FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD] NFC for Verizon GS3! NFC Enabled While Screen Off / Locked

123 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

By Triskite, Senior Member on 26th September 2012, 04:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
***UPDATE***
I upgraded to ParanoidAndroid and had to use a different apk. I don't know who made this one (i downloaded like 10 from xda and tried about 4 before it started working), but here's the winner:

techneesh.com/paranoidandroidnfcscreenoff.apk

Hey guys,

I searched for hours but could only find reports of people *NOT* getting this to work on the Verizon GS3 (hence the name of the thread).

I tried hacking my stock Nfc.apk using dex2jar & modding the smali files (after looking up the appropriate values to change using decompiled dex2jar classes.dex's nfcservice.java), but after much frustration decided to just go ahead and try the existing versions out there.
By the way, if anyone is looking for how to do this (decompiling/modding/recompiling an apk) with 4.0.4 (and getting the 'bad magic number with smali/baksmali), refer to the comment on May 8th in this thread.

I'm pleased to report that mayhemer's AT&T version (for the SGS-I747) works for us Verizon folks!

You can grab it on his thread here.

I've also uploaded it to my server. Here's a direct link:
techneesh.com/Nfc.apk

I posted this in the Development section because I would really like to encourage devs to work on modding Nfc functionality further. Also, this is a more advanced mod for a system app.

Google Wallet did not throw errors with this .apk (as it did with others), although I have not tested it yet.

NFC reads trigger the nfc tag's function and the alarm/beep, but do not turn on or unlock the screen (while it is off).

Also, I just got a whole bunch of NFC tags in and plan to make some cool products for them... if you have any ideas let me know on my 3D-printing-on-demand-for-xda-samsung-gs3-folks thread.

Note- I am on Bean's Custom Stock R3.1 07/28 (I know, I need to upgrade)
4.0.4, SCH-I535, Baseband I535VRLF2, Kernel 3.0.38imoseyon+, Hardware I535.10

Instructions for apk:
1. Get apk onto your phone
2. Stop NFC (or else your phone will start lagging // freezing after the next step)
3. Copy the apk to /system/app/ with a root explorer and overwrite the existing Nfc.apk (you should make a backup first)
4. Change permissions to match other system apks (rw-r--r--)
5. Reboot & re-enable nfc. Profit. Share your uses.

For zip you should be able to just flash in cwm.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Triskite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Triskite Ad-Free

26th September 2012, 04:55 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
What reasons would one what NFC enable while the screen is off/ phone locked ????
26th September 2012, 06:38 AM |#3  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardi4life

What reasons would one what NFC enable while the screen is off/ phone locked ????

So you don't have to unlock :P we are lazy people

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III
26th September 2012, 07:18 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 406

More
is this for reals?
26th September 2012, 07:52 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
really hoping this works..been waiting for it!
26th September 2012, 08:15 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardi4life

oh man, don't get me started!

think about it - you get to your desk and want to tether / turn on music / silence phone. just tap it on the nfc sticker on your desk. done.

you get into your car and want to enable gps / turn on music / navigate somewhere. tap your phone to the nfc sticker. done.

i have a lockscreen for security and even though it only takes a second to open it still adds up over the course of the day. the ability to quickly do (any) task on your phone without unlocking it or even pressing a button is huge.

for example, I canceled home internet last year when I got LTE but this means I have to turn on tethering every time i sit down at my PC. using a tasker nfc-activated command I can just touch my phone to my desk and it's on. time saving and just fun.

or maybe you are in a meeting and miss a call and want to call them back - have a pre-programmed nfc sticker that will command your phone to set an alarm for (e.g.) 1 hour. tap your phone to it without fiddling /unlocking/interrupting your meeting further.

what really made me think of this is while I was looking for something behind a wardrobe and wanted to turn on my LED flashlight on my phone. how cool would it be to have an nfc sticker (on your keychain? on a sliding mechanism on a custom techneesh.com case on your phone?) that could basically act as a 4th hard button to do a custom function (in this case, turn on the LED flashlight without 1. turning on screen 2. unlocking 3. going to home screen 4. finding LED flashlight app and opening)

and yes, this is for real
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Triskite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Triskite Ad-Free
30th September 2012, 08:09 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I'm trying to get this to work on CleanROM 2.5, with the G7 baseband. I followed the steps correctly, but it doesn't to anything different than the stock NFC

I can still read my tags when screen on and unlocked, but i get no response with the screen off or on and locked.

Triskite, did you modify the .apk from the linked At&t SGSIII thread at all? If not, would it be safe to try the other apk's listed there?

Thanks!
30th September 2012, 11:33 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by usatf1290

I'm trying to get this to work on CleanROM 2.5, with the G7 baseband. I followed the steps correctly, but it doesn't to anything different than the stock NFC

I can still read my tags when screen on and unlocked, but i get no response with the screen off or on and locked.

Triskite, did you modify the .apk from the linked At&t SGSIII thread at all? If not, would it be safe to try the other apk's listed there?

Thanks!

the apk worked as-is for me - only thing i can think of to try is to turn ON a lockscreen? (I use the pattern security one)

safe? I certainly can't assure that... but would I try them? yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Triskite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Triskite Ad-Free
1st October 2012, 04:46 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triskite

the apk worked as-is for me - only thing i can think of to try is to turn ON a lockscreen? (I use the pattern security one)

safe? I certainly can't assure that... but would I try them? yes.

I went ahead and tried the .zips from that thread
I flashed the nfcmodI747_lockscreen.zip flashable from CWM and it works like a charm!
Once i did this, i wanted to see if the screen off nfcmodI747_screenoff.zip works, and it sure does (again, flashed via CWM)!

Don't know if it matters, but i did not disable NFC from settings before i flashed them via CWM.

Thanks again!
1st October 2012, 07:45 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 443

Donate to Me
More
Just saying this is as of the moment the most unsafe mod someone can implant or put a nfc tag somewhere to run malicious code on your device. While I do not condone hacking of any sort, I know the possibilties of what these hacks can do from different forums (not naming any).

TLR, caution with this one guys. Especially if you're using wallet using my guide......
1st October 2012, 11:16 AM |#11  
Flag Wichita, Ks
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Ok...what are these tags you're talking about? I've never ran across NFC tags in "the wild"...do you buy them and then tell your phone what to do when it reads a certain tag?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nfc, nfc mod, screen off

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)