FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GT-N710x][SHV-E250*] CF-Auto-Root

11,416 posts
Thanks Meter: 87,997

By Chainfire, Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 12th October 2012, 02:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th November 2012, 10:12 PM |#171  
Flag Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

2012.10.12 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v0.96

Download:

GT-N7100: CF-Auto-Root-t03g-gtn7100.zip
GT-N7105: CF-Auto-Root-t0lte-gtn7105.zip

Am I doing something wrong??? I've flashed CF-Auto-Root-t03g-gtn7100 using Odin, then when using triangle away,, its saying custom binary download: No,, Current Binary: Samsung Official,, System Status: Custom?? When rebooted and checking settings > about device > status > device status is still showing "modified" --- how do I get this back to normal so the OTA software update will work????

4th November 2012, 11:03 PM |#172  
OP Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic2009

Am I doing something wrong??? I've flashed CF-Auto-Root-t03g-gtn7100 using Odin, then when using triangle away,, its saying custom binary download: No,, Current Binary: Samsung Official,, System Status: Custom?? When rebooted and checking settings > about device > status > device status is still showing "modified" --- how do I get this back to normal so the OTA software update will work????

You are doing several things wrong. The number of question marks in your post is all wrong, for example.

It was also wrong not to use the search and/or read the relevant threads. All that can be said about System Status: Custom, and Settings -> About Device -> Status Device has already been said and documented.

The last thing you do wrong is actually wanting root and OTA to work at the same time. It should be an either/or thing. I could try to explain, but it won't matter, because the next 15 posts will all be the exact same question again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th November 2012, 11:47 PM |#173  
Flag Newcastle upon Tyne

More
Apologies Chainfire -- new at this game, qq then, is it possible to get the note 2 back to original state losing modified status?
5th November 2012, 05:51 AM |#174  
Flag Taipei
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:

Apologies Chainfire -- new at this game, qq then, is it possible to get the note 2 back to original state losing modified status?

Reset flash count to 0 using Triangle Away, and flash a stock rom.

Quote:

You are doing several things wrong. The number of question marks in your post is all wrong, for example.

It was also wrong not to use the search and/or read the relevant threads. All that can be said about System Status: Custom, and Settings -> About Device -> Status Device has already been said and documented.

The last thing you do wrong is actually wanting root and OTA to work at the same time. It should be an either/or thing. I could try to explain, but it won't matter, because the next 15 posts will all be the exact same question again.

@Chainfire
Thanks for your great job.
I rooted my note 2 using CF auto root, and Triangle Away reset the flash count to 0, stock kernel, then by wiping data/factory reset I have the Device status=Normal while device is still rooted. Software Update is functional so I believe I am able to receive OTA and install it without problem. Once OTA package is installed, as system will be overwritten, so I need to root it again. Am I correct?
5th November 2012, 06:58 AM |#175  
Thanks Meter: 135

Donate to Me
More
I use mobile odin to flash n7105lj4 from sammobile.com, also with everroot, after that, i check the root is there and status is official, but after i reboot, the status changed to modified, and no matter how many time i reset with triangle away, it shows counter as 1, is it normal?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium HD app
5th November 2012, 07:32 AM |#176  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unhappy
I flashed my N7100 with the N7105 root file by accident , I then try rooting it with the N7100 file again.

But the phone still show as N7105, anyway to change it back ? beside the number change everything seem to be working normally..

Cheers.
5th November 2012, 07:35 AM |#177  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkbf

Reset flash count to 0 using Triangle Away, and flash a stock rom.

@Chainfire
I rooted my note 2 using CF auto root, and Triangle Away reset the flash count to 0, stock kernel, then by wiping data/factory reset I have the Device status=Normal while device is still rooted. Software Update is functional so I believe I am able to receive OTA and install it without problem. Once OTA package is installed, as system will be overwritten, so I need to root it again. Am I correct?

Not sure if it will work for Note2 but it worked for me before on padfone, you can try ota rootkeeper to preserve root after ota update.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seifer1975 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Seifer1975 Ad-Free
5th November 2012, 08:02 AM |#178  
Flag Taipei

More
In fact I have SuperSU Pro installed, and Pro version has OTA Survival Mode which should keep root through the OTA upgrade, althouth not guaranteed.
As currently my n7100 is rooted, Device status is Normal and Software Update is functional, it's just interesting to see what will happen when next OTA rolling out.
5th November 2012, 08:52 AM |#179  
OP Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkbf

OTA behavior is undefined. An OTA is a differential between two system states. The original system state has been modified by rooting, as such the differential is by definition incorrect to get the wanted system state, from Samsung's perspective. Mathematically speaking, it literally doesn't add up. That is why the result is "undefined".

An OTA could work fine, or it might bork up your system. It depends on the OTA. That's why Mobile ODIN has the capability to flash ZIP OTAs, it can modify them "on the fly" to correct these issues. Unfortunately it cannot flash BIN OTAs which Samsung sometimes uses.

All in all, everybody should just forget about OTAs. OTAs are very rare and far between, and full firmwares are generally released as well (either by Samsung or costummade by SamFirmware).

Yes, SuperSU (Pro!) support OTA survival mode so you won't lose root IF (and that's a big IF) the OTA manages to flash, and on some devices that does work, but it still shouldn't.

Again, everybody should just forget about OTA compatibility. The amount of effort people put in complaining/asking/fretting about OTAs is a lot more than it takes to just wait and flash a the full firmware when it comes out.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2012, 10:20 AM |#180  
Flag Newcastle upon Tyne

More
Which stock kernel did you use, I've tried this several times and still cant device status to normal
5th November 2012, 12:55 PM |#181  
Flag Taipei

More
Quote:

OTA behavior is undefined. An OTA is a differential between two system states. The original system state has been modified by rooting, as such the differential is by definition incorrect to get the wanted system state, from Samsung's perspective. Mathematically speaking, it literally doesn't add up. That is why the result is "undefined".

An OTA could work fine, or it might bork up your system. It depends on the OTA. That's why Mobile ODIN has the capability to flash ZIP OTAs, it can modify them "on the fly" to correct these issues. Unfortunately it cannot flash BIN OTAs which Samsung sometimes uses.

All in all, everybody should just forget about OTAs. OTAs are very rare and far between, and full firmwares are generally released as well (either by Samsung or costummade by SamFirmware).

Yes, SuperSU (Pro!) support OTA survival mode so you won't lose root IF (and that's a big IF) the OTA manages to flash, and on some devices that does work, but it still shouldn't.

Again, everybody should just forget about OTA compatibility. The amount of effort people put in complaining/asking/fretting about OTAs is a lot more than it takes to just wait and flash a the full firmware when it comes out.

It's clear and fully understand, thanks.

However, it's your and other Devs' great tools that making something impossible become possible and that bring new life to such a new model like Note 2 in such fast pace. I don't know how others thinking that they complain, but what I think is to enjoy your efforts and support you for further progress. I use CF-root start from i9000, and now Note 2. It's just wonderful that you guys are here.

Regarding OTA, to be honest I do not really care, because as far as I have Odin, CF-auto-root, Triangle Away, Mobile Odin and CWM recovery, I know I can choose what "food" to eat, how to eat, now and in the future.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Quote:

Which stock kernel did you use, I've tried this several times and still cant device status to normal

My ROM is N7100ZSALJA which was upgraded and installed via Kies.

Do you have performed wipe data/factory reset after you rooted your device?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)