Motorola Launches Official Bootloader Unlocking Tool for Android Phones

Search This thread

MDMonster

Dec 21, 2010
I really think Google plans to dump Motorola Mobility and just keep the patents. They are thinking very short term, alienate the customer base, toss a few phones out there to make it look good and when the red ink keeps flowing, sell it off.

Cheers!

I damn sure as hell wouldnt miss them. Ive owned a Captivate(Samsung), Inspire 4G amd Incredible 2(HTC), and an Iconia A100(Acer). All of those were unlocked and my sister in law gave me her Atrix 2 so now Im using motorola. I have been using this phone for about 2 weeks and hate the **** outta moto for no unlocked bootloader, it really does suck mega ass! lol

Sent from an Atrix 2 during a smurf invasion!

akshya11235

Mar 23, 2011
But I believe,
after sufficient work has been done by the people all around the place, atrix 4g turned out to be a pretty nice device.

I am not trying to compare it to stellar phones like galaxy s II or nexus series or others, but as a device, it is pretty good.

Now if Motorola decides not to support the 3rd party development, it is not the fault of this particular phone.

Because from hardware perspective it turned out to be pretty robust (except for some specific cases when you could hard brick your phone)

vertigo_2_20

Aug 17, 2011
Email to Moto

I just shot an email to Motorola in regards to this. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone to send them a message indicating their frustration with their idiotic decisions lately.

"You guys seriously need to get off your asses and add an unlock tool for the Photon 4G bootloader. You've already given a big F U to your customers who bought this phone believing your promises of an update, the least you can do is give us the power to take control of our phones that we paid a lot of money for so we can do the update ourselves that you've proven too incompetent to do. You've pretty much guaranteed I'll never buy another one of your phones, which is a shame because I was seriously considering one of the Maxx series, and I know a lot of others feel the same way, but the longer you maintain control over our phones, further denying us an update, the more customers you are going to anger and make permanent enemies. Not only will I no longer buy any of your phones, but I have been recommending them to others, and that will stop immediately. I hope it was worth it."

SCFirefighter

Oct 14, 2012
Yeah that reply will get you exactly what you want. :thumbsup:

-- Sent from my DROID BIONIC on the KEXEC() enabled latest Linux kernel compiled for Key Lime Pie, with backwards compatibility.

Reactions: tejpal phalswal

Lectricblue13

Dec 10, 2012
Lowville, NY
My experience with motorola is alot of nice devices that are well put together but about the most worthless customer service ever, this bootloader unlock looks more like a stunt to try to make enthusiasts happy. I plan to buy google devices for now we'll see what happens later.

V

vctshim

samecin

May 29, 2012
Windsor
Atrix 4G

Hi I am looking for Bootloadrer Unlock method for Motorola Atrix 4G...
I have android 2.2 on it.... can you please guide me to find correct method to unlock bootloader and root that phone so i can install CM10 on it.

jrubins

Jan 28, 2013
Just stumbled across this thread. Great news, but comes a bit too late, esp seeing as we've already overcome the bootloader roadblock months ago.

ORLY? Can you point the way for me? I've been patiently (read: with great annoyance) waiting for the bootloader unlock for my photon 4g. I'm so sick of this BS that I'm going to iOS at upgrade time. I own the f***ing phone, I'd like to be able to put on the updated OS, since jellybean is supposedly so much better than 2.3.

Any help would be appreciated.

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
ORLY? Can you point the way for me? I've been patiently (read: with great annoyance) waiting for the bootloader unlock for my photon 4g. I'm so sick of this BS that I'm going to iOS at upgrade time. I own the f***ing phone, I'd like to be able to put on the updated OS, since jellybean is supposedly so much better than 2.3.

Any help would be appreciated.

For the atrix, you need the program rsd, you need the correct pudding sbf file for your phone (pudding for att, ihop for non att).

Put the phone into rsd mode, flash the sbf file to your phone. Then put the phone into fastboot mode. Type in fastboot oem unlock it will display txt and a id number for your phone. Retype the command with the id and your bootloader is unlocked.

Upgrading to 4.0 or higher is possible, but understand this, nothing will be 100% stable without proper drivers from moto or a dev'd kernel. The request has been made to moto to release the drivers or a completed kernel. There are devs working on developing the kernel.

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

AnotherBill

Oct 12, 2012
For the atrix, you need the program rsd, you need the correct pudding sbf file for your phone (pudding for att, ihop for non att).

Put the phone into rsd mode, flash the sbf file to your phone. Then put the phone into fastboot mode. Type in fastboot oem unlock it will display txt and a id number for your phone. Retype the command with the id and your bootloader is unlocked.

Upgrading to 4.0 or higher is possible, but understand this, nothing will be 100% stable without proper drivers from moto or a dev'd kernel. The request has been made to moto to release the drivers or a completed kernel. There are devs working on developing the kernel.

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

This works for some but for others it's not this easy. Motorola's last update earlier last year perma-locked the bootloaders for many. So far, that lock has not been broken.

lbarouf

Apr 16, 2007
This works for some but for others it's not this easy. Motorola's last update earlier last year perma-locked the bootloaders for many. So far, that lock has not been broken.

Then, how would a vanilla device be restored if Motorola has locked the bootloader for good? Only using this RSD software? Seems a bit odd if the device can't be restored to factory anymore, no?

AnotherBill

Oct 12, 2012
I'm sure there is a way and RSD may work to essentially restore the device. I'm unfortunately not that well versed in the limitations of RSD especially when the boot loader is locked, it's just been widely accepted and well known that one of the last updates made such a change as to relock the device and has so far been unbroken (that I'm aware of.)

As for Motorola's, or AT&T's for that matter, motivation to keep the device locked; this is easy as it's purely driven by money. A locked device gives greater control over the phone by the carrier and a network locked phone means that the user is locked into whatever service it's tied to. Both only benefit the carrier.

It is debatable but it is likely many of the decisions people associate with the manufacturer are really carrier demands. AT&T has a very clearly documented history of monopolism so it is easy to pin on them a simple desire to control the users through controlling the market and this means locking everything down.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

ares93

Dec 17, 2008
Stockholm
I'm sure there is a way and RSD may work to essentially restore the device. I'm unfortunately not that well versed in the limitations of RSD especially when the boot loader is locked, it's just been widely accepted and well known that one of the last updates made such a change as to relock the device and has so far been unbroken (that I'm aware of.)

As for Motorola's, or AT&T's for that matter, motivation to keep the device locked; this is easy as it's purely driven by money. A locked device gives greater control over the phone by the carrier and a network locked phone means that the user is locked into whatever service it's tied to. Both only benefit the carrier.

It is debatable but it is likely many of the decisions people associate with the manufacturer are really carrier demands. AT&T has a very clearly documented history of monopolism so it is easy to pin on them a simple desire to control the users through controlling the market and this means locking everything down.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Ok, you post makes a lot of sense. But if AT&T is the big bad villain behind this, how come international devices are permalocked as well? How come mine, which is an unbranded, non carrier locked, 3 Sweden device is permalocked? AT&T has no jurisdiction whatsoever in Europe. Don't blame everything on AT&T. Yes, most of their business practices are far from kosher, and AT&T is screwing over you guys in the US. But Motorola is doing it willingly to the rest of us. AT&T's demands are nothing more than recommendations that Motorola is willing to force on everyone, not just AT&T users, like a loyal lapdog.

Top Liked Posts