[GUIDE] Pattern Lock Tweaks - Wallpaper Brightness, Pattern Lock Dots, etc.

Search This thread

papabubadio

Jul 4, 2012
Celje
There are few programs for decompiling .apk files:
- APK Manager
- APK Tool
- etc.

For images I'm using Gimp. It's almost same powerful as PhotoShop and easier to use (I rarely use PhotoShop <- dunno why :)). So I can't help you about that problem. It could be software if it's not original.

aosimon

Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for the awesome guide! Was able to modify the pattern lock dots to make it transparent for the wallpaper to show through. Fantastic!

LfcFan1977

Nov 7, 2010
Can someone point me in the correct direction? I want to make the lines wider... Not sure what to edit...

Thanx
In my GB 2.3.5, I have a feeling it is in framework.jar\smali\com\android\internal\widget\LockPatternView.smali but something like that is beyond me.

If you find the answer, please enlighten us.

iTK

Dec 24, 2011
hi, i wonder if someone can help me, i wanted to make my pattern lock transparent so i can see my live wallpaper
my framework-res.apk\res\layout xml's are different, i attached a decompiled framework-res
anyone know how to make it transparent?

Attachments

• framework-res.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 14

LfcFan1977

Nov 7, 2010
hi, i wonder if someone can help me, i wanted to make my pattern lock transparent so i can see my live wallpaper
my framework-res.apk\res\layout xml's are different, i attached a decompiled framework-res
anyone know how to make it transparent?
That phone/rom/theme is rather different to anything I've seen before but I am going to take guess at it.
In framework-res\res\layout-sw600dp\keyguard_screen_unlock_portrait.xml
Code:
Change
<com.android.internal.widget.LinearLayoutWithDefaultTouchRecepient android:orientation="vertical" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
To
<com.android.internal.widget.LinearLayoutWithDefaultTouchRecepient android:orientation="vertical" [COLOR="Red"]android:background="#00000000"[/COLOR] android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
Or
<com.android.internal.widget.LinearLayoutWithDefaultTouchRecepient android:orientation="vertical" [COLOR="Red"]android:background="@drawable/patternlock_background"[/COLOR] android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
The second option requires you to add a patternlock_background.png to res\drawable\hdpi folder before you decompile.

Failing that, I would contact the rom/theme dev/creater for assistance.

Reactions: iTK

iTK

Dec 24, 2011

AmmarGitham

Dec 30, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hi. This may be late but I thought I better share this here. I figured out how to change the width of the white path made while dragging the finger over the pattern.

Head into \framework.jar\smali\com\android\internal\widget\LockPatternView.smali

Search for this line:

Code:
iput v2, p0, Lcom/android/internal/widget/LockPatternView;->mDiameterFactor:F
Just above it must be something like:

Code:
const/high16 v2, 0x3f00
or
Code:
const v2, 0x3dcccccd
The HEX value could be anything. That is what to be changed. Now the first one was the default value for the my Gingerbread Stock ROM. The other one is from CM10. As I was making the JellyBean Theme for my ROM. I used the CM10 value. You can try different values to suit you. Make sure you know the difference between const and const/high16.

Here's the screenshot of the result:

vaklo.png

japanimation

Dec 10, 2010
Ilsan
Pattern Lock Path Color [HELP NEEDED]

Big thanks to pendo for figuring out the pattern lock path color (the white semi-transparent line when you drag a pattern, if you have "Visible Pattern" enabled in Settings.) And also to LfcFan1977 for following up on this.

Hey guys, I've got the Galaxy s3 running Android 4.1.1 and I'm trying to make the Lock Path Color transparent, but to no luck.

I decompiled the framework.jar file, but there is no smali/com/android/internal/widget/LockPatternView.smali.

Is there a PNG file that is used for the lock path? I couldn't seem to find that either.
I've also tried editing the keyguard_screen_unlock_portrait.xml file, but nothing seems to effect the Lock Path Color.....

Any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance

LfcFan1977

Nov 7, 2010
Hey guys, I've got the Galaxy s3 running Android 4.1.1 and I'm trying to make the Lock Path Color transparent, but to no luck.

I decompiled the framework.jar file, but there is no smali/com/android/internal/widget/LockPatternView.smali.

Is there a PNG file that is used for the lock path? I couldn't seem to find that either.
I've also tried editing the keyguard_screen_unlock_portrait.xml file, but nothing seems to effect the Lock Path Color.....

Any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance
In my 4.1.1 version (for Htc Desire) it is underneath LockPatternView$SavedState.smali in smali/com/android/internal/widget/.
Run a search in the entire smali folder for "LockPatternView"

If you succeed, please let us know if anything has changed within

japanimation

Dec 10, 2010
Ilsan
In my 4.1.1 version (for Htc Desire) it is underneath LockPatternView$SavedState.smali in smali/com/android/internal/widget/.
Run a search in the entire smali folder for "LockPatternView"

If you succeed, please let us know if anything has changed within

Thanks for the tip LfcFan1977, but after a lot of searching and research, it looks like there are NO dex files OR smali files in the framework.jar for my version of Android (I'm in Korea with the SHV-E210L phone Droid 4.1.1 Build JRO03C.E210LKLJLK3). There's only a META-INF folder and a preloaded-classes file in the framework.jar :crying:

What I did find was all the smali files are in framework.odex, but there's no smali/com/android/internal/widget/ OR LockPatternView$SavedState.smali :confused:

I will keep working on this and keep you posted on my progress.

If anyone else has some useful tips or advice, it would be much appreciated.

Peace...

UPDATE:

Good news
found LockPatternView.smali, LockPatternView$SavedState.smali and LockPatternView$SavedState$1.smali files in framework2.odex not framework.odex

Bad news
There is no mPathPaint:Landroid/graphics/Paint; that was in your code LfcFan1977.
I even searched for -0x1 (white) but not there.
Now I just have to find out what to edit to get what I want.

If I can't find it, I may have to post the code and ask for some help.

Last edited:

LfcFan1977

Nov 7, 2010
@japanimation

Perhaps it is because your rom is not deodexed.

I have just editted the red highlighted part in smali/com/android/internal/widget/LockPatternView.smali. and changed the draw line to black.
Code:
 .line 264
iget-object v7, p0, Lcom/android/internal/widget/LockPatternView;->mPathPaint:Landroid/graphics/Paint;

const/4 v8, [COLOR="Red"]-0x0[/COLOR]

invoke-virtual {v7, v8}, Landroid/graphics/Paint;->setColor(I)V

.line 265
iget-object v7, p0, Lcom/android/internal/widget/LockPatternView;->mPathPaint:Landroid/graphics/Paint;

const/16 v8, [COLOR="Lime"]0x80[/COLOR]

invoke-virtual {v7, v8}, Landroid/graphics/Paint;->setAlpha(I)V
I am assuming that if I edit the green highlighted part, that will change the level of opacity.

Feb 5, 2013
How do I paste my new framework file in when it keeps saying the system is read-only?

*edit* never mind, got it. be very careful renaming the file before replacing it in system/framework

it causes some... issues...

Last edited:

kopfspalter

Sep 23, 2012
Hey guys I tried to change the pattern lockscreen color from the green dots to blue dots. I changed in frameworks-res.apk the green lockscreen image to blue ones.

But when I reboot my device ... its green again.

Is there an xml file that I have to edit ??? to change the color

AmmarGitham

Dec 30, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hey guys I tried to change the pattern lockscreen color from the green dots to blue dots. I changed in frameworks-res.apk the green lockscreen image to blue ones.

But when I reboot my device ... its green again.

Is there an xml file that I have to edit ??? to change the color

No. They are images only. You must have made a mistake somewhere. Check again.

Reactions: kopfspalter

kopfspalter

Sep 23, 2012
No. They are images only. You must have made a mistake somewhere. Check again.

hmm thats curios i have tried it 5 times now. it won´t work

the images are png the image picture seize is the same. the names are the same.

under frameworks-res.apk in the folder drawable-hdpi

I am confused :X. I tried it with ninjamorph and even with apktool :/

Iam using a htc One S with a custom Rom and Android 4.1.1

Last edited:

AmmarGitham

Dec 30, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 7 Pro
hmm thats curios i have tried it 5 times now. it won´t work

the images are png the image picture seize is the same. the names are the same.

under frameworks-res.apk in the folder drawable-hdpi

I am confused :X. I tried it with ninjamorph and even with apktool :/

Iam using a htc One S with a custom Rom and Android 4.1.1

This guide was for 2.3 and below. With ICS, everything changed to holo. So find similar names which end with holo.

Reactions: kopfspalter

LfcFan1977

Nov 7, 2010
@kid1519
Sorry for the late reply.
You could try changing the font size to zero. But it might alter the alignment of other items.
I've highlighted it in green.

This thread can also be helpfull to you
[MOD] Pattern Lock screen - remove/add information

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<GridLayout android:gravity="center_horizontal" android:orientation="vertical" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
  xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
    <com.android.internal.widget.DigitalClock android:layout_gravity="right" android:id="@id/time" android:layout_marginTop="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_clockfont_top_margin" android:layout_marginRight="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_right_margin" android:layout_marginBottom="6.0dip">
        <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_clock_font_size" android:textColor="@color/lockscreen_clock_background" android:ellipsize="none" android:id="@id/timeDisplayBackground" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginBottom="6.0dip" android:singleLine="true" />
        <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_clock_font_size" android:textColor="@color/lockscreen_clock_foreground" android:ellipsize="none" android:id="@id/timeDisplayForeground" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginBottom="6.0dip" android:singleLine="true" />
        <TextView android:textSize="14.0sp" android:textColor="@color/lockscreen_clock_foreground" android:ellipsize="none" android:id="@id/am_pm" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginLeft="8.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="18.0dip" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_toRightOf="@id/timeDisplayForeground" android:layout_alignBottom="@id/timeDisplayForeground" />
    </com.android.internal.widget.DigitalClock>
    <LinearLayout android:layout_gravity="right" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_marginRight="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_right_margin">
        <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_size" android:ellipsize="marquee" android:id="@id/date" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" />
        <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_size" android:ellipsize="marquee" android:id="@id/alarm_status" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginLeft="16.0dip" android:singleLine="true" android:drawablePadding="4.0dip" />
    </LinearLayout>
    <LinearLayout android:layout_gravity="right" android:orientation="vertical" android:layout_marginRight="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_right_margin">
        <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_size" android:ellipsize="marquee" android:layout_gravity="right" android:id="@id/status1" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginRight="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_right_margin" android:singleLine="true" android:drawablePadding="4.0dip" />
        <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_size" android:ellipsize="marquee" android:layout_gravity="right" android:id="@id/dm_lock_prompt" android:visibility="gone" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginRight="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_right_margin" android:singleLine="true" android:drawablePadding="4.0dip" />
    </LinearLayout>
    <Space android:layout_gravity="fill" />
    <com.android.internal.widget.LockPatternView android:layout_gravity="bottom|center" android:id="@id/unlock_widget" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_marginLeft="8.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="0.0dip" android:layout_marginRight="8.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="0.0dip" />
    [COLOR="Red"]<LinearLayout android:gravity="center" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginBottom="12.0dip" android:layout_alignParentBottom="true">
        <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="[COLOR="Green"]0.0dip[/COLOR]" android:textColor="?textColorSecondary" android:ellipsize="marquee" android:gravity="center" android:id="@id/carrier" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:drawablePadding="4.0dip" />
        <TextView android:gravity="center" android:id="@id/carrierDivider" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginLeft="10.0dip" android:drawablePadding="2.0dip" />
        <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_size" android:textColor="?textColorSecondary" android:ellipsize="marquee" android:gravity="center" android:id="@id/carrierGemini" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginLeft="10.0dip" android:singleLine="true" android:drawablePadding="4.0dip" />
    </LinearLayout>[/COLOR]
    <LinearLayout android:gravity="center" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:weightSum="2.0" style="?android:attr/buttonBarStyle">
        <Button android:textSize="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_size" android:layout_gravity="center_horizontal" android:id="@id/emergencyCallButton" android:visibility="gone" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:text="@string/lockscreen_emergency_call" android:drawableLeft="@drawable/lockscreen_emergency_button" android:drawablePadding="0.0dip" android:layout_weight="1.0" style="?android:attr/buttonBarButtonStyle" />
        <Button android:textSize="@dimen/keyguard_lockscreen_status_line_font_size" android:layout_gravity="center_horizontal" android:id="@id/forgotPatternButton" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:text="@string/lockscreen_forgot_pattern_button_text" android:drawableLeft="@drawable/lockscreen_forgot_password_button" android:drawablePadding="0.0dip" android:layout_weight="1.0" style="?android:attr/buttonBarButtonStyle" />
    </LinearLayout>
    <include android:layout_gravity="fill" android:id="@id/transport" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="0.0dip" android:layout_column="0" android:layout_row="0" android:layout_rowSpan="4" android:layout_columnSpan="1" layout="@layout/keyguard_transport_control" />
    <TextView android:layout_gravity="fill" android:id="@id/faceLockAreaView" android:background="@color/facelock_color_background" android:visibility="invisible" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="0.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="8.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="8.0dip" android:layout_column="0" android:layout_row="4" android:layout_rowSpan="1" android:layout_columnSpan="1" />
</GridLayout>

Last edited:
Reactions: kid1519

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a summary of a Galaxy S II thread, but it should be applicable to other Android phones with a pattern lock. Some of this info is elsewhere in bits and pieces, but enough of it is new to warrant a full post. Plus it is helpful to have it all in one place.

Pattern Lock Wallpaper Brightness

Normally the pattern lock wallpaper is not as bright as the original image-- there's a dim or dark filter over it. To change this, decompile framework-res.apk (use apktool or apk_manager), and edit res\layout\keyguard_screen_unlock_portrait.xml.

On line 4, change android:background="#70000000" to android:background="@color/transparent"

Compile framework-res.apk and put it back into system\framework. Reboot and you should see that the pattern lock wallpaper is the same brightness as the original image! You can also try changing the "#70000000" to another hex color code for different effects.

Alternative by LfcFan1977:
    I am using a Htc Desire on dGB aosp rom but just to add to this thread. In the keyguard_screen_unlock_portrait.xml, I changed:
    android:background="#70000000" to android:background="@drawable/patternlock_background"
    Added an image called patternlock_background.png to the drawable-hdpi folder.

Pattern Lock Wallpaper Sizing
    Hi,
    a few month ago I investigated the size of the background image to fit the pattern dots, and after a few experiments I saw that android was doing a bit of resizing, even if the image was exactly the screen size.

What worked for me, is to make an image smaller than 800 in height (763px to be precise) and 480 in width (regular width of 1 screen). But when done editing, I stretch its height back to 800. Then, when applying within gallery ("use as..."), it stretch it back to undeformed.

I made a template in photoshop, for those who are interested, also with my actual pattern background. Still can't post urls here, so...it's hosted at mediafire.com :
    Code:
    /?fo04gtvp82y1xw1 (the template)
    /?82txu5qxdea6usb (the background)

Pattern Lock Dots

I found the pattern lock dots to be too large and dark, covering up most of the wallpaper. I wanted to make the dots smaller and more transparent so that I could see the wallpaper but still see where the dot locations are.

The images for the pattern lock dots are in the framework-res.apk, under res\drawable-hdpi. These are png images so if you just want to change the dots, you do not need to use apktool to decompile framework-res.apk. Just open framework-res.apk with 7zip and replace the images directly.

These are the images you need to edit:
    btn_code_lock_default.png -- This is the white dot in the middle
    indicator_code_lock_point_area_default.png -- This is the dark circular background of the dot

Here are some replacement png's you can try: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17806354&postcount=5
    For this one, I reduced both the white middle dot and the outer ring by 50%. Then I increased the transparency of both and made the outer ring a lighter gray.

I am not a Photoshop wiz, so I recommend Paint.NET as a free image editor that is relatively simple to use and works well with transparency.

Some other pattern lock dot images you can change (thanks ICWiener_):
    The pngs that shows up when the pattern is the wrong one :
    indicator_code_lock_point_area_red.png (the circle around)
    indicator_code_lock_drag_direction_red_up.png (the arrow showing the direction)

And if you use "visible pattern" in the options, these are the green ones :
    indicator_code_lock_point_area_green.png
    indicator_code_lock_drag_direction_green_up.png
    btn_code_lock_touched.png (the small dot in the center, touched version)

Pattern Lock Clock font

The clock font on the pattern lock screen is Clockopia.ttf located in /system/fonts. Replacing this file will replace the font. You can also use the Font Changer app, available on XDA or Market: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=874658 (You'll find Clockopia in the "Advanced" tab of Font Changer.)

However, simply replacing Clockopia with a normal font results in placement issues. This thread on Rootzwiki gives a good description of the Clockopia alignment problem and how to fix it. Basically, use a font editor to replace the glyphs in the Clockopia.ttf with the glyphs from your favorite font.

As an example, here is a Roboto font replacement for Clockopia, where I replaced each of the Clockopia glyphs with the ones from Roboto. This font now aligns perfectly on the pattern lockscreen.

Pattern Lock Path Color [HELP NEEDED]

Big thanks to pendo for figuring out the pattern lock path color (the white semi-transparent line when you drag a pattern, if you have "Visible Pattern" enabled in Settings.) And also to LfcFan1977 for following up on this.

Decompile framework.jar and look in smali/com/android/internal/widget/LockPatternView.smali and look for a line like this
    Code:
        iget-object v2, p0, Lcom/android/internal/widget/LockPatternView;->mPathPaint:Landroid/graphics/Paint;

const/4 v3, -0x1
    The "-0x1" is what you'd want to change. That's white. You should be able to just set any hex value you want.

I could only get black 0x0 or white -0x1 until I changed it to the following:
    Code:
        .line 266
        iget-object v2, p0, Lcom/android/internal/widget/LockPatternView;->mPathPaint:Landroid/graphics/Paint;

const/4 v3, [COLOR="Red"]0x0[/COLOR]

invoke-virtual {v2, v3}, Landroid/graphics/Paint;->setColor(I)V

.line 267

const/16 v3, [COLOR="Red"]0x0[/COLOR]

invoke-virtual {v2, v3}, Landroid/graphics/Paint;->setAlpha(I)V
    Which gave me full transparency. :D

Sample Pattern Lock Screen

Here is a nice example of a custom pattern lock screen by LfcFan1977.

It would be great to see some wallpapers that incorporate the pattern lock into their design. There could be some pretty cool ideas by mixing a pattern lock wallpaper with custom pattern dots and lines.
    Hi. This may be late but I thought I better share this here. I figured out how to change the width of the white path made while dragging the finger over the pattern.

Head into \framework.jar\smali\com\android\internal\widget\LockPatternView.smali

Search for this line:

Code:
    iput v2, p0, Lcom/android/internal/widget/LockPatternView;->mDiameterFactor:F
    Just above it must be something like:

Code:
    const/high16 v2, 0x3f00
    or
    Code:
    const v2, 0x3dcccccd
    The HEX value could be anything. That is what to be changed. Now the first one was the default value for the my Gingerbread Stock ROM. The other one is from CM10. As I was making the JellyBean Theme for my ROM. I used the CM10 value. You can try different values to suit you. Make sure you know the difference between const and const/high16.

Here's the screenshot of the result:

vaklo.png

Editing the Text / Information on the Pattern Lock Screen

Thanks to byrong for putting together a detailed reference on editing the various text elements on the pattern lock screen: [MOD] Pattern Lock screen - remove/add information Check out his thread for a great graphic on what parts of the XML match up with the various text elements.

To edit the text, decompile framework-res.apk (use apktool or apk_manager), and edit res\layout\keyguard_screen_unlock_portrait.xml.

In my case, I wanted to just add an extra line to the pattern lock screen to give my contact info, in case I lost my phone and somebody wanted to return it to me. So I just added an extra LinearLayout text block underneath the pattern lock dots, with smaller font size for a cleaner look.

Here is my change highlighted in red:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <RelativeLayout android:id="@id/patternlockscreenwallpaper_root" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
      xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
        <com.android.internal.widget.LinearLayoutWithDefaultTouchRecepient android:gravity="center_horizontal" android:orientation="vertical" android:background="@color/transparent" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent">
            <RelativeLayout android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content">
                <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:ellipsize="marquee" android:gravity="bottom|right|center" android:id="@id/carrier" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginTop="6.0dip" android:layout_marginRight="8.0dip" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_toRightOf="@id/time" android:layout_alignParentTop="true" android:layout_alignParentRight="true" />
                <com.android.internal.widget.DigitalClock android:id="@id/time" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginLeft="20.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="15.0dip" android:layout_alignParentLeft="true" android:layout_alignParentTop="true">
                    <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="56.0sp" android:ellipsize="none" android:gravity="bottom" android:id="@id/timeDisplay" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginBottom="6.0dip" android:singleLine="true" android:shadowColor="#c0000000" android:shadowDx="0.0" android:shadowDy="0.0" android:shadowRadius="3.0" />
                    <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="18.0sp" android:ellipsize="none" android:gravity="bottom" android:id="@id/am_pm" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_marginLeft="4.0dip" android:singleLine="true" android:shadowColor="#c0000000" android:shadowDx="0.0" android:shadowDy="0.0" android:shadowRadius="3.0" />
                </com.android.internal.widget.DigitalClock>
                <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:id="@id/date" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginLeft="24.0dip" android:layout_below="@id/time" />
            </RelativeLayout>
            <View android:id="@id/divider" android:background="@drawable/divider_horizontal_dark" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="1.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="8.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="8.0dip" />
            <LinearLayout android:gravity="left" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginLeft="12.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="0.0dip">
                <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="18.0sp" android:id="@id/status1" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:drawablePadding="4.0dip" />
                <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="18.0sp" android:id="@id/statusSep" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginLeft="5.0dip" android:layout_marginRight="5.0dip" />
                <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="18.0sp" android:id="@id/status2" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:drawablePadding="4.0dip" android:layout_alignParentTop="true" />
            </LinearLayout>
            <com.android.internal.widget.LockPatternView android:id="@id/lockPattern" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="0.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="2.0dip" android:layout_weight="1.0" android:aspect="@string/lock_pattern_view_aspect" />
            [COLOR="Red"]<LinearLayout android:gravity="center_horizontal" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginLeft="0.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="0.0dip">
                <TextView android:textAppearance="?textAppearanceMedium" android:textSize="14.0sp" android:text="If found, please contact me at xxxxx@xxxxx.com" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:drawablePadding="4.0dip" />
            </LinearLayout>[/COLOR]
            <FrameLayout android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content">
                <RelativeLayout android:id="@id/footerNormal" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent">
                    <Button android:id="@id/emergencyCallAlone" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:text="@string/lockscreen_emergency_call" android:drawableLeft="@drawable/ic_emergency" android:drawablePadding="8.0dip" android:layout_centerInParent="true" style="@style/Widget.Button.Transparent" />
                </RelativeLayout>
                <LinearLayout android:gravity="center" android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/footerForgotPattern" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent">
                    <Button android:id="@id/emergencyCallTogether" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_marginLeft="4.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="4.0dip" android:layout_marginRight="2.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="4.0dip" android:text="@string/lockscreen_emergency_call" android:drawableLeft="@drawable/ic_emergency" android:drawablePadding="8.0dip" android:layout_weight="1.0" style="@style/Widget.Button.Transparent" />
                    <Button android:id="@id/forgotPattern" android:visibility="invisible" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_marginLeft="2.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="4.0dip" android:layout_marginRight="4.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="4.0dip" android:layout_weight="1.0" style="@style/Widget.Button.Transparent" />
                </LinearLayout>
            </FrameLayout>
        </com.android.internal.widget.LinearLayoutWithDefaultTouchRecepient>
    </RelativeLayout>
    Again, check out byrong's thread for more details and options.
    [Reserved for future use.]
    Sorry , got very little experience themeing JB but it is very unlikely to be a backlight setting.

It appears to me that it could be android:background="@drawable/intro_bg".
    Easiest thing would be to edit intro_bg.png found in framework-res.apk\res\drawable-xhdpi\, just make it transparent or change its colour.
    If it is that then you could probably remove the png completely by changing
    Code:
    android:background="@drawable/intro_bg"
    to
    android:background="#00000000"

EDIT
    Had a look at a intro_bg.png and I don't think it is that image, it's not transparent at all. Sorry
    I'll have another look around the framework

EDIT
    Without your exact rom or the decompiling the JB note 2 rom I have here (to examine the xml's), I found screen_overlay_bg_layer.png in framework-res.apk\res\drawable-hdpi which looks quite promising. It indexed at the moment, which makes it look completely transparent when firsted opened with Gimp but changing it to RGB gives it the opacity like the pulldown notification background seen in GB roms.
    But I think I am plucking at straws without a decompiled framework-res.apk

It's not a big deal really. It would be nice to have it brighter so I can unlock it in the sunlight.

That .png you mention is only referenced once that I can find. It is used as a background in \res\layout\keyguard_help_overlay_landscape.xml.

I have uploaded framework-res.apk here:
    HTML:
    http://www.filedropper.com/framework-res_1