Sidekick 4G Reference Guide (Large images!)

Search This thread

Jax184

Nov 22, 2007
Vancouver
www.jax184.com
I added a note about the gorilla glass to the article, since we can't be sure.

BTW, I contacted Ayoteddy back when he was the mod for this forum about getting this thread pinned but never heard back. Then I tried madnish30 when he was the only op, but have also heard nothing. So I suspect either they both thought this thread was so awful that my messages didn't even deserve a reply, or they never check their inbox.

Dleenly

Apr 27, 2012
Moscow
Hi!
Can somebody upload photo like this?
Because maybe I lost some parts of my SK4G and cant close it now :(
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 119
G

GuestK0045

Your. Missing a cover piece. On the space between the tmobile bar n the bottom half of the phone its for the sliding mechanism

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA

wjcarpenter

Dec 18, 2010
I just spent a bunch of time messing around with my SK4G hardware, helped by this thread and by some YouTube videos of disassembly. The guide that starts this thread is pretty good, with great pictures, and I have just a couple of notes that someone might find helpful:

1. If you are just working on the LCD panel, you don't have to take out the screws shown in the picture with the caption "Remove the 4 screws marked with green arrows." You can instead open the LCD slider and take off two screws on the sides of the LCD. You can then wiggle it free from the main chasis.

contacts.jpg

2. If you are looking for a problem and have to keep trying to boot the phone to check things, you will get tired of putting on and taking off the back (the left side of the picture captioned "Lift the back off.") There is an interlock that prevents the phone from powering up unless the back is in place. You can temporarily defeat that (like I did) by shorting out the two springy things (inside the circle in the attached picture) and the two circuit pads (inside the rectangle). I used a little piece of wire tangled around the springy things, and taped down some solder braid on the pads. If you do that, you can hold the battery in place with one hand and push the power button with the other. (I don't recommend operating your cell phone this way while driving. :) )

bhundven

Inactive Recognized Developer
pit info

Could someone do this while their phone is in download mode and paste the results in this thread, preferably in a code block:

Code:
heimdall print-pit

I figure this is useful to keep in the reference guide.

This will print out the pit in a human readable format like this one for sgs4g:

Code:
bryan@umactu:~/Downloads/SK4G$ heimdall print-pit
Heimdall v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Attempt failed. Detaching driver...
Claiming interface again...
Setting up interface...

Checking if protocol is initialised...
Protocol is not initialised.
Initialising protocol...
Handshaking with Loke...

Beginning session...
Session begun with device of type: 0

Downloading device's PIT file...
PIT file download sucessful

Entry Count: 13
Unknown 1: 0
Unknown 2: 0
Unknown 3: 0
Unknown 4: 0
Unknown 5: 0
Unknown 6: 0
Unknown 7: 0
Unknown 8: 0

--- Entry #0 ---
Unused: No
Partition Type: 0 (RFS)
Partition Identifier: 0
Partition Flags: 0 (R)
Partition Block Size: 256
Partition Block Count: 1
Unknown 2: 6684783
Unknown 3: 2097268
Partition Name: IBL+PBL
Filename: boot.bin

--- Entry #1 ---
Partition Identifier: 1
Partition Name: PIT
Filename: 

--- Entry #2 ---
Partition Identifier: 20
Partition Flags: 2 (R/W)
Partition Block Count: 40
Partition Name: EFS
Filename: efs.rfs

--- Entry #3 ---
Partition Identifier: 3
Partition Block Count: 5
Partition Name: SBL
Filename: sbl.bin

--- Entry #4 ---
Partition Identifier: 4
Partition Name: SBL2

--- Entry #5 ---
Partition Identifier: 21
Partition Block Count: 20
Partition Name: PARAM
Filename: param.lfs

--- Entry #6 ---
Partition Identifier: 6
Partition Block Count: 30
Partition Name: KERNEL
Filename: zImage

--- Entry #7 ---
Partition Identifier: 7
Partition Name: RECOVERY

--- Entry #8 ---
Partition Identifier: 22
Partition Block Count: 1540
Partition Name: FACTORYFS
Filename: factoryfs.rfs

--- Entry #9 ---
Partition Identifier: 23
Partition Block Count: 2120
Partition Name: DATAFS
Filename: data.rfs

--- Entry #10 ---
Partition Identifier: 24
Partition Block Count: 160
Partition Name: CACHE
Filename: cache.rfs

--- Entry #11 ---
Partition Identifier: 11
Partition Block Count: 60
Partition Name: MODEM
Filename: modem.bin

--- Entry #12 ---
Unused: Yes
Partition Type: 1 (Unknown)
Partition Block Size: 0
Partition Block Count: 0
Partition Name: 
Filename: 

Ending session...
Rebooting device...
Re-attaching kernel driver...

chaostic_2k1

Sep 14, 2009
Anyone know what that round thing with the red and blue wires next to the camera is? Obviously not the speakerphone or mic. Is it the vibration motor?

Yes, it is the vibrator/pager motor, part of the memory card assembly. Would have been the perfect place to hack in a led flash chip.

Last edited:

bhundven

Inactive Recognized Developer
SK4G Partition Information from the bootloader:

Code:
==== PARTITION INFORMATION ====                                                                      
 ID         : IBL+PBL (0x0)                                                                          
 ATTR       : RO SLC (0x1002)                                                                        
 FIRST_UNIT : 0                                                                                      
 NO_UNITS   : 1                                                                                      
===============================                                                                      
 ID         : PIT (0x1)                                                                              
 FIRST_UNIT : 1                                                                                      
 NO_UNITS   : 1                                                                                      
 ID         : EFS (0x14)                                                                             
 ATTR       : RW STL SLC (0x1101)                                                                    
 FIRST_UNIT : 2                                                                                      
 NO_UNITS   : 40                                                                                     
 ID         : SBL (0x3)                                                                              
 FIRST_UNIT : 42                                                                                     
 NO_UNITS   : 5                                                                                      
 ID         : SBL2 (0x4)                                                                             
 FIRST_UNIT : 47                                                                                     
 NO_UNITS   : 5                                                                                      
 ID         : PARAM (0x15)                                                                           
 FIRST_UNIT : 52                                                                                     
 NO_UNITS   : 20                                                                                     
 ID         : KERNEL (0x6)                                                                           
 FIRST_UNIT : 72                                                                                     
 NO_UNITS   : 30                                                                                     
 ID         : RECOVERY (0x7)                                                                         
 FIRST_UNIT : 102                                                                                    
 NO_UNITS   : 30                                                                                     
 ID         : FACTORYFS (0x16)                                                                       
 FIRST_UNIT : 132                                                                                    
 NO_UNITS   : 1540                                                                                   
 ID         : DATAFS (0x17)                                                                          
 FIRST_UNIT : 1672                                                                                   
 NO_UNITS   : 2120                                                                                   
 ID         : CACHE (0x18)                                                                           
 FIRST_UNIT : 3792                                                                                   
 NO_UNITS   : 160                                                                                    
 ID         : MODEM (0xb)                                                                            
 FIRST_UNIT : 3952                                                                                   
 NO_UNITS   : 60                                                                                     

This is exactly the same as what we got for SGS4G.
In other words, the partition table and layout between sk4g and sgs4g is the same:
https://github.com/teamacid/android...b/ics/drivers/mtd/onenand/samsung_galaxys4g.h

This info was obtained with usb-uart.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2011
Thank you

Very in-depth. Thank you for the tear-down as well. I just purchased a refurbished SK4G from Ebay and am open to the possibility I, too may be tearing my phone apart to fix it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since development for my favourite phone has ground to a halt, I thought I'd put together a reference guide from everything I know about it. Perhaps the details will inspire some further ROM development.

This is a work in progress based on my own research. Some details are missing and I'm sure some others are wrong. I appreciate any help that you may be able to offer in fixing them. I would especially like to find the datasheets for the various components, and make a list of all the phones they're used in.

T-Mobile Sidekick 4G Specifications
    SGH-T839
    FCC ID: A3LSGHT839
    Released April 20th, 2011

GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    UMTS 1700/2100 (HSDPA+HSUPA)

CPU: 1GHz Cortex A8
    GPU: PowerVR SGX540
    Chipset: Hummingbird
    RAM: 512MB
    Flash: 1GB
    Display: 3.5" 800x480 TFT-LCD, 16.7M colour, 267 PPI

Touchscreen: 5-point capacitive
    QWERTY keyboard
    Swype input in portrait mode

Bluetooth V3.0
    WiFi 802.11B/G/N
    Augmented GPS
    3 megapixel rear-facing camera
    0.3 megapixel front-facing camera
    Accelerometer
    Light Sensor
    "Cheek seeking" proximity sensor

Micro-USB 2.0
    3.5" TRRS headphone jack with play-pause/answer-hangup support+composite video output
    MicroSDHC slot

1500mAh Lithium-Polymer battery. Model EB504465VA.
    Also used in M910 Intercept, M920 Transform, R880 Acclaim, R900 Craft, R910 Indulge, etc.

Note: Some sources claim the Sidekick's screen is made from Gorilla Glass. Neither the Corning site nor Samsung's own specs list it though. It's possible they didn't mention it because T-Mobile wanted this phone to be viewed as low-end, or it might just not have it.

Hardware Details

Chip-map.jpg

Broadcom
    BCM4329SKUBG
    Single-chip WiFi/Bluetooth/FM Receiver+Transmitter. Claims to support 802.11A in addition to B/G/N.
    Galaxy S 4G uses BCM4329GKUBG variant.

Samsung KB100L00WM-A453:
    Samsung Hummingbird-series Package-on-package containing 512 Megabyte (4 Gigabit) DDR2 SDRAM, PowerVR SGX540 Graphics core and 1GHz ARM C111A-based CPU. Unsure what N37BVF means.
    Galaxy S 4G uses N34FW03 variant, while Epic 4G uses N2K13D1.

Maxim MAX8987S
    Power management controller.
    Used in Galaxy S 4G.

Wolfson WM8994E
    Audio codec
    Used in Galaxy S, Epic 4G, Galaxy Tab, etc

RF5000
    ST Ericsson RF5000 Radio Transceiver.
    Used in Galaxy S 4G.

77460-13
    Skyworks SKY77460
    WCDMA 1710–1755 MHz Signal amplifier
    Used in Galaxy S 4G.

77446-21
    Skyworks SKY77446
    WCDMA 1920-1980 MHz Signal amplifier
    Some models of Galaxy S 4G use 77447 variant, others may use ours.

77554-51
    Skyworks Transmit-Receive Front End Module
    Used in Galaxy S 4G.

DB5730
    ST Ericsson Thor M5730 HSPA+ Thin Modem
    Used in Galaxy S 4G

7560/14
    ST Ericsson GNS7560 GPS module.
    Used in Galaxy S 4G.

(Not hightlighted in photo) KXUD9
    Kionix KXUD9 accelerometer.
    Used in Kyocera Echo

ROMs
    The Sidekick 4G came with Android 2.2 "Froyo" despite having been released after Gingerbread was already on the market. T-Mobile promised updates, but only patches to 2.2 were released. To date there has NEVER been a Gingerbread/Ice Cream Sandwich ROM available for it. Not from Samsung/T-Mobile, not from anyone else.

This is especially troubling as the stock ROM is infamous for its many bugs. And Samsung's reluctance to release the source code for the stock ROM made it hard to develop alternatives. The code has finally been released, but development is still in its infancy.

None the less, a number of tweaked stock ROMs have been developed by the community to shore up the bugs.

Many of these community-developed ROMs were hosted on Megaupload, which was shut down in January of 2012. Links to files hosted there no longer work. A partial reconstruction can be found at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538576

At bhundven's suggestion, here is a dump of the Sidekick 4G's pit:

Code:
    Entry Count: 13
    Unknown 4: 0
    Unknown 5: 0
    Unknown 6: 0
    Unknown 7: 0
    Unknown 8: 0

--- Entry #0 ---
    Partition Identifier: 0
    Unknown 2: 6684783
    Unknown 3: 2097268
    Partition Name: IBL+PBL
    Filename: boot.bin

--- Entry #1 ---
    Partition Identifier: 1
    Partition Name: PIT
    Filename: 

--- Entry #2 ---
    Partition Identifier: 20
    Partition Block Count: 40
    Partition Name: EFS
    Filename: efs.rfs

--- Entry #3 ---
    Partition Identifier: 3
    Partition Name: SBL

--- Entry #4 ---
    Partition Identifier: 4
    Partition Name: SBL2

--- Entry #5 ---
    Partition Identifier: 21
    Partition Block Count: 20
    Partition Name: PARAM
    Filename: param.lfs

--- Entry #6 ---
    Partition Identifier: 6
    Partition Name: KERNEL

--- Entry #7 ---
    Partition Identifier: 7
    Partition Name: RECOVERY

--- Entry #8 ---
    Partition Identifier: 22
    Partition Block Count: 1540
    Partition Name: FACTORYFS
    Filename: factoryfs.rfs

--- Entry #9 ---
    Partition Identifier: 23
    Partition Block Count: 2120
    Partition Name: DATAFS
    Filename: data.rfs

--- Entry #10 ---
    Partition Identifier: 24
    Partition Block Count: 160
    Partition Name: CACHE
    Filename: cache.rfs

--- Entry #11 ---
    Partition Block Count: 60
    Partition Name: MODEM
    Filename: modem.bin

--- Entry #12 ---
    Unused: Yes
    Partition Type: 1 (Unknown)
    Partition Block Size: 0
    Partition Block Count: 0
    Partition Name: 
    Filename:

Take Apart

T1i_8800s.JPG

Turn the phone over, remove the rear panel by pulling at the bottom, then remove the battery, SIM chip and Micro-SD card.

T1i_8819s.JPG

Remove the 8 Philips head screws around the edge of the phone.

T1i_7794s.JPG

Use a non-metallic tool such as a nylon guitar pick to pry around the edge of the back half, starting at the top.

T1i_8823s.JPG

Lift the back off.

T1i_8830s.JPG

Unplug the 3 wires marked with red arrows. These connectors are very delicate and must be gently rocked upward.

T1i_8840s.JPG

Lift the mainboard straight up to remove it.

T1i_8945s.JPG

Gently push the keyboard up from the other side, being careful to unhook the points marked with green arrows.

T1i_8849s.JPG

Remove the 4 screws marked with green arrows. Push the tabs marked with blue arrows. Repeat on the other side.

NOTE: Once the 4 screws have been removed on either side, the screen guides will no longer be attached to the phone. Be very careful when opening the screen!

T1i_8852s.JPG

Wiggle the shoulder buttons to remove them. Repeat on the other side.

T1i_8920s.JPG

If they have not fallen off already, the screen guides will need to be removed.

T1i_8940s.JPG

Push down gently on the top edge of the screen, causing the screen guides to lift up and out of their channels.

T1i_8903s.JPG

Remove the screen guides and set them aside.

T1i_8894s.JPG

Gently peel the screen cable marked with a red arrow from the body of the phone. It is held with double sided tape. Then unscrew the screws marked with green arrows.

T1i_8887s.JPG

The two black metal hinge covers are no longer attached, so the screen hinges marked with blue arrows can now be lifted free of the body of the phone.

Unfortunately this is all the further I went with my phone. I had only opened it to clean out some chocolate crumbs and I didn't want to risk damaging my screen by opening it as well. But it appears to be a very straightforward take apart from this point on. If you've made it this far, you should be able to get into the screen without much trouble.

There are four screws holding the screen together on the backside, two of which are covered by white stickers. There is also a screw on either side holding the hinge in place. With this in mind it should be easy to open the screen.

Re-assemble in reverse order ;)

References
    http://sidekick.t-mobile.com/
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-T839HABTMB
    http://www.gsmarena.com/t_mobile_sidekick_4g-3874.php
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/T-Mobile-Sidekick-4G_id5158
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3205

Reviews
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/29/sidekick-4g-review/
    http://androidcommunity.com/t-mobile-sidekick-4g-review-20110419/
    http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/04/sidekick-4g/
    http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/T-Mobile-Sidekick-4G-Review_id2713
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/cell-phones/sidekick-4g/11943.html
    http://www.theverge.com/2011/10/24/2509330/t-mobile-sidekick-4g-review
    Yeah, there's a metal cover piece which plugs the hole and holds the H-shaped hinge bar in place.

T1i_9776s.JPG