FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)

361 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,105

By guevor, Senior Member on 26th September 2012, 01:55 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
29th September 2012, 03:23 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkman

from everything I've read, undervolting provides only a very minimal gain in battery life (we're talking about max a couple of procent)

This is true on smartphones because most of the battery life is consumed by the display and the cell radio. There is no cell radio on the NST, and the display consumes far less, so a larger percent of the battery consumption is from the CPU and undervolting should be more effective. (let me know if I'm wrong here)

2nd October 2012, 05:31 AM |#12  
Flag DFW
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Please clarify re:Glow
Could someone please clarify whether this kernel includes support for the Glow?

I found a mt kernel for the glow from mali100 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1679036
so i know the nst kernels can be patched for the glow: but I'm unclear whether this kernel, which I'd much rather use for the overclock, has been so patched.

Thanks!

Oh, and my vote is to keep the usb host support in a separate kernel due to battery drain.

-Alley
2nd October 2012, 12:54 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guevor

You first need to rename the uImage.img to uImage
Then you need adb on your computer and be connected on the same net (computer and nook).
After that, you can use these instructions.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=21

I hope it will be helpful

fallowed the instruction but after i reboot the device its freezes on read forever screen
am i missing something?
2nd October 2012, 02:34 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 141

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7t7d

Could someone please clarify whether this kernel includes support for the Glow?

I don't think it supports the glowlight, but you can just try it. The worst that could happen, is that the screen light doesn't work as long as this kernel is installed.

Quote:

I found a mt kernel for the glow from mali100 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1679036
so i know the nst kernels can be patched for the glow: but I'm unclear whether this kernel, which I'd much rather use for the overclock, has been so patched.

That's not a patched nst kernel, it's a glowlight kernel (based on the 1.1.5 nook software). Glowlight kernels work just fine on the old nst.

So what I'm trying to say is:

nst kernel on a glowlight -> works fine, just no support for the screenlight
glowlight kernel on a nst -> works perfect, no issues.

Quote:

Oh, and my vote is to keep the usb host support in a separate kernel due to battery drain.

I second that, usb host is just not stable enough to be a default for everyone, particularly because a lot of people have no use for it.
2nd October 2012, 08:10 PM |#15  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valencia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet4a

fallowed the instruction but after i reboot the device its freezes on read forever screen
am i missing something?

Maybe your device does not support the overclocking or may need more voltage.
What version did you use? The original post had a nominal voltage slightly higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mali100

I don't think it supports the glowlight, but you can just try it. The worst that could happen, is that the screen light doesn't work as long as this kernel is installed.

That's not a patched nst kernel, it's a glowlight kernel (based on the 1.1.5 nook software). Glowlight kernels work just fine on the old nst.

So what I'm trying to say is:

nst kernel on a glowlight -> works fine, just no support for the screenlight
glowlight kernel on a nst -> works perfect, no issues.

I second that, usb host is just not stable enough to be a default for everyone, particularly because a lot of people have no use for it.

Good to know. I'll take a look and if I find no problem, I'll do a single kernel for both.

About the usb host had not even tried, but if you say it is not stable, better to keep two versions.

As a novelty, I have been making tests with the display and I'll upload a new version. I am also uploading a video I have just done to show how it works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guevor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guevor Ad-Free
2nd October 2012, 08:48 PM |#16  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valencia

Donate to Me
More
New version with a new fast display mode
I've been testing the epaper's driver, both to see how it work and to testing if I could get something new.

I added a parameter (/ sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode) that can enable a new fast mode.

By default starts at 0, so it works very much as always (although I modified some behavior, I have to do more tests), and if we put it to 1 enables a new faster mode.

To not extend much (and avoid being too much in front of the computer screen), I recorded a video showing the new mode, and also put a couple of images to compare the normal mode with the new one.

I have also created a small program that will allow us to switch between the two modes (I use the Reading now button for it)

Hope you are interested.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	normal.jpg
Views:	3722
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1370866   Click image for larger version

Name:	dithered.jpg
Views:	3451
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1370868  
Attached Files
File Type: apk FastMode.apk - [Click for QR Code] (8.4 KB, 7296 views)
File Type: img uImage.img - [Click for QR Code] (1.83 MB, 2820 views)
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to guevor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guevor Ad-Free
2nd October 2012, 09:40 PM |#17  
Flag Abruzzo (PE)
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Thanks for the kernel.

However, I've installed the new version (in the previous post) using clockwork recovery (zipfile) but seems that overclock is inactive. Checked with "Android System Info" app.

EDIT: Reflashed using ADBWireless, now 1 GHz is recognized. And "Fast Mode" is far better than "No Refresh" when browsing web and testing games.
2nd October 2012, 10:05 PM |#18  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guevor

Maybe your device does not support the overclocking or may need more voltage.
What version did you use? The original post had a nominal voltage slightly higher.
works.

nook ver 1.1.2 rooted using touchnooter.

i used B&N update to revive my nook.
2nd October 2012, 10:23 PM |#19  
Flag Poznań
Thanks Meter: 136

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrsil1983

Thanks for the kernel.

However, I've installed the new version (in the previous post) using clockwork recovery (zipfile) but seems that overclock is inactive. Checked with "Android System Info" app.

"CPU Master Free" shows 1000 MHz in Performance mode.

- Can you add USB HOST support to this Kernel? It would make this one the best kernel available.
Thanks

- from time to time while the wifi is on, Nook freezes.
3rd October 2012, 09:43 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Hi Guevor,

This is really cool stuff! Thanks!

BTW some people tried to upgrade from Eclair to Froyo but all them got stuck at some point, apparently there are problems with the drivers that are closed source, but I dont see why can't we take the drivers for a similar device that uses Froyo. What is your opinion on this?

I'd be happy to help so you can minimize the amount of time in front of the computer

Gracias!
3rd October 2012, 11:26 AM |#21  

More
Hey Guevor,

I hope you have a Paypal account or some other means of accepting donations [Edit: Found the donate button at the side of his post. I only had to look ] Absolutely amazing. Could you post the source too please?
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread