3) installed by default.
- Fully Deodexed: Both system apps and system framework.
- Zipaligned: For better RAM usage.
- /etc/init.d support: Allows you to run your own scripts or mods on boot.
- System apps updated: See the second post for the full list.
- FlexROM apps updated: See the second post for the full list.
- AGPS Patch applied and LTO downloadservice installed: This should get you a faster satellite lock.
- Ad-blocking HOSTS file: Makes your browsing experience faster and less annoying.
- Added English TextToSpeech files: Why were they missing in the first place, Acer? German, Spanish, French and Italian were included by default...
- Various performance tweaks: Faster file access, less logging, better response overall.
- Step 0:
Check this thread to see if you can help the community before you let us help you!
- Step 1:
If you don't have it already, install my CWM-Based Recovery.
- Step 2:
Download the ROM from this post, extract the .RAR files and put the .ZIP file on your internal or external SD Card.
- Step 3:
Start Recovery by powering down your device, holding the Volume down (**) button and turning it on again.
- Step 4:
Make a Nandroid Backup. I can't stress this enough. Select backup and restore and choose one of the backup options.
- Step 5:
This step is optional, but recommended when you first install this ROM. Select wipe data/factory reset. Note that this will wipe everything from your data partition, including downloaded apps and settings. Files on your internal or external SD Card are safe.
- Step 6:
Install this ROM by choosing install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard or choose zip from external sdcard.
- Step 7:
Wait for the installation to finish (this takes a few minutes). Spend your time reading the text below these installation instructions!
- Step 8:
Select reboot system now, and enjoy!
Please read the following carefully before installing this ROM:
- I am not responsible for anything you do to your tablet. Whatever you do, you do it at your own risk!
- This ROM is pre-rooted.
Do NOT attempt to install BusyBox or SU manually or you might break root.You can safely upgrade BusyBox and SU! When installed, this ROM will reboot the tablet on its own once, before Android fully boots. This is normal, it's not a boot loop but it's ensuring your tablet becomes rooted.
- First boot (after the automatic reboot) will take a while (5 minutes is no exception). Just be patient, it will boot faster next time.
- When the tablet has completed booting for the first time, give it another few minutes to get 'up to speed'. It should be much faster after about 5 minutes.
- Want themes? Get them somewhere else! I probably don't like your taste, you probably don't like mine. So why pretend? Use this ROM as your base and start theming yourself!
- Want mods? Your ideas might be good in your situation, they probably aren't in mine. Again, use this ROM as your base and start modding yourself!
- Found bugs? Let me know! Although I can't promise I'll be able to fix them all, at least I will try.
- Want to use this ROM as base for your own? Go ahead, make my day. But do credit me with a link to this thread, so people can also taste my flavorless contraptions.
- Want to give me your first born baby? I'd rather not have that, but if you really want to give me something: Either click the 'Donate to me' button on the left, or simply hit the 'Thanks' button on this post.
See second post.
See second post.
- Full download
(MD5 for the .ZIP file: 97319b1ab22acbfec6ab45a0774ae99a)