[APP][2.1+] FTP Server Ultimate - FTP, SFTP, FTPS server with multi-user, no-root

Search This thread

deaver_92

Mar 21, 2011
Mountlake Terrace
Ah, it sounds like you forget using the port number. For example, you have an FTP server running on port 2121 with internal IP 192.168.1.54 and enabled port forwarding on your router to forward outside port 2121 to inside IP 192.168.1.54 and port 2121. Now you can access the FTP server using your public IP, for example 123.123.123.123
However, you need to specify the port number when using the IP. If you use a browser, type: ftp://123.123.123.123:2121/ That should work.
Let me know!

Yup that was the culprit. Thank you!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

kurokirasama

Jun 19, 2012
Could you send me the steps you took? So what client are you using and what command did you send that produced an error?

Hi:

I am using scp for windows (open ssh) "scp -P serverport file user@serverip:directory/file". But, I already solve the copiying problem, i had put wrong some options of the scp command.

However, while doing this, the server did stop sometimes and even the app closed itself. Even once my external sdcard was unmounted (?).

I will keep testing and let you know if i find out more.

BR

Themuzz

Nov 24, 2007
Hi:

I am using scp for windows (open ssh) "scp -P serverport file user@serverip:directory/file". But, I already solve the copiying problem, i had put wrong some options of the scp command.

However, while doing this, the server did stop sometimes and even the app closed itself. Even once my external sdcard was unmounted (?).

I will keep testing and let you know if i find out more.

BR
That should not happen, did the device ever do that before you installed the app? Because the app doesn't have the capability to unmount the sdcard.
Maybe you can test it also on another device?

kurokirasama

Jun 19, 2012
That should not happen, did the device ever do that before you installed the app? Because the app doesn't have the capability to unmount the sdcard.
Maybe you can test it also on another device?

Hi:
No, it never happened before, although it did happen when i was using the app, i'm not 100% shure that it was it fault, but it's very likely.
However, it have not happened again.

Sadly, i don't have another device to test.

BR,

kurokirasama

Jun 19, 2012
Hi:

I tried to add a public key so i don´t have to enter the password every time i connect to the ssh server, but i get this message:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE! @
Permissions 0644 for 'pass_rsa' are too open.
It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.
This private key will be ignored.

It seem to be a problem with the permission of the authorized_keys files in my device. However i don´t know how to change them and i haven´t been able to find it out who without root priviliges.

Do you have any ideas?

BR,

Themuzz

Nov 24, 2007
Hi:

I tried to add a public key so i don´t have to enter the password every time i connect to the ssh server, but i get this message:

@ WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE! @
Permissions 0644 for 'pass_rsa' are too open.
It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.
This private key will be ignored.

It seem to be a problem with the permission of the authorized_keys files in my device. However i don´t know how to change them and i haven´t been able to find it out who without root priviliges.

Do you have any ideas?

BR,
What gives you that message, the server or the client program? I assume the loading of the private key in the client gives the problem so it's not a server problem.
You can just generate a key paid using puttygen, copy it to the device and use it for a user. What client are you using?

theronkinator

Apr 16, 2011
I'm using with my Xperia U and FileZilla Client on my PC works really well thanks for the app.

I'd like to see an option to lock it to wifi only for security reasons if possible, so completely kill it working on 3G.

Themuzz

Nov 24, 2007
I'm using with my Xperia U and FileZilla Client on my PC works really well thanks for the app.

I'd like to see an option to lock it to wifi only for security reasons if possible, so completely kill it working on 3G.
Good idea, but since a lot of devices have different connection methods (3g, wifi, ethernet) we decided to listen on all. However, if you rooted your device you can use apps like droidwall to block these connections.

FTP Server Ultimate just got a video review on XDA TV! Thanks JIMMYMCGEE!
www.xda-developers.com/android/app-review-run-a-ftp-server-on-android-with-ftp-server-ultimate-xda-developer-tv/

Themuzz

Nov 24, 2007
Does anyone have other ideas for the FTP server?

Btw, does anyone use it on more than 1 phone, for example only for storage?

Northernmost

Mar 2, 2006
Lerwick
I'd use it on phone and tablet purely for always on file transfer capabilities. Currently, sshdroidpro fits the bill but it can be hit or miss at detecting a network change and sometimes needs manually quitting and restarting.

Northernmost

Mar 2, 2006
Lerwick
Once you can specify multiple SSIDs (or blank SSID meaning enable for any WiFi connection) against a single server config it'll be working for me ;)

Cybernerd

Nov 3, 2012
Hi there!
Great app! Is it possible to save log to file? Or better yet copy specific text like IP from log to clipboard? Thanks!

Sent from my SHV-E160K using xda app-developers app

neo668

Nov 17, 2012
Registered on this forum to say thank you for this great app. I did have a few problems though, which have now been solved. I used the built-in Dynamic DNS Updater to connect to my Dynamic DNS with ChangeIP.com.

The first problem was with ChangeIP, I think. I couldn't connect nor ping my Dynamic Domain Name. So I deleted it on ChangeIP.com website and created it again. This time I could ping it.

But I still could not connect to the Android FTP server. After spending much time reading up on this forum I realized I had not opened up a port in my home router. So I did so.

I still could not connect with the built-in FTP client in IE. Installed FileZilla FTP client and still could not connect. I had CuteFTP Pro on another computer and tried that. Surprise surprise. I connected immediately.

Conclusion:

(1) I wonder if I'll have port problems when I'm away from home?
(2) I can only connect with CuteFTP. IE and FileZilla will not work. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you just the same.

:good:

PS:

I tried using 3G by switching off the WLAN. Couldn't get it to work. I know the IP address was updated but I couldn't ping it. Changed back to my home wifi. And that worked again. Any ideas for a noob to try? Thanks.

PSS:

I suspect that my 3G provider is blocking things. IDK. Can someone enlighten me?

PSSS:

Okay. I went to the GRC website and used Shields UP!! to check my first 1056 ports. They were ALL stealthed. I guess mobile carriers won't let anybody access your phones from the outside for security reasons. This means I can only use this app at home on my own home wifi. Still great app though. But restricted.

Last edited:

Themuzz

Nov 24, 2007
Hi there!
Great app! Is it possible to save log to file? Or better yet copy specific text like IP from log to clipboard? Thanks!

Sent from my SHV-E160K using xda app-developers app
Yes, you can easily do that. You can email it to yourself or use the email option to select all the text. You can also filter for a specific IP, etc.
Let me know whether that helped!

Registered on this forum to say thank you for this great app. I did have a few problems though, which have now been solved. I used the built-in Dynamic DNS Updater to connect to my Dynamic DNS with ChangeIP.com.

The first problem was with ChangeIP, I think. I couldn't connect nor ping my Dynamic Domain Name. So I deleted it on ChangeIP.com website and created it again. This time I could ping it.

But I still could not connect to the Android FTP server. After spending much time reading up on this forum I realized I had not opened up a port in my home router. So I did so.

I still could not connect with the built-in FTP client in IE. Installed FileZilla FTP client and still could not connect. I had CuteFTP Pro on another computer and tried that. Surprise surprise. I connected immediately.

Conclusion:

(1) I wonder if I'll have port problems when I'm away from home?
(2) I can only connect with CuteFTP. IE and FileZilla will not work. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you just the same.

:good:

PS:

I tried using 3G by switching off the WLAN. Couldn't get it to work. I know the IP address was updated but I couldn't ping it. Changed back to my home wifi. And that worked again. Any ideas for a noob to try? Thanks.

PSS:

I suspect that my 3G provider is blocking things. IDK. Can someone enlighten me?

PSSS:

Okay. I went to the GRC website and used Shields UP!! to check my first 1056 ports. They were ALL stealthed. I guess mobile carriers won't let anybody access your phones from the outside for security reasons. This means I can only use this app at home on my own home wifi. Still great app though. But restricted.

Great to hear you like the app! To answer your questions:

1. Why does only one FTP client work?
It depends on the connection type (passive or active). Depending on what ports are open and whether your router supports nat you might need to use a passive connection. Just try to change the settings for the connection on the other ftp clients. Also, did you try Cute FTP on the same computer as IE and FileZIlla?

2. 3G blocked?
You're right, some providers don't allow the running of servers. However, other providers do allow it. It really depends on your provider, but it looks like yours doesn't allow it.

Let me know if there is anything else!

xlinkx

Sep 12, 2008
Thanks for this great app but I having problem connecting to the internal ip. It'll only work to public ip and port forwarded. Any idea how to fix this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unlike other FTP Server apps we have released an FTP Server with almost all the features you can think of. Some features FTP Server Ultimate has and most other apps don't have:

- Add multiple users: and give every user their own root, allow write access and force stay in given root directory
    - Run FTP server over SSL (FTPS Implicit) to have a secure connection
    - Or run FTP server over SSH (SFTP) to be even more secure! With even support for Secure Copy (SCP) and public key authentication.
    - Run multiple servers at the same time!
    - Extensive logging!
    - No root needed!

And more features:
    - Start/Stop a FTP server automatically when connected/disconnected from a specified WIFI network, or on boot
    - Optionally only allow specified IP addresses to access a FTP Server
    - Add a Dynamic DNS Updater using the local or public IP of your device
    - UTF-8 support
    - Optional anonymous access
    - The FTP Server can be accessed from the web (for example through your 3G connection) if supported by your mobile network
    - No more need for an USB cable
    - Share files with other devices

You can download it for free from Google Play (see the link below). I would appreciate it if you could leave a message stating what you think of the app, whether it works ok and whether you are missing anything. Quite some time has been put into it.

FTP Server Ultimate on Google Play

Video review by JIMMYMCGEE:
    XDA TV

FAQ

How come I can't run a server on a port below 1024?
    That is a limitation of Android. However, you can try out our app Port Forwarder Ultimate which allows you to access the server on a port below 1024! So you can for example run it on port 21.

All feedback is welcome!
    How to access from the web?
    I'm using it and it works great!
    Good to hear it works. About accessing from the web, you will need to use the public IP (visible under the info button on the start screen of the app). However, depending on your internet provider it might not work (some internet providers block it). If you use it through wifi you would need to enable port forwarding.

Are all of the same features present in your "servers ultimate " app?
    Yes, however, this app will be updated faster and is way less intensive to run on your device, since it's focused on FTP.

You're welcome :)

This got featured on the XDA portal!

Downloading and reviewing just for the sake of the hard work you put.
    I just read it on XDA, great article! And thanks for the reviewing, really appreciate it.

I'm having problems (Can't connect) using this with my Samsung GT-7100 Galaxy Note II.

I think is not an App problem but from the device. Every time i try to connect I'm getting this message : "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server"

Using other FTP Server and same result.

Never had this issue with my other device Galaxy S III.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks
    That sounds like a port forwarding problem. Do you try to access it through WIFI and are you with the client on the same WIFI network? Could you elaborate a bit?

It would be great if everyone who tries it let's me know whether it works ok and whether you are missing anything. Also, reviews on Android Play are of course welcome :)

Thanks!
    Once you can specify multiple SSIDs (or blank SSID meaning enable for any WiFi connection) against a single server config it'll be working for me ;)
    Ah yes, I know :) Will be included in the update :)
    My Lenovo K3 Note, Android 6.0, non-root can't write access to external SDcard. Eventhough I set home to external SDcard. So saddddddd.