[GUIDE] For beginners - Root Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-i535/d2vzw

Search This thread

eMpTy43

Aug 30, 2012
Denver

THIS METHOD:
- ONLY WORKED FOR ICS (Android 4.0.x)
- IT WILL NOT WORK FOR THE SGS3 RUNNING JELLY BEAN (Android 4.1.x)

But I hate it when threads say that ^ or worse...
they don't get updated and you read it and/or try it for NOTHING!

So here you go...

CLICK HERE FOR AN AWESOME JELLY BEAN THREAD

Step by step guide to Root your phone, Unlock the bootloader, and then install ClockWorkMod Recovery. Also some unnecessary mods at the bottom if you're interested. I know there is another really well written guide for rooting the SGS3 and other mods but I wanted to post this and hope to get it sticky'd for the beginners

DISCLAIMER:
I am not responsible for any damage that happens to your device. I've made this guide as simple as possible and include less risky methods to achieve root and simple modifications. If you follow a link from this guide I am not responsible for the content on that page, read it in full yourself.

Confirmed working with newest VZW update/patch:
I535VRALG1
I535VRALG7
I535VRALF2
I535VRLHE -- Thanks DHamilton44!

GETTING ROOTED:
Navigate to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1aksh2bikfsne43/wmpWRj7Und
Download:
- Verizon_Wireless... (USB Drivers for SGS3)
- Root Debug FS.7z... (7zip (freeware) file used to one-click root)
Credit to Noxous Ninjas as he created this program. It's the best I've found to easily root my S3 without feeling the need to baby sit the phone during rooting.
Thanks Droidstyle for reminding me about the credits Noxous Ninjas deserves!

Install (Computer):
- USB drivers
- Unzip Root Debug tool to a folder of your choice

Enable USB Debugging and Unknown Sources (Phone):
- Settings -> Developer Options -> Tick USB debugging
- Settings -> Security -> Tick Unknown source

Plug in phone to computer using OEM USB cable:
- Allow the drivers to complete (the little balloon pop-up in the right hand corner will say "Device ready/installed" -something to that effect)

MUST BE RAN AS ADMINISTRATOR
Navigate to your extracted Root Debug FS folder (Computer):
- Double-click "RootDebugfs"
- Choose option 1 (press 1 and then enter)
- Read the disclaimer, IF YOU AGREE, press y, then enter
- USB drivers reminder appears, press any key to continue
- Unknown Sources/USB Debugging reminder appears, press any key to continue
- Yet another informational message appears (READ THIS ONE), then press any key to continue
- Root process starts -> WAIT UNTIL IT COMPLETES | DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR DEVICE
- Once complete you will need to open the Superuser app and click through the initial dialog to actually start the program/allow it to run in the background. -- Thanks Whyzor!

ON YOUR PHONE: Navigate to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1aksh2bikfsne43/wmpWRj7Und
Download the following from the APKs folder:
- ez_unlock.apk (Also found on Google Play store, free)
- rom_manager.apk (Also found on Google Play store, free)
- Normally when downloading them right to your phone it will immediately prompt you to install them, choose install in both instances
- Open your app drawer and open EZ-Unlock
- Accept/Grant the app SuperUser permissions, select Unlock, you should hear "That was easy" and the word "Unlocked" should show in green at the top of the screen

BEFORE CONTINUING: it is recommended that you are connected to a stable WiFi network to ensure a successful flash!
- Open your app drawer again and open ROM Manager
- Select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
- Find and select "Samsung Galaxy S3 (Verizon)"
- You'll see the blue bar at the top indicating progress, when it nears the end you'll need to Accept/Grant the app SuperUser permissions
- You may receive a message that Touch recovery is available, install if you'd like (I have read some posts a week or two ago about Touch recovery not always working flawlessly though, just FYI)

***AT THIS POINT ROOTING, BOOTLOADER UNLOCKING, AND CWM RECOVERY ARE COMPLETED/INSTALLED***

RECOMMENDED! BUT OPTIONAL: MAKING A NANDROID BACKUP
- I would recommend having your preferred apps and home screens set up prior to making a recovery :)
- From the ROM Manager application select "Reboot into Recovery"
- FYI: Recovery mode can be entered manually as well, turn the phone off.
- While off, press AND HOLD Vol. Up, Home, Power
- Once you see the "Samsung" boot screen you can release (There will also be some blue text in the top left hand corner, this indicates recovery mode is booting)
- Recovery mode navigation: Vol. Up/Down moves the selection, Power selects it
- Select "backup and restore"
- Select "backup to external sdcard"
- Wait for it to finish (Usually takes about 5 minutes)
- Select back to get to the main menu

CONGRATS!
- If all that worked your phone is now rooted and (hopefully) a backup has been made after rooting. This way if you start tinkering and break something you can (hopefully) restore back to this recovery.

REMOVE PERSISTANT/ONGOING WIFI NOTIFICATION AND POPUP (REQUIRES ROOT)
ON PHONE: Navigate to Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor
- Download: SQLite (Yes it's a paid app, support our Devs!)
- Open the app, Accept/Grant the app Superuser permissions
- Select Settings Storage
- Select settings.db
- Select system
- Long-press "wifi_offload_network_notify"
- Select "Edit Record"
- Change the value field to "0" (zero)
- Select Save
- Press back key
- Select "Secure"
- Long-press "wifi_networks_available_notification_on"
- Select "Edit Record"
- Select Save
- Reboot your phone

UI MODS (Not necessary but are definitely improvements in the UI)
- Notification bar toggles mod: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775235
- More (personalized versions): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28829000&postcount=67
--Above files are flashed using recovery

HOW TO: FLASH A .ZIP USING RECOVERY (REQUIRES ROOT & UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER)
**ONLY FLASH A ZIP UPDATE THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR MODEL AND OS**
- Know where you downloaded the file to (Preferrably external SD card)
- Reboot into recovery
- Choose "install zip from sdcard"
- Choose "install zip from (external) sdcard" -or wherever you saved it
- Choose the desired file you want to flash
- Scroll up (it's quicker) to select "Yes - ..."
- The file(s) will flash (progress at bottom), once it's done you can flash another or go back to the main menu and reboot!

Last edited:

That Baker Guy

Dec 11, 2011
Tobie Town
I'm having trouble getting rid of the persistent wifi notification, i have successfully achieve root, and flashed cwm. I go to edit record and the value is already a "0". any idea whats up here? i flashed one of those ui customizations you linked too if that matters.

eMpTy43

Aug 30, 2012
Denver
I'm having trouble getting rid of the persistent wifi notification, i have successfully achieve root, and flashed cwm. I go to edit record and the value is already a "0". any idea whats up here? i flashed one of those ui customizations you linked too if that matters.

One of the toggle customizations shouldn't bother it. There are 2 records to edit though, did you make both 0?

Relayed from the moon to xda via my handheld beam machine!

nattygirl

Jun 11, 2010
Been wanting to root my phone but have been too busy to do the research. I might take the plunge now, thanks to your guide. Sounds pretty straightforward.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

eMpTy43

Aug 30, 2012
Denver
Been wanting to root my phone but have been too busy to do the research. I might take the plunge now, thanks to your guide. Sounds pretty straightforward.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

Go for it! If you have any questions just reply on the thread. I've got my notifications on. ;)

Reactions: jbdan

prztruspaz

Feb 14, 2011
Bronx
lol im the guy who hates to read more of the visual guy, found a youtube video on how to root the phone after rooting what else should i do in order to gain complete access

nattygirl

Jun 11, 2010
Go for it! If you have any questions just reply on the thread. I've got my notifications on. ;)

Just rooted!!!! Couldn't be any easier!!! Now time to start flashing!!!

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

HELP!!!!

Followed this to a "T". Everything went smoothly and appeared successful until I flashed a rom. I flashed Jellybean CM10 for VZW. Now all I get is a screen that says "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest Verizon Wireless store for help.".

I tried booting into recovery manually so I could do restore my backup, but i can't even get back into it. It just keeps taking me to this screen.

Last edited:

nattygirl

Jun 11, 2010
Followed the guide to return to stock using odin and repeated all of these steps.... i'm back in business now.... phew!!!!

bbeelzebub

May 11, 2010
Beverly Hills, CA
This guide is the best I've read yet!

I've been casually reading these forums for over two years and still haven't decided to lose my rooting virginity, probably because every guide always seems so damn confusing. This looks nice and simple.

3 questions:

1- If I'm not going to be putting on a custom ROM yet, do I need to continue and install CWM right away? Can I just wait and do it when I finally take the next step? (I really just want to root to get rid of some bloat for right now. I know I'll last a day though where I start wanting to use mods and tweaks though, will I need to install CWM for that?)

2- Can I just ODIN back to stock instead of bothering with a Nandroid backup? I keep nothing on my phone that I feel is of importance for backing up. Everythings in the cloud.

3- When I go to flash my first ROM, does it need to be on the internal SD or on the external SD card (I have a jillion laying around, but they are only 2GB a piece)?

Thanks!

eMpTy43

Aug 30, 2012
Denver
This is Noxous Ninjas root Tool! its pretty obvious when it says "Noxious Ninja" at the top of the program. Download both versions and compare them.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1792342
I'll put credits in my OP. Didn't mean to imply that was my work at all! That was just the most straight forward and one-click program I'd found to root the S3.
I've been casually reading these forums for over two years and still haven't decided to lose my rooting virginity, probably because every guide always seems so damn confusing. This looks nice and simple.
Thank you :)
1- If I'm not going to be putting on a custom ROM yet, do I need to continue and install CWM right away? Can I just wait and do it when I finally take the next step? (I really just want to root to get rid of some bloat for right now. I know I'll last a day though where I start wanting to use mods and tweaks though, will I need to install CWM for that?)
Even if you don't flash a custom ROM or custom .zip update a backup is nice to have in case you make one little tweak that breaks something. Eliminates the hassle of having to flash back to stock and start from scratch again.
2- Can I just ODIN back to stock instead of bothering with a Nandroid backup? I keep nothing on my phone that I feel is of importance for backing up. Everythings in the cloud.
You sure can. Keep in mind ODIN flashing does have a higher risk than a Nandroid backup. You simply cannot perma-brick your phone if there is no cable plugged into it.
3- When I go to flash my first ROM, does it need to be on the internal SD or on the external SD card (I have a jillion laying around, but they are only 2GB a piece)?
Having either a full ROM or a .zip update ROM flash on the external SD is the best scenario. Part of a nice clean install is to make sure a factory reset was done (which wipes the internal SD). If your ROM is on the internal SD... well you know the rest lol :)

prztruspaz

Feb 14, 2011
Bronx
i have been stuck on the odin downloading screen and command prompt is still looking for device to be detected. i waited till it installed the driver now what ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THIS METHOD:
    - ONLY WORKED FOR ICS (Android 4.0.x)
    - IT WILL NOT WORK FOR THE SGS3 RUNNING JELLY BEAN (Android 4.1.x)

But I hate it when threads say that ^ or worse...
    they don't get updated and you read it and/or try it for NOTHING!

So here you go...

CLICK HERE FOR AN AWESOME JELLY BEAN THREAD

Step by step guide to Root your phone, Unlock the bootloader, and then install ClockWorkMod Recovery. Also some unnecessary mods at the bottom if you're interested. I know there is another really well written guide for rooting the SGS3 and other mods but I wanted to post this and hope to get it sticky'd for the beginners

DISCLAIMER:
    I am not responsible for any damage that happens to your device. I've made this guide as simple as possible and include less risky methods to achieve root and simple modifications. If you follow a link from this guide I am not responsible for the content on that page, read it in full yourself.

Confirmed working with newest VZW update/patch:
    I535VRALG1
    I535VRALG7
    I535VRALF2
    I535VRLHE -- Thanks DHamilton44!

GETTING ROOTED:
    Navigate to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1aksh2bikfsne43/wmpWRj7Und
    Download:
    - Verizon_Wireless... (USB Drivers for SGS3)
    - Root Debug FS.7z... (7zip (freeware) file used to one-click root)
    Credit to Noxous Ninjas as he created this program. It's the best I've found to easily root my S3 without feeling the need to baby sit the phone during rooting.
    Thanks Droidstyle for reminding me about the credits Noxous Ninjas deserves!

Install (Computer):
    - USB drivers
    - Unzip Root Debug tool to a folder of your choice

Enable USB Debugging and Unknown Sources (Phone):
    - Settings -> Developer Options -> Tick USB debugging
    - Settings -> Security -> Tick Unknown source

Plug in phone to computer using OEM USB cable:
    - Allow the drivers to complete (the little balloon pop-up in the right hand corner will say "Device ready/installed" -something to that effect)

MUST BE RAN AS ADMINISTRATOR
    Navigate to your extracted Root Debug FS folder (Computer):
    - Double-click "RootDebugfs"
    - Choose option 1 (press 1 and then enter)
    - Read the disclaimer, IF YOU AGREE, press y, then enter
    - USB drivers reminder appears, press any key to continue
    - Unknown Sources/USB Debugging reminder appears, press any key to continue
    - Yet another informational message appears (READ THIS ONE), then press any key to continue
    - Root process starts -> WAIT UNTIL IT COMPLETES | DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR DEVICE
    - Once complete you will need to open the Superuser app and click through the initial dialog to actually start the program/allow it to run in the background. -- Thanks Whyzor!

ON YOUR PHONE: Navigate to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1aksh2bikfsne43/wmpWRj7Und
    Download the following from the APKs folder:
    - ez_unlock.apk (Also found on Google Play store, free)
    - rom_manager.apk (Also found on Google Play store, free)
    - Normally when downloading them right to your phone it will immediately prompt you to install them, choose install in both instances
    - Open your app drawer and open EZ-Unlock
    - Accept/Grant the app SuperUser permissions, select Unlock, you should hear "That was easy" and the word "Unlocked" should show in green at the top of the screen

BEFORE CONTINUING: it is recommended that you are connected to a stable WiFi network to ensure a successful flash!
    - Open your app drawer again and open ROM Manager
    - Select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
    - Find and select "Samsung Galaxy S3 (Verizon)"
    - You'll see the blue bar at the top indicating progress, when it nears the end you'll need to Accept/Grant the app SuperUser permissions
    - You may receive a message that Touch recovery is available, install if you'd like (I have read some posts a week or two ago about Touch recovery not always working flawlessly though, just FYI)

***AT THIS POINT ROOTING, BOOTLOADER UNLOCKING, AND CWM RECOVERY ARE COMPLETED/INSTALLED***

RECOMMENDED! BUT OPTIONAL: MAKING A NANDROID BACKUP
    - I would recommend having your preferred apps and home screens set up prior to making a recovery :)
    - From the ROM Manager application select "Reboot into Recovery"
    - FYI: Recovery mode can be entered manually as well, turn the phone off.
    - While off, press AND HOLD Vol. Up, Home, Power
    - Once you see the "Samsung" boot screen you can release (There will also be some blue text in the top left hand corner, this indicates recovery mode is booting)
    - Recovery mode navigation: Vol. Up/Down moves the selection, Power selects it
    - Select "backup and restore"
    - Select "backup to external sdcard"
    - Wait for it to finish (Usually takes about 5 minutes)
    - Select back to get to the main menu

CONGRATS!
    - If all that worked your phone is now rooted and (hopefully) a backup has been made after rooting. This way if you start tinkering and break something you can (hopefully) restore back to this recovery.

REMOVE PERSISTANT/ONGOING WIFI NOTIFICATION AND POPUP (REQUIRES ROOT)
    ON PHONE: Navigate to Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor
    - Download: SQLite (Yes it's a paid app, support our Devs!)
    - Open the app, Accept/Grant the app Superuser permissions
    - Select Settings Storage
    - Select settings.db
    - Select system
    - Long-press "wifi_offload_network_notify"
    - Select "Edit Record"
    - Select Save
    - Press back key
    - Select "Secure"
    - Long-press "wifi_networks_available_notification_on"
    - Select "Edit Record"
    - Select Save
    - Reboot your phone

UI MODS (Not necessary but are definitely improvements in the UI)
    - Notification bar toggles mod: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775235
    - More (personalized versions): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28829000&postcount=67
    --Above files are flashed using recovery

HOW TO: FLASH A .ZIP USING RECOVERY (REQUIRES ROOT & UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER)
    **ONLY FLASH A ZIP UPDATE THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR MODEL AND OS**
    - Know where you downloaded the file to (Preferrably external SD card)
    - Reboot into recovery
    - Choose "install zip from sdcard"
    - Choose "install zip from (external) sdcard" -or wherever you saved it
    - Choose the desired file you want to flash
    - Scroll up (it's quicker) to select "Yes - ..."
    - The file(s) will flash (progress at bottom), once it's done you can flash another or go back to the main menu and reboot!
    This is Noxous Ninjas root Tool! its pretty obvious when it says "Noxious Ninja" at the top of the program. Download both versions and compare them.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1792342
    I'll put credits in my OP. Didn't mean to imply that was my work at all! That was just the most straight forward and one-click program I'd found to root the S3.
    Thank you :)
    Even if you don't flash a custom ROM or custom .zip update a backup is nice to have in case you make one little tweak that breaks something. Eliminates the hassle of having to flash back to stock and start from scratch again.
    You sure can. Keep in mind ODIN flashing does have a higher risk than a Nandroid backup. You simply cannot perma-brick your phone if there is no cable plugged into it.
    Having either a full ROM or a .zip update ROM flash on the external SD is the best scenario. Part of a nice clean install is to make sure a factory reset was done (which wipes the internal SD). If your ROM is on the internal SD... well you know the rest lol :)
    Great write up. This should be sticked instead of the tutorials that are already there.

One of the toggle customizations shouldn't bother it. There are 2 records to edit though, did you make both 0?

wow, im dumb, i only saw the first record that needed editing, thanks for pointing that out

No prob! Glad you got it going!