infuse went swimming only workes when on charger

Search This thread

jdsatyr

Sep 17, 2010
Saugerties
My son took his phone swimming, got it dried out and actually works but kills the battery very quickly, will stay on as long as its on the charger. I have tried a new battery (I have many) and its not the battery. any suggestions not able to get a new one under warranty.

electricpete1

Aug 12, 2012
First things - turn phone off, remove from charger, take battery out. Leave in this condition to avoid further damage which may occur when you apply power to a wet phone.

Also, getting started on the drying process quickly is somewhat important (but not so important that you should rush to do anything without finding some instructions first).

Google using three words
wet phone rice

The first two hits look good:
http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4269047

Last edited:
Reactions: Truckerglenn

jdsatyr

Sep 17, 2010
Saugerties
First things - turn phone off, remove from charger, take battery out. Leave in this condition to avoid further damage which may occur when you apply power to a wet phone.

Also, getting started on the drying process quickly is somewhat important (but not so important that you should rush to do anything without finding some instructions first).

Google using three words
wet phone rice

The first two hits look good:
http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4269047

thanks but have been thru the drying and no power scenerio...... was over a week and a half ago.. did the batt pull and store in rice......

electricpete1

Aug 12, 2012
Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes that's a lot harder question.

You apparenlty have a high battery drain.
You've ruled out battery by swapping.

I guess before trying anything drastic, you might try typical approach to see if there is an application drawing battery (for example power tutor). That's a longshot since it would be unrelated to the water, but would be a shame to get intrusive if it's not required.

Other than than I guess you can try to have it cleaned to remove some contamination that may be causing like high-resistance short circuit causing a battery drain. I have no experience or recommendations on who might be able to do that. If trying yourself you might try inspecting accessible areas and disassembly to gain more access to the extent you feel comfortable. Possibly clean with compressed clean air or q-tips soaked in alchohol.... targeted cleaning if you can see corrosion, or longshot just clean everything in sight.... but that increases the risk level of something that is already risky (easy to damage things poking around inside your phone). If it were my phone I'd definitely be looking for someone else to do it rather than trying myself.

Sorry, not much help. Maybe someone else will chime in...

Last edited:

nim.whit

Sep 21, 2011
Sadly.... It is probably something on the board of the phone. If it only works when it is on the charger that means that no power is going from the battery to the motherboard. Same problem with a 3gs. Although that turned out to be a curoded chip on the battery itself, there is probably a bad part on the motherboard. You will most likely have to take it apart and look for water damage. Like curoded spots, and clean them of by CAREFULLY scraping the white off with a TOOTHPICK or something else soft and non metallic. That's all I can say, I've fixed a good many water damaged devices. But they all had on board battery's and the same part always went. The little chip controlling charging on the battery.

If you get it apart look around where the battery prongs are. Either there or maybe around the processor.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app

Prometh1216

Jan 23, 2012
Cleveland
Did the phone get powered on straight of water???

If so corrosion is a possibility more that likely the currenent arched and damaged the circuit .

Does the phone heat up when running off or on the charger ???

Again if so then phone motherboard. Was damaged and the power circuit is causing the drain and allows for it to function on the plug because it bypasses the damage.

Just my humble opinion....
My only suggestion is if our handy with electronic find another on eBay and switch out mother board.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM
Also may besomething by the battery connections causing a bad connection resulting in.bad power...just another idea

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Prometh1216

jdsatyr

Sep 17, 2010
Saugerties
Want give a thanks to every one for the suggestions... gonna pull out apart tonight and attempt a cleaning if that does not work will buy a new motherboard

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda premium

jdsatyr

Sep 17, 2010
Saugerties
That is for the suggestion.. had the phone apart, cleaned all the contacts.... phone boots up nicely, but totally shuts down when allowed to sleep N needs to be rebooted to start again.. also still killing the battery within minutes.... gonna get another mother board from eBay... thanks again for all the suggestions

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts