FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][2013.01.09] Lenovo A789,P700i,A660 custom ROM (ICS)

1,231 posts
Thanks Meter: 475

By cybermaus, Senior Member on 7th September 2012, 07:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th September 2012, 12:48 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
NetLoc setting
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermaus

And this is on what phone and ROM?

Anyway, to quote myself: "While you are in recovery, also wipe cache. And finally, go into MobileUncle tool, the MTK Engineer mode, and in location settings, change the NetLoc from MEDIATEK to GOOGLE. Now your location services should work."

Hi, Im absolute Android novice, please, can you tell me step by step, how to find NetLoc? It is variable or what, and how to change NetLoc from MEDIATEK to GOOGLE? Sorry and thanks

27th September 2012, 01:46 PM |#42  
OP Senior Member
Flag Earth

More
I can't for the simple reason I do not have the A789. You will just have to search around in the MTK Engineermode menu of MobileUncle. Its in there somewhere.
28th September 2012, 06:59 PM |#43  
Flag Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Stikk no luck with ROMzilla. Extracted ROM, decompiled it, recompiled it without changing anything. Installed it on the A789 after formatting /system.

Now the phone is stuck in a boot loop and vibrates several times instead of one time.

Conclusion: ROMzilla is unusable, even after updating smali/baksmali to 1.4.0. Any other nice decompiling tools out there?

If I had a working tool, I would try to convert a ROM to multilang, based on Buzzwaves A750 ROm which has a very nice German lang.
28th September 2012, 09:37 PM |#44  
OP Senior Member
Flag Earth

More
Well, I use dsixda to deodex the ROM
Next I use APKtool to decompile it.

Both on Linux. I think you should install a simple Ubuntu, or Debian if you do not have a lot of space, in VMware or Virtualbox. And stop messing with Cygwin.
29th September 2012, 10:29 AM |#45  
Flag Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Well, I am on Ubuntu for several days now.
3rd October 2012, 09:46 PM |#46  
OP Senior Member
Flag Earth

More
A789_ROW_S105_cybermaus_ICS_v3
A new ROM release for the A789: A789_ROW_S105_cybermaus_ICS_v3.03

Based on factory ROM P700i_ROW_S105_120920, and located in my Dev-Host. It is an international ROM, ported from the P700i. It is as close to factory as possible, which I hope will be good for stability.

Base ROM features
- Android 4.0.4
- International (non-Chinese) edition
- CallerID works (no bug detected so far)
- Face detection unlock screen
- Changeable Lenovo Cloverleaf
- Normal Android Calender
- English, Chinese, Russian, Indonesian, Vietnamese

Summery of mods I made to it:
- Rooted the phone with Chainfire SuperSu
- Set to boot in US-english, changed name of ROM
- Added MoreLocale for extra languages in 3rd party apps
- Removed Chinese apps, incl Chinese keyboard, removed SmsReg.apk
- Added Lenovo Security (anti-malware) (you can remove it if you want)
- Updated Google GAPPS, Play Store, Maps, etc
- Added MobileUncle toolbox, SManager (root explorer).
- Added fix for location services
- Added Skype, Whatsapp, Titanium backup (free version) and some others, as auto-install upon userdata wipe / factory clean
- Prepared busybox (you need to run script /system/xbin/installbusybox as root if you want it)
- Replaced bootup animation with silent Lenovo butterfly
- Removed FaceBook and Google+. They were huge, /system was full, and they are autostart, so always consume a little resources. You can install them from play store if you need them. I was in doubt to do the same to Chrome, but I left it in there for now.
- Fixed WiFi to use all 14 channels rather than 11 US ones (may be undone when selecting new Locale)
- Fixed so the Debug-USB notification is no longer shown

Warning:
- Flashing this ROM will leave your Data intact, *except* the desktop and the calender. Those are cleared to deal with incompatibilities.
- I do not have a A789, so it is a blind build. It could be faulty.

Instructions:
- Put zip on SD card
- Reboot into recovery
- Apply the ZIP.

Edit: Sorry to all of you who wasted bandwidth on the broken zip's v3, v3.01, v3.02. You need v3.03.
BTW: As mentioned, Desktop and Calender are automatically cleared, but it may also be needed to clear Contacts, so that the Caller-ID's are newly indexed. Use any clear data tool, or these patches. If you do not wipe desktop, and you come from a Chinese based ROM, the cloverleaf stays locked and Chinese. You need to wipe desktop data to free up and 'westernize' the cloverleaf. If you do not re-index contacts, it could be the CallerID is 'whitespace' sensitive.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cybermaus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cybermaus Ad-Free
3rd October 2012, 10:28 PM |#47  
OP Senior Member
Flag Earth

More
Additional, I have here the baseband (radio firmware) files for both the P700i_S105 and the A789_S228. The ROM above comes with the original A789 baseband, but if you want to try the P700i one, go ahead. I believe them both to be the same.
Attached Files
File Type: zip A789_radio_firmware_S228.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.31 MB, 366 views)
File Type: zip P700i_radio_firmware_S105.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.31 MB, 296 views)
5th October 2012, 07:30 AM |#48  
OP Senior Member
Flag Earth

More
So, about 20 of you downloaded one of the broken v3 zip packages, before I locked it from download. Sorry. You need the v3.03, is working, and I just now unlocked the download again. If any of the other data wipe or radio firmware packages is also not working, please let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to cybermaus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cybermaus Ad-Free
5th October 2012, 08:18 AM |#49  
Thanks Meter: 257

More
After a few hours (I left the phone on overnight as always) I've noticed performance is quite good, as well as battery usage. In my case, I'm using a bit more battery, since I'm using an app to show the remaining battery power on the status bar. I may try to find a way to change the battery icon to something that shows percentage and not a bar. I tried using the UOT kitchen on a previous ROM, but it didn't work.

One thing I've noticed is that when I dial *#06# I now get 2 IMEI numbers, as opposed to the official A789 ROM's from Lenovo or the cooked ones based on them, which just show one IMEI.

I think it's OK, since the first one matches the one display on the sticker under the battery, so I guess A789 originally hides the second IMEI, since, as far as I know, it's illegal in China to have two IMEI numbers on the same phone. P700 is supposed to be the international version of A789, so the second IMEI is not hidden.
The Following User Says Thank You to jman0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jman0 Ad-Free
5th October 2012, 08:29 AM |#50  
OP Senior Member
Flag Earth

More
With all the dual-sim phones out there, I doubt its illegal to have 2 IMEI. What probably is illigal is to *change* the IMEI.

Yes, I was aware it now shows both. Same on A750. Also, from factory mode you could always see the second one, even on the china firmware.
The Following User Says Thank You to cybermaus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cybermaus Ad-Free
6th October 2012, 02:42 PM |#51  
Flag Oxford, UK
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Now its working cybermaus...

THANKS!!!

Calendar perfect now (no chinese characters) but some ringtones/alarm sounds remain with chinese names but i think that's because i had them previously from the other rom... Gonna test it during the weekend!!!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
a789, mt6577

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)