FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)

361 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,105

By guevor, Senior Member on 26th September 2012, 01:55 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
3rd October 2012, 11:26 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hey Guevor,

I hope you have a Paypal account or some other means of accepting donations [Edit: Found the donate button at the side of his post. I only had to look ] Absolutely amazing. Could you post the source too please?

5th October 2012, 09:53 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
congratulations, looks like some very nice development!

if ever you'd find the time to port it to the glow-kernel, I'm sure a lot of people would also appreciate it
5th October 2012, 12:35 PM |#23  
Flag istanbul
Thanks Meter: 89

More
This fast display mode is far better than no-refressh hack. i really loved it. and about the new kernel, much faster than stock. just had a couple freezes/reboots occasionally but after all its pretty good.
6th October 2012, 06:32 AM |#24  
Flag Detroit
Thanks Meter: 31

Donate to Me
More
couldnt get this to boot. anyway to get this in a more scaled back version? the fast display mode alone would be nice.
6th October 2012, 09:01 AM |#25  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valencia

Donate to Me
More
Hi

I've ported my changes to the kernel of glow (apart of the code added to operate the light, has some more modern parts of the code). I have also reverted the nominal voltage to normal (in my case I have not noticed any difference, but may improve stability for others, because each chip manufactured may have small differences and thus different tolerances)
I have prepared two new versions, one without and one with the usbhost.
I would like to avoid as far as possible the need to create multiple kernels (to reduce the time needed), but if necessary to prevent crashes, I will make another version with less overclocking.

The first thing I would ask is that people suffering crashes, try reducing the maximum speed with a program (I use OS Monitor, but there are many others) to see if the freeze dissapeared.

I can assure you that in my case I only had crashes in expected situations, basically trying to play videos (without having researched, I understand that the problem is that the DSP is used to process the output to epaper and the video codecs may try to use it too)
Attached Files
File Type: img uImage-usbhost.img - [Click for QR Code] (1.84 MB, 1678 views)
File Type: patch kernel-mod-v2.patch - [Click for QR Code] (27.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: img uImage.img - [Click for QR Code] (1.84 MB, 165 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to guevor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guevor Ad-Free
6th October 2012, 10:30 AM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guevor

Hi

I've ported my changes to the kernel of glow (apart of the code added to operate the light, has some more modern parts of the code). I have also reverted the nominal voltage to normal (in my case I have not noticed any difference, but may improve stability for others, because each chip manufactured may have small differences and thus different tolerances)
I have prepared two new versions, one without and one with the usbhost.
I would like to avoid as far as possible the need to create multiple kernels (to reduce the time needed), but if necessary to prevent crashes, I will make another version with less overclocking.

The first thing I would ask is that people suffering crashes, try reducing the maximum speed with a program (I use OS Monitor, but there are many others) to see if the freeze dissapeared.

I can assure you that in my case I only had crashes in expected situations, basically trying to play videos (without having researched, I understand that the problem is that the DSP is used to process the output to epaper and the video codecs may try to use it too)

Thanks for your work guevor.
Loaded the kernel on my Nook touch and there was a noticeable increase in responsiveness .
I think you should start numbering your releases.

Is that kernel applicable to both devices (The NST and NG), and is fast mode still working in this new kernel?
6th October 2012, 10:35 AM |#27  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valencia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_hawk

Thanks for your work guevor.
Loaded the kernel on my Nook touch and there was a noticeable increase in responsiveness .
I think you should start numbering your releases.

Is that kernel applicable to both devices (The NST and NG), and is fast mode still working in this new kernel?

Yes, it should work on both devices and has fast mode.
The Following User Says Thank You to guevor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guevor Ad-Free
6th October 2012, 11:07 AM |#28  
Flag Poznań
Thanks Meter: 136

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guevor

Hi

To play videos you need to have an external video player. I use "RockPlayer Lite" for video playback and TubeMate for downloading videos from youtube.

- Also..
My USB keyboard stopped working with your kernel. The USB Mode Utility shows that the keyboard is connected but no "key codes" gets recognized.

edit : the device still freezes up at random moments [NST].
6th October 2012, 06:45 PM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
So my brother just bought a nook glowtouch and we are wondering... He is planning to install glownooter, can he install glownooter, and then patch the kernal that guyver posted and have the fastmode screen refresh?

Thanks.
6th October 2012, 08:15 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hello,
Very intresting topic. I have my NST (1.1.2) rooted using MinimalTouch. I'm kinda new with Android so I've got one question.

I've installed uImage (works fine) through adb, but how to install kernel-mod-v2? What it does exactly?

EDIT:
I was just testing FastMode and Nook completely froze while reading PDF. How can I reboot system?

EDIT2:
I'm using A.I.type Keyboard and after copy uImage it started to lagging. You have to wait ~1.5 second to see typed letter.
7th October 2012, 12:26 AM |#31  
Flag Abruzzo (PE)
Thanks Meter: 55

More
EDIT2:
I'm using A.I.type Keyboard and after copy uImage it started to lagging. You have to wait ~1.5 second to see typed letter.[/QUOTE]

So I'm not the only one... I have the same problem with Calculator app, there is a little lag. Obviously with Fast Mode disabled.

In other apps, games and in particular while reading CBR files (comics) with "Perfect Viewer" app, the speed is almost doubled.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread