Feedback for Most-Thanked Widget

Search This thread

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
On XDA, sometimes you come across a thread with dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of replies. Most normal humans don't have the time to read through such a large number of replies in order to find the most useful posts. Today, we're making it much easier for you to find the best replies that get buried within a thread. Introducing the Most-Thanked Widget. It lives in the sidebar (of the 2013 theme) and displays which posts have received the most amount of Thanks. It's divided into All-Time and Recent to help you find the most timely and useful posts. You can help make the Most-Thanked widget even better by being sure to use the Thanks button whenever you spot a useful post across the XDA Forums.

A few other details:

• Right now, the Most-Thanked widget is only available for logged-in members as we tweak its performance. However, we'll soon be rolling it out to guests
  • The widget ignore post 1, because most people know that post 1 often contains the most useful information; we didn't want to be redundant
  • All members are limited to eight Thanks per day. Use your Thanks wisely!
  • The Most-Thanked widget is a work in progress! We'll be tweaking its logic over the coming weeks and months to make it as useful as possible. Thanks for your patience. Feel free to provide some feedback here

Attachments

• mostthanked.png
    mostthanked.png
    31 KB · Views: 299

Nigeldg

Feb 25, 2011
^^ Glad to see I'm not the only one who's still on the 2010 theme then :p It's so much nicer and more user friendly IMO.

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
Great idea, brilliant for overcrowded threads. Could you add an "option" or tab to leave out the posts by the OP? Having the posts has both advantages and disadvantages, as the users tend to thank the OP a lot. On the other hand, the OP only posts updates, so not having their post in the tab would be bad. That's why you should add a choice, best for both ;) Maybe just limit the no. of posts by OP to 1 or 2 :)

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Great idea. Thanks for this svetius.
I'm finding it a little bit laggy at the moment but I'd figure that's just because it's only just been implemented. It's not a major lag though :)

''Evil corrupts the mind of the weak but fails to feed off the mind of the strong''

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
Yeah this is an awesome idea, but any way to integrate it into the XDA 2010 them for those of us who don't like the 2013 one?

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
I think they'll probably see how it goes for now and then think about implementing it to a previous version.

''Evil corrupts the mind of the weak but fails to feed off the mind of the strong''

Reactions: bitpushr

AvRS

Dec 21, 2009
It's a cool idea and even nicer to see I'm in both all time top 5's of the ICS and JB version of the ROM I support :D

Only niggle for me is that it takes the place of the existing widget (messages/threads/forums) so you have to go back out of the thread to then see your subscribed threads again. I use this to navigate the threads I want to read as have links to all the forums I moderate so not too bothered about those. Would be cool to have a subscription (or whatever you want to call it) and thanks tab or something along those lines so you can then still have quick access to both when in a thread.

As for those still preferring the 2010 theme, once you're used to it the 2013 theme is so much nicer to use and I've never viewed the portal as much as I do now thanks to the 5 most recent posts always being shown on the sidebar. I love it! :cool:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Only niggle for me is that it takes the place of the existing widget (messages/threads/forums) so you have to go back out of the thread to then see your subscribed threads again. I use this to navigate the threads I want to read as have links to all the forums I moderate so not too bothered about those. Would be cool to have a subscription (or whatever you want to call it) and thanks tab or something along those lines so you can then still have quick access to both when in a thread.

As for those still preferring the 2010 theme, once you're used to it the 2013 theme is so much nicer to use and I've never viewed the portal as much as I do now thanks to the 5 most recent posts always being shown on the sidebar. I love it! :cool:
+1

i wish both widgets exist in that side bar.. as its not already full and we can have both with leftover space in right side panel..

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
sir.. great idea.. thanks for this.. as its new i know it might have bugs..

so it seems there is a bug.. if the posts shown dont have titles.. then the title if its there for above post in thanks widget is shown for the below one too.. which is kinda annoying.. as they might be totally unrelated posts.. also some posts shown in widget doesnt have appropriate link to the actual post when clicked..

also 1 suggestion: please provide the message,threads,forums widget inside threads too along with this widget.. it helps a lot..

thanks for the widget again..
Edit: oops.. sorry for second post.. i could have edit the above one. i forgot that i wrote.

bitpushr

Retired XDA:Administrator
sir.. great idea.. thanks for this.. as its new i know it might have bugs..

so it seems there is a bug.. if the posts shown dont have titles.. then the title if its there for above post in thanks widget is shown for the below one too.. which is kinda annoying.. as they might be totally unrelated posts.. also some posts shown in widget doesnt have appropriate link to the actual post when clicked..

also 1 suggestion: please provide the message,threads,forums widget inside threads too along with this widget.. it helps a lot..

thanks for the widget again..
Edit: oops.. sorry for second post.. i could have edit the above one. i forgot that i wrote.

Thanks for your bug report. I have recreated this bug and fixed it.

Reactions: Deadly

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009

It's a preference thing. I've used the 2013 and it's too busy for me, I like the cleaner brown with a portal button at the top left if I want to view portal stories (which I do daily) I can go there.

I don't ever see me moving to the 2013 theme and I really hope they integrate this most thanked post feature into the 2010 theme because it's a really useful feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Product F(RED)

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It's a preference thing. I've used the 2013 and it's too busy for me, I like the cleaner brown with a portal button at the top right fi I want to view portal stories (which I do daily) I can go there.

I don't ever see me moving to the 2013 theme and I really hope they integrate this most thanked post feature into the 2010 theme because it's a really useful feature.

Ditto.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On XDA, sometimes you come across a thread with dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of replies. Most normal humans don't have the time to read through such a large number of replies in order to find the most useful posts. Today, we're making it much easier for you to find the best replies that get buried within a thread. Introducing the Most-Thanked Widget. It lives in the sidebar (of the 2013 theme) and displays which posts have received the most amount of Thanks. It's divided into All-Time and Recent to help you find the most timely and useful posts. You can help make the Most-Thanked widget even better by being sure to use the Thanks button whenever you spot a useful post across the XDA Forums.

A few other details:

• Right now, the Most-Thanked widget is only available for logged-in members as we tweak its performance. However, we'll soon be rolling it out to guests
    • The widget ignore post 1, because most people know that post 1 often contains the most useful information; we didn't want to be redundant
    • All members are limited to eight Thanks per day. Use your Thanks wisely!
    • The Most-Thanked widget is a work in progress! We'll be tweaking its logic over the coming weeks and months to make it as useful as possible. Thanks for your patience. Feel free to provide some feedback here
    Hello, we had removed it because of some load issues we had been seeing on our systems, it is now re-enabled and we will keep an eye on the situation.
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Our analytics suggest that people are clicking "next page" a lot less now that they have the Most-Thanked widget...which is nice, because it means people are finding useful posts more quickly versus having to pore through dozens of thread pages. :highfive:

We'll leave this thread keep going should there be any other feedback. :good:
    It's a cool idea and even nicer to see I'm in both all time top 5's of the ICS and JB version of the ROM I support :D

Apologies, we know this feature is useful but we also need to keep the site loading quickly. Working to optimize this feature and some other tricks up our sleeves to make it faster than ever!