Flag Horsens
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Thumbs up
Wow... Thats pretty cool

23rd September 2012, 06:49 PM |#152  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I also think, that it looks very nice, but for me it's to much work ...
29th September 2012, 12:32 PM |#153  
Flag Ryki
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Hi guys, I finally started modding my DHD, I had a few problems and there are still some elements that need to be redone (paint peeled off) but in overall I think it looks cool

MORE PICS The back is all matte black (powder paint) and all the elements are sprayed "Ferrari Red" Sorry for bad quality pics but I took them with Xperia X10 mini pro. In reality the red really stands out, on pics it look a bit faded.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to haerigrek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift haerigrek Ad-Free
1st October 2012, 05:10 PM |#154  
Flag Bogot√°
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Looks really cool, im thinking in doing something similar, just curious, what paint did you use? did you use some base paint for the aluminum part? because i think that the paint is scratching because it doesnt have a base coating.
1st October 2012, 06:35 PM |#155  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Looks very good! Congrats!
3rd October 2012, 10:21 AM |#156  
Flag Ryki

More
Thanks, the aluminium element was cooked and sandwashed, then I used black powder paint, you have to be careful though because inside there is a tiny hole for a screw. You have to watch not to paint it over because powder paint is fairly thick and you could fill the hole with it. No base paint needed, sandwashing gives you a texture so the powder paint sticks and holds well, it doesn't fall off the black element but the red ones. All other elements (grills, volume rockers, power button, battely and simcard covers) are painted with red spray carpaint. You have to be careful with it as well, you need to add a very thin layer of translucent paint over the color to prevent the paint from falling off. I didn't do that and have to redo all the buttons, paint is coming off. You can't sand those elements because they are either too small or plastic and sanding would destroy them. With spray paint you have to put thin layers and only few of them (2-3) because every layer of paint makes the element thicker and in consequence the whole phone will be harder to put back together.
3rd October 2012, 02:04 PM |#157  
Flag South Yorkshire
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltkort

Works, nice. Advice: sanding takes a lot of time

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

How did you get the HTC letters black and detail it?

I know OP mentioned it but I can see me really screwing that part up. Please help!
3rd October 2012, 02:58 PM |#158  
Flag Ryki

More
I didn't, they fell off during sanding and I never put them back. The letters were glued into carved forms so I just painted the forms over and I got a nice result. If you want o play more with it you might try painting the letters yourself but the original aluminium letters will be gone during sanding. You may also try to take them off gently prior to sanding, I didn't do that so I don't know how to do that safely.
4th October 2012, 02:46 PM |#159  
Flag plymouth
Thanks Meter: 5

More
wow just wow
that looks amazing i think when i get my new phone i will be doing this to my desire hd how long did it tke to do
4th October 2012, 03:07 PM |#160  
Flag Ryki

More
one day, two days tops. The spray paint needs some time to dry so it's good to start painting in the morning and after you put all the coats of paint you plan, leave everything to dry overnight. Powder paint dries within few minutes.
4th October 2012, 03:13 PM |#161  
Flag plymouth
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Cheers man hopefully getting a new phone soon but still love my desire HD slot and really want to pimp it out

Phone: desire HD
ROM: super galaxy-1.0.0-BR3
Kernel version: 3.0.43kilotons_laughing_R10-g22c11e0randomblame@ferocious
Android version: 4.1.1 jellybean
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)