Game crashes

Search This thread

xath

Jul 30, 2010
I have a similar issue where the game screen freezes and flickers. I ended up doing a factory reset, and things started to look normal again. Before the reset, I couldn't even play the Glowball demo app from NVidia.

After the reset, I tried several 3D intensive games, and I can play normally without crashing. I then reinstalled my trove of apps. After 200+ or so apps reinstalled on the tablet, I tried to play the same game, but the flickers and freezes reoccurs.

So it appears that having too many apps installed might be some factor on why the flicker occurs. Might be related with a memory issue someone outlined here.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
So it appears that having too many apps installed might be some factor on why the flicker occurs. Might be related with a memory issue someone outlined here.

Just to be clear - the number of apps installed has nothing to do with how much memory (RAM) is used. Just installing an app doesn't cause it to use memory - it will use storage space (flash storage on a tablet), but not memory. It will only use RAM when the app is actually running. It's very common to confuse memory and storage space - people do it on PC's all of the time.

In my opinion, the more likely cause is one (or more) of the 200+ apps that were installed. Probably some sort of compatibility issue with an app. Unfortunately, finding the app(s) that are causing issues is no easy task!

It would be interesting to see what happens if you installed the apps one-by-one, while checking the Glowball app in between each app install. Yes, it's *very* time consuming and a real pain in the behind, but it just might help identify the real problem and solve your issues.

Please update us on your results if you do end up trying this method. If you are lucky, it's possible that you'll identify the offending app quickly so that you don't actually have to do this for *every* app...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

xcal321

Aug 13, 2012
Might be related with a memory issue someone outlined here.

Just installing an app doesn't cause it to use memory

Yes, just to be clear, what I was referring to is that while installing apps themselves only take up storage space, a lot of them do run in the background using precious memory. So the more apps you have, the bigger the chance that an app is running (even when you did not launch it yourself).

Together with the nvidia driver(s) memory hungry bug (which is supposedly already been fixed, but ASUS has not yet pushed it to our TF700), this results in the issues we have been seeing. While there is a workaround for the freeze/flicker issue (reboot, FMR), it is not a very practical one. Actually it annoys me so much, that I rarely play gfx intensive games now, even though it is one of the reasons I bought the TF700.

2tabletfamily

Aug 7, 2012
doesn't take much to mess up screeen !

I can hardly be called a gamer but since buying the tf700 I thought I would try some out

wind-up knight is fun -- and doesn't mess up too much --- but obviously this tablet can't handle much more than basic simple games (which is what I am best at !! )

I have just gone through my 2nd factory reset - a real pain --- the cause this time was the game OSMOS HD -- hardly a game really - but kinda fun !! totally messed up my screen=== jumping, and not responsive to touch. I am certain it was OSMOS that did it cuz it was the first new game in quite a while and was working fine till I used OSMOS.

I am not even certain my FR worked ---screen still not completely fixed....but better , but I might have to reset again....... total drag
I am not downloading any more game apps unless I read that an asus update has improved performance

(I am not rooted or unlocked .......and I have hardly any apps loaded)

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I can hardly be called a gamer but since buying the tf700 I thought I would try some out

wind-up knight is fun -- and doesn't mess up too much --- but obviously this tablet can't handle much more than basic simple games (which is what I am best at !! )

I have just gone through my 2nd factory reset - a real pain --- the cause this time was the game OSMOS HD -- hardly a game really - but kinda fun !! totally messed up my screen=== jumping, and not responsive to touch. I am certain it was OSMOS that did it cuz it was the first new game in quite a while and was working fine till I used OSMOS.

I am not even certain my FR worked ---screen still not completely fixed....but better , but I might have to reset again....... total drag
I am not downloading any more game apps unless I read that an asus update has improved performance

(I am not rooted or unlocked .......and I have hardly any apps loaded)

Are you sure it's not a hardware problem? Typically, an incompatible app will not continue to cause problems after a simple reboot, let alone after restoring to factory defaults. If a restore to factory defaults didn't "fix" the issue, I'd start thinking that you have a hardware issue... This is not normal at all.

2tabletfamily

Aug 7, 2012
Are you sure it's not a hardware problem? Typically, an incompatible app will not continue to cause problems after a simple reboot, let alone after restoring to factory defaults. If a restore to factory defaults didn't "fix" the issue, I'd start thinking that you have a hardware issue... This is not normal at all.

I am thinking it might be a hardware problem....... sigh

I just did another factory reset --- see how it behaves the next few days --- decide about sending it to ASUS for repair -- which I am not looking forward to doing -- but I might have to ---- I want it for a trip in a few weeks for basic internet/email/movies/books so if it can manage that , I will send it back after my trip if the touch screen is still wacky.

I have the keyboard so use that for all typing --- I can minimize touchscreen for now if I have to

Update : 2 days after last factory reset, screen wrking perfectly.......but staying away frome new games for the time being

Last edited:

xcal321

Aug 13, 2012
Together with the nvidia driver(s) memory hungry bug (which is supposedly already been fixed, but ASUS has not yet pushed it to our TF700), this results in the issues we have been seeing. While there is a workaround for the freeze/flicker issue (reboot, FMR), it is not a very practical one. Actually it annoys me so much, that I rarely play gfx intensive games now, even though it is one of the reasons I bought the TF700.

I have just installed the just released JB update and I have not had any issues up to now (a little over an hour after update). I have been able to play Horn, MC3, Nova3, Mini Motor, Asphalt 7, Flick Golf all without issue or the need to reboot in between. I can now show off the T33 to my fruity friends ;) without fear of crashing.

I had weird flickering in Six-Guns

I had a similar issue with Six-Guns. When enemies would move into certain lighting, they'd temporarily disappear/flash on screen. The first enemy I noticed to do this was the ground melee Vampires. I thought that it was one of their abilities until I realized that not all of them were disappearing. I tried rebooting my device, as well as running under a different performance profile: neither of which alleviated the issue. I just ended up uninstalling the game, which is a shame, because it seemed like a lot of fun

Last edited:

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
I can also attest to games working flawlessly after JB update. Games like Nova 3, Dead Trigger, MC3, Dark meadow, no longer crashes/freezes/flicker.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app