32GB or 64GB MicroSD cards for Galaxy S3

Search This thread

wuppiwuppi

Jul 11, 2012
www.oxy-doc.com
In July I got that 64GB class 10 card from SanDisk as well. Speed was nice but suddenly after 2 Month it stopped working. Neither my S3 nor any other card reader I have would recognize it. Luckily I could send it back to Amazon.

But there are no alternatives, so I have to buy it again and hope for better quality.

alaman68

Nov 20, 2010
drinking under a bridge
i'm going to go ahead and bump this instead of starting a new thread.

i got my GS3 in August and have fried a 16GB class 6 sandisk, and two 32 GB class 10 sd cards: below.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0... sd card&qid=1351387477&s=electronics&sr=1-22

in addition, i have already received a replacement phone since after the first class 10 fry, the internal sd card reader was deemed corrupt. Is this something only i am experiencing? I had one card for my EVO over two years. now i have gone through 3 in three months.

anyone heard anything more about GS3 and the way they totally screw up SD cards? or is this something i can just blame on my wife?

thanks

Lightyear25

Feb 3, 2011
Cincinnati
Here a SD Card Test I ran, I have the San Disk Ultra Class 10 64GB. I got this on sale for $39.99 from BestBuy a couple weeks ago.

Formatted via FAT32

2012-10-27%2021.52.56.png

jeriel05

Jan 7, 2009
Here a SD Card Test I ran, I have the San Disk Ultra Class 10 64GB. I got this on sale for $39.99 from BestBuy a couple weeks ago.

Formatted via FAT32

2012-10-27%2021.52.56.png

If I'm not mistaken you ran the speed test on your internal memory and not on your sd card, the sd card path should be extsdcard not sdcard

Sent from my SCH-I535

threshold350

Feb 23, 2011
i'm going to go ahead and bump this instead of starting a new thread.

i got my GS3 in August and have fried a 16GB class 6 sandisk, and two 32 GB class 10 sd cards: below.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0... sd card&qid=1351387477&s=electronics&sr=1-22

in addition, i have already received a replacement phone since after the first class 10 fry, the internal sd card reader was deemed corrupt. Is this something only i am experiencing? I had one card for my EVO over two years. now i have gone through 3 in three months.

anyone heard anything more about GS3 and the way they totally screw up SD cards? or is this something i can just blame on my wife?

thanks

My guess is the gets corrupt from the cpu heart. If you are OC, the phone can get hot! It gets hot towards the bottom which I'm told is where the cpu is which is where out microSD is also. I'm sure these little cards aren't suppose to be exposed to high great even though advertised to be "rugged"

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: alaman68
My guess is the gets corrupt from the cpu heart. If you are OC, the phone can get hot! It gets hot towards the bottom which I'm told is where the cpu is which is where out microSD is also. I'm sure these little cards aren't suppose to be exposed to high great even though advertised to be "rugged"

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I am having the same problem with S3. I bought 32GB Sandisk microSD-HC from eBay on end of August, and now it frequently unmounting. It showed corrupted twice but still working and I am able to used it in PC. I suspect the phone. What you guys think?

prinzhernan

Sep 3, 2010
I am having the same problem with S3. I bought 32GB Sandisk microSD-HC from eBay on end of August, and now it frequently unmounting. It showed corrupted twice but still working and I am able to used it in PC. I suspect the phone. What you guys think?

I honesty think it might be the phone. Why not have it checked?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Cliffback

Aug 2, 2012
Hamar
I have SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s and its just amazing, except that its just 32gb and not 64. The writing speed is at 9,08 MB/s and the reading speed is at 12,42 MB/s.

jimlmackjr

Mar 7, 2011
Not sure what the problem is
i bought mine the other day 64Gb from the local Bestbuy and i put it in the phone and formated to the phone and i have 57.somtehing GB
loaded about 20GB music and 15GB of Movies and the rest is for Photos and Videos so far so good
but u can go to SANDISK web site and reguster ur card and return it to them they have a lifetime warrenty on them
Warranty

The SanDisk Ultra microSDHC/microSDXCUHS-I Card is backed by a lifetime limited warranty

here a APP from Sandisk called Sandisk Memory Zone

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ture=search_result&rdid=com.sandisk.mz&rdot=1

ggauthie

Oct 11, 2012
Samsung EXT SD Card Specs

I see lots of posts on class 10 issues, but just as many saying it works great. Also many saying stick with class 6. But what I can't seem to find is; What is the interface specification on the Samsung GS3?

No need to by a class 10 if the interface is a class 6.

So Does anyone know the spec from Samsung, or does someone have a list of tested speeds for all classes on the S3?

Also, I see many people buying the expensive UHS cards, don't, they actualy have an extra row of pins for high-speed mode which are not on the GS3. They do work in backward compatibility mode with the top pins (CLASS 10, 6, 4, 2 devices), but you never get the speed burst.

Reactions: rollinrollinrollin

nsx280ps

Oct 21, 2011
I too jumped on the bandwagon for a Class 10 64gb Sandisk about 2 weeks ago when there was the $43 deal with Amazon.. First thing I did was format it to FAT 32. About 5 days ago card started acting strange. It would unmount itself and I would have to reboot. Lost all my data, thankfully I have it all backed up. Reformatted it to FAT32, tried again, same thing the next day.

Ended up just returning it to Amazon, back to my Sandisk 32gb Class 4. Honestly cant tell the difference in speed. And I still got 13GB left on my 32, just got the 64 coz I couldnt pass up the deal. Anyway, Ive used this 32GB for a long time even when I had my Arc S and never had any issues.

thirtyisntdanu20

Jan 8, 2009
DMV
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I've been experiencing issues with my sandisk 32 gb as well...I'm on my 2nd card seeing as the first one stopped working completely. Now I'm it keeps telling me I need to reformat my card grrr

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

jonny68

Mar 27, 2010
Dublin
Anyone any decent links (not USA) for Micro SD cards in Europe or who ship to Europe as amazon.com don't.

AkumaX

Feb 25, 2008
PSA RE: SanDisk 32GB/64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I

IF OWN THIS SANDISK 32GB OR 64GB C10 UHS-I AND YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH THIS CARD
OR IF YOU WANT TO RECLAIM YOUR 16MB BACK SEE THIS POST!

This applies to the SanDisk Mobile Ultra 30MB/s 32GB or 64GB Class 10 UHS-I cards (the Class 6 cards did not have this issue (I believe)
To everyone - you may have a problem with this SanDisk C10 card in your Android device (especially the Galaxy 7.7 and S2).
Not because its C10, not because its UHS-I, but because of SanDisk's making 2 partitions.
edit: it may be that both the 32GB and 64GB C10 cards both have 2 partitions. you may have to do this for the 32GB C10 card also.

The old 64GB C6 card just had 1 partition, one large 59.48GB (after format) drive

After further inspection of the C10 card, I found out that SanDisk stupidly added in an offset of 16MB at the beginning of the card
(which might house that weird secure stuff that SanDisk has, but not necessary).
I'll post up a screen shot (and a formal thread of this problem later)

Basically, in order to get rid of it: (in Windows)
- Press Start
- type "partition", and the link "Create and format hard disk partitions" should pop up
(alternatively, you can just type diskmgmt.msc)

Disk Management will load up at this point. You should see a list of all the drives you have.
- Find your 64GB MicroSDXC. You should see that it's divided into 2 sections, one 16MB "empty" partition, and one 59.45GB exFAT partition
- Normally you could just Right Click on the partition and delete the partition to combine the empty space, but Disk Management won't let you do it in this case.

Now, in order to format your drive so it's 1 whole piece:

- Go to start, type in cmd
- Right click on cmd, and select "run as Administrator"
- command line will start w/ Admin privileges

Here, you need to run a program called DiskPart. It helps you "clean" hard drives that have many partitions that aren't normally accessible.
- from cmd line, type diskpart
- a new command line program will start
- here, type "list", it will show you a list of commands.
- type "list disk", find out which disk is your 64GB micro (mine happens to be disk 8)
- type "select disk #" (# is your disk you want for cleaning)
- disk # will be selected.
Very important: Make sure you have the right disk!
- If you are sure, type in the word "clean". This will completely wipe out the disk that was selected.

after that, you're done, you can exit DiskPart/cmd.

Go back to Disk Management, and now you can see that the whole drive is unallocated.

At this point, you can format your drive (using your Android device or Windows, to FAT32 or exFAT) and it will use up all the space (59.45GB + 16MB = 59.47GB?, lol)

Attachments

• 64gbc10problem.jpg
    64gbc10problem.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,315
  • diskpart.jpg
    diskpart.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,318
  • 64gbfixed.jpg
    64gbfixed.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,289
Last edited:

i_guana

Nov 4, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
I just purchased a MicroCenter brand 32gb microSD for my S3. I went ahead and did a format using the phone. Afterwards, I removed the card and plugged it directly to my PC and started copying my data from my old 16gb to the new one. After an hour or so it was done so I put it back in my phone. The card mounted fine and all my data was accessible. Didn't think there was a problem until I tried to move my camera media to the new card. My phone tells me that I can't move any files to the card. I then tried to delete something from the card and it wouldn't let me do that either. I even tried changing permissions to random files and guess what, it won't let me. So basically my card is acting like it's read- only even though permissions show otherwise. I thought I did everything by the book so what could have caused this? I don't want to have to back everything off the card and redo the whole process again as I just don't have any more time (hours) to waste on this. Please help!

Contacted Sandisk. This is what I got from there,

Dear Venkatesh,

Thanks for emailing SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

We understand that the card is working with the computer but unmounts itself when used with the Samsung mobile. As discussed in previous email, we are facing compatibility issues of Class 10 Mobile Ultra cards with the Samsung mobiles. In this case, we would request you to contact Samsung to check if phone's firmware is compatible with Class 10 cards or it requires an update.

For further inquiries, you can contact us back. Or call us directly at 1800 102 2055 Monday to Saturday 10:30AM to 7:30PM

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk's products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/forums to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,
Matt S.
SanDisk Technical Support

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PSA RE: SanDisk 32GB/64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I

IF OWN THIS SANDISK 32GB OR 64GB C10 UHS-I AND YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH THIS CARD

This applies to the SanDisk Mobile Ultra 30MB/s 32GB or 64GB Class 10 UHS-I cards (the Class 6 cards did not have this issue (I believe)
    To everyone - you may have a problem with this SanDisk C10 card in your Android device (especially the Galaxy 7.7 and S2).
    Not because its C10, not because its UHS-I, but because of SanDisk's making 2 partitions.
    edit: it may be that both the 32GB and 64GB C10 cards both have 2 partitions. you may have to do this for the 32GB C10 card also.

The old 64GB C6 card just had 1 partition, one large 59.48GB (after format) drive

After further inspection of the C10 card, I found out that SanDisk stupidly added in an offset of 16MB at the beginning of the card
    (which might house that weird secure stuff that SanDisk has, but not necessary).

- Press Start
    - type "partition", and the link "Create and format hard disk partitions" should pop up

Disk Management will load up at this point. You should see a list of all the drives you have.
    - Find your 64GB MicroSDXC. You should see that it's divided into 2 sections, one 16MB "empty" partition, and one 59.45GB exFAT partition
    - Normally you could just Right Click on the partition and delete the partition to combine the empty space, but Disk Management won't let you do it in this case.

Here, you need to run a program called DiskPart. It helps you "clean" hard drives that have many partitions that aren't normally accessible.
    - type "list disk", find out which disk is your 64GB micro (mine happens to be disk 8)
    - If you are sure, type in the word "clean". This will completely wipe out the disk that was selected.

Go back to Disk Management, and now you can see that the whole drive is unallocated.

At this point, you can format your drive (using your Android device or Windows, to FAT32 or exFAT) and it will use up all the space (59.45GB + 16MB = 59.47GB?, lol)
    The difference between the sdhc cards and the sdxc cards is that the xc are intended to be used on usb3 systems so that they can take advantage of the speed. This is important when you are loading the card with your music library or unloading it with your photos. (and you don't do it mounted inside the phone.)

A Sandisk 64GB sdxc class ten card won't get the 30mb read speed advertised. It gets regular class 10 speed, the gs3 has no speed improvements when using this type of mcard. Here's a speed test in the phone of the Sandisk 64GB sdxc I got the other day.

IME, exfat is sensitive to power level change and anything that stalls or disrupts any read/write operation. However, if the phone says that it is damaged, just put it in to your adapter and a pc with exfat support and run chkdsk /f (with the fix options selected).

ezu9ymyh.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    64gb because MOAR IS BETTER! :D I formatted mine to FAT32 because from what I've read and experienced with my other devices, it's just safer that way. I've had issues right off the bat using exFAT on some devices (mostly Samsung) or gradually the card will become corrupted (I've lost about 3 full microsd cards full of data so far). From what I've read this is due to Samsung using a half baked implementation of exFAT. exFAT is a patent-pending, proprietary file system created by Microsoft, so if Samsung, or any other OEM wanted to use the full implementation they would have to pay licensing fees. So while you can format it to exFAT using a PC, the way Samsung devices handle it there is high chance of it getting corrupted.
    Hi. I'm getting the SanDisk 64gb class 10 tomorrow. So formatting it using the phone will make it FAT32? As previously mentioned in the thread it isn't worth formatting to exFAT, right?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    The default system as far as I know in SGS3 is exfat. Use a free downloadable tool by name mini tools and format the card to fat 32. I have a 64 GB micro sd class 10 sandisk. I have no problems using it . My 32 gb card was running out of space because of music files If you are getting a new card you can do a surface test with the tool i mentioned above so that you know whether it has any defective sectors. It does take some time though.
    I've been using the 64GB C10 UHS-1 card for a little over a month now, and I've got to say I don't have any the issues people reported (corrupt).

This method seem to did the trick!

- Press Start