[Bandaid Fix] Boot looping due to power button

Search This thread

evilmika

Jan 27, 2009
First and foremost, you attempt this at your own risk and I am not responsible for what happens to your device. This saved me from buying a new phone when I had an unidentifiable and persistent black screen/boot loop

Symptoms you are boot looping due to your power button sticking:
1. Black screen with intermittent vibrating
2. Phone restarts during boot animation
3. Unable to enter recovery before phone restarts
4. Unable to enter download mode before restart
5. USB JIG forces phone into download mode and restart occurs
6. Phone turns on when battery is inserted

This fix will only work if the button is STUCK and not defective. Remove back cover and battery. Remove the 6 screws on the back of the phone and gently pry the housing off.

TAuAoEvvdCiuQtuj.medium

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Samsung+Galaxy+s+2+(T-mobile)(T989)+Phone/8179/1

After that, find the power button. Using a small flat head screwdriver gently push the button cover away from the mechanical button and try to press the mechanical button in to see if you can still feel it "click". After that, reassembled and test. Hope it works for you too.

Call_Me_Creep

Sep 12, 2009
H-Town
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hey buddy, I want to thank you for your guide.
I followed it every step, but unfortunately I was not able to fix my phone.
It still loops every time I press on the power button.
It might be a hardware failure.

Not sure what else to do.
Help!!!!

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
my buttons were sticking ( power button and volume down ) to on my phone , it got to the point where the power button was no longer working and my phone was out of warranty. I just decided to take phone apart and disassemble it and then i located the power button and used some " CRC QD Electronic Cleaner " and just sprayed it (using the straw that CRC comes with) directly into the power button (when i say "spray" i mean i pushed the spray button for about 1 second). After spraying it i pressed the button like 20 times, then i sprayed some more and while spraying (spray for 1 second) i was pushing the button about another 20-30 times. I repeated the spray and push cycle about 10 times (which means i probably pressed the power button over 300 times ), I waited about 5 mins to make sure it was "dry" and then i put the battery back in and test it and It seemed to have cleaned it out and now my power button worked. Then i put everything back together.

Note: I tried to spray and press it with the phone with the enclosure/case/body on but the button cover blocks the actual button and i was forced to actually disassemble the case, its not to hard just looks intimidating. whole process took me about 45 mins first time.

Note 2: CRC QD Electronic Cleaner can also be found at most local auto parts stores BE SURE TO GET THAT BRAND as it is non-conductive, i repeat GET THAT EXACT BRAND/MODEL Cleaner, cheaper brands might be conductive despite it saying it is safe or does not dry as fast and who knows what might happen, CRC is a known well brand and has a good rep)

original thread there http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20910029

...Hey where did that "thanks" button go!!... :)

VPrU5.jpg

keywords: power volume up down rocker button push stuck stick sticky unstick clogged jam jammed dirty dirt auto automatically

Wareazy

Nov 1, 2011
NYC
so after giggling and wiggling ... spraying and pushing ... (none of which worked)
I went back to the Nintendo standby .. blow at the port ... go figure ... i guess something got stuck in the USB port kept making my phone reboot lol

Thanks for the help all!!!!

ipeench

Jun 29, 2010
Chicago
Ugh..any other suggestions?? I can't believer they are considering this ISER damage! This is my third one. First one had powerbutton issue, replacement had a screen issue where it look like water was on the screen... Two months later is one has power button issue.. This is some bs.

strataris

Jan 15, 2013
I made this account just so I could give my 2 cents here. I was having random reboot problems with my sgs2 and it would vibrate on a black screen after rebooting etc. I took the back casing off by taking out screws and prying off plastic backing and just hit the power button with an air can while pressing the power button and voila, now my phone isnt having the issue anymore. Thought id have to replace the button but it seemed to be working fine so i thought id try the air can first. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the direction of it being the power button, wouldnt have guessed that myself.

dayzesrs

Jan 22, 2011
Mine was still clicking. Kinda took it upon myself to do this and I also sent mine to Mobile Tech videos. The service he offered was great but a bit confusing

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

sharpeyedman

Mar 27, 2011
I have two hercules and first one which is about 10 months old started having power button problem(infinite boot loop) in Last November.

At first, I kinda clicked it ^well to let it boot to ics but as soon as I press the power to wake up screen or shut off the screen the phone would restart n go into boot looop.

So I tried not to use the power button at all but it got to a point where it was unusable. So I opened it up and cleaned he inside but it didn't help. So I decided to send it off to mobiltechvideo.

But one day, it just dissapeared completely. I mean I suffered so muh from this yet it is gone and I can't even simulate the bootloop now.

I am thinking its not electrical problem due to chip in the button go bad but rather physical problem.

Perhaps tiny particle or dust getting into ppwer button module causing the boot loop.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: demoncamber

Wareazy

Nov 1, 2011
NYC
After trying many different things, including opening it up, air can, etc. I sent my phone back to T-Mobile. They made me upgrade from stock GB to ICS first though insisting it was a GB issue. New phone works perfect... you shouldn't even need insurance to do this as its a defect not broken by user. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

xxcaponexx

Jan 16, 2009
Chicago
After trying many different things, including opening it up, air can, etc. I sent my phone back to T-Mobile. They made me upgrade from stock GB to ICS first though insisting it was a GB issue. New phone works perfect... you shouldn't even need insurance to do this as its a defect not broken by user. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

I tried to take it to the T-mobile store and they said since I didnt have insurance nothing could be done. I am so pissed at them since I have been with them for over 8 years and never had any issues with phones. What exactly did you tell them? I tried all the fixes and my phone just does not want to stay on. I even took it to a cell phone repair shop and they were completely useless. Told me that it was a software issue. I am on stock iCS just rooted.

iamhunterx

Jan 20, 2013
may be the power button is dead
i shipped to mobiletechvideos for 35 plus shipping (found in ebay)
hoop he can fix it by replace a new power button

I tried to take it to the T-mobile store and they said since I didnt have insurance nothing could be done. I am so pissed at them since I have been with them for over 8 years and never had any issues with phones. What exactly did you tell them? I tried all the fixes and my phone just does not want to stay on. I even took it to a cell phone repair shop and they were completely useless. Told me that it was a software issue. I am on stock iCS just rooted.

_eroz

Oct 22, 2011
Brookfield, IL
I had the same problem but on the att version. There was a cable/wire that had a clip on the end that was loose. I just made sure it was well connected and it stopped rebooting. Total cost $0. Really easy fix, no need to send it any where.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

garth719

Oct 4, 2012
this worked for me.. just thought id let you guys know since i had the same issue. will report back if anything changes in the future.

edit: continued boot looping after a couple hours or so. sending it in to mobiletechvideos tomorrow for a "power button fix"

edit edit: got it back and the power button still wasnt fuctioning properly.. now it does the opposite and the screen wont turn off after a few presses.. im getting a google nexus. peace

Last edited:

ggrimm8

Jan 26, 2013
power switch power on jumpers

removed power switch on infuse thinking / hoping it caused bootlooping samsung logo . my ? how to power up without switch? what connection(s) do i make with jumpers?

Last edited:

s27smith

Apr 26, 2010
Disassembly and cleaning fixed mine. Dabbed some 99% rubbing alcohol the power button, some clicking and back to life. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    my buttons were sticking ( power button and volume down ) to on my phone , it got to the point where the power button was no longer working and my phone was out of warranty. I just decided to take phone apart and disassemble it and then i located the power button and used some " CRC QD Electronic Cleaner " and just sprayed it (using the straw that CRC comes with) directly into the power button (when i say "spray" i mean i pushed the spray button for about 1 second). After spraying it i pressed the button like 20 times, then i sprayed some more and while spraying (spray for 1 second) i was pushing the button about another 20-30 times. I repeated the spray and push cycle about 10 times (which means i probably pressed the power button over 300 times ), I waited about 5 mins to make sure it was "dry" and then i put the battery back in and test it and It seemed to have cleaned it out and now my power button worked. Then i put everything back together.

Note: I tried to spray and press it with the phone with the enclosure/case/body on but the button cover blocks the actual button and i was forced to actually disassemble the case, its not to hard just looks intimidating. whole process took me about 45 mins first time.

Note 2: CRC QD Electronic Cleaner can also be found at most local auto parts stores BE SURE TO GET THAT BRAND as it is non-conductive, i repeat GET THAT EXACT BRAND/MODEL Cleaner, cheaper brands might be conductive despite it saying it is safe or does not dry as fast and who knows what might happen, CRC is a known well brand and has a good rep)

original thread there http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20910029

...Hey where did that "thanks" button go!!... :)

VPrU5.jpg

keywords: power volume up down rocker button push stuck stick sticky unstick clogged jam jammed dirty dirt auto automatically
    First and foremost, you attempt this at your own risk and I am not responsible for what happens to your device. This saved me from buying a new phone when I had an unidentifiable and persistent black screen/boot loop

Symptoms you are boot looping due to your power button sticking:
    1. Black screen with intermittent vibrating
    2. Phone restarts during boot animation
    3. Unable to enter recovery before phone restarts
    4. Unable to enter download mode before restart
    5. USB JIG forces phone into download mode and restart occurs
    6. Phone turns on when battery is inserted

This fix will only work if the button is STUCK and not defective. Remove back cover and battery. Remove the 6 screws on the back of the phone and gently pry the housing off.

TAuAoEvvdCiuQtuj.medium

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Samsung+Galaxy+s+2+(T-mobile)(T989)+Phone/8179/1

After that, find the power button. Using a small flat head screwdriver gently push the button cover away from the mechanical button and try to press the mechanical button in to see if you can still feel it "click". After that, reassembled and test. Hope it works for you too.
    my boys phone did that... I just started to bang the power button with a eraser !! that did the trick
    I made this account just so I could give my 2 cents here. I was having random reboot problems with my sgs2 and it would vibrate on a black screen after rebooting etc. I took the back casing off by taking out screws and prying off plastic backing and just hit the power button with an air can while pressing the power button and voila, now my phone isnt having the issue anymore. Thought id have to replace the button but it seemed to be working fine so i thought id try the air can first. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the direction of it being the power button, wouldnt have guessed that myself.
    I posted a few months ago, but people only seem to read the first few or the last few posts. :)

Bottom line:
    Yes, your power switch is bad. No, squirting/taping/smacking/poking the switch will not fix it for long.
    (If dust/dirt has physically jammed it, cleaning may resolve the issue)

Several eBay sellers have this switch for under $10:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sgh-t989+s+ii+power+switch

I replaced mine myself, but you have to be very handy with a soldering iron. If you're not a soldering wiz, you can ship it in for repair:
    $45 (switch & service) "MobileTechVideos" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Button-Repair-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II--NOTE-MORE-/320910836052
    $40 (switch & service) "GeekSales" - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Swit...-SGH-T989-Samsung-Fix-Bad-Button/151826035753
    $30 (service only) "T989_refurb" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/GALAXY-SII-S2-SGH-T989-TMOBILE-REPAIR-SERVICE-/321080500292