[MINI GUIDE] XDA Features

Search This thread

KingAmir

Aug 16, 2012
London
I am creating this thread to remind new and experienced users of all the features available on the site. Although there are other longer guides telling users how to use the site, I think it is valid that I give tips based on my experience on the site. This is a Mini guide which means that I will only highlight key information about XDA which may or may not have been explored in different threads.

As I say in all my guides, suggestions are like gold to me and I just want to make my service better. All reasonable comments are welcome. Please PM me if you have any urgent problems. I am sorry if my service is uninvited. It is also an extension to an earlier guide I posted HERE.

1) The Newsworthy Thread Feature

picture.php

The newsworthy thread feature, located in the top right of the original post, is designed to give users the opportunity to vote for a thread good enough to be put into the XDA Portal. This feature remains un-noticed for many users. Hopefully, this thread will introduce it to them.

2) The BB Code

XDA has its own unique code that it uses to order text and images. While many new users may find this feature to be a bit old fashioned, Raw and confusing, it is actually critical to the nature of XDA. It gives you the opportunity to manipulate individual items and puts power in the hand of the user. (It also makes you seem a bit more tech-y). Most BB Code will work like this:

[SOMEBBCODEHERE]Crappy stuff[/SOMEBBCODEHERE].

Notice that I use square brackets, there is no space in between the crappy stuff and th brackets and that there is a forward slash on the ending BB code line.
For a full list of the BB code go HERE

3) Editing

Any post that you make can be edited. This is done by simply clicking the EDIT button in the bottom right of that post. But this will just open a quick edit box with limited options. To get all the other options just click here:

picture.php

Initially, some special new users were a bit stumbled by this idea, assuming that it was a button used to get the advanced version of XDA.

4) The Rules

TheCellsOfMyBrain said:
Rules are what society is made of, without them people would not see themselves as in a society. Rules insure that people who think they are above or exempt from society are contained, such as if you murder someone you are arrested, for the good of society.

Although this is more of a tip, rules are a feature of XDA. Read and respect them. HERE is a Link to them.

5) The Report Button

picture.php

The report button can be found on the top right of any post. When a user is found flaming (virtual yelling), posting in the wrong place or just breaking any immediate rules, hit that button.

I have spent quite some time typing this review, please do not troll. All suggestions on the other hand are more than welcome. Please hit 'thanks' if you appreciate my massive effort. Sorry if this is not something you wanted. Even though the guide is long, I call it mini because it does not cover everything.

Special Thanks to Support from
KidCarter93
CtrlAltDeleteIrl
mf2112
deedii
stamatis16
Cascabel​

Last edited:

Z23

Aug 25, 2011
Useful information, thank you.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app

Reactions: KingAmir

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am creating this thread to remind new and experienced users of all the features available on the site. Although there are other longer guides telling users how to use the site, I think it is valid that I give tips based on my experience on the site. This is a Mini guide which means that I will only highlight key information about XDA which may or may not have been explored in different threads.

As I say in all my guides, suggestions are like gold to me and I just want to make my service better. All reasonable comments are welcome. Please PM me if you have any urgent problems. I am sorry if my service is uninvited. It is also an extension to an earlier guide I posted HERE.

1) The Newsworthy Thread Feature

picture.php

The newsworthy thread feature, located in the top right of the original post, is designed to give users the opportunity to vote for a thread good enough to be put into the XDA Portal. This feature remains un-noticed for many users. Hopefully, this thread will introduce it to them.

2) The BB Code

XDA has its own unique code that it uses to order text and images. While many new users may find this feature to be a bit old fashioned, Raw and confusing, it is actually critical to the nature of XDA. It gives you the opportunity to manipulate individual items and puts power in the hand of the user. (It also makes you seem a bit more tech-y). Most BB Code will work like this:

[SOMEBBCODEHERE]Crappy stuff[/SOMEBBCODEHERE].

Notice that I use square brackets, there is no space in between the crappy stuff and th brackets and that there is a forward slash on the ending BB code line.
    For a full list of the BB code go HERE

3) Editing

Any post that you make can be edited. This is done by simply clicking the EDIT button in the bottom right of that post. But this will just open a quick edit box with limited options. To get all the other options just click here:

picture.php

Initially, some special new users were a bit stumbled by this idea, assuming that it was a button used to get the advanced version of XDA.

4) The Rules

TheCellsOfMyBrain said:
    Rules are what society is made of, without them people would not see themselves as in a society. Rules insure that people who think they are above or exempt from society are contained, such as if you murder someone you are arrested, for the good of society.

Although this is more of a tip, rules are a feature of XDA. Read and respect them. HERE is a Link to them.

5) The Report Button

picture.php

The report button can be found on the top right of any post. When a user is found flaming (virtual yelling), posting in the wrong place or just breaking any immediate rules, hit that button.

I have spent quite some time typing this review, please do not troll. All suggestions on the other hand are more than welcome. Please hit 'thanks' if you appreciate my massive effort. Sorry if this is not something you wanted. Even though the guide is long, I call it mini because it does not cover everything.

Special Thanks to Support from
    KidCarter93
    CtrlAltDeleteIrl
    mf2112
    deedii
    stamatis16
    Cascabel​
    hopefully that will teach people some stuff :)
    Thanks sweet

droid razr
    miui v4
    the apples slicer lol
    Useful information, thank you.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app