FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

For those with 'partial' root after JB update - regain root!

162 posts
Thanks Meter: 61

By thenrz, Senior Member on 29th September 2012, 09:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th October 2012, 05:41 PM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenrz

Realistically, it is just a matter of installing SuperSU. I haven't seen anyone with that installed have any issue with retaining root. I will update the OP with this info!

As I noted here, Superuser may be ok, too, but it still needs confirmation. Also, Voodoo Rootkeeper backups should be refreshed. But this is simply collating a small number of stories, it would be nice if more people confirmed those setups work.

10th October 2012, 06:14 PM |#82  
OP Senior Member

More
Superuser itself is just fine. SuperSU's OTA protection is better if you buy the pro version. I have heard Voodoo has made the same updates to ensure better OTA protection, but I am going on what I have seen and know works... I re-made a Voodoo su backup before the JB update (as I always do) temp unrooted, and still was unable to restore root automatically.
10th October 2012, 06:20 PM |#83  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Unhappy
I cant regain root because it no longer is recognized by my pc. I have tried to everything and there is no way
10th October 2012, 06:24 PM |#84  
OP Senior Member

More
Have you tried a different PC? You can also boot live linux, install the sdk, and adb from there.
17th October 2012, 03:39 AM |#85  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Any update on that automated script?
The Following User Says Thank You to irishtexmex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift irishtexmex Ad-Free
18th October 2012, 04:51 AM |#86  
Flag Ypsi
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I was rooted using ViperMod. I took the JB OTA, thinking rootkeeper would work. Wound up with the partial root issue (some apps worked, i.e. Anti, Network Spoofer, Root Explorer, but root checker and the Linux Installer for Backtrack gave no root errors), so I tried the method in the OP.

I got through step 3. Step 4 gave me a permission denied error, so I used Root Explorer to turn on all permissions for /data/local/tmp. At that point, adb push claimed to have worked through step 6, but I noticed my Prime had frozen. Before I went any further, I decided to hard reboot (hold down power button), to be sure everything was running proper before I started in with shell commands.

Upon reboot, it now sticks at the initial splash screen. I can vol-down & get to the bootloader there, giving me the 4 standard options. Recovery gives me the dead-looking Andy with exclamation mark (I assume because I don't have a backup image, which yes, I know, was stupid not to have. Hindsight.). The OS option says it's starting from a cold boot, but freezes there and does nothing else. I can access fastboot, and at least the reboot command seems to work, but I haven't tried anything else, as I'm not familiar with fastboot, and have no idea where to go from there. I'm hoping against hope I don't have to use the wipe action, as I have a lot of time and data invested in the thing.

I'm also able to vol-up and have APX recognized on my Win7 machine, but I admittedly have no idea what to do with that.

If anyone could help me here, especially if it would include NOT wiping my Prime, I would be forever grateful. Thank you in advance for any advice.
19th October 2012, 06:50 AM |#87  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtexmex

Any update on that automated script?

I cant figure out the scripting to su through su backup to do anything interesting but id...

I do have two batch scripts that will give me the info i need to give you steps back to root (if possible). Will post later in morning.
19th October 2012, 02:57 PM |#88  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
anyone figured out the root cause yet
this happened to me too, but some apps still get root (ConnectBOT, TiBu) and others don't like busybox and, oddly, SuperUser (I can't update the SU binary automatically).

Anyone figured out a root cause.
23rd October 2012, 08:27 AM |#89  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I had a working root after JB update, but I lost it after factory reset. I still have /system/bin/su, /system/app/Superuser.apk and /system/xbin/busybox with correct permissions. I don't have a copy or link of busybox in /system/bin, though.

If I try to run su from a terminal directly on the Prime, it says "Permission denied". However, I can run su through adb and have # prompt. The version reported by su is 3.0.3.2.

Before I proceed with OP's method I have a few quesions:

1. I'm a bit worried about versions of files you have provided. They have all different sizes and dates than files on my Prime:
  • su my: = 22364, 2012/09/28, yours = 380532, 29/02/2008
  • busybox: my = 2005736, 2012/03/06, yours = 1085140, 9/08/2012
  • Superuser.apk: my = 843503, 6/03/2012, yours = 1468798, 29/02/2008
Where did you get these files from? Are they appropriated for my system? In particular, your su seems to be 4 years old, unless date was changed on purpose. On the other hand, your su, when executed with -v options reports version 3.1.1.

2. Just of curiosity, why do you use

Code:
dd if=/data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk of=/system/app/Superuser.apk
instead of simply

Code:
cp /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
and similarly:

Code:
busybox rm /system/bin/su
busybox cp /data/local/tmp/su /system/bin
instead of

Code:
cp /data/local/tmp/su /system/bin
I only guess that the last command is necessary because I'm running the su shell that needs replacing, is it correct?
23rd October 2012, 03:19 PM |#90  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Oh well, wasn't patient enough to wait for an answer and simply copied the OPs su into my /system/bin using busybox. I already had Superuser and busybox, so this was the only thing I did. I have my root back!

I noticed that a normal 'cp' does not preserve permissions, and I couldn't change permissions of the copy. It kept saying "bad mode". Weird behaviour... Busybox kept permissions.

I made a copy of my new su into a different directory under /system. This way I should be able to recover it after each update/factory reset.
23rd October 2012, 08:10 PM |#91  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
hmmmmmm very interesting. I had the exact same problem with the constant reboots and had to wipe. Thought I was SOL for my root for awhile.

Don't understand most of this process, but guess its a good time to learn!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
prime, restore root, root, tf201

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)