FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

GSM SIM card mode for Sptint Glaxy Note II?

419 posts
Thanks Meter: 145

By leond, Senior Member on 27th October 2012, 07:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
31st October 2012, 02:38 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazman23

looks like the sim reader would go right in same place as the GSM sim version either trim the sprint case to model it the same as the GSM sim version or buy a GSM sim replacement case.

You can't simply replace the chip with SIM card slot. You will lose Sprint LTE. To make it right you's need to solder a dual SIM adapter instead of the chip, then solder chip back in to micro SIM slot of the adapter and use the regular SIM slot for other SIM you might want to use. The software that comes with an adaptor will help you switch between chip and the SIM
The Following User Says Thank You to leond For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leond Ad-Free

31st October 2012, 03:38 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazman23

looks like the sim reader would go right in same place as the GSM sim version either trim the sprint case to model it the same as the GSM sim version or buy a GSM sim replacement case.

No u are exactly correct that chip controls sprint lte access but the good news is a secondary sim slot can be placed directly over it without much case modification you just have to wire it up and remove the metal block from the pcb cover Case also wireless charging is definitely in play due to the pcb is wired for it a lot of hardware modification promise

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
31st October 2012, 03:44 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leond

You can't simply replace the chip with SIM card slot. You will lose Sprint LTE. To make it right you's need to solder a dual SIM adapter instead of the chip, then solder chip back in to micro SIM slot of the adapter and use the regular SIM slot for other SIM you might want to use. The software that comes with an adaptor will help you switch between chip and the SIM

I am not a fan of the Iphone, but my wife has the 4s and I was able to call sprint to have them unlock the phone so we can use it overseas with another sim card. With that being said is the Iphone the only phone that has the slot to easily take out the card and replace it with another card if traveling overseas?
31st October 2012, 08:36 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I wonder if the pcb boards or internals used in the Verizon version could be swapped out for Sprint? It would be pretty interesting if a Verizon version of this phone just required a transplant of the LTE sim chip.
31st October 2012, 08:46 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdog44

I am not a fan of the Iphone, but my wife has the 4s and I was able to call sprint to have them unlock the phone so we can use it overseas with another sim card. With that being said is the Iphone the only phone that has the slot to easily take out the card and replace it with another card if traveling overseas?

Well, the GNII doesn't have that ability :/
31st October 2012, 09:06 PM |#16  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 31

More
The original Photon has a removable sim. Not sure about sprints unlocking policy on that device though.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app
31st October 2012, 10:30 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkendvoid88

The original Photon has a removable sim. Not sure about sprints unlocking policy on that device though.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

I own this Photon and it worked well since it's unlocked for foreign sims but it won't see an update beyond 2.3 since Motorola won't upgrade it. GN2 is the phone I want to upgrade to but this embedded sim is my biggest problem with it.
31st October 2012, 10:46 PM |#18  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy2

No u are exactly correct that chip controls sprint lte access but the good news is a secondary sim slot can be placed directly over it without much case modification you just have to wire it up and remove the metal block from the pcb cover Case also wireless charging is definitely in play due to the pcb is wired for it a lot of hardware modification promise

Randy, Are you saying saying there is no need to remove the chip just solder wires from it's legs to SIM slot and switch with software?
1st November 2012, 12:28 AM |#19  

More
Exactly someone would have to unlock it software wise but a simple soder hack and some super glue will allow it to be used directly on top of chip with wires straight to the right connections.. The chip cannot I repeat cannot be removed it manages the sprint frequency of lte and International roaming to remove it would take away ur ability to have lte but the positive is its not that locked down from what I'm hearing its a simple mod hardware wise. also the wireless hack is super super easy I don't understand why sprint left the tech for wireless charging in and routed correctly but removed the access to them. Go figure as soon as I get a device ill do some tinkering

1st November 2012, 12:33 AM |#20  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 31

More
I have to tear it down again tomorrow when I get to the store as I screwed up the rubber grommet that goes around the headphone jack (covering the hole atm). So if you guys need any more pictures of the chip / insides I'd be happy to oblige.
1st November 2012, 01:13 AM |#21  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkendvoid88

I have to tear it down again tomorrow when I get to the store as I screwed up the rubber grommet that goes around the headphone jack (covering the hole atm). So if you guys need any more pictures of the chip / insides I'd be happy to oblige.

can you take another close up picture of the wireless charging ports
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test 1.jpg
Views:	2537
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	1447165  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)