53 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By mystica555, Member on 13th February 2009, 12:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th February 2009, 03:57 AM |#31  
Flag Arlington, TX
Thanks Meter: 5

More
The HTC Dream service manual that's posted in this forum says "RAM: 192 MB DDR (include 64MB baseband chip [guessing this is for radio])". Does the ARM CPU have onboard cache?

Anyways, yeah - HTC should have put another 64mb of RAM in our phones (not to mention twice the Flash memory) I'm guessing either tiny DDR memory is expensive and/or they used the minimum to keep power consumption down.

BTW, does anyone know how much RAM iPhones have? Is their storage just flash memory like ours?

16th February 2009, 10:17 AM |#32  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Ventspils
Thanks Meter: 48

Donate to Me
More
Swapper
I wrote simple application for easy enabling/disabling swap. Have using it and in my opinion the only thing that slows down is switching between programs. But overal "close rate" is dropped down to usable level (intensive browsing doesn't close other nessesary programs for example).
Iy you want to test it, here it is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=483110
16th February 2009, 11:04 AM |#33  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hint:
Tuning Swappiness
Quote:

Fortunately a run-time tunable is available through the proc interface for anyone needing to adapt kernel behavior to their own requirements. To tune, simply echo a value from 0 to 100 onto /proc/sys/vm/swappiness. The higher a number set here, the more the system will swap.

Currently it is
Code:
# cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
16th February 2009, 03:53 PM |#34  

More
Bump.
I shrinked the swap down to 32MB and set the swappiness to 20
Code:
echo 20 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
This seems to have really big effect. Previously, with 128MB swap and swappiness at 60 after some use of several memory hungry apps (Browser and AndNav2) the system tended to heavily use the SLOW swap, which resulted in heavily degraded performance. It took ages for the Browser to flip orientation, scrolling pages or songs in the music player wasn't smooth at all.

Now, wtih 32MB swap and swappines @ 20 the system is much more responsive. I have been testing it for 30-60 minutes, and the performance hasn't degraded at all. Browsing and scrolling is smooth, Home opens almost instantly, apps switch immediately or with 0.5 sec delay at most.

32MB swap seems to be just enough for normal use. Browse, AndNav2, Music, Pictures, SnapPhoto, Watts, PowerManager.
According to "free" it is using 97MB of RAM and 27 of swap.
16th February 2009, 04:39 PM |#35  
Flag Galicia
Thanks Meter: 65

More
again:

Swap in embedded systems, is the worst thing one can do. Worst yet in a mobile device.

Swap should be done only in a very very spetial situations, imagine you have 100 MB ram and need 150 to run a program. And 100 Mb are already used. Swap means moving 50MB from memory to disk to be able to load the prog. Since almost all of the apps running in the mobile needs instant response or are critical. You CANT LET THEM SWAP TO DISK.

What you will do to execute a program bigger than your installed memory, swap "contacts" to disk? swap "system graphics backgroud, icons" to disk ?
or swap radio firmware to disk? swap lan driver to disk? The fact is that you never know what the system is going to swap to disk, but if the system have swap, you can be sure it will use it even if it doont need it. It will start to swap important things to disk when you load any app.

This is not a laptop or a computer that when u need memory, the system swaps "non critical programs / loaded but sleeping background programs" like "printer manager" "internet browser" "nero quickstart" "acroread quick start" or any other **** you may have haging around in your systry.

and dont tell swaping under linux is better, because i have both systems for years and swap always sucked, i am always seeing things moving to swap even when i have almost 2 gigs free of memory. Even if i had 99 GIGS of ram, i would see programs swaping to disk and slowing down.
16th February 2009, 05:21 PM |#36  

More
You didn't really read the link in Kernel Trap about swappiness. Did you?
You have no idea of the organisation of swap in the linux kernel. Do you?
Swap a driver. Really?
Have you noticed that in normal circumstances you can not have less than 65-70MB of RAM used on the phone. Some things are meant to stay in RAM and they do.
16th February 2009, 06:59 PM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoridinBG

Hint:
Tuning Swappiness

Currently it is

Code:
# cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

The comments in that article are hilarious...the author responds by restated by already one-sided opinion instead of offering a real answer to legitimate questions and that you should SWAP...no matter what...which is a horrible joke....especially if you do any RAM intensive work on a machine.

More RAM>SWAP

Swap is never good period...more RAM is the solution..SWAP is a bandaid. Now I know alot of Distros are optimized to run on legacy hardware but if you wan't real performance you want to never swap..bottom line. It's like trying to tune up a HONDA CIVIC...I'm sure you guys have seen those funny looking kids with the buzz cans and cool cold air intakes driving around hoping that they can turn there slow underpowered car into something fast...SWAP is the equivelant in the computing world.
16th February 2009, 09:15 PM |#38  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercrowd

The comments in that article are hilarious...the author responds by restated by already one-sided opinion instead of offering a real answer to legitimate questions and that you should SWAP...no matter what...which is a horrible joke....especially if you do any RAM intensive work on a machine.

More RAM>SWAP

Swap is never good period...more RAM is the solution..SWAP is a bandaid. Now I know alot of Distros are optimized to run on legacy hardware but if you wan't real performance you want to never swap..bottom line. It's like trying to tune up a HONDA CIVIC...I'm sure you guys have seen those funny looking kids with the buzz cans and cool cold air intakes driving around hoping that they can turn there slow underpowered car into something fast...SWAP is the equivelant in the computing world.

I agree, more RAM is better then SWAP and always has been. Problem is its not like we can exactly go to NewEgg and order additional RAM for our G1s. Also last I checked we don't exactly have a G2 floating around the corner so SWAP is the current "bandaid" solution some folks need. Thankfully I haven't had a need for this yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsk

Has anybody tried compcache yet? Its compressed swap and it is ideal for this device, if it can be made to run.

http://code.google.com/p/compcache/

Looking at this is rather interesting, but is ultimately a really old method of RAM expansion. This sounds a lot like the Hurricane and MagnaRAM back in the mid 90's for Win9x machines which I have used back then because RAM was expensive then. It worked well for what it was. Didn't speed anything up, but made multi-tasking easier.
16th February 2009, 11:25 PM |#39  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercrowd

It's like trying to tune up a HONDA CIVIC...I'm sure you guys have seen those funny looking kids with the buzz cans and cool cold air intakes driving around hoping that they can turn there slow underpowered car into something fast...SWAP is the equivelant in the computing world.

A "riced" out G1.... haha, sorry had to say it
17th February 2009, 08:02 PM |#40  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I've been running it for a couple of days now and still haven't encountered any problems with performance. The issue that is bothering me now and I didn't foresee is that the SD Card cannot be mounted anymore while doing this. Since I don't know much about this and just following suggestions from this thread, does it make sense to try to swap with the ext2 partition of my SD Card? I'm going to try it out either way but figured you guys might have an idea.
17th February 2009, 08:41 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlur

I've been running it for a couple of days now and still haven't encountered any problems with performance. The issue that is bothering me now and I didn't foresee is that the SD Card cannot be mounted anymore while doing this. Since I don't know much about this and just following suggestions from this thread, does it make sense to try to swap with the ext2 partition of my SD Card? I'm going to try it out either way but figured you guys might have an idea.

Edit: It looks like this was already discussed earlier in the thread and the answer is yes, it work well with the ext2 partition. Now if someone could explain how to make the changes permanent, that would be great.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)