Raphael - USB Host?

Search This thread

irus

Jun 29, 2007
You are right, of course, but the diamond and the TP are not that different... I just hope hardware wise everything is in place, and I believe we should start with that assumption; the manual is pretty clear about this. If they were only supporting flashing from external sd-card reader, they would have just said so. At least that's what "usb 2.0 host suport thru dongle" means to me... Then again maybe the "dongle" is something special, more than just rearranged pins and externally supplied power...

i agree with you but i bought a mini usb y cable and tried it out but it did not work. I realize that it could just be me but i can confirm that power was getting to the usb drive so not sure why it did not work for me :confused:

inq44

Dec 10, 2008
This is the official response I got from HTC, after asking about usb host capabilities on the TP:

"The Touch Pro does not support USB host mode. There might be some third party applications that activates that functionality, however HTC is not supporting it nor does HTC stand responsible for any use of third party applications."

This is really interesting; I was expecting more of an "USB host not supported. Period." Instead they hint that "third party applications" could solve the problem; this seems to confirm what I suspected: that the device is most likely only missing the proper driver. Again, since the class drivers (mass storage, HID, etc.) seem to be present (some drivers I installed myself, just to be sure) it's most likely that the low-level host controller driver is missing. Exactly which driver that is (chipset wise) I can't tell, and with this kind of devices it usually isn't free/publicly availablea and, from what I read, notoriously difficult to reverse engineer... :( I just hope I'm wrong and this can be fixed by building the correct cable...

inq44

Dec 10, 2008
I hope the G1/Android people will have more luck with this... They practically share the hardware and have the advantage of actually having kernel source code to look at; if they succeed in writing a driver, it will probably be possible to port it over to WM. Here are two links worth looking at which I believe relevant to this discussion:

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=G1_USB_Host
and
http://www.telesphoreo.org/pipermail/g1-hackers/2009-January/000282.html

While these help sorting out the hardware debate, they don't (yet) provide any solutions...

z_qz54

Sep 30, 2008
hi all
i think we need 5 voltage power supply for support.
because when i run usb host driver,i can check 1v voltage in raphael usb port
and in the htc diamond manual usb picture,you can see a power wire...
every body can help for schematic usb host cable for htc raphael? in our country we can't buy this cable from shopping sites...!
sorry for bad english...

sajrohan

Mar 19, 2008
alright from the looks of things the only thing we're missing is a driver. i wish i had of learned about usb drivers a long time ago so i wouldn't be starting from scratch here but i'm sure somebody else knows more about usb host drivers than i do. i know writing device drivers are not easy... but CAN be done. a few people who know about drivers (on a programming level) and a few programmers need to get together and make one i'm sure it can be made in a fairly short amount of time.

hell i'd be willing to buy the driver... i'm sure quite a few other people would assuming it was functional without many bugs and a cable maybe sold aswell. the capabilities to plug a phone into any usb device and use it's capabilities can be quite powerful... for example DVR receivers u can plug into ur computer and copy videos off... could be done with ur phone.

somebody that knows something about programming drivers please contact me at

sajrohan at gmail dot com

inq44

Dec 10, 2008
Yeah, I'd be willing to pay for a driver as well, but I think the main hurdle here is the missing hardware documentation; it that was available, then I'm sure both the Android people and the devs here would give it a shot. :( I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to buy a license/whatever from Qualcomm for it...

tyguy

Feb 11, 2008
SoCal
AFAIK the problems are:
HTC and other phone devices are in general USB slaves, not masters by default.
The drivers / software from the ppcxyz link above will allow you to make any HTC Qualcom based phone to USB master and you may attach any slave device as long as it is powered externally (not through the phone).
All credits go to the original developer!

Attachments

• Zeno_USB_Host_Drivers_v4.0.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:

fotoingo

Jun 22, 2007
AFAIK the problems are:
HTC and other phone devices are in general USB slaves, not masters by default.
The drivers / software from the ppcxyz link above will allow you to make any HTC Qualcom based phone to USB master and you may attach any slave device as long as it is powered externally (not through the phone).
All credits go to the original developer!

The question is....

Have YOU tested it ?

All I can see are some drivers which were programmed and tested on a device WITH USB-Host function...

From the OG Thread ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=480899 ) :

"All features tested on Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox 560N running WM6.1 with Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 6."

So... ?

tyguy

Feb 11, 2008
SoCal
4-1 USB card reader confirmed to work
TMZ receiver confirmed to work (by a co-worker).

Kostas-Pro

Oct 12, 2008
Athens
Anyone else tried it on their Touch Pro or Fuze?
I installed it but I don't have adapter from mini usb to usb, I will buy one and report the results! After installation it gives me a message new_usbmouse and 7 empty boxes inside and an okay button. What gives that? Is it assuming I connected a usb mouse on my Touch Pro?
I installes all the drivers not on phone memory but on the minisd card.

valky

Aug 8, 2008
My report: I tried this...

...on my TP with:

1. Maxtor EHD (powered) - didn't work, no response to connection, at all.

2. Logitech mouse (non-powered) - didn't work, no response to connection, at all.

3. Flash drives (non-powered Dell, SanDisk, Sony, Integral) - didn't work, no response to connection, at all.

fotoingo

Jun 22, 2007
Despite the fact that I dont believe in this drivers I tested a harddrive WITH power, a usbstick without, a mouse without and a hub WITH power.
None worked. Neither with this drivers or the ones from Teksoft.

I vote for a hoax !

valky

Aug 8, 2008
Despite the fact that I dont believe in this drivers I tested a harddrive WITH power, a usbstick without, a mouse without and a hub WITH power.
None worked. Neither with this drivers or the ones from Teksoft.

I vote for a hoax !

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "hoax." The issuer/developer made no promises, and did only say this on the source forum [I don't know whether I am permitted to name the link:confused:]:

"All features tested on Fujitsu Siemens Loox 560N running WM6.1 with 16 GB SDHC.
Used with OEM USB keyboard, OEM external HDD, Kingston 8 GB memmory-flash, OEM card-reader and various SD, SDHC cards, Microsoft various USB Mouses, Jura F9 automatic-coffee-machine serial port controller, Canon Powershot G3, Canon PowerShot S3 IS.

[...] I already wrote on which devices I tested. It's up to you, different users, to test my program and eventually all in common to make a "supported" list. It is impossible for me to test on devices i do not have."

nilly

Feb 4, 2007
Who should i point my gun at?

I really hope this is real, otherwise the disappointment is huge.

The fact that monk added it to his latest rom, is keeping the finger from the trigger.
monk usually knows his ways around the TP.

I only mean this posting here is a hoax (in the Raphael forum) not the drivers (and with them the OG author) in general !!!

;)

Last edited: