Android VNC Viewer

Search This thread

jdubzisfaded

Jan 3, 2009
So last night i saw a post on googles own vnc viewer which is coded to work on the g1 and the android emulator.
Well, I forwarded my ports correctly and setup my server accordingly. I am using TightVNC as well as UltraVNC at seperate times.
I am able to establish a connection through all services on my g1, (3g edge and wifi). Only when I arrive on the connection
I am greeted with only a black screen. I switch to mouse control on my g1 by pressing trackball and can see me moving the pc mouse from my g1.
So my connection is working flawlessly but my only error is that i cant see anything on my g1.
Is there a special mirror driver i must install??? somebody please help me for i use remote desktop as a part of everyday life

cl0s

Dec 22, 2008
If your talking about this one -- http://code.google.com/p/android-vnc-viewer/ -- its not Google's by the way. The problem is you either got dual screens or your resolution is just too high, the problem is your running out of memory on the device to show that large of an image. If you read the updates on there though they mention they are fixing this in the next update.

Try to set your resolution lower, the lower the more responsive your connection will be.

damien667

Oct 27, 2008
On 3g I experience a "lag" when it gets the first screen. On wifi I do not.

How long have you waited at that black screen? (it usually takes like 30 sec over 3g for me)... I use ubuntu and vino as the vnc server on my home PC.

edit: btw, I run 1440x900 resolution...

rfairburn

Feb 29, 2008
I compiled the latest git which has the fixes for high resolutions and some others. It's still a little buggy, but I like it better than the official released version.

I had to zip it to attach it (I don't have anywhere I can host currently).

Enjoy!

Attachments

• androidVNC.zip
    54.2 KB · Views: 500

cl0s

Dec 22, 2008
On 3g I experience a "lag" when it gets the first screen. On wifi I do not.

How long have you waited at that black screen? (it usually takes like 30 sec over 3g for me)... I use ubuntu and vino as the vnc server on my home PC.

edit: btw, I run 1440x900 resolution...

Never tried it over 3G, mostly just played with it on the home network.. I usually just access through SSH over 3G instead. I'm on Ubuntu 8.10 using the default share desktop/vino also. I have a 19inch & my laptop screen as dual screening and was to impatient to wait and see if it'd even come up. 1440x900 is pretty big, thats what I had on the one screen when I turned it off and it was really slow. If you bring it down to 800x600 then your good, but pretty useless if your actually on the machine at that.

You could try running a virtual machine with a low resolution and leave that running for when you want to remote in.

jdubzisfaded

Jan 3, 2009
Thank you very much for the responses. I am ignorant for thinking a early beta vnc viewer wil display my 1900x1200 resolution. Thanks for all the help

jjcd51590

Aug 28, 2008
KATY
This Works

i use tightvnc works great over 3g and wifi this was one of few apps that impressed my heavy fanboy iphone owner to admit "thats pretty cool" lol

carlitozway57

Mar 21, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't post this on here cause I figured it's a bit low level for this sort of board but I made this for TmoNews & also put it on Android Community:

There are quite a few different ways to control your PC with your G1. Here I will specifically explain only one of the options, Remote Desktop via a VNC server. If this sounds complicated to you, it's really only takes a few minutes (though it can be slightly more complicated if you have a router). There are many tutorials out there for setting up VNC servers that may explain things a bit better than I do but I will focus on getting it working on the G1. Feel free to do a google search to learn about this a bit more in depth.

First, on your PC

1) Download and install UltraVNC. Any VNC software should work but this one is free and works well. http://www.uvnc.com/download/index.html

2) Configure VNC. Now that you've installed UltraVNC, open the server by going to Start, Programs, UltraVNC and click UltraVNC Server

Now right click the eye logo on in the system tray and select admin properties.
5yg875.jpg

You should now see this screen:
10psm6c.jpg

Set a password that you will remember later on. Hit apply when done.

3) Get your IP address. Go to Ipchicken.com. The large number displayed on the screen is your ip number. Either write this down or keep this window open for later reference.

4) If you don't have a router, skip to the G1 steps. If you do have a router, you have one more thing to do. What you need to do is configure the router to open up port 5900. This is the port that VNC and your G1 will communicate through. There are way too many different routers for me to explain the exact steps to take. However, a google search with your router's brand and the keywords port forwarding should come up with the exact steps for you to take. Here is a screenshot of what my port fowarding screen looks like in the hopes that it may help:
1zwkklc.jpg

Steps on your G1

1) Set your G1 to allow for the installation of non-market app's. If you've done this already, skip to step 2. If you haven't: from the home screen, hit menu, settings, applications. Check off the box next to "Unknown sources."

2) Download and install Android VNC Viewer. http://code.google.com/p/android-vnc-viewer/.

3) Launch androidVNC. You should see this screen:
zo6vbs.jpg

Put in the ip address you obtained from ipchicken for address and the password you set earlier in VNC server for password and hit connect. In a few moments time, you should see your desktop screen on your G1!

If the app fails to connect, it will cause a force close (it's still not quite finished). If it fails, go back and double check that you've correctly done the previously listed steps. I got this working in under 5 minutes and if you're savvy with this sort of stuff, you should be able to do so as well.

Anyone sees any errors I made in this, please let me know so I can fix them. Hopefully I was clear and correct.

I will try the androidVNC posted in here and see how that works.

Last edited:

rfairburn

Feb 29, 2008
This is a compiled version of the r12 update to android-vnc-viewer. It appears to add support for selecting something other than 64 colors at connect time if your VNC server does not support that. There are some other small changes as well.

There still isn't a binary later than the 2008-12-05 release so I am providing it here so everyone can benefit from the latest code. I've been using it to connect to UltraVNC servers at work through an OpenVPN tunnel (woot @ openvpn) and at home to an xtightvnc server with no problems.

Maybe someday I'll learn a little java so I can contribute some code back to these guys. This app is awesome :)

Attachments

• androidVNC-r12.zip
    55.8 KB · Views: 211

ads78

Jan 21, 2009
refresh?

Hi,
I installed the apk file and got it to connect to my vnc server. However, i seem to only get a snapshot of the desktop and am unable to control the computer. Is there a setting to have it refresh or send commands to the server or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

rfairburn

Feb 29, 2008
There is only a limited amount of memory available for a framebuffer on the G1. Because of this sometimes it is not able to display the whole screen in fullscreen mode.

What you can do is go to Menu, select Scaling, and choose 1:1. This will give you a non-scaled version of the screeen. It will start in desktop panning mode by default. You can then use screen gestures or the trackball to move to the portion of the screen you would like to work on. Press the trackball button to toggle to mouse mode. You can then touch the screen to "click" on where you would like. You can toggle back to panning mode by pressing the trackball button again.

Hope this helps!

widto08

Nov 26, 2008
Roseville, MI
this works fairly well. i am posting this through vnc right now using my puter at home... hehe

EDIT: some screen shots

Attachments

• VNCscreenshot1.png
    VNCscreenshot1.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 106
  • VNCscreenshot2.png
    VNCscreenshot2.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

ads78

Jan 21, 2009
double clicking and cursor

Very cool, I see how clicking the button toggles between mouse moving and desktop panning mode. How do I double click and is there any way to get the mouse cursor to appear?

dyussen

Jan 23, 2009
Minnesota
Great!

@Rfairburn Nice work!

I had problems with the market version of VNC due to my screen res being 1900x1200 (black screen on connect). I tried yours instead and it's perfect.

Still struggling to navigate in this app. I liked the mixed mouse option and that you added Ctl-Alt-Del to the menu. Can anyone share how to send an Escape key?, and double-clicking seems still to be elusive. Thanks for the great work though, this is a big improvement!

jdubzisfaded

Jan 3, 2009
@Rfairburn Nice work!

I had problems with the market version of VNC due to my screen res being 1900x1200 (black screen on connect). I tried yours instead and it's perfect.

Still struggling to navigate in this app. I liked the mixed mouse option and that you added Ctl-Alt-Del to the menu. Can anyone share how to send an Escape key?, and double-clicking seems still to be elusive. Thanks for the great work though, this is a big improvement!

to double click use the trackball as the mouse and double click as for escape i have no solution. but rfairburn you are my hero for compiling this great upgrade. you are a great help to the community

mark925

Jan 3, 2009
One question... how do you create the apk file from the zip file you compiled? I already have the SDK (which I used to root the phone, move caches, etc..) if that's what is needed.

Richard1322

Feb 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
This works!!

I didn't post this on here cause I figured it's a bit low level for this sort of board but I made this for TmoNews & also put it on Android Community:

I will try the androidVNC posted in here and see how that works.

Excellent Instructions Carlitozway57! Thank you. This works like a charm! :D I tested this on 3G and WIFI. I also tried it on EDGE but it lagged a little.

jusutus

Jan 26, 2009
Hello,

I've tried the androidVNC with TightVNC, RealVNC and WinVNC - and I haven't managed to make a connection with any of them.

I haven't got a router. I have typed both the IP address and the password correct. All the androidVNC does is that it tries to connect for a few minutes and then reports it has failed.

What am I doing wrong? I'm using the 3G network since I don't have Wifi available. I'm running Vista on my PC.

Any advice is very much appreciated.