[Q] Keyboard continuous input (swype alike) disabled

Search This thread

kersh

Oct 28, 2007
Hi

Anyone knows why the option of continuous input it is disabled in my system?

I saw in the videos that we could use the keyboard as swype but I can't enable it.

2mxhd.png

Sebring5

Aug 23, 2010
Scottsdale AZ
Curious. Mine works fine.

Check your advanced settings that appear when you click on predictative text. Do you have personalized data on? Are you signed into Gmail, Twitter or Facebook? Try clearing your remote and personalized data.

Are you signed into your Samsung account? Did you sign the privacy agreement with the Samsung account?

You can email Swiftkey. It is their product that Samsung has licensed. Samsung has a limited use license.

It does not work with all languages. Try removing Spanish and see if it will work with English only. It may support only one language. If you bought a Spanish version try removing English.

Last edited:

kersh

Oct 28, 2007
No, no personalized anything

I don't let the keyboard to login gmail and twitter, also I have tried to reset. Tried to sign to samsung account and nothing, tried with gmail sync nothing. Removed all languages and adding english uk or usa alone, nothing.

Very strange

changaz

Feb 18, 2009
I had the same problem with mine.

It took ages to try and isolate the problem because the Swype keyboard is a must have for me and it was driving me nuts not being able to turn it back on.

For me, the problem first showed up when I installed Light Flow and then it worked again when I uninstalled that app. Then it happened again when I installed Tasker.

Both of these apps ask for your permission to have it listed as a Service under the Accessibility settings option. It says something about giving the apps reading access to text entered into the system.

SOLUTION: go to Settings > Accessibility > Services. Try turning whatever is 'on' to 'off' and try to enable continuous input again.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

kersh

Oct 28, 2007
Wow, what a fail from samsung.

It was that, but I can't resign to use lightflow, tasker and wp7 notifications to have swype-alike in the samsung keyboard... Even if I check it after disable everything on accessibility and stays checked, after activate it all again, it doesn't work.

I think I am going to install swype beta.

deohrishikesh7

Feb 29, 2012
PUNE
Continuous typing option is available under samsung keyboard settings which will give swype like typing.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Sebring5

Aug 23, 2010
Scottsdale AZ

It was that, but I can't resign to use lightflow, tasker and wp7 notifications to have swype-alike in the samsung keyboard... Even if I check it after disable everything on accessibility and stays checked, after activate it all again, it doesn't work.

Unbelievable. So sorry you are having this issue. I can't think of anything else to try or even what the issue may be. Mine works fine. Sorry I can't be of more help. This may be the key to your problem:

Samsung keyboard
The available options may vary depending on the region or service provider.

andrewpmoore

Nov 21, 2003
Leeds
www.rageconsulting.com
I've been pointed here by one of our users.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me. Samsung seem to have totally messed up accessibility since the release of ice cream sandwich.

These are the following issues I'm seeing and they are not specific to our app as I've tried pops, llama, tasker and several others which all exhibit the same issues.
I've even written the smallest possible accessibility service app and tried every since combination of settings regarding notifications to try and eliminate the issues but they still persist.

Current issues:
1. Talkback - you'll probably get "open folders" etc when zooming on the homescreens with accessibility on.
2. Google now - it seems to remove being able to use the word "google" to activate the google now service in jelly bean
3. Now this issue with disabling the continuous input
4. Some of the s-pen options sometimes get switched off by enabling accessibility services - but these seem to be able to be just switched back on again.

I've sent sample code to Samsung R&D in Texas (after spending a couple of weeks getting to that state with customer services). I had to post code to them (literally via snail mail as they wouldn't give me an e-mail address) and asked for a confirmation of receipt, but didn't get anything.

I'm trying to think of ways to raise the profile of these issues to get them noticed more.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: xak944 and brooon

awkm

Dec 5, 2009
I've come to the same conclusions as you have... accesibility just screws up the keyboard big time. This is making me so angry because I want to use some of these great apps... but it's the Samsung KB that has handwriting recognition! I dont' want to keep switching between swype and Samsung KB... uhggg.

DCLXV2

May 10, 2011
Curses!!!

I did notice the same thing with the hoover function in the pen when enabling Light Flow but I never (ever ever) would have connected this KB issue to it my self...

Hmmm...I'm sorry but I think I'll disble Light Flow... :(

(BTW, is there a way for developers to disable the automatic translation of app titles in the play store? Light Flows name sounds really silly translated to Swedish...)

EDIT: I did disable Light Flow in the accesibility (SP?) meny and Light Flow still works! And I have "Swype"... :)

Last edited:

andrewpmoore

Nov 21, 2003
Leeds
www.rageconsulting.com
Curses!!!

I did notice the same thing with the hoover function in the pen when enabling Light Flow but I never (ever ever) would have connected this KB issue to it my self...

Hmmm...I'm sorry but I think I'll disble Light Flow... :(

(BTW, is there a way for developers to disable the automatic translation of app titles in the play store? Light Flows name sounds really silly translated to Swedish...)

EDIT: I did disable Light Flow in the accesibility (SP?) meny and Light Flow still works! And I have "Swype"... :)

Some bits of lightflow will work, others won't. Setting the "clear notification style" to screen will probably work best, but you'll be limited in notification types that will monitor correctly.

sms, gmail, missed calls, battery charged/charging/low, signal, silent mode, gtalk should still work though.

Lucidmike

Dec 6, 2009
www.youtube.com

What a hard knock on Samsung for something so small in relative to how much they've done with this phone. Have you considered that maybe it is the app developer of lightflow who should update his code to work around this problem? I'm thinking apps like lightflow works by overriding some settings and controls, and it is probably more likely that the lightflow is overriding unnecessary ones.

That makes more sense to me than Samsung having code in there disabling continuous input when it seems that you have something like lightflow enabled. :angel:

andrewpmoore

Nov 21, 2003
Leeds
www.rageconsulting.com
What a hard knock on Samsung for something so small in relative to how much they've done with this phone. Have you considered that maybe it is the app developer of lightflow who should update his code to work around this problem? I'm thinking apps like lightflow works by overriding some settings and controls, and it is probably more likely that the lightflow is overriding unnecessary ones.

That makes more sense to me than Samsung having code in there disabling continuous input when it seems that you have something like lightflow enabled. :angel:

It's certainly a samsung issue. I've written a tiny textbook example app that just registers the accessibility service and does nothing else and the talkback and continuous typing issues occur. It happens for all apps that register the accessibility service also and that's following the android guidelines for developing one. Believe me, if there was an easy way to work around this issue I would. There are about 20 different combinations of registering different events in accessibility and I've tried every single one and that all manifest in getting this issue. It's not always possible to work around underlying bugs such as this. There are a number of apps affected such as Tasker, Llama, noLed, missedIt, pops etc which all use the same service. I've spoken to the devs of most of these apps about the issue too. Some apps such as tasker and llama it's not as obvious as it's only if you enable monitoring notifications which they don't have enabled by default.

The developers of swype had a similar issue over the last week or so where swype got disabled when enabling accessibility services. They identified the issue and fixed their app to work. I really wish there was a way to code around this, but I've been looking for one for months as from my support e-mails it's probably the biggest reason for the app to get uninstalled.

I encourage people to report it to samsung and see what they say.

Reactions: feelthepain444

DCLXV2

May 10, 2011
It's certainly a samsung issue. I've written a tiny textbook example app that just registers the accessibility service and does nothing else and the talkback and continuous typing issues occur. It happens for all apps that register the accessibility service also and that's following the android guidelines for developing one. Believe me, if there was an easy way to work around this issue I would. There are about 20 different combinations of registering different events in accessibility and I've tried every single one and that all manifest in getting this issue. It's not always possible to work around underlying bugs such as this. There are a number of apps affected such as Tasker, Llama, noLed, missedIt, pops etc which all use the same service. I've spoken to the devs of most of these apps about the issue too. Some apps such as tasker and llama it's not as obvious as it's only if you enable monitoring notifications which they don't have enabled by default.

The developers of swype had a similar issue over the last week or so where swype got disabled when enabling accessibility services. They identified the issue and fixed their app to work. I really wish there was a way to code around this, but I've been looking for one for months as from my support e-mails it's probably the biggest reason for the app to get uninstalled.

I, as a unitiated user, also think it's Samsungs fault as the phone warns that enabling Talkback diables Countious input when I enable Light Flow...Talkback countinues to be disabled...

I belive this isn't the right place for a feature request but as I am already posting about Light Flow... I'd like to make my led blink while the phone is powered on (like the ancient Ericsson GH388), much easier to find the phone in the dark... :)
Mabey it is possible already but I couldn't find a logical way to enable it...

andrewpmoore

Nov 21, 2003
Leeds
www.rageconsulting.com
I, as a unitiated user, also think it's Samsungs fault as the phone warns that enabling Talkback diables Countious input when I enable Light Flow...Talkback countinues to be disabled...

I belive this isn't the right place for a feature request but as I am already posting about Light Flow... I'd like to make my led blink while the phone is powered on (like the ancient Ericsson GH388), much easier to find the phone in the dark... :)
Mabey it is possible already but I couldn't find a logical way to enable it...

Do you mean when the screen is on, or just when it's switched on (or in standby with the screen off). If you mean the latter, then using a combination for "signal" and "no signal" can pretty much do the same.

stefanjadex

Dec 21, 2006
I had the same issue with the Samsung keyboard. :mad:
The continuous input has been disabled once, but I didn't realized why. I crushed my brains out to enabled it again but no luck... Until I found this thread.
Great to find out, because I was decided to completely wipe my phone and to install everything from scratch. :laugh:
I want to give a BIG "hank you" to all this great developers community.

Now, I'm also upset because I cannot use LightFlow. Let's hope the developer will found a workaround for his application, because it's also useful.

THANK YOU,

Stefan

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Ya, this is killing me. I was praying I was just doing something wrong. But I don't know how I'm going to live without lightflow and NotifierPro (notifications for google voice SMS).

There's got to be a work around to disable this.
The other option is to stick with the new 4.2 keyboard with swiping.. which is good (er. borked for me right now until I figure it out).

This is good -- I see all of the developers are collaborating with the Samsungites.
http://developer.samsung.com/forum/...=GeneralB&messageId=204387&messageNumber=2156

Last edited:

spfraggle

Sep 18, 2009
I ended up just installing Swype anyway. The accuracy in the Samsung keyboard fire continuous input wasn't that good for me and the Swype keyboard is a little smaller so takes up less of the screen. Only downside is that you don't get the tiny keyboard in multi-screen

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had the same problem with mine.

It took ages to try and isolate the problem because the Swype keyboard is a must have for me and it was driving me nuts not being able to turn it back on.

For me, the problem first showed up when I installed Light Flow and then it worked again when I uninstalled that app. Then it happened again when I installed Tasker.

Both of these apps ask for your permission to have it listed as a Service under the Accessibility settings option. It says something about giving the apps reading access to text entered into the system.

SOLUTION: go to Settings > Accessibility > Services. Try turning whatever is 'on' to 'off' and try to enable continuous input again.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
    I've been pointed here by one of our users.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me. Samsung seem to have totally messed up accessibility since the release of ice cream sandwich.

These are the following issues I'm seeing and they are not specific to our app as I've tried pops, llama, tasker and several others which all exhibit the same issues.
    I've even written the smallest possible accessibility service app and tried every since combination of settings regarding notifications to try and eliminate the issues but they still persist.

Current issues:
    1. Talkback - you'll probably get "open folders" etc when zooming on the homescreens with accessibility on.
    2. Google now - it seems to remove being able to use the word "google" to activate the google now service in jelly bean
    3. Now this issue with disabling the continuous input
    4. Some of the s-pen options sometimes get switched off by enabling accessibility services - but these seem to be able to be just switched back on again.

I've sent sample code to Samsung R&D in Texas (after spending a couple of weeks getting to that state with customer services). I had to post code to them (literally via snail mail as they wouldn't give me an e-mail address) and asked for a confirmation of receipt, but didn't get anything.

I'm trying to think of ways to raise the profile of these issues to get them noticed more.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for this post!

Like many other, I was unable to understand why my continuous input was disabled since a week or so.

I have my Pebble for a week and the sync application require... Accessibility...!

ps: Im using a S3

Should be fixed in the next software release according to Samsung from what they've told me. They found the fault and have a fix ready and waiting.