LG SU660 ICS Source Drop

Search This thread

brentil

Sep 12, 2008
Not to mention, the change to v3 is not a major update. I don't know the full story, but something about Linus not liking the current version system or something like that, but don't quote me on it.

Yeah, a bunch of nothing according to him.

"So what are the big changes?

"NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Sure, we have the usual two thirds driver changes, and a lot of random fixes, but the point is that 3.0 is just about renumbering, we are very much not doing a KDE-4 or a Gnome-3 here. No breakage, no special scary new features, nothing at all like that. We've been doing time-based releases for many years now, this is in no way about features. If you want an excuse for the renumbering, you really should look at the time-based one ('20 years') instead.

"So no ABI changes, no API changes, no magical new features - just steady plodding progress. In addition to the driver changes (and the bulk really is driver updates), we've had some nice VFS cleanups, various VM fixes, some nice initial ARM consolidation (yay!) and in general this is supposed to be a fairly normal release cycle. The merge window was a few days shorter than usual, but if that ends up meaning a smaller release and a nice stable 3.0 release, that is all good. There's absolutely no reason to aim for the traditional '.0' problems that so many projects have."

sickkside13

Jul 15, 2012
Chicago
Wtf r u talking about yeah Ricardo is a great dev and has done a wonderful job on our devices but he is not the only one developer who is very talented...In my point of view all the developers from this forum are very talented they do an amazing job on the rom with no source kernel ect...imagine if they had them ...much respect for Ricardo and CM team, Eaglesblood team, Tonyp and the rest of the devs on the LG star platform development.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Reactions: BigSamE

lt6669

Jun 28, 2011
Mississauga
My reply

ICS/JB "can" work with the v3 kernel, it does not require said kernel. A lot of phones that are being upgraded from GB to ICS are all keeping their v2 kernels and just adding the needed portions.

I don't understand it all, but my understanding is that kernel version 3 is more stable and there for should be re-build ground up to make units work best. I do however humbly apologize if I offended anyone by being so oblivious to the big picture. Once again, and as always, time will tell if this source drop will in a fact help developers in any way, shape, and form.
Thank you for your reply.

P.S. I still think it is an easier (not easy) way out of making true ICS release without applying all intended code.

Last edited:

Aricrj

Nov 8, 2009
New Orleans
Yea CM10 is great but kangers always take it to the next level. I hate when people try to downplay
their importance to the community. Isn't Cyanogenmod built on AOSP source? The point is everyone has their roles and they are all vital to the success of the community. To think anything otherwise is ridiculous.

Sent from my LG-G2x using XDA Developers app.

epic507

May 7, 2012
RC just posted this to his G+ page this afternoon, "After a couple of days nights banging my head against the 2X's power management under +CyanogenMod 10, I think I nailed it ;)" The man is magic.

lalahai

Aug 14, 2010
RC just posted this to his G+ page this afternoon, "After a couple of days nights banging my head against the 2X's power management under +CyanogenMod 10, I think I nailed it ;)" The man is magic.

cm10l.jpg

think thats the one ure looking at ? :D Our wait is nearly over, cheers ! (tho its for P990,but still... YAY!)

DJLamontagneIII

Senior Moderator
Sep 30, 2008
Mom's Basement
If you don't follow the SU660 & P990 section you might want to go check out the "thank RC" thread and let him know how much we appreciate his efforts.

Ricardo Cerqueira aka RC aka acree support/donation CM10

From the big man himself in that thread:

Holy ****, people... I got to my mailbox and got scared there for a bit.
I'm humbled, I don't even know what to say, except... thanks. This stuff is almost ready (really, a couple more days at the most), I just hope it lives up to your expectations.

Cheers;
--
RC

Unfortunately they closed the thread :rolleyes: but we all can give him some beer money even without it :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

DankoFGL

Jan 13, 2012
Caracas
This is the answer that LG sent me for my request of android 4.0 that i've send two days ago....

Dear Fernando Gonzalez Lozano

Thank you for your interest about our mobile phone.

“We received your request on LG Open Source Code Distribution site(http://opensource.lge.com).
This site is just for providing source codes of FOSS(Free and Open Source Software) we have used in our product.”

We are sorry for the delay.
We will provide the source code you requested after the official version released

We hope this information will help you.

Thank you.
Sincerely yours,

LGE MC Company Open Source Code Distribution Center
Email : opensource-mc@lge.com

timmyjoe42

Jan 23, 2011
Cincinnati
This is the answer that LG sent me for my request of android 4.0 that i've send two days ago....

Dear Fernando Gonzalez Lozano

“We received your request on LG Open Source Code Distribution site(http://opensource.lge.com).
This site is just for providing source codes of FOSS(Free and Open Source Software) we have used in our product.”

We are sorry for the delay.
We will provide the source code you requested after the official version released

Thank you.
Sincerely yours,

LGE MC Company Open Source Code Distribution Center
Email : opensource-mc@lge.com

Was your inquiry on the P999? Am I correct to infer that an official Android 4.0 release is coming to us?

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
idk what he wrote them but i just sent them as well asking "when the source code for android 4.0 will be released for the lg p999?" so il post as soon as i get a reply if no one else has done so yet.

Really, you're wasting your time.

The only source code they're required to release is for phones that they have publicly released an update for. Since the SU660 got an ICS update, they're required to release the kernel source per the GPL. The P999 never got an ICS update and never will officially. Thus, they are not in any way required to release kernel source for the P999. The fact that the Su660 code is going to be useful for p999 is just fortunate for p999 users. But LG does not have to and will not make a release for the p999. Not gonna happen.

justjackyl

Jul 28, 2012
Really, you're wasting your time.

The only source code they're required to release is for phones that they have publicly released an update for. Since the SU660 got an ICS update, they're required to release the kernel source per the GPL. The P999 never got an ICS update and never will officially. Thus, they are not in any way required to release kernel source for the P999. The fact that the Su660 code is going to be useful for p999 is just fortunate for p999 users. But LG does not have to and will not make a release for the p999. Not gonna happen.

What he said...lol

Sent via G2x on temasek b135.2 w/ Trinity TD1.58 kernel (testing)

Reactions: deathmaker06

calebjhamby

Mar 25, 2012
Denison
The link isn't there in the thread at least?

edit...damn it isn't...

Mod hulk closed it because it breaches site rules. What?

they removed the donate links for whatever reason. However, RC's donate link is in my signature if you want to donate. My suggestion, donate to him, Tonyp, and as many of our awesome devs as you can. They all deserve it.

Edit: crap, that's the signature on my tablet. Hold on while I find it...

Edit 2:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=MTTHBGAAKWLKG

That should be it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: joeyxl

south69_dallas

Jun 18, 2010
they removed the donate links for whatever reason. However, RC's donate link is in my signature if you want to donate. My suggestion, donate to him, Tonyp, and as many of our awesome devs as you can. They all deserve it.

Edit: crap, that's the signature on my tablet. Hold on while I find it...

Edit 2:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=MTTHBGAAKWLKG

That should be it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

We are sorry to say that there is no newer version of source code now.

We will release the source code when there is any new version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#p999/cm10/next

Bite the pillow, arcee is going in dry.

Watch there for nightlies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    Honestly until something shows up on http://get.cm, nothing is going to happen. Arcee/CyanogenMod are the only people that can do anything for this phone. Even Eaglesblood/whoever just bases their work on CM.

So just keep an eye on http://get.cm, anything that appears before CyanogenMod is just going to be crap. Then afterwards people are going to modify the build.prop, release a new ROM, and call it their own.....

Someone like you always seems to hop in these threads and spread their ignorant nonsense.

RC is a brilliant pioneer without question, but certainly not the only person to provide meaningful contributions to the G2x community. Will he have the first or most stable release? I'd say probably so, but that doesn't mean that no one will have anything meaningful to add to it, or have solid releases of their own.

I'm not sure if you realize how insulting you're being to our devs, but I think you do and just don't care. I think I speak for a great number of individuals in the community when I say that it's ok for you to say something like "RC's a great dev, so I'm sure he'll have something for us relatively soon", but you can keep that dev bashing crap to yourself.
    I'm on Ricardo for the heads up on the story. He understands I'm a journalist prick.

mustangtim49@Xda-developers.com
    From Ricardo, P990, it's so close!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012+-+2
    We need to keep in mind a couple things.

1) LG Kernel source drops are rarely 100% ready to compile. The kernel experts will need time to fix all the loose ends that LG left when they ripped out things they don't want the outside world to see (it happens!) Also there may be bits and pieces that the kernel depends on to compile that are themselves proprietary and not included. Again, not a show stopper for the pros, but takes time to fix up and make into a compilable and working kernel.

2) Just because there are defines for p999 in the kernel doesn't mean that it contains full p999 support. It may or it may not. I'd be shocked if it does.

But it looks like we're golden for ICS .... Silver for JB? Hopefully if there are issues on JB with this then some of the better devs will at least give cm9 ICS a second look.

And hopefully this kernel dump will be better than previous for those of us unfortunate enough to have SOD/Reboots on anything but stock LG.