FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][May 5 2009][WWE] TouchFlo Detacher 1.0.1.1 FINAL - Another TF3D/Today switcher!

898 posts
Thanks Meter: 64

By thx1200, Inactive Recognized Developer on 8th February 2009, 08:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th February 2009, 09:32 PM |#11  
Retired Moderator
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Ran through the steps to set it up, on soft reset the device hangs at the startup HTC animation, Hard reset time , the manila im using has the following mods:
  • CFC Compression
  • Background 4 all tabs (mun rus)
  • Stocks tab
  • HD contacts

Will investigate further..

EDIT: Havent been able to replicate this issue after a hard reset, probably something else i installed.

Minor issue ive spotted though, set left softkey in TF3D to "Today" which hides TF3D....in the blank today screen i dont see the setting for the left softkey (Which is set to "TouchFlo 3D" and should show TF3D) i still see the softkey setting from when TF3D is visible. So the effect is i cant get back to TF3D after hiding it unless i literally run it from the start menu.

8th February 2009, 09:38 PM |#12  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Raleigh, North Carolina

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS

I will try this for sure!

TWO THINGS!

1) anybody knows a safe way to uninstall Manila Control?

2) I am a bit affraid of this "resident" thing... this program (TFD let's call it) uses one of the very scarce 32 processes? if YES sorry it's not for me (I am already dangerously close to the limit - up to the point that some sync processes don't have where to run)

WM 6.x and newer raised the process limit to 32768, so you should be fine. :)

EDIT: I was wrong! Don't believe me! :) Keep reading below. (The short of it: WM6 is based on CE 5.0, NOT CE 6.0, which is the version of CE that doesn't have the 32 process limit.)
8th February 2009, 09:41 PM |#13  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uracil

Sheesh, I should have checked the parameters before going to the work of assembling that debugging jpeg. For Manila2D, the two references to Manila.exe need to be changed to Manila2D.exe. I still don't have it working, but at least it only throws one error message now.

I don't have any more testing time today. Good luck with your app.

The exception you showed is the service not finding the EXE. There are two places you need to change it. The "EXE Only" config is just the name of the EXE (for finding it in the running process list). The "full path" is where the file is located in the file system (including the EXE name!). Did you change both?

Thanks for the info. I'm going to make that "file not found" error more friendly for beta2. Also, now that I know what I'm looking for, I can add a built-in way to switch from Manila3D to Manila2D.
8th February 2009, 09:53 PM |#14  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvanx

Ran through the steps to set it up, on soft reset the device hangs at the startup HTC animation, Hard reset time , the manila im using has the following mods:

• CFC Compression
  • Background 4 all tabs (mun rus)
  • Stocks tab
  • HD contacts

Will investigate further..

Does it get to the Today screen at all? The service is in the Startup folder. All it does is try to Launch manila.exe at startup (you can actually even disable that if you want to in the config), so it would be really weird if that froze the device. Not saying it's not possible, just really really weird!
8th February 2009, 09:54 PM |#15  
Retired Moderator
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1200

Does it get to the Today screen at all? The service is in the Startup folder. All it does is try to Launch manila.exe at startup (you can actually even disable that if you want to in the config), so it would be really weird if that froze the device. Not saying it's not possible, just really really weird!

See my edit above
8th February 2009, 10:01 PM |#16  
Flag Piraeus
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1200

WM 6.x and newer raised the process limit to 32768, so you should be fine. :)

No man you are wrong (100%).
In *my* WM6.1 at least, the limit is 32. Well in fact all WM6.1.
Only new WinCE (not the builds used in WM6.X) have lifted this limit.
WM7 is supposed to not have this limit (because uses different WinCE) and a very small possibility (like 5%) that WM6.5 will have this limit lifted.

With the help of Daniel Herrero (the guy that makes CommManagerPro) we even built a simple app that we run as much as we could, to test this.

Sure enough my device after 4-5 runs started killing other apps. After 1-2 more runs, I got a pop-up that said that I cannot run more apps because I reached the process limit. My device is a loaded Touch Pro.

His much lighter X1, sure enough came to the same result, but only after more runs, about 10 or something (since he had more process "slots" free).

So you probably have to (and please do) rethink your strategy (for example use a REAL service or handle things based on triggers) as processes ARE a scarce commodity in WM.
At least add a mode or something that doesn't use a process all the time (even with some extra delay). I will certainly NOT eat more of my processes.
8th February 2009, 11:17 PM |#17  
Flag Honeoye Falls, NY
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I installed this on my Touch HD... ran config but chaned nothing, disabled TF3d and soft reset... now don't know what to do... seem to be missing a step... for example how to toggle between Today and TF3d... running hide and close tf3d in the utilities folderdoes nothing
9th February 2009, 01:13 AM |#18  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS

No man you are wrong (100%).
In *my* WM6.1 at least, the limit is 32. Well in fact all WM6.1.
Only new WinCE (not the builds used in WM6.X) have lifted this limit.
WM7 is supposed to not have this limit (because uses different WinCE) and a very small possibility (like 5%) that WM6.5 will have this limit lifted.

With the help of Daniel Herrero (the guy that makes CommManagerPro) we even built a simple app that we run as much as we could, to test this.

Sure enough my device after 4-5 runs started killing other apps. After 1-2 more runs, I got a pop-up that said that I cannot run more apps because I reached the process limit. My device is a loaded Touch Pro.

His much lighter X1, sure enough came to the same result, but only after more runs, about 10 or something (since he had more process "slots" free).

So you probably have to (and please do) rethink your strategy (for example use a REAL service or handle things based on triggers) as processes ARE a scarce commodity in WM.
At least add a mode or something that doesn't use a process all the time (even with some extra delay). I will certainly NOT eat more of my processes.

You are right. I was going on what I read on another website from a while back. I just did some research and, sure enough, WM6 is based on CE 5, which has the 32 process, 32MB limit still in place.

The strategy I am using will not change as there is no way (that I know of) to write a service DLL in the Compact Framework, but if somebody knows of a way, I will certainly look into it.

EDIT: I did a check and I'm only running 24 processes with my media app, Total Commander, TFD, 3 other "service" apps (dont forget, PocketShield, VistaHide Battery Bar). That leaves me with 6 more apps until WM6 gets nervous (it seems to close after going above 30). How are you so close? I'm not judging your mobile computing habits, I'm just curious! Also, I'm thinking of rolling the "service" code into stand alone EXEs for cases like yours, but it will be very slow switching back and forth. I tested that at first before deciding on the memory resident app and it took about 5 seconds to switch each time. But maybe you'll have better luck! :)
9th February 2009, 01:19 AM |#19  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeery

I installed this on my Touch HD... ran config but chaned nothing, disabled TF3d and soft reset... now don't know what to do... seem to be missing a step... for example how to toggle between Today and TF3d... running hide and close tf3d in the utilities folderdoes nothing

It's possble the HD may have a slightly different Manila configuration than the Diamond/Pro. If you find the manila.exe and can scan the window classes and titles (such as with FDCsoft's Task manager) that will give you the info you need to configure it for the HD. If you figure it out, post it here so I can add it to the config app.
9th February 2009, 01:21 AM |#20  

More
Quote:

EDIT: Havent been able to replicate this issue after a hard reset, probably something else i installed.

GOOD! Whew!

Quote:

Minor issue ive spotted though, set left softkey in TF3D to "Today" which hides TF3D....in the blank today screen i dont see the setting for the left softkey (Which is set to "TouchFlo 3D" and should show TF3D) i still see the softkey setting from when TF3D is visible. So the effect is i cant get back to TF3D after hiding it unless i literally run it from the start menu.

Let me see if I am understanding you. The left soft key on the "real" Today screen says "TouchFlo" but it isn't launching TouchFlo? If you go into the configuration and set the Today left soft key using my quick drop down (Show TouchFlo 3D) this doesn't fix the issue? If so, can you post what the app path is that it is showing?
9th February 2009, 03:45 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
This app works great on my touch pro. Thanks!!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
detach, manila, switch, today, touchflo

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)