[ROOT][TOOL]Debugfs automated root [09/18/2012]

Search This thread

louiscar

Oct 12, 2007

What does unlock actually unlock and what doesn't it. I'm guessing the unlocked
bootloader won't allow a flash of a custom boot loader (to enable the rest of
the fastboot command set)? :confused:

The way I understand it, the Locked bootloader will only allow you to flash Stock ROMs ie. those signed by Asus with whatever limitations Asus allows for up/downgrading and limited to your current SKU . Unlocked gives you complete freedom to flash any ROM including , Recovery and if so desired even change to a different Stock SKU. In that respect it's fairly similar to what you already know about your HTC, except that the latter has the S-on/off state which is separate from lock/unlock. A much more detailed explanation however, should really come from those with more understanding than I. :)

For all I know, S-on/off is an HTC term and it may well exist under a different Asus definition, but from what I can see it's not possible to do anything (custom) Rom-wise without unlocking as you can with the HTC.

Last edited:

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have to strongly disagree with that because it's patently wrong for one. I easily downgraded to ICS within 10 mins using the instruction in the link I provide in my previous post.

My TF700 is locked and was rooted.

You should be careful about confusing people with this information, please take a moment to look at threads of people who have done it and above all look at the link I posted.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

If he's right then I must be lying when I say I did it with ease! I have done it - please check the link that I provided and follow the instructions. Provided you meet the criteria within that thread you will be successful. IE. you are locked, you are going from STOCK JB down to STOCK ICS .30. You can't downgrade to .26.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

I''m going to copy the relevant part here for those that would rather not trawl through the thread:

Thanks to Pretoriano80

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1833212

After completing step 4 I get a died android with red esclamation mark!
What can I do?

beckzz

Sep 17, 2011
Berlin
Sry guys, everything i wrote about unlock, going back to JB n stuff was for the tf201 not for the 700...in this case everything i wrote was right. Sry, im a little confused that the devices are mixed up here...probably not the best idea, to prevent even more confusion it would be better when tf700 users are going to discuss in the tf700 threads...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Reactions: louiscar

louiscar

Oct 12, 2007
Sry guys, everything i wrote about unlock, going back to JB n stuff was for the tf201 not for the 700...in this case everything i wrote was right. Sry, im a little confused that the devices are mixed up here...probably not the best idea, to prevent even more confusion it would be better when tf700 users are going to discuss in the tf700 threads...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Yeah, unfortunately TF700 owners are here because the thread is relevant to the rooting process for this device. It would help if XDA brought all the Transformer threads into a single heirarchy which then divided into models. That way this particular rooting thread could be moved above the individual models.

Mods?

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

After completing step 4 I get a died android with red esclamation mark!
What can I do?

Firstly I think it would be best to post your question in the original thread as I'm aware that our discussions have been off topic for this thread which is really to do with rooting the Transformers. Secondly, when you do, give a little more information on what you did, which Rom you downloaded and state of your device. I'm sure you'll get guidance more readily that way. However, it appears (from your signature) you have a TF201 and as beckzz has stated there is no known way back to ICS if you are JB.

Last edited:

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Firstly I think it would be best to post your question in the original thread as I'm aware that our discussions have been off topic for this thread which is really to do with rooting the Transformers. Secondly, when you do, give a little more information on what you did, which Rom you downloaded and state of your device. I'm sure you'll get guidance more readily that way. However, it appears (from your signature) you have a TF201 and as beckzz has stated there is no known way back to ICS if you are JB.

I was quoting a post where it was described how to go from JB to ICS. There it is also stated you can go back to ICS (.28) from JB.
It is indeed quite off topic, it looked to me the only way to get ROOT on JB after a wipe.

louiscar

Oct 12, 2007
Confused!!
Aren't we under: Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime > Eee Pad Transformer Prime Android Development??
I used this thread for root of my Prime when it was ICS.

OT: I was thinking of getting to TF700 forums, after recent rumors, it looks like I'll search for stuff under Nexus 10!!
Sorry yes, the thread I believe you were following is this one

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1833212

and that is for TF300 & TF700. For TF201 refer to Beckzz statement on this thread #805 where he clearly states under what circumstances you'd be able to go back to ICS. I think you need to be 1) unlocked & 2) have nvflash installed when you were on ICS.

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Sorry yes, the thread I believe you were following is this one

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1833212

and that is for TF300 & TF700. For TF201 refer to Beckzz statement on this thread #805 where he clearly states under what circumstances you'd be able to go back to ICS. I think you need to be 1) unlocked & 2) have nvflash installed when you were on ICS.

NP!
I used that guide, but it did not work for my Prime (it looks like it is for Infinity only).

SeaWaLK

Jul 15, 2008
Those who say it works are actually from TF700. Those who can't are using TF201. I am using TF201 JB locked. It definitely doesn't work.

spider623

Jan 31, 2011
Limassol
Confused!!
Aren't we under: Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime > Eee Pad Transformer Prime Android Development??
I used this thread for root of my Prime when it was ICS.

OT: I was thinking of getting to TF700 forums, after recent rumors, it looks like I'll search for stuff under Nexus 10!!

Nexus 10 is Samsung

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG using Tapatalk 2

chockchip

Dec 21, 2007
Kaohsiung City
I am not developer or programmer whatever. However last night i saw my google play update system apps. So I was thinking that

Is it possible to inject some code or exploit during market update system apps? :confused:

edinak

Mar 6, 2007
Can someone is teal me is posible to root Padfone with Android (4.0.4) 9.20.4.22_WW_9.4.2-0. Thanks!

spider623

Jan 31, 2011
Limassol
So any news about any potential exploit that will allow as to root jb with out the need of unlocking?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tool will root your device based on the debugfs root method developed by miloj.

Just download and unzip everything into a directory; then run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory (if you do not currently have the device drivers for your transformer, they are attached to this post, please install them, please use them to install your device before attempting the process).

Neither ADB nor the SDK need to be installed as all needed files are included in the attachments below (though it won't hurt anything if they are).

Helpful tip:
    Make sure no other Android device is connected to your PC

It should look familiar since I took PrimeTime and gutted it, only keeping the menu options. Thanks to viperboy for that.
    Original post is in the TF300 thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1704209

UPDATE 6/12/2012:
    v1.1 - Added donation link for miloj
    v1.2 - Fixed bug that caused it to stop while doing "debugfs", to cancel press Ctrl+c
    v1.3 - Fixed bug where the id is not returned from the su test
    v1.4 - Fixed bug introduced with v1.3
    v1.5 - Fixed bug where you don't have to push the apk before calling install

6/13/2012
    v1.6 - Fixed messaging (this is a cosmetic change)
    v1.7 - Added a remove call on su prior to rooting for those who had root previously and it not longer works
    v1.8 - Change the octal permissions to be 6755 instead of 4755

7/2/2012
    v1.9 - Update superuser app and binary to the latest version available
    XDA uploads are not working currently so I have uploaded the new version to here for now
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DC89975E3CE960E5!221

8/5/2012
    v2.0 - Updated to include a kill for Asus sync as that seemed to be the biggest issue.
    I have also made it more generic so that it can root more devices with the same util. This is done by scanning for the system partition automatically, thanks to rightonred for that suggestion. With the attachment labeled "generic" I have removed all asus references and drivers since they were causing issues with me being able to attach the zip to xda. Anybody who needs the drivers can download them from asus or from another xda post.
    v2.1 - Added a pause while waiting for the device to restart to alleviate that nuisance.
    v2.2 - Added message to ignore "File not found" message when trying to delete old su versions. Also updated message with the generic locations of settings on the tablet.

8/12/2012
    v2.3 - Update su binary file (hopefully it may help some of the people with superuser app issues)

ASUS drivers can be downloaded from the ASUS site but some are not provided other than through the sync install. I have extracted out the drivers from that sync install and attached them to this post. These drivers will support most of the Asus Eee Pad family including TF101, TF201, TF300, TF700, ME171(MeMO), A66(Padfone), SL101(Slider), and a couple others.

No longer need a PadFone specific root util as the generic one should work for it as well.

Here is a version I put together for the Gallexy SII (but the generic one attached here should work fine)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27611187&postcount=3
    Latest Supported Versions:
    v9.2.1.27 for the TF101 (ICS 4.0.3)
    v9.2.2.6 for the TF101G (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.2.28 for the TF201 (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.4.3.30 for the TF300T (ICS 4.0.3)
    v9.4.4.40 for the TF300TG (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.5.30 for the TF700T (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.18.8.41 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.3)

These are the latest supported versions as far as I know, if I get any further input I will update this post.

Reported UNsupported Versions
    v10.4.2.15 for the TF201 (JB 4.1.1)
    v10.4.2.9 for the TF300T (JB 4.1.1)
    v10.4.4.16 for the TF700T (JB 4.1.1)
    v9.20.1.22 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.4)
    I have not been on the forum for a couple days so I will respond to a few things.

Supersu is not required, rootkeeper will work with superuser installed as well.

The best option I have seen for the next root is the google restore exploit, but it has yet to be adjusted for the asus devices.

I will help in any way I see possible to help figure a new root method out, or create a tool that is needed if a manual root method is found. Until then, reverting to ics, rooting, and upgrade seems to be the only route. Though I am vague on the details of that procedure.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    any one confirmed? what's the risk, if it doesnt work?

The risk if it doesn't would should just be that you wouldn't have root.

We already have confirmation that the method works (so there should be no risk there). We just don't have confirmation that I didn't make a typo or other mistake when putting it all together.
    It appears it cannot find "su" in the /system/xbin/ folder. Using Root Browser (free) I have confirmed it *is* there. Wierd date stamp on it tho - 31 June 1969...

There is also a "su" in the /system/bin/ folder. hmmmmm ..... I wonder ....

Can you send me the result of the commands (in adb shell):

ls -l /system/*/su
    echo $PATH

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Having the exact same problem trying manually and with the tool...

Since SU is still installed but root was lost it cannot write the new SU... the old one is a protected system file you can not overwrite or delete....

Until we can find a way to delete(uninstall) previous version of SU no root for us :-(

Oh ok, I see what it is. Let me find a way to solve this quickly.

EDIT: The problem comes from OTA RootKeeper in my opinion, it does a "chattr +i /system/xbin/su" to prevent Asus OTA to overwrite or delete the file.
    Here is the trick to solve it, very simple, insert the command "rm su" before the write command, like this:

debugfs: cd xbin
    debugfs: rm su
    debugfs: write /data/local/su su
    debugfs: set_inode_field su mode 0104755
    debugfs: set_inode_field su uid 0
    debugfs: set_inode_field su gid 0
    debugfs: quit

Will update my OP.