FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Updated: 31/10/12 - PIT Magic v1.3.10 - Samsung PIT Creator, Editor, Analyzer!

2,571 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,981

By lyriquidperfection, Inactive Recognized Developer on 2nd October 2012, 08:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th October 2012, 02:27 AM |#41  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 400

More
ok two things:
1.) how would i "dump" my pit file now? to use as a back up
2.) how would i make the /system partition smaller?

all of this on the sprint galaxy sIII
21st October 2012, 05:18 PM |#42  
Flag Fuerteventura
Thanks Meter: 71

More
Question NAND Corruption
Hi,

I recently bricked my phone. Info here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=18640

I was suggested that maybe creating a custom PIT (bypasing bad sectors, or whatever) could "revive my phone".

Any suggestions on what to test? The phone just enters Download Mode. Odin fails every time (not fails directly, just stalls writing to NAND).

Do I need to flash the bootloader everytime I send a PIT?

Thanks
31st October 2012, 03:49 AM |#43  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Nottingham

Donate to Me
More
PIT Magic v1.3.10 has now been released! Please see the first post in this thread for changes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lyriquidperfection For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lyriquidperfection Ad-Free
31st October 2012, 08:56 PM |#44  
Flag islamabad
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyriquidperfection

PIT Magic v1.3.10 has now been released! Please see the first post in this thread for changes.

the link on first post is not working.plz give another link for PIT Magic v1.3.10

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianjm

Hi,

I recently bricked my phone. Info here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=18640

I was suggested that maybe creating a custom PIT (bypasing bad sectors, or whatever) could "revive my phone".

Any suggestions on what to test? The phone just enters Download Mode. Odin fails every time (not fails directly, just stalls writing to NAND).

Do I need to flash the bootloader everytime I send a PIT?

Thanks

you have a galaxy s2 right.see this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1667886

there is pit for galaxy s2.download the pit for galaxy s2 its in the end of the first post.
31st October 2012, 09:29 PM |#45  
Flag Nottingham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uz986

the link on first post is not working.plz give another link for PIT Magic v1.3.10

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

you have a galaxy s2 right.see this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1667886

there is pit for galaxy s2.download the pit for galaxy s2 its in the end of the first post.

Dev-Host seems to be down. I have attached PIT Magic v1.3.10 to the first post in this thread.
7th November 2012, 04:18 PM |#46  

More
Hello!

First, Thank You for this utility!

Next, a rather PIT-101 question: How do PIT entries map to the Block numbers?

I am trying to understand, if using the command, " dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/out.pit bs=8 count=481 skip=2176" results in generating the "pit" file (- which by the way is what I did and opened in PIT MAGIC to produce the output -see attachment.), then why does the Entry # 00 shows partition name as MODEM in my pit file? I had this doubt as I was examining the Modem flashing scripts where it is "run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p1", "/tmp/UVLJ4.bin");" and got confused...

A different example with df command:

Code:
:[email protected]:/ # busybox df -ha  

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on 
/dev/block/mmcblk0p11
                         13.4M      4.5M      8.9M  33% /efs
Another example: if EFS is in mmcblk0p11, PIT MAGIC shows Entry # 10 with Partition Name: EFS.

I am trying to backup all partitions so, I would like to understand how Block numbers map to partition entries.
The Following User Says Thank You to tester420 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tester420 Ad-Free
7th November 2012, 04:32 PM |#47  
Flag Nottingham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tester420

Hello!

First, Thank You for this utility!

Next, a rather PIT-101 question: How do PIT entries map to the Block numbers?

I am trying to understand, if using the command, " dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/out.pit bs=8 count=481 skip=2176" results in generating the "pit" file (- which by the way is what I did and opened in PIT MAGIC to produce the output -see attachment.), then why does the Entry # 00 shows partition name as MODEM in my pit file? I had this doubt as I was examining the Modem flashing scripts where it is "run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p1", "/tmp/UVLJ4.bin");" and got confused...

A different example with df command:

Code:
:[email protected]:/d # busybox df -ha  

/dev/block/mmcblk0p11
                         13.4M      4.5M      8.9M  33% /efs
Another example: if EFS is in mmcblk0p11, PIT MAGIC shows Entry # 10 with Partition Name: EFS.

I am trying to backup all partitions so, I would like to understand how Block numbers map to partition entries.

Hi the pit entries are references specific to the pit file rather than the device. It's the Identifier property you are looking for. For example system partition on most Samsung devices is mmcblk0p9. If you look at the Identifier property, you will see that says 9. Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
7th November 2012, 04:43 PM |#48  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyriquidperfection

Hi the pit entries are references specific to the pit file rather than the device. It's the Identifier property you are looking for. For example system partition on most Samsung devices is mmcblk0p9. If you look at the Identifier property, you will see that says 9. Hope this helps.

and it does help! So, if I understand correctly, on my phone (again, T999), the system is on mmcblk0p14 right? (see the previous attachment - the identifier is 14).

I confirmed it with DF again:

Code:
busybox df -ha

/dev/block/mmcblk0p14
                          1.4G      1.1G    390.3M  74% /system
just trying to confirm... If this is true, T999 has different PIT and locations are not the same. Major implications flashing wrong modems...and that answers why some people have bricks flashing wrong modems. Because, technically, a wrong file shouldn't brick the phone.. unless written to say, boot partition etc..
7th November 2012, 05:32 PM |#49  
Flag Nottingham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tester420

and it does help! So, if I understand correctly, on my phone (again, T999), the system is on mmcblk0p14 right? (see the previous attachment - the identifier is 14).

I confirmed it with DF again:

Code:
busybox df -ha

/dev/block/mmcblk0p14
                          1.4G      1.1G    390.3M  74% /system
just trying to confirm... If this is true, T999 has different PIT and locations are not the same. Major implications flashing wrong modems...and that answers why some people have bricks flashing wrong modems. Because, technically, a wrong file shouldn't brick the phone.. unless written to say, boot partition etc..

Correct! The right file written to the wrong location can cause big headaches!

9th November 2012, 08:10 PM |#50  
Flag Nottingham

Donate to Me
More
Pit Magic will be updated soon with the ability to extract a pit file from the device via adb. If devs would like to see other improvements to this application then please post them here.

19th November 2012, 06:35 PM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 947

More
Is the source code of the application available?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)