[a700] Jelly Bean (4.1.1) OTA Update just arrived

Search This thread

Itchiee

Sep 30, 2007
Somewhere Else
Honestly, i'm not sure and if your not sure of what your doing you can run the risk of seriously messing up your tablet.
Mine is like that cause I have a custom install.... I created that Android folder since i'm flashing things all the time.

I'm guessing your fastboot.exe is located inside the C:\sdk folder....

so it would have been in command prompt:
cd c:\sdk
c:\sdk>fastboot oem unlock

My suggestion would be to do some research if you really want to proceed.

Reactions: bidniss

bidniss

Dec 15, 2010
Honestly, i'm not sure and if your not sure of what your doing you can run the risk of seriously messing up your tablet.
Mine is like that cause I have a custom install.... I created that Android folder since i'm flashing things all the time.

I'm guessing your fastboot.exe is located inside the C:\sdk folder....

so it would have been in command prompt:
cd c:\sdk
c:\sdk>fastboot oem unlock

My suggestion would be to do some research if you really want to proceed.
I now have an unlocked bootloader. I am assuming I can now try the fastboot flash recovery recovery-a700-update1.img step, but correct me if I am wrong please!

Itchiee

Sep 30, 2007
Somewhere Else
Yes, that would be the next step if you were to proceed.

Once CWM is flashed then boot into it (hold volume down + power, once it buzzes let go of power but hold volume down until it states booting)

bidniss

Dec 15, 2010
Yes, that would be the next step if you were to proceed.

Once CWM is flashed then boot into it (hold volume down + power, once it buzzes let go of power but hold volume down until it states booting)
Thanks....I am trying to flash the recovery, but THAT's not working and I have even tried doing it using the vol down + power procedure....Yet another issue to work thru...getting fed up with it!

Itchiee

Sep 30, 2007
Somewhere Else
Well make sure you understand how to do it, perhaps read some threads... This is the part that can really screw your tablet if done wrong.

For me I just renamed the recovery file recovery.img much easier to type.

That's why in my screenshot I have several versions of recovery. I rename to recovery.img when needed.

Last edited:

bidniss

Dec 15, 2010
Well make sure you understand how to do it, perhaps read some threads... This is the part that can really screw your tablet if done wrong.

For me I just renamed the recovery file recovery.img much easier to type.

That's why in my screenshot I have several versions of recovery. I rename to recovery.img when needed.
Thanks. I am getting a message "error:cannot load 'recovery.img'" I had the same error before renaming the recovery img file. I even re-downloaded the file in case it was corrupt. I am pretty sure I understand the steps as while I am not an expert, I am not totally new to this kind of thing :) - Thanks for your willingness to help!

Itchiee

Sep 30, 2007
Somewhere Else
No problem, i've been there....

Take a look at these threads, see the pattern, and figure out whats going wrong
(Quick pointer - make sure your not naming the file recovery.img.img, it needs to be typed exactly how its spelled)

I'll be eating my Jelly Beans waiting for you to join us....

Last edited:

bidniss

Dec 15, 2010
No problem, i've been there....

Take a look at these threads, see the pattern, and figure out whats going wrong
(Quick pointer - make sure your not naming the file recovery.img.img, it needs to be typed exactly how its spelled)

I'll be eating my Jelly Beans waiting for you to join us....
OK...Now you have done it! You have thrown down the gauntlet with your "eating my Jelly Beans waiting for you to join us" comment. I SUCCESSFULLY got the Recovery image flashed and am now in the process of getting 1.057 installed. When it's all done, I 'll tell you what I found that made the thign quirky! Until then....eat your Jelly Beans! LOL! :) (BTW...Thanks for all the help, I hope this does it!)

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

OK...Now you have done it! You have thrown down the gauntlet with your "eating my Jelly Beans waiting for you to join us" comment. I SUCCESSFULLY got the Recovery image flashed and am now in the process of getting 1.057 installed. When it's all done, I 'll tell you what I found that made the thign quirky! Until then....eat your Jelly Beans! LOL! :) (BTW...Thanks for all the help, I hope this does it!)
OK! Done deal! "Eating Jelly Beans!"- After flashing the Recovery and then the update for 1.057, before the tablet even finished booting, I got the notice for upgrade adn went for it. When finished, I had Jelly Bean!-

The culprit was the "recovery-a700-6014.img" was in reality named "recovery-a700-6014.img.img". I went into the Properties\Details in Windows and found what was going on. The file downloaded as "recovery-a700-6014.img.img". After renaming properly so it was now simply "recovery.img", I opend a Command Prompt window IN THE SAME FOLDER as my android platform-tools was located. The Recovery flashed properly and then I proceeded to install the 1.057 update. Apparently, it is true that being on 1.029 or less can cause the JB update to stall ro not come thru is valid. Once I did all the "right stuff", I was on a roll!-

BIG THANKS Itchiee for all your help and especially your patience and not beating me up about it :)
Have a blessed night!

Reactions: Itchiee

Jezzika

Oct 13, 2012
. Apparently, it is true that being on 1.029 or less can cause the JB update to stall ro not come thru is valid. Once I did all the "right stuff", I was on a roll!-

Sorry to chime in on this, As i don't have the first clue about all this rooting stuff, i just keep mine stock for fear of bricking xD But you say version 1.029 or less causes the jelly bean update to fail. Thats exactly what is happening to me

So just to clarify

My build number in "About tablet" is "Acer_AV043_A700_1.026.00_EMEA_GB" Is this "1.026" the number you're referring i can't get the latest ota update to install?

bidniss

Dec 15, 2010
Sorry to chime in on this, As i don't have the first clue about all this rooting stuff, i just keep mine stock for fear of bricking xD But you say version 1.029 or less causes the jelly bean update to fail. Thats exactly what is happening to me

So just to clarify

My build number in "About tablet" is "Acer_AV043_A700_1.026.00_EMEA_GB" Is this "1.026" the number you're referring i can't get the latest ota update to install?
I can't speak for the EMEA build, because mine is US and was 1.029. I'm sure someone else on this forum can jump in with an answer...

Jezzika

Oct 13, 2012
I can't speak for the EMEA build, because mine is US and was 1.029. I'm sure someone else on this forum can jump in with an answer...

Aw man this sucks.. As far as i can see know one in the UK has an update that works. Seems they messed up our deployment big time and knowing Acer they're never even gonna acknowledge it. I want my jelly beans :(

eman01

Feb 26, 2011
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
Congratulations!

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

OK! Done deal! "Eating Jelly Beans!"- After flashing the Recovery and then the update for 1.057, before the tablet even finished booting, I got the notice for upgrade adn went for it. When finished, I had Jelly Bean!-

The culprit was the "recovery-a700-6014.img" was in reality named "recovery-a700-6014.img.img". I went into the Properties\Details in Windows and found what was going on. The file downloaded as "recovery-a700-6014.img.img". After renaming properly so it was now simply "recovery.img", I opend a Command Prompt window IN THE SAME FOLDER as my android platform-tools was located. The Recovery flashed properly and then I proceeded to install the 1.057 update. Apparently, it is true that being on 1.029 or less can cause the JB update to stall ro not come thru is valid. Once I did all the "right stuff", I was on a roll!-

BIG THANKS Itchiee for all your help and especially your patience and not beating me up about it :)
Have a blessed night!

I am sorry I missed all the action since my initial post about 1.057 in the U.S. I had to work yesterday (Sunday) for 24 hours at the hospital and haven't got back on the forum until just now. So it is very clear that in the US, you must have to be updated to 1.057 to get the JB update. I thought it was very strange that it was saying my 1.029 was "up to date" when I checked for update. Why didn't it at least try to give me 1.057? Definitely something screwy there.

So if I had been on the forum I could have helped you a bit. The "hacked" 1.057 update available on this forum appears to be (as you found out) defective. I was also unable to use it originally or just recently to get JB. But when official OTA 1.057 came out I downloaded it but delayed installing it and temporarily re-rooted to save the ZIP file, so I have the non-hacked and very functional original 1.057 update file. It installs quickly and easily with stock recovery; no root, no CWM needed. I don't know how to post files here, but I could have emailed or maybe PM'ed it, or left it on public Dropbox. So sorry, but glad you are now JB'ed!!

CAZWICK

Jan 12, 2011
1.057 update file

I also have the 1.026 build and unable to update to jellybean.
Would you be able to upload the 1,057 file, I would appreciate it very much.
You also say no root or CWM is needed but installs easily with stock recovery.
Could you explain this please.
Many thanks.

Angus66

Sep 4, 2012
I am sorry I missed all the action since my initial post about 1.057 in the U.S. I had to work yesterday (Sunday) for 24 hours at the hospital and haven't got back on the forum until just now. So it is very clear that in the US, you must have to be updated to 1.057 to get the JB update. I thought it was very strange that it was saying my 1.029 was "up to date" when I checked for update. Why didn't it at least try to give me 1.057? Definitely something screwy there.

So if I had been on the forum I could have helped you a bit. The "hacked" 1.057 update available on this forum appears to be (as you found out) defective. I was also unable to use it originally or just recently to get JB. But when official OTA 1.057 came out I downloaded it but delayed installing it and temporarily re-rooted to save the ZIP file, so I have the non-hacked and very functional original 1.057 update file. It installs quickly and easily with stock recovery; no root, no CWM needed. I don't know how to post files here, but I could have emailed or maybe PM'ed it, or left it on public Dropbox. So sorry, but glad you are now JB'ed!!

My week-old A700 is on an even earlier version of ICS - 1.017 - and I could really use the working 1.057.

Anyone have a link to the (fixed/working) 1.057 update???

eman01

Feb 26, 2011
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
My week-old A700 is on an even earlier version of ICS - 1.017 - and I could really use the working 1.057.

Anyone have a link to the (fixed/working) 1.057 update???

I have, as stated above, the 1.057 original update ZIP file, as well as the 1.029 original update ZIP (was able to save both after downloading and before actually updating, as they disappear after the update is done when you do OTA update). Note that you MAY have to be updated to 1.029 in order to go to 1.057 (haven't tested this but likely to be the case).

I would need help from someone more experienced to upload the files to this forum- anyone care to help?
I have also placed the files in my Dropbox Public folder but I can't get links until I get off work today, as my workplace blocks Dropbox (don't know why). I will reply to this in the late evening with a link.

Once you have the update file:
1. Rename it to update.zip
2. Copy it to the main or root directory of BOTH your external AND internal SD card on the A700
(I have seen either one recommended individually, so I always put it in both to be sure)
3. Power off the A700 (completely off)
4. Press both the [Volume down] (2 dots) and the [Power] buttons at the same time, continuing to hold both.
5. When the tab vibrates. let go of [Power]. Continue to hold [Volume down].
6. When the Recovery boot message comes up in top left of screen, let go of [Volume down].
7. Should start the 1.057 update process automatically after this.
8. Follow any on screen instructions or prompts (I didn't get any)
9. May have to manually turn off/on (I didn't have to)
10. Tab will usually reboot and then go through a long file update process
11. Voila! 1.057 US A700 ready for Jelly Bean!

If you are at 1.017 you very probably (AGAIN) need to update to 1.029 and then 1.057 using the steps above in 2 entirely separate processes.
If doing the procedure twice, you will have to delete the first update.zip (1.029) on BOTH internal and external AD card and replace it with the 2nd(1.057) for the 2nd attempt.

This process is for unrooted U.S. Acer Iconia A700 tabs ONLY!!
Has not been tried on any other version and you do so at your own peril if you try!!!
The above does not (necessarily) involve rooting or Clockworkmod Recovery in any way (unless you are already rooted and have installed CWM).
It uses the built-in, or "stock" recovery.
If you're rooted the original 1.029 update won't work; there is a "fixed" 1.029 elsewhere on this forum to use if you are rooted.
I have used both of the update files successfully on my US A700 more than once.
I make no guarantee for your your results, even for a US tab, you do everything at your own risk, could get a brick, don't bring me down etc. etc.
I put in the above because everyone does, get over it! It should be just fine...

I'll be back with file link or to actually upload the files if possible.

Enjoy your JB!!

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

I also have the 1.026 build and unable to update to jellybean.
Would you be able to upload the 1,057 file, I would appreciate it very much.
You also say no root or CWM is needed but installs easily with stock recovery.
Could you explain this please.
Many thanks.

I am not aware of a US 1.026 build on the A700. I have no idea if this will work OR if it will brick your tablet if you have any other version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angus66

Angus66

Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for the assist eman01! :good:

I ended up not needing to go through those steps as the update(s) were just pushed to my tab OTA.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi friends!

Look here if you want to update your a700 manual (with update.zip)

http://www.android-hilfe.de/showthread.php?p=4175671

Instruction:
    1. Download update.zip
    2. Move it to root directory of the sdcard
    3. Reboot your a700 into recovery
    4. Choose apply/sdcard/update.zip. or something similar xD
    5. Let it install
    6. Welcome JB ;D

Info this is the German update.
    I dont know if this works with different firmware.

Sent from my Disarmed toasted EVO 3D GSM

Sent from my Disarmed toasted EVO 3D GSM
    I don’t understand how the update with acer works why here in Germany some got the update and some not?

So I got the OTA request times recorded with tcpdump.
    The request goes to: http://checkin.acer.futuredial.com...lfe Sent from my Disarmed toasted EVO 3D GSM
    Hello everyone!

I just got the Jelly Bean update on a german ACER a700

Build: ACER_AV051_A700_1.028.00_EMEA_DE
    Image: ACER_AV051_A700_RV09RC02_EMEA_DE

Have fun!

Mickey
    Have just pulled the update down my self, and the installation seemed to go well. The update has resulted in the following error: “Unfortunately, VirusScan Mobile has stopped.”, and with the options “Report” and “OK”. Regardless of pressing send or OK, the same pop-up appears half a second later. Power of and on have not help.

I don’t know what to do right now to get rid of the problem. The device is useless right now.

If you think about upgrading, I would think twice before jumping into the update. Might be better to wait until more success stories appears ;)

BR Steen

Ive had the same Problem.
    With a taskkiller i have killed the app temp. and then i have erase the Data from Virusmobile in the Setup->Apps.
    Until now no Popup.
    But i don't konw if the Virusmobile is still running.