Tried to Root, Failed and now brick?

Search This thread
Nov 8, 2012
Hey guys, I'm new here and im really new to Android, i decided to switch over from apple because they are lame... I bought a samsung galaxy s3 AT&T 16gb, roughly 2 n a half weeks ago. I was looking at the OMEGA rom and i read that i had to be rooted first so i tried to root my phone and when i used odin, it said my phone was incompatible with the root file. I then unplugged and tried to reastart my phone but it put me at the recovery screen that says i need to plug my phone into kies for restoration, i did that and my phone wasn't detected... It wouldn't let me start the phone back up and the only thing i could do was the download transfer... I then tried to fix it by doing this ...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1506330

I open odin and used that tar file and it said everything was successful, and that my phone was reastarting, but it started up to the words Samsung and turned off... It won't power on for the reset volume up+ home + power. It starts to start up once i do those keys but not always, and if it starts up it says SAMSUNG and at the top left there is a blue text ( words ) that say something but i cant read them in time and the phone turns off.. I am still able to get into the DOWNLOAD mode but it also doesn't let me sometimes only if it's connected to the computer and when i hold volume down plus power it goes into the download mode. I'm really upset, i know it takes time to fully understand all of the techniques to flashing, roms, and other things.. Im a noob and i really hope to get my phone working again... I really would appreciate if someone could help me out.. I didn't understand how to back it up and thats where i went wrong i should of spent time figuring it out but i didnt....

My phone is AT&T sgh 1747.

Please guys, help me out. I am willing to donate a couple bux for someone that can guide me through this process of fixing my phone and putting it back to exactly stock and brand new like out of the box from att.

Update* Those blue words in the right hand corner say Recovery Booting, but then the phone kicks back off again.

Last edited:

blaker13

Jun 15, 2008
Go into download mode and flash a stock rooted ROM... use Odin. Reinstall drivers and use OEM cord to connect with if it's giving you problems. Windows 7? If you can get into download mode your not bricked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Nov 8, 2012
Go into download mode and flash a stock rooted ROM... use Odin. Reinstall drivers and use OEM cord to connect with if it's giving you problems. Windows 7? If you can get into download mode your not bricked.

Thank you for your reply, Like i said im a noob currently with roms am flashing an all that stuff could you please guide
Me step by step? I dont really understand what drivers i would have to reinstall? and yes i am on windows 7. Also what options would i set in odin to do this?

Last edited:

jethro650

Dec 17, 2010
First off are you releasing the buttons as soon as you see the screen with the blue words, if your not you should be, if you are and still get reboots I would suggest you follow the directions in the thread I will link below. The image you will need is the AT&T image ending with I747UCALG1.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426

[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter - [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel]
This will give you stock with root only. Then if you so choose you can follow the third option in that thread to install a custom recovery.

Reactions: blaker13
Nov 8, 2012
First off are you releasing the buttons as soon as you see the screen with the blue words, if your not you should be, if you are and still get reboots I would suggest you follow the directions in the thread I will link below. The image you will need is the AT&T image ending with I747UCALG1.

[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter - [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel]
This will give you stock with root only. Then if you so choose you can follow the third option in that thread to install a custom recovery.

When i click PDA it's not locating the file unless i type it in into where the file is written in the text box.. Once its in odin, i click pda load that file.. and its saying this...

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
Why is it doing this?
In that thread i dont see a stock odin tar which is says to use first. Im currently looking for a stock odin tar for my 1747 att if anyone already has it please post it.
9bhr2r.jpg

here's a screen shot.

Update.. I re- did it again.. I used this file I click on PDA and put this in pda-odin-att-stock-kernel.tar.. after that was done. the phone still keeps doing the same thing.. Im trying to use this file root69_ATT_I747UCALG1.7z but its not working?

update* I used http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1727443 and now it does the same thing but now it shows Samsung Galaxy s3, and it shows on my computer drivers installing... But then after like 30 seconds it says drivers stopped installing and the fone vibrates and i still can't get it to boot into recovery.. i can still get it into download mode... The only thing it fixed was now i can see Samsung Galaxy S3 which it didn't do until i used his file... Mine is the international gsm att 1747 model. Ugh.. I really need to get it fixed.

Last edited:

jethro650

Dec 17, 2010
You need to unzip the .7z file you download so that it ends in .tar then it should work, that is step two in the link I posted for you. Your screenshot shows you trying to flash the .7z file, BUT....did I see you mention international version....that's a completely different phone or did I read your post wrong?

Last edited:

Apocalypse487

Mar 8, 2009
Mine is the international gsm att 1747 model. Ugh.. I really need to get it fixed.

I don't think that a international model exists in AT&T's line up. I747 is a US variant. If you have AT&T stick with the AT&T forum. Using files from a different carrier can potentially brick your phone.

Plug in the oem usb cable into the phone after its connected to the computer and after the phone is in download mode. It will recognize it. You just need the right files and ODIN will do the rest.

You can fix it via Kies too, but you'll have to look in the help section. It explains how to do it. I searched in help to find the answer.

AT&T GS3
Rom: AOCP
Kernel: KT747

Nov 8, 2012
You need to unzip the .7z file you download so that it ends in .tar then it should work, that is step two in the link I posted for you. Your screenshot shows you trying to flash the .7z file, BUT....did I see you mention international version....that's a completely different phone or did I read your post wrong?
Please disregard that i don't know why i included that... It's not international i just double checked.

im trying to unzip that file now.

Nov 8, 2012

I did everything and the phone booted up and works now!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! Does this mean its fully stock now an i dont have to factory reinstall? or should i?

Apocalypse487

Mar 8, 2009
I did everything and the phone booted up and works now!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! Does this mean its fully stock now an i dont have to factory reinstall? or should i?

Use root checker from the play store to see if you're rooted. If not you'll have to try again. You are most likely in stock.

AT&T GS3
Rom: AOCP
Kernel: KT747

jethro650

Dec 17, 2010

You are fully stock(system,kernel,recovery,apps) just with root. Look in your app drawer and see if superuser or superSU is there, if not then go to the play store and get superSU, and install that to control what gets root access and what doesn't.

Last edited:

blaker13

Jun 15, 2008
Or just stay stock till you read more of the forums....;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.