FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Dolphin Browser HD

439 posts
Thanks Meter: 90

By yani2000, Senior Member on 1st February 2012, 11:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi!
I've been using Dolphin Browser HD on my stock Froyo ROM for quite some time now, but I've come across some various bugs:
- Serious stability issues:
I would normally browse the web and then all of a sudden browser would hang (loading a page for a very long time) and then my whole tablet would slowly become unresponsive or just behave strange (apps gone missing, Launcher crashes, every app I would like to start would automatically FC,...).
After restarting the tablet everything would be back to normal.
- Some flash SWF content would show as binary code (CWS):
Example:

Original link: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gti9...-news-3737.php
Somethimes flash content is shown and sometimes it's not.
I even encountered a SINGLE HTML page that a part of page would show flash normally and other part would just show the CWS binary code.
On my Galaxy S phone on the same version of Dolphin Browser HD this page would show YouTube flash object normally.

I've searched thru Google and couldn't found a single result, therefore I have a hunch that nobody could help me with this issue but hey, it's worth a try.

How is the stability of Dolphin Browser HD in HoneyComb after 30 minutes of surfing the web (ViewComb, VegaComb, HoneyIce users are all welcome to post)?
Also how is that YouTube flash object shown on your tablet?
Thank you!

2nd February 2012, 01:08 PM |#2  
I also use Dolphin HD as my prefered browser.
I have use various versions of Stock, CM7, VegaComb, HoneyICS

I have had issues with Dolphin giving FC's, hanging etc... in all until now

Currently I am running ViewComb 3.2 Build 6.3
Dolphin Browser has been fine ever since I moved to this.

Haven't tried later builds yet.

I also like ViewComb because it is an nvflash install making it quick and simple to install.
The Following User Says Thank You to gjc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gjc Ad-Free
6th March 2012, 05:53 PM |#3  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I too had issues so I uninstalled it and got chrome which works great!
Hope this helped

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA
6th March 2012, 08:48 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
But for Chrome to work you need ICS ROM.
The latest ICS ROM is still in beta / development stage.
16th September 2012, 12:56 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Wasn't Dolphin the browser that routed all traffic through their servers? (and no not as a speedup service like Opera). It sounds like its time for a different browser with all those issues? Chrome of Firefox do the job nicely.
16th September 2012, 02:09 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
No, Dolphin Browser Mini routes all traffic thru their servers, this is Dolphin Browser we're talking about.
I since then changed to Firefox, all the crashes are gone and I just checked that gsmarena page I complained about in my first post and instead of binary code I get that the plugin for this content is missing.
I still like Dolphin's UI better, but I found a translated version of Firefox's apk file which is a nice bonus.
The way I see it Dolphin uses Android's internal WebKit which in my case is outdated and buggy and therefore causes system instability and crashes.
While on the other hand Firefox uses its own Gecko which is more mature (I use the latest version of Firefox).
I would also like to try Chrome, but that requires Android v4.0+.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)