[CWM][GT-I9305] CF-ROOT CWM Recovery Ported + SuperSu + BusyBox

Search This thread

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Gt-i9305 Titanium Gray from Hong Kong arrived in italy

5 minutes later i installed Sweden 2012 September I9305XXALI9 I9305TLAALI6

after other 3 minutes with your method i have my new phone rooted and with CWM recovery

first quadrant 5393

thanks thanks :D

Last edited:

kahjuay

Aug 11, 2010
USB jig

u wont get triangle but ur binary counter increased..just like mine..i dont have big yellow triangle..but there is 1 tiny red ! on top left on the screen " Galaxy SIII LTE "
looking for a way to reset the counter...just tested with i9100 usb jig and is not working..

Hi, would the jig still enable you to enter download mode? If yes, I think it will be good to invest in the jig as an insurance policy.

Pursuitz

Feb 17, 2010
Seems like this method does not fully work on phones running on build JRO03C.I9305XXALI9. I was wondering if there is any way to stop the rom from reverting back to stock recovery.

trinityb4

Jan 27, 2009
Gt-i9305 Titanium Gray from Hong Kong arrived in italy

5 minutes later i installed Sweden 2012 September I9305XXALI9 I9305TLAALI6

after other 3 minutes with your method i have my new phone rooted and with CWM recovery

first quadrant 5393

thanks thanks :D

Hi zulu, you are one dare devil. Is everything working fine on your device?

redviper52

Oct 6, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
The workaround for cwm not appearing is that during the auto-rebooting process after Odin has successfully flashed cwm, u need to pull out the battery, go try it, works for me...

Apparently this is happening to i9305 phones that have updated software in one way or another (i.e. via OTA, Kies...) the android default recovery will reinstall during the rebooting process and replace the cwm that has been flashed.

Note that every time you need to use cwm, you need to use Odin again to flash cwm again + pulling battery trick. Troublesome but u can nevertheless have your phone rooted...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Premium HD app

Thanks Bro... Worked well for my Singtel updated set I just got this evening...

prodigiez

Nov 8, 2008
well done everyone.. all of us in this thread just void our warranty LOL :p

@kahjuay : yes the usb jib will bring you to download mode only

Reactions: kahjuay

Pursuitz

Feb 17, 2010
I've answered this earlier in this thread. You can. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, the link you posted earlier works, thanks :good: though it actually wasn't as simple as that webpage suggested.

After Odin, I pulled out the battery while rebooting as suggested by naisheng. Then I entered recovery to flash SU (recovery is now cwm, but once phone is booted, it reverts to stock).

Now that I have root access to remount the write only /system as rewritable, I used adb shell command to remove the /system/recovery-from-boot.p

Lastly, I used Odin to flash cwm recovery again but this time, I waited for it to do a full reboot. I shutted it down, booted to recovery and voila, cwm recovery stays :)

trinityb4

Jan 27, 2009
Yeah, the link you posted earlier works, thanks :good: though it actually wasn't as simple as that webpage suggested.

After Odin, I pulled out the battery while rebooting as suggested by naisheng. Then I entered recovery to flash SU (recovery is now cwm, but once phone is booted, it reverts to stock).

Now that I have root access to remount the write only /system as rewritable, I used adb shell command to remove the /system/recovery-from-boot.p

Lastly, I used Odin to flash cwm recovery again but this time, I waited for it to do a full reboot. I shutted it down, booted to recovery and voila, cwm recovery stays :)

Great work! yet to try it on my set.
i will give it a try on tomorrow. Hate to lose own rom. Will get back to see if that helps.
Fingers crossed guys!:angel:

willy6182

Oct 9, 2012
same problem!

I tried this ([CWM GT-I9305] CF-ROOT CWM Recovery for GT-I9305 (Tested & Working)) step by step and have now lost my IMEI and unable to detect my SIM...

Any suggestions? Unable to do factory reset as won't mount and getting the red exclamation mark in the top left corner when entering download mode..

Using: GT-I9305T

Thanks...

I have the same problem as this, did you find an answer?? If there is anyone who can help with this that would be a life saver! :)

eifelman

Oct 11, 2007
... find and remove a file named /system/recovery-from-boot.p

Thank you, this saved my day! :good:

12. Put the phone in recovery mode.
(Hold down power, volume up and home when the device is turned off and unplugged.)

12.5 If you don´t see CWM in recovery mode (but original android recovery), you must go back to step 5. At the moment odin is ready and your phone reboots, you must pull off the battery. I did it at the moment I saw the Samsung message at the display. Not a good feeling but it works.

Wait a few seconds and put the battery into you phone and now you can boot into CWM recovery.

I don´t find a way to rename "/system/recovery-from-boot.p" or delete it in CWM recovery. So I rooted my phone and after the next reboot I renamed the file with the root-explorer.

Finaly I flashed "I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5" again and now it is fixed.

13. After that you can flash the CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip to be ROOT to any firmware and make a backup and restore of your firmware, also you can now flash any custom rom / kernel made for GT-I9305.

I flashed CWM 10 to 15 times until I understood the problem. What about the counter? How can I read it? And which problems appear if the counter is to high?

Thanks and regards
Manni

btemtd

Aug 8, 2012
That's strange why did my cwm stick with no problem at all but some other's do not?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

we need our own general and q&a thread. I dont like the fact that we have to post in amongst i9300 threads. Can we all ask the mods this? The more of uz the better.

What we want?

Our own I9305 general thread and q&a thread or atleast our own q&a thread. Lets all msg the mods please
Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

trinityb4

Jan 27, 2009
Omg! Can't wait to get it done!

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

just wondering, will i be able to reset the flash counter with triangle away in I9305 if i need to for warranty purpose?

Try it? May give it a try. How about mobile Odin?

zyonee

Nov 13, 2009
Stockholm
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
That's strange why did my cwm stick with no problem at all but some other's do not?

It seems that only some versions of the Samsung GT-I9305 official firmwares have the file /system/boot-recovery.p, meaning only those will actually reflash stock recovery on each boot if a non-stock one is detected.

Once again for all those who have this problem, this is how you do it, there are two methods.

Method 1:

1. Flash CWM from ODIN
2. When the phone automatically reboots after flash, give it 2-3 seconds on the Samsung logo, then pull your battery so the stock recovery won't be reflashed.
3. Replace the battery and use the key combination VolUp+Home+Power (release power first and keep holding the others) to enter recovery.
4. Once in recovery, access your phone via "adb shell". In the shell, type "mount /system" and then "rm /system/boot-recovery.p" or "mv boot-recovery.p boot-recovery.p.backup"
5. Now you can reboot your phone and CWM should stick.

Method 2:

(Execute steps 1-3 above)
4. Once in recovery, flash the SuperSU zip to gain root and then reboot.
5. Once booted, use Root Explorer or a similar app to remount /system into read/write and rename or delete /system/boot-recover.p.
6. Flash CWM once more, but this time the system will not automatically reflash the stock one upon bootup.

Can the OP please put this in the first post so we don't need to answer this over and over again? :cyclops:

rickadlee

Dec 27, 2011
worked perfectly first time on a Telstra Australia GT-I9305T. was a bit hasty to root as there is no stock firmware of recovery available to go back to :S

Sent from my GT-I9305T using xda app-developers app

Anyone running the Telstra GT-I9305t can find the latest stock firmware dvali6 at: http://www.hotfile.com/dl/175915381/af3a9cd/I9305TDVALI6_I9305TTELALI3_TEL.zip.html

Just flash via Odin and you will have stock recovery and Rom back. Flash counter will not reset but you don't get the red exclamation anymore.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

trinityb4

Jan 27, 2009
Dear all, i've successfully rooted the Gt-I9305 LTE . After flashing CWM with odin while phone begins to boot, pull battery and put it back. Then reboot phone using Vol up + Home + Power. CWM appears!

So i flash SU using CWM reboot and run su update. Also install root explorer but cannot find system/boot-recovery.p.
but i can do a reboot on the phone and Cwm is staying ok.

Thanks!:D

Baseband ver I9305DXALI7
build no. JRO03C.I9305XXALI9
Rooted!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is Chainfire CWM recovery ported for all GT-I9305.

Steps:

1. Download Odin from this post.

2. Download I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5

3. Unzip Odin to your desktop.

4. Copy the I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5 to the same directory.

5. Boot your SGS in to download mode.
    (Power off and then press and hold the power + volume down + home buttons at the same time)

6. Connect your phone to your PC using the cable that came with it.

7. If Kies is running on your pc shut it down.

8. Open the Odin application.
    (Make sure your phone is detected, there will be a yellow square in the top left corner.)

9. Choose PDA button and select the I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5.

10. Press start and wait. Your phone will be flashed and reboot when it is finished.
    (After Odin finish let the device reboot to android at least one time before applying I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5.)

11. When the phone reboot, power it off again.

12. Put the phone in recovery mode.
    (Hold down power, volume up and home when the device is turned off and unplugged.)

13. After that you can flash the Root_SuperSU.1.02-Busybox.1.21.0.zip to be ROOTED to any firmware and make a backup and restore of your firmware, also you can now flash any custom rom / kernel made for GT-I9305.

Mirror's:

DropBox-I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5

Many thank's to Chainfire for the CWM recovery and also to mick.wheelz for the successful test's of my ported recovery.

To reset the counter back to 0 use the TriangleWay from Chainfire.

Workaround for those firmwares have boot-recovery.p in system folder and reflash original recovery after reboot.

1). Copy Root_SuperSU.1.02-Busybox.1.21.0.zip and Remove-boot-recovery.p.zip to your device internal memory card.

2). Boot your device in to download mode.
    (Power off and then press and hold the power + volume down + home button at the same time)

3). Flash I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5 with Odin with unchecked the Auto Reboot box.

4). After Odin finish do not turn off or restart the device but try to go in recovery mode.
    (Press and hold the power + volume up + home button at the same time)

5). Once in recovery, flash the Root_SuperSU.1.02-Busybox.1.21.0.zip to gain root and Remove-boot-recovery.p.zip to delete the boot-recovery.p file and then reboot.​
    CWM and ROOT. Guide for complete dummies.

Based on guide by ausdim and this thread.
    -1. Download and install Kies by Samsung.

0. Unplug your SGS if it's plugged.

1. Download Odin

2. Download I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5

3. Download Root_SuperSU.1.02-Busybox.1.21.0.zip and put it on sdcard formatted with FAT32. Put the card into your SGS.

4. Unzip Odin somewhere and start executable .

5. Copy the I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5 to the same directory.

6. Shut down your SGS and shut down Kies.

7. Boot your SGS in to download mode.
    (Press and hold the home then volume down then power buttons at the same time)
    You will see yellow triangle and be offered with 2 options to choose: reboot or continue. Please, continue.
    On the next screen you will see this:

8. Connect your phone to your PC using the cable that came with it.
    If everything in order, you'll see message <ID:0/006> Added!! in the message box and ID:COM bar which is upper will change it's color from grey to blue or yellow. Inside this bar you'll see a message: 0:[COM6].
    There may be any number, not 6, but this number will be as in the message box, so in the ID:COM bar.

9. Press PDA button and select the I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5. Take a peek on "Auto-Reboot" checkbox at Option block. It's already checked and greyed.

10. Press Start. If everything went fine, you'll see following text in message box:
    Code:
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
    <ID:0/006> File analysis..
    <ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/006> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/006> recovery.img
    <ID:0/006> NAND Write Start!! 
    <ID:0/006> RQT_CLOSE !!
    <ID:0/006> RES OK !!
    <ID:0/006> Removed!!
    <ID:0/006> Remain Port ....  0 
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
    Big indicator in the upper left corner will become blue and your SGS will be rebooted. Do not plug it off!
    After reboot the indicator will become green Do not plug it off even after reboot!

11. Shut down your SGS after reboot and still you mustn't pull out USB dongle.

12. Boot your SGS in to download mode.
    (Press and hold the home then volume down then power buttons at the same time)

13. Uncheck "Auto-Reboot" checkbox at Option block. Do not touch any other checkboxes even checked F.Reset Time.

14. Press PDA button and select the I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5 again. Press Start. Do not do anything until you see PASS! on big green indicator. Do not shutdown SGS either!. Keep your SGS in Download Mode.

15. Start up recovery mode right from the Download Mode.
    (Press and hold the home then volume UP then power buttons at the same time)
    Hold them until you see SGS 3 logo with small exclamation mark in the upper left corner of your SGS. Now release them.

16. Now you're in CWM Recovery. Use Install from sdcard option to root your SGS.
    After the proces will be finished, you will see something like this.

17. Now reboot your SGS using CWM Recovery option.

-------------------
    Guys! I'll add some pictures as soon as I'll get to know how to use spoilers.
    The workaround for cwm not appearing is that during the auto-rebooting process after Odin has successfully flashed cwm, u need to pull out the battery, go try it, works for me...

Apparently this is happening to i9305 phones that have updated software in one way or another (i.e. via OTA, Kies...) the android default recovery will reinstall during the rebooting process and replace the cwm that has been flashed.

Note that every time you need to use cwm, you need to use Odin again to flash cwm again + pulling battery trick. Troublesome but u can nevertheless have your phone rooted...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Premium HD app
    Maybe this is the problem (check half way down where the article is updated about the non sticking recovery):

www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/01/ha...-jelly-bean-heres-a-method-that-works-how-to/

It was on the GNex when JB was released, but it could be the same problem. Once in recovery, see if you can find and remove a file named /system/recovery-from-boot.p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    sorry to ask, is this also applicable to Galaxy S3 GT-i9305 XXALI6?

This is for all GT-I9305's
    Firmware doesn't mater.