[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
CF-Auto-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root. In essence, it does nothing but install and enable SuperSU on your system, so apps can gain root access.

This thread serves as a central discussion and request thread for CF-Auto-Root. If you have questions about a specific CF-Auto-Root binary for a specific device, please go the relevant thread listed on the CF-Auto-Root homepage.

Donate
CF-Root and CF-Auto-Root have been available for many devices (over 50 different models !) and have clocked over 9 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that include CF-Root (non-Auto) kernels. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every user had donated me $1...

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Stock recovery (note that any other recovery you may have installed will be overwritten !)

What's the difference between CF-Auto-Root and CF-Root, and/or other root solutions ?
CF-Root (non-Auto) are manually built rooted kernels and/or flashables that usually provide more than "just root". CF-Auto-Root is built on an automated system that I am constantly improving that takes a stock recovery image and returns an automated rooting packages. These packages are designed to install and enable SuperSU on your device, so apps can gain root access, and nothing more.

The difference with many other rooting solutions is that those will often install a custom recovery for you (I am personally moving away from custom kernels and recoveries, for various reasons), while with CF-Auto-Root you will end up with a stock recovery again.

Not included - custom recovery
A custom recovery like CWM or TWRP is not included.

Not included - Triangle Away
Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Requirements and requests

The the CF-Auto-Root project currently supports the following base boards:

- Samsung Exynos4
- Texas Instruments Omap4
- Qualcomm MSM8660

Other boards will probably be added soon. Currently only Samsung devices are supported, but I'm looking to expand into other devices soon as well.

To be able to make CF-Auto-Root for a device:

- The device needs to have (and use) separate kernel and recovery partitions
- The kernel and recovery format must be the boot.img standard (no zImage support)
- I need the recovery.img file, so post it in this thread if you need support for a new device :)

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Devices and threads

The full list of all supported devices is always available and always current at the CF-Auto-Root homepage.

Most supported devices have their own threads here on XDA, you can find the thread for your device in the device listing on the CF-Auto-Root homepage as well.

I will not be maintaining a secondary list in this post, as it would be double work.

Last edited:

RegueiraMD

Feb 3, 2011
Florianópolis
Newbie Question

First of all, wasn't sure if it was allowed to post on this thread (it's odd, 4 days old and no post), as I've seen nothing saying I shouldn't, here I go.

Newbie question here:

1) Is it possible to flash CWM Recovery with this root?
2) I'm willing to flash it, should I then just root using CF-Root(non-auto) as it already comes with CWM?
3) The version of CWM on CF-Root (non-auto) is already outdated, would it be a problem if I just flashed the new version over it with ODIN (download it from clockworkmod.com/rommanager and flash)?

I ask this because I want to keep my phone as stock as possible, but want to be able to perform a Nandroid backup and flash some ZIPs (if there's a way to perferm/restore Nandroid backups and flash ZIPs w/o CWM please tell me how :) )

Thanks.

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
First of all, wasn't sure if it was allowed to post on this thread (it's odd, 4 days old and no post), as I've seen nothing saying I shouldn't, here I go.

Newbie question here:

2) I'm willing to flash it, should I then just root using CF-Root(non-auto) as it already comes with CWM?
3) The version of CWM on CF-Root (non-auto) is already outdated, would it be a problem if I just flashed the new version over it with ODIN (download it from clockworkmod.com/rommanager and flash)?

I ask this because I want to keep my phone as stock as possible, but want to be able to perform a Nandroid backup and flash some ZIPs (if there's a way to perferm/restore Nandroid backups and flash ZIPs w/o CWM please tell me how :) )

This thread is pretty much quiet because most of the supported devices have their own threads ;)

(1) Root is a separate thing from CWM. CF-Auto-Root does not include CWM, but if your device has a CWM build you can certainly flash it. The "ROM Manager" app will be able to install it if your device has an "officially" supported CWM build from Koush himself.
(2) If a CF-Root (non-auto) is available then it's probably outdated. I do not maintain any CWM builds anymore, but others do for most devices, so you should be able to find one.
(3) You can do that no problem.

I use Mobile ODIN for flashing ZIPs, but it does not do backup/restores (yet *wink*). For my other backup needs, I use Titanium Backup.

But to each their own. Some people prefer CWM, some people prefer TWRP, some people like me prefer stock so we can keep the counters at 0/official, etc. CF-Auto-Root keeps all our options open. It doesn't prevent you from anything, though it does also not include anything like that.

RegueiraMD

Feb 3, 2011
Florianópolis
This thread is pretty much quiet because most of the supported devices have their own threads ;)

(1) Root is a separate thing from CWM. CF-Auto-Root does not include CWM, but if your device has a CWM build you can certainly flash it. The "ROM Manager" app will be able to install it if your device has an "officially" supported CWM build from Koush himself.
(2) If a CF-Root (non-auto) is available then it's probably outdated. I do not maintain any CWM builds anymore, but others do for most devices, so you should be able to find one.

I use Mobile ODIN for flashing ZIPs, but it does not do backup/restores (yet *wink*). For my other backup needs, I use Titanium Backup.

But to each their own. Some people prefer CWM, some people prefer TWRP, some people like me prefer stock so we can keep the counters at 0/official, etc. CF-Auto-Root keeps all our options open. It doesn't prevent you from anything, though it does also not include anything like that.

I thought this should be the reason, as I still can't post on dev's forum I found this topic where I can post :D

Thank you very much for you quick reply.
after you posted I found out Online Nandroid Backup on play store, so I'm going to use it to create nandroid backups, Mobile ODIN to flash ZIPs (don't worry, I'll buy you a beer :) ), and galaxy S3's stock recovery for restoring nandroid backups (guess this is possible).

again, thank you for your reply :)

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Chainfire, will there be a CF-Auto-Root implementation for the Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000?
:)

No, as it doesn't have a separate kernel/recovery partition, my automated system can't work with it. I am still considering manually creating a CF-Auto-Root-like project for these devices (S2, Note1, older Tabs) but not sure yet if I will.

vipsavior

Dec 25, 2008
Lost
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
Support for SC-02E Note 2 ?

- Samsung Exynos4
- Qualcomm MSM8660

Other boards will probably be added soon. Currently only Samsung devices are supported, but I'm looking to expand into other devices soon as well.

- The kernel and recovery format must be the boot.img standard (no zImage support)
- I need the recovery.img file, so post it in this thread if you need support for a new device :)

Hello chain fire
I was wondering will you be able to support the Docomo SG Note 2 SC-02E version if so the image links are below
I looked hi and low in japanese forums ,but no luck I also tried the international note 2 version of the root ,but no dice . If there is any more info you need let me know .I have no problem of adding a donation for your service .I paid for your apps before and they work great .

BOOT.IMG
Recovery.img

CPU: Samsung Exynos 4412 Quad-core 1.6GHz
GPU: Mali-400MP
RAM: 2GB
ROM: 32GB

Last edited:

Grant Barker

Apr 14, 2008
www.thecomputermouse.com
+1 for the SC-02E, please.

about-device.jpg

Dreamweaver

Jan 14, 2009
Hamburg
I have a question concerning AutoRoot and CWM.

Now I have a Stock-Rom with AutoRoot on my GT-I9300. If I want to make backups with CWM I have to install Rom Manager and install the CWM manually. Okay. But a very important thing is: can I change back to CF AutoRoot with flashing via Odin/Mobile Odin? Or will I loose my data?

Thanks! :good:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Hello chain fire
I was wondering will you be able to support the Docomo SG Note 2 SC-02E version if so the image links are below
I looked hi and low in japanese forums ,but no luck I also tried the international note 2 version of the root ,but no dice . If there is any more info you need let me know .I have no problem of adding a donation for your service .I paid for your apps before and they work great .

+1 for the SC-02E, please.

Try this one, let me know if it works:
http://download.chainfire.eu/285/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-sc02e-sc02e.zip

Now I have a Stock-Rom with AutoRoot on my GT-I9300. If I want to make backups with CWM I have to install Rom Manager and install the CWM manually. Okay. But a very important thing is: can I change back to CF AutoRoot with flashing via Odin/Mobile Odin? Or will I loose my data?

Simply flashing AutoRoot does not wipe data.

vipsavior

Dec 25, 2008
Lost
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
Well I tried 8x today but no dice. 4x manual recovery and 4x with auto reboot with a clean stock rom with a full factory flash in odin.I practice the recovery mode with the stock rom and i can get it everytime ,but when i apply the cf auto root it seems there is no recovery.I tried for about 30 mins to get in recovery but nothing.The phone will boot normal you just can't get recovery no root or SUbinary.i also did not get the red android. I tried the international version of the root with cwm and everything installed fine .i have cwmr installed cf SU ,but i still get no binary installed.

Sent from my SC-02E using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Grant Barker

Grant Barker

Apr 14, 2008
www.thecomputermouse.com
Well I tried 8x today but no dice. 4x manual recovery and 4x with auto reboot with a clean stock rom with a full factory flash in odin.I practice the recovery mode with the stock rom and i can get it everytime ,but when i apply the cf auto root it seems there is no recovery.I tried for about 30 mins to get in recovery but nothing.The phone will boot normal you just can't get recovery no root or SUbinary.i also did not get the red android. I tried the international version of the root with cwm and everything installed fine .i have cwmr installed cf SU ,but i still get no binary installed.

Sent from my SC-02E using xda app-developers app

I just got home from work (10pm). Based on your results, I'll hold off for now and try at the weekend when I'm feeling braver and have more time to get out of trouble.
Was your procedure similar to the video posted a couple of posts up?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CF-Auto-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root. In essence, it does nothing but install and enable SuperSU on your system, so apps can gain root access.

This thread serves as a central discussion and request thread for CF-Auto-Root. If you have questions about a specific CF-Auto-Root binary for a specific device, please go the relevant thread listed on the CF-Auto-Root homepage.

Donate
    CF-Root and CF-Auto-Root have been available for many devices (over 50 different models !) and have clocked over 9 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that include CF-Root (non-Auto) kernels. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every user had donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery (note that any other recovery you may have installed will be overwritten !)

What's the difference between CF-Auto-Root and CF-Root, and/or other root solutions ?
    CF-Root (non-Auto) are manually built rooted kernels and/or flashables that usually provide more than "just root". CF-Auto-Root is built on an automated system that I am constantly improving that takes a stock recovery image and returns an automated rooting packages. These packages are designed to install and enable SuperSU on your device, so apps can gain root access, and nothing more.

The difference with many other rooting solutions is that those will often install a custom recovery for you (I am personally moving away from custom kernels and recoveries, for various reasons), while with CF-Auto-Root you will end up with a stock recovery again.

Not included - custom recovery
    A custom recovery like CWM or TWRP is not included.

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/
    Requirements and requests

- Samsung Exynos4
    - Qualcomm MSM8660

Devices and threads

The full list of all supported devices is always available and always current at the CF-Auto-Root homepage.

Most supported devices have their own threads here on XDA, you can find the thread for your device in the device listing on the CF-Auto-Root homepage as well.

I will not be maintaining a secondary list in this post, as it would be double work.

Newbie question here: