[REF] - Confirmed Devices for unlocking WP7 encrypted SD Cards

Search This thread

cailiting

Apr 7, 2008
confirmed working with Sony Digital Camera (WX5 and TX10)

I put the card into both SONY Point and Shot Cameras (WX5 and TX10), both camera were able to reformat the card....

teacher006

May 13, 2012
Miami
T-mobile Nokia 5230 works

I have a T-mobile Nokia 5230 and it will format and unlock the sd cards also. I have only tried up to 8GB so far. Not sure how many GBs it can do.

Theelichtje

Mar 21, 2011
Veghel
Im using the C5, when i insert my Sandisk 32gb, it asks for a password, but i cant seem to find a format sd card option, because it doesn't have a tools menu.

I have tried to install a few file browsers, but that also didnt work.

As said earlier in this thread, inserting and pulling out the card a couple of times didnt work.

Any help appreciated.

hellrokr

Jul 30, 2012
A.F.K.
Confirmed working...
Nokia C2-01..

tried it right now....

even though it does not support a 16gb card but after formatting when you put it back in PC, it works !!!

rbrajesh

Feb 19, 2008
Following NOT working - asks for password, doesn't allow to format without the password:
Nokia 2730 Classic
Nokia Asha 305

Working:
Nokia S60

florin_stann

Nov 29, 2010
Boys and girls, someone already mentioned, but i don't know how many of you understood.You don't need any phone to format your wp7 cards.You just need to go back to magldr, services, clear sd mbr and then just put your card in any pc and it will ask you to format it straight away. Confirmed working with a few laptops and pcs

rlydiard

Sep 29, 2006
Taipei
www.kaimincom.com
Boys and girls, someone already mentioned, but i don't know how many of you understood.You don't need any phone to format your wp7 cards.You just need to go back to magldr, services, clear sd mbr and then just put your card in any pc and it will ask you to format it straight away. Confirmed working with a few laptops and pcs

Your information is correct only if the ROM installed does not use Microsoft's SD encryption, which locks the SD card. An example of a ROM that does lock the SD card is Yuki's ROM. The method you mentioned will not work with an SD card formatted with Yuki's ROM. I think most people understand this.

florin_stann

Nov 29, 2010
Your information is correct only if the ROM installed does not use Microsoft's SD encryption, which locks the SD card. An example of a ROM that does lock the SD card is Yuki's ROM. The method you mentioned will not work with an SD card formatted with Yuki's ROM. I think most people understand this.
Believe me, even when i was using Yuki's 2.1 version, i would format it on the computer without any issues, cause the computer would recognise the card, but would always promt to format it for windows to read it. Windows 7 corporate edition
Also, with all due respect to Yuki and Xboxmod, i don't think too many people uses wp7 8100 ready, i think people go for pdaimatejam or ansar, which makes the card formatting even easier

rlydiard

Sep 29, 2006
Taipei
www.kaimincom.com
Believe me, even when i was using Yuki's 2.1 version, i would format it on the computer without any issues, cause the computer would recognise the card, but would always promt to format it for windows to read it. Windows 7 corporate edition
Also, with all due respect to Yuki and Xboxmod, i don't think too many people uses wp7 8100 ready, i think people go for pdaimatejam or ansar, which makes the card formatting even easier

Perhaps it did work for you for some strange reason, but for the majority of people using Yuki's original ROM it does not work, hence this thread exists. If your method worked for everyone there would be no reason for Cotulla to include a utility in the yet to be released new version of MAGLDR that will unlock encrypted cards so that they can be formatted.

Whatdoyaknow

Jun 25, 2010
GoldenSandsUtopia

I don't often comment, but in the interest of others following this thread I will make a comment.

I do not believe this is correct. If you check Yuki and Xboxmod's tread you'll see I was one of the first to install Yuki and Xboxmod's rom. It took me (and others) many hours initially to achieve the first working versions, but everyone has benefited from our efforts as early adopters - our many PM's and posts that finally got things sorted and working.

Now given that experience from the very beginning, I have never heard of any Yuki and Xboxmod Rom install that did not lock the card - given the many hundreds of thousands of views and posts, I'd say it is impossible. Believe me, we tried every trick in the book, I fired up old O/S systems from the 1980's just to see if they would work. I tried so many versions of Win from work and home. Also cameras and any available device. So if this is correct, why have we been spending all this time and why does this thread exist.

A fully LOCKED and Win O/S UNRECOGNIZED SDCards cannot be unlocked other than through the devices on the first page of this thread.

However one could unclock the SDCard on Yuki and Xboxmod Rom by applying DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab. This cab did unlock the card, then you could run DEV_EXTRAPART_4G.CAB (as I recall this was the first) to set it up for Android dual boot.

So I'd say in this case the DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab had been applied.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: florin_stann

florin_stann

Nov 29, 2010
I don't often comment, but in the interest of others following this thread I will make a comment.

I do not believe this is correct. If you check Yuki and Xboxmod's tread you'll see I was one of the first to install Yuki and Xboxmod's rom. It took me (and others) many hours initially to achieve the first working versions, but everyone has benefited from our efforts as early adopters - our many PM's and posts that finally got things sorted and working.

Now given that experience from the very beginning, I have never heard of any Yuki and Xboxmod Rom install that did not lock the card - given the many hundreds of thousands of views and posts, I'd say it is impossible. Believe me, we tried every trick in the book, I fired up old O/S systems from the 1980's just to see if they would work. I tried so many versions of Win from work and home. Also cameras and any available device. So if this is correct, why have we been spending all this time and why does this thread exist.

A fully LOCKED and Win O/S UNRECOGNIZED SDCards cannot be unlocked other than through the devices on the first page of this thread.

However one could unclock the SDCard on Yuki and Xboxmod Rom by applying DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab. This cab did unlock the card, then you could run DEV_EXTRAPART_4G.CAB (as I recall this was the first) to set it up for Android dual boot.

So I'd say in this case the DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab had been applied.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

There is also a consistent misunderstanding in this thread, that between the three possibilities:

1. fully LOCKED and Win O/S UNRECOGNIZED SDCards - happens when you have a problem with the WP7 install (only a Nokia device will unlock)

vs

2. A Rom locked SDcard, such as locked by Yuki and Xboxmod's rom (needs DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab or Nokia device to unlock)

vs

3. Win O/S RECOGNIZED but unreadable SDCards (with the standard 200 partition of the newer WP7 roms).

This was at the time a terrific advancement in WP7 rom development and moved us on from the locked and unreadable SDCards.

Mind you, Yuki and Xboxmod's DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab and DEV_EXTRAPART_??.CAB were also terrific at the time.

Anyway, this thread is all about "1. fully LOCKED and Win O/S UNRECOGNIZED SDCards" , not 2 or 3. Happend to me a few times now over the years and is a real pain.
Mind you the newer Roms don't seem to be as problematic with SDCard locked and unrecognizable.

Cheers
Hi,
Can confirm i was using the sd unlocking cab, as i was dual booting with android.This must be it, then.
No intention of disrespect for any of the works you guys ( read gods ) did, cause without you i wouldn't have beneffited of the results, i just wasn't looking that deep into the problem when replying. Reading your answer, makes me realize what it actually was that made my computer and a few others recognise the card, however in that limit of how big the partition for the android was.
Thanks for clearing that to me and to anyone that didn't realise that, too. Ths is why we have leaders and followers :))

Reactions: Whatdoyaknow

Whatdoyaknow

Jun 25, 2010
GoldenSandsUtopia
Hi,
Can confirm i was using the sd unlocking cab, as i was dual booting with android.This must be it, then.
No intention of disrespect for any of the works you guys ( read gods ) did, cause without you i wouldn't have beneffited of the results, i just wasn't looking that deep into the problem when replying. Reading your answer, makes me realize what it actually was that made my computer and a few others recognise the card, however in that limit of how big the partition for the android was.
Thanks for clearing that to me and to anyone that didn't realise that, too. Ths is why we have leaders and followers :))

Good luck! Wish you every success

-

Last edited:
Reactions: rlydiard

Whatdoyaknow

Jun 25, 2010
GoldenSandsUtopia
fully LOCKED and Win O/S UNRECOGNIZED SDCards

There is also a consistent misunderstanding in this thread, that between the three possibilities:

1. fully LOCKED and Win O/S UNRECOGNIZED SDCards - happens when you have a problem with the WP7 install (only a Nokia device will unlock)

vs

2. A Rom locked SDcard, such as locked by Yuki and Xboxmod's rom (needs DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab or Nokia device to unlock)

vs

3. Win O/S RECOGNIZED but unreadable SDCards (with the standard 200 partition of the newer WP7 roms).

This was at the time a terrific advancement in WP7 rom development and moved us on from the locked and unreadable SDCards.

Mind you, Yuki and Xboxmod's DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab and DEV_EXTRAPART_??.CAB were also terrific at the time.

Anyway, this thread is all about "1. fully LOCKED and Win O/S UNRECOGNIZED SDCards" , not 2 or 3. Happend to me a few times now over the years and is a real pain.
Mind you the newer Roms don't seem to be as problematic with SDCard locked and unrecognizable.

Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We all know Nokia phones can format WP7-encrypted/locked SD cards, but what else?! I've heard some camera's work too, but haven't seen any specific models. I went around my house and plugged my card into every device I could find with an SD card. Here's my list... please add your findings in the comments and I'll update the main list.

Confirmed Working:

Kodak EASYSHARE Z1485
    Nokia 5530
    Nokia 5800, 5700 XpressMusic!
    Nokia C5-00
    Nokia C7
    Nokia E65 (4gb max)
    Nokia E66
    Nokia E71
    Nokia N8
    Nokia N79
    Nokia N96
    Nokia N97
    Nokia Supernova
    Sony Ericsson Vivaz
    Sony PSP 2000 series using a microSD-to-ms Pro Duo Adapter

*** Alternative Solutions (No special device needed) ***
    WP7 CAB-Sender SOLUTION POSTED BY XBOXMOD
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17288471&postcount=2650
    Install the cab with the cab sender, but do not let the device reboot to WP7 or it will relock the SD card!​

Killdisk in Linux - as posted by Perlian
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1280293

Conflicting Reports:
    HD2 running WM6.5 (Did not work for me)
    Linux Ubuntu PCs

Confirmed NOT Working:
    Windows PCs
    HP Printers (I tried 2 and am assuming none work, please correct if I'm wrong)
    Canon IXUS 800IS
    Nikon Coolpix S6 Camera
    Nikon D50
    Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 Camera
    Olympus vr 120
    Panasonic SDR-S26 Camcorder
    Android Phones (Again, I'm assuming all, but correct me if I'm wrong)
    Nintendo DS & 3DS
    Nintendo Wii
    Samsung RFG299 Refrigerator (Yes, I even tried my touch-screen fridge! :p)
    Nokia 5230
    Nokia 6700
    Nokia E63
    Nokia p5100
    Nokia p6100
    Nokia X3
    Oregon Scientific ATC5KG
    Acronis Disk Director
    Partition Magic
    We all know Nokia phones can format WP7-encrypted/locked SD cards, but what else?! I've heard some camera's work too, but haven't seen any specific models. I went around my house and plugged my card into every device I could find with an SD card. Here's my list... please add your findings in the comments and I'll update the main list.

Confirmed Working:
    Nokia N97
    Nokia E71
    Nokia N8
    Nokia 5800 Xpress Music!
    Nokia 5530
    Nokia ??? (I know there are more. Not sure which models though)
    Sony Ericsson Vivaz

Conflicting Reports:
    HD2 running WM6.5 (Did not work for me)
    Linux Ubuntu PCs

Confirmed NOT Working:
    Windows 7 PCs
    HP Printers (I tried 2 and am assuming none work, please correct if I'm wrong)
    Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 Camera
    Nikon Coolpix S6 Camera
    Panasonic SDR-S26 Camcorder
    Android Phones (Again, I'm assuming all, but correct me if I'm wrong)
    Nintendo DS
    Nintendo Wii
    Samsung RFG299 Refrigerator (Yes, I even tried my touch-screen fridge! :p)

Works with Nokia E 63 (Almost all Nokia E series)
    Doesn't work via Ubuntu for sure tried on 2 different systems

PS: - My SD card was locked with the Mango Update

EDIT: - When formatting using Nokia it will ask for password, well password is not necessary, please read this

http://lifeinthefastlaneok.wordpress.com/2010/11/20/microsd-card-use-with-windows-phone-7-device/
    Unfortunately, I do not have a Nokia or know anyone that has one. I did go to best buy today and used a variety of their Cameras to try and format it, no luck. I guess, unless I use a Nokia I am screwed.
    I tried Killdisk, no dice.
    I am about to try my XBox 360 and see what happens.
    I have tried everything.

I have been unable to unlock my SD-cards for a long time too, what worked for me, was to:

1. Flash WP7 without an SD-card
    2. Send DeviceProvisioning.cab with the Cab Sender
    3. Update to version 7392, still without an SD-card
    4. Send DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab with the Cab Sender
    5. Hard reset your device, insert SD-card when the device reboots
    6. If the SD-card has been detected it is now possible to unlock it.

This worked for all my cards.

Hope this helped
    You could try http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1283232 and be a test-pilot. Report back here for de-breifing.:)

doesnt work D:
    Nokia 5800 Xpress Music did the trick!!

I hope it will work on other Nokia devices as well....

I unlocked 2 locked cards (SanDisk 16GB & 4GB) that asked for password..

* Insert the card...
    * It will ask for Memory card password...cancel it.
    * Go to the File Manager
    * Choose memory card options
    * Choose Format
    * You are done!!!

If it works for you, press "THANKS" button below the post!!

Thanks, Ari