[Guide] Fast Data on 3rd Party ROMs

Search This thread

TechieGeek

Feb 11, 2010
homio.co
I was geting lower than expected HSPA+ speeds from my HTC One S after moving from my stock ROM to CM10 and TrickDroid and Maximus. Here are some steps I took to increase my data speeds from ~3-4Mbps to 10-14Mbps.

1) I flashed a new baseband. If you turn your phone off, then hold the volume down and power button together, you can boot into a bootloader which will show an hboot version. If your hboot is version 1.13 or lower, you can flash a new baseband the following way:

1. Download Goomanager from the Android Market (Free)
  2. Go to the app's menu and tap "Install OpenRecovery Script." This will install the "TWRP Recovery", a touch-based recovery.
  3. Download the .zip for the baseband you want to flash and put it on your SD card. You can download the basebands here. I currently use EU_Radio_1.06s...
  4. Use Goomanager to "Reboot Recovery." Once you're in the recovery, flash the ZIP file for the baseband you downloaded.

2) I edited my build.prop file to change some values.

To do this, you can go to the Android Market and download "ES File Explorer" (free). Open it up, go to its menu, navigate to Root Settings, and check all for options (Root Explorer, Up to Root, Mount FIle System, and Backup System App) while giving the app root permissions when you get asked.

Now go back to the app homescreen and tap "Up" from the menu at the top of the app to get to the root directory. From there you'll open the system folder and open up the build.prop file (you can open it with "ES Note Editor." In that file, make sure your values are as follows:

Code:
ro.ril.hsdpa.category = 24
ro.ril.hsupa.category = 6
ro.ril.hsxpa = 4

ro.ril.fast.dormancy.rule = 2

Make sure you save the file and restart your phone for the changes to take effect!

Note: If you don't see the values in your buid.prop, you should still be able to write them in to overwrite whatever your defaults are.

Many ROMs will come with different values, especially ones based on sources from different countries.

The HSDPA and HSUPA categories tell your phone the maximum speeds of the network. From Wikipedia we can tell what the categories define. I live in a 42mbps area and the One S on T-Mobile is a 42mbps capable phone, so I changed my value to category 24 from category 14.

The HSXPA number tells your phone what networks to connect to (HSDPA/HSUPA/UTMS/etc) and the default from T-Mobile is 4, even though I haven't been able to find a definition for what exactly the value 4 stands for.

The Fast Dormancy = 2 is another unknown. I use the value 2 because this is what T-Mobile used in their stock ROM. This article outlines Fast Domancy very well, and since I switched from "1" to "2" I have noticed that my phone is no longer switching from 3G to 'H' like mad, and my speeds are more stable. I am not sure if the T-Mobile network supports Fast Dormancy, but changing this value has definitely helped me.

Success Stories:
Doubled speed, faster speeds, will add more as they come in!

Last edited:

TechieGeek

Feb 11, 2010
homio.co
Here are some speed tests I did right now with random servers around the US :) Of course your results will vary, but before this I would be getting 3 or 4mbps during off-peak hours.

L31yql.png
CJW2fl.png

Last edited:

WiiR0cKz

Jan 3, 2009
Corona
Moto G6 Plus
Wow it actually worked for me was getting 3mb and it went up to 10 gonna flash the eu latest radio. Hopefully It makes a difference. Oh and it's not switching from 3g to H anymore.... :eek:

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

WiiR0cKz

Jan 3, 2009
Corona
Moto G6 Plus
The speeds I was getting yesterday without the tweak and the pic from today :D

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347514643522.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347514643522.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 3,298
  • uploadfromtaptalk1347515195801.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347515195801.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 3,133

njeske

Mar 23, 2009
Vallejo, CA
I don't see any of those values in the build.prop on CM10. Can I just add them in?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Gavin01

Apr 17, 2006
Im on viper rom and in the UK. I thought id try it anyway just in case by some magic lol:)

It doesnt make any difference though:(

cat2115

Feb 23, 2008
Hi OP,

thx for posting the fast data guide. I'm currently on "AOKP JellyBean ROM" but I do not see any of those lines starting from ro.ril. Will it work for AOKP JellyBean and where should I added under? This is what the list are:
ro.build
ro.product
ro.wifi

#system.pop
ro.sf
#RIL
mobiledata.interfaces=rmnet0
ro.telephony.default_network=0
ro.telephony.ril_class=HTCQualcommRIL

#UMS
#hardware info

#additional build

TechieGeek

Feb 11, 2010
homio.co
I don't see those lines in my build prop do I add them running cm10 nightly 20120912

I don't see any of those values in the build.prop on CM10. Can I just add them in?

You should be able to write them in to manually set the values. I'll edit the first post.

i found this to be faster and more consistantly on H+ on cm10
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
ro.ril.hsupa.category =7

Category 28 is for 84.4mbps download speeds that T-Mobile doesn't have on their network and our device doesn't support. :/ But I will check out your hsupa setting and update the first post if necessary.

I'm glad a lot of people are seeing increased speeds! :D

makila

Dec 12, 2011
Hi OP,

thx for posting the fast data guide. I'm currently on "AOKP JellyBean ROM" but I do not see any of those lines starting from ro.ril. Will it work for AOKP JellyBean and where should I added under? This is what the list are:

i am running the same rom, and added the lines at the bottom of the "#RIL properties"

Reactions: cat2115

cat2115

Feb 23, 2008
one more dumb question. How do I know if my State (Philadelphia, PA) a 42Mpbs? or how do I google (keyword) for answer?

dung8604

Sep 8, 2010
Great find, I'm also running venom 1.1. Thanks for this, it just flat out works

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

cat2115

Feb 23, 2008

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was geting lower than expected HSPA+ speeds from my HTC One S after moving from my stock ROM to CM10 and TrickDroid and Maximus. Here are some steps I took to increase my data speeds from ~3-4Mbps to 10-14Mbps.

1) I flashed a new baseband. If you turn your phone off, then hold the volume down and power button together, you can boot into a bootloader which will show an hboot version. If your hboot is version 1.13 or lower, you can flash a new baseband the following way:

1. Download Goomanager from the Android Market (Free)
    2. Go to the app's menu and tap "Install OpenRecovery Script." This will install the "TWRP Recovery", a touch-based recovery.
    3. Download the .zip for the baseband you want to flash and put it on your SD card. You can download the basebands here. I currently use EU_Radio_1.06s...
    4. Use Goomanager to "Reboot Recovery." Once you're in the recovery, flash the ZIP file for the baseband you downloaded.

2) I edited my build.prop file to change some values.

To do this, you can go to the Android Market and download "ES File Explorer" (free). Open it up, go to its menu, navigate to Root Settings, and check all for options (Root Explorer, Up to Root, Mount FIle System, and Backup System App) while giving the app root permissions when you get asked.

Now go back to the app homescreen and tap "Up" from the menu at the top of the app to get to the root directory. From there you'll open the system folder and open up the build.prop file (you can open it with "ES Note Editor." In that file, make sure your values are as follows:

Code:
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category = 24
    ro.ril.hsupa.category = 6
    ro.ril.hsxpa = 4

ro.ril.fast.dormancy.rule = 2

Make sure you save the file and restart your phone for the changes to take effect!

Note: If you don't see the values in your buid.prop, you should still be able to write them in to overwrite whatever your defaults are.

Many ROMs will come with different values, especially ones based on sources from different countries.

The HSDPA and HSUPA categories tell your phone the maximum speeds of the network. From Wikipedia we can tell what the categories define. I live in a 42mbps area and the One S on T-Mobile is a 42mbps capable phone, so I changed my value to category 24 from category 14.

The HSXPA number tells your phone what networks to connect to (HSDPA/HSUPA/UTMS/etc) and the default from T-Mobile is 4, even though I haven't been able to find a definition for what exactly the value 4 stands for.

The Fast Dormancy = 2 is another unknown. I use the value 2 because this is what T-Mobile used in their stock ROM. This article outlines Fast Domancy very well, and since I switched from "1" to "2" I have noticed that my phone is no longer switching from 3G to 'H' like mad, and my speeds are more stable. I am not sure if the T-Mobile network supports Fast Dormancy, but changing this value has definitely helped me.

Success Stories:
    Doubled speed, faster speeds, will add more as they come in!
    i found this to be faster and more consistantly on H+ on cm10
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
    ro.ril.hsupa.category =7
    Below is a very good link which explains what all of this stuff means. According to the link, hsxpa should be either 0, 1 or 2 (2 would be preferred).The fastest category for hsdpa is 28, and the fastest category for hsupa is 7.

After reading the below link and now understanding what all these things do, I've noticed even better and consistent speeds.

http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/9781-buildprop-roril-meanings/

One S | ICS Blue XDA Premium | MIUI Sense | Bricked Beastmode
    The problem I am having is that when I try to save the edited file, all the editors I have used don't allow me to save the changes. Upon reopening the file, I see that indeed the added lines are not in the build.prop file.

I am using AOKP Milestone 6 (ICS-based) and in my case I noted a drastic reduction in data speeds in 4G areas in Puerto Rico. Specifically, one cell that allowed me to go to 12-14 MBPS now yields 2-4 MBPS.

Any help or suggestion is welcome, thanks!!!!

Invest in root explorer.
    Understood.........but i live in Romania on the Orange network and my max speed is 21 mb/s and i have only 120kbps. Maybe i need to put in build.prop different values, or from where i can download a new radio dor htc one s(s3) ??????????????????pls help. Can't live without the internet.,

It sounds like you might be in an area without 3G or 4G coverage. What does the little letter above your signal icon say when you are getting 120kbps? Could it be the phone you purchased is not compatible with the high speed network in your country? Here in the US, if you use a T-Mobile phone on ATT, you will only get similar speeds because the ATT 4G frequency is not supported.