Pattern Lock.. Defeated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

haykuro

Nov 21, 2008
Sunrise
EDIT: updated with step-by-step instructions.

Step 1. Download the Android SDK (http://developer.android.com/sdk/)
Step 2. Make sure to configure the ADB usb interface drivers (search the forums for more information on this if you're confused.)
Step 3. Plug your G1 into your computer (via usb). (Settings -> Application -> Development -> USB Debugging, must be enabled [it is enabled by default in JesusFreke releases i think])
Step 4. Open command prompt and enter the following:
Code:
> adb -d shell
# sqlite3 data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
sqlite> update system set value=0 where name='lock_pattern_autolock';
sqlite> .exit
# exit
Step 5. Now power off the phone, and turn it back on. Tada! No more pattern lock.

Last edited:
J

Joeriginal

Sorry, Im speaking on behalf of the simpler folk, but how exactly do you go about doing this, and if so can you make an update.zip that would do this?

twistkill

Sep 23, 2006
Dallas, TX
hey haykuro, probably you should post this in the development sub-forums..
anyways great stuff man..the code looks so simple lol..i am sure you toiled hard tho!
thanks again.

Ron Overdrive

Feb 2, 2009
Sorry, Im speaking on behalf of the simpler folk, but how exactly do you go about doing this, and if so can you make an update.zip that would do this?

None of this is done on the phone itself. It's done using the adb utility for your computer. Just download the adb.exe file and the USB drivers then repeat the commands shown above at your command prompt.

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
Yay! Now I can finally use that stolen G1!

J/k I already got rid of the previous owner's account by flashing DREAIMG.NBH

(No, I did not really steal a G1 :p)

ICBM

Feb 10, 2009
As a follow-up, how difficult would it be to replace the regular lock screen with a different one (non-pattern based)? I struggle with the pattern one, because it's pretty easy for anybody to hold the phone up to the light to see the pattern. Would be useful to have a different, more secure lock screen.

cboy007

Aug 13, 2008
As a follow-up, how difficult would it be to replace the regular lock screen with a different one (non-pattern based)? I struggle with the pattern one, because it's pretty easy for anybody to hold the phone up to the light to see the pattern. Would be useful to have a different, more secure lock screen.

what the hell are you talking about? hold the phone up to the light to see a DIGITAL screen unlock pattern? maybe if you leave giant greasy fingerprints all over the screen...

ICBM

Feb 10, 2009
Yes that's exactly right. The low-tech, looks at the fingerprint pattern works like a charm. Don't believe me? Try it yourself. I don't consider myself particularly greasy, but if you use the G1 as is, without screen covers or anything, you can usually see enough to figure out what the unlock pattern is.

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
what the hell are you talking about? hold the phone up to the light to see a DIGITAL screen unlock pattern? maybe if you leave giant greasy fingerprints all over the screen...

That's what he meant. And it's very plausible to do, even if your fingers are a little greasy. Try it.

haykuro

Nov 21, 2008
Sunrise
This is nothing revolutionary. All you are doing here is hitting the "Require pattern" switch to off, just doing it the more "intrusive" method.

This is not any sort of insight to replacing the lock activity.

as far as that goes, you'd have to completely rebuild the OS.

Code:
>adb shell logcat -d V | grep -i lock
D/KeyguardViewMediator(   54): wakeWhenReadyLocked(82)
D/KeyguardViewMediator(   54): pokeWakelock(10000)
D/KeyguardViewMediator(   54): pokeWakelock(7000)
D/KeyguardViewMediator(   54): pokeWakelock(10000)
D/KeyguardViewMediator(   54): pokeWakelock(5000)
D/KeyguardViewMediator(   54): pokeWakelock(7000)

this is the action of turning on the screen.

for further information on REPLACING the lock screen you can follow up in this thread http://groups.google.com/group/andr...b512cb203b/8324f7ff7ed232b3?#8324f7ff7ed232b3 (this is just one of the many i googled up.)

no6969el

Jan 22, 2009
yea.. another issue with the lock is that as it may be confusing and magical to a non G1 user.. but i tell you.. .. if a g1 user sees you put your code in... its easily retained to the "allready used it, understand how it works" mind.

haitiankid4lyf

May 25, 2008
two things: since you enter an adb shell does this mean you can do this from a terminal on the phone?

also, cool thing i found,
first you need to have an unlock code set
then you need to have mybackup from the market,
create a backup up of your system settings
do a wipe/factory reset (i dont know if you had to but thats what i did when it happened to me)
now restore your system settings
now you will have an unlock screen that opens with ANY pattern even if its only one dot

haykuro

Nov 21, 2008
Sunrise
two things: since you enter an adb shell does this mean you can do this from a terminal on the phone?
yes. but if you are on the terminal of the phone, i'd guess you wouldn't need to bypass the lock screen now would you? ;)

also, cool thing i found,
first you need to have an unlock code set
then you need to have mybackup from the market,
create a backup up of your system settings
do a wipe/factory reset (i dont know if you had to but thats what i did when it happened to me)
now restore your system settings
now you will have an unlock screen that opens with ANY pattern even if its only one dot
cool :cool:

haykuro

Nov 21, 2008
Sunrise
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: updated with step-by-step instructions.

Step 1. Download the Android SDK (http://developer.android.com/sdk/)
    Step 2. Make sure to configure the ADB usb interface drivers (search the forums for more information on this if you're confused.)
    Step 3. Plug your G1 into your computer (via usb). (Settings -> Application -> Development -> USB Debugging, must be enabled [it is enabled by default in JesusFreke releases i think])
    Step 4. Open command prompt and enter the following:
    Code:
    > adb -d shell
    # sqlite3 data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    sqlite> update system set value=0 where name='lock_pattern_autolock';
    sqlite> .exit
    # exit
    Step 5. Now power off the phone, and turn it back on. Tada! No more pattern lock.