[Q] Android SDK manager not starting on Windows 8

Search This thread

kevdliu

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 4, 2011
Hello,

I can't get Android SDK manager to run on Windows 8 x64. Every time I run the executable a command prompt window flashes briefly and then nothing happens. I have tried installing both 32 and 64 bit version of JDK 1.6 and running SDK manager with admin permissions and in compatibility mode.

Any help would be appreciated

Theonew

Dec 4, 2010
Wherever I am
Hello,

I can't get Android SDK manager to run on Windows 8 x64. Every time I run the executable a command prompt window flashes briefly and then nothing happens. I have tried installing both 32 and 64 bit version of JDK 1.6 and running SDK manager with admin permissions and in compatibility mode.

It runs fine for me on Windows 8 Pro x64. The command propt window does flash, but the manager comes up soon after. I have JDK 1.7 though.

NikolayBar

Nov 14, 2012
Hello,

The same was in Windows7 64-bit for some SDK version (dont remember version number).
It was solved by switching off some windows security checking. May be this is not best solution, but works.

o0rebelious0o

Nov 15, 2010
London
Got a fix

I was having this problem too. It's caused by the PATH variables to java.exe being set incorrectly. You can modify the environment to have java_exe pointing to wherever it is C:\Windows\System32\java.exe for me or modify android.bat in tools to change set java_exe= call lib\find_java.bat if not defined java_exe goto :EOF
to this: set java_exe="D:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_07\bin\java.exe" where the path is the path to your java exe
you can then run android.bat and it works. The reason (re)installing java works is because it adds the path variables for you. They must have gotten changed/moved when I upgraded to windows 8

9xnine

Aug 6, 2010
Bellingham, WA
I'm having the same issue. Installed JDK 1.7 but still the same issue.

I have a fresh Install of W8 and am just now trying to install JDK and SDK.

Last edited:

thetheory

May 29, 2013
I also cannot launch SDK Manager

I was having this problem too. It's caused by the PATH variables to java.exe being set incorrectly. You can modify the environment to have java_exe pointing to wherever it is C:\Windows\System32\java.exe for me or modify android.bat in tools to change set java_exe= call lib\find_java.bat if not defined java_exe goto :EOF
to this: set java_exe="D:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_07\bin\java.exe" where the path is the path to your java exe
you can then run android.bat and it works. The reason (re)installing java works is because it adds the path variables for you. They must have gotten changed/moved when I upgraded to windows 8

I am having the identical problem. I try to launch SDK Manager and get a quick cmd flash and then nothing. I am on Win8 Pro with jdk 1.7.0_21.
I added c:\Windows\System32\java.exe to the path (correct on my system) but no obvious change in result. Then edited set java_exe in android.bat to "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_21\bin\java.exe" and ran the batch file, and still I just get a quick flash of the command window. My java sdk was just installed today prior to setting up the ADT Bundle for Windows. Eclipse loads with ADT, but the SDK Manager is still a no go. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

mrtoots

Aug 7, 2011
Solved my Windows 8 problem

Hi,

I have been having similar problems with Android SDK manager not starting in Windows 8. Tried altering Java paths and messing with Android.bat etc. etc. but am now convinced the problem is with the UAC of Windows 8. Why?

1) Originally installed Eclipse in a sub dir of Program Files and found that I could not edit any sub dir there (like Android.bat) because of User Access Controls (UAC)... got me thinking...

2) So re-installed Eclipse in a sub dir under my user, and bingo... SDK manager works fine now.

It is possible to disable all UAC in Win 8 Pro using secpol.msc, but I don't have Pro version and it's not in bog standard version... However, you can still edit the registry to give all apps admin privileges but seems a bit drastic to have to do this...

Reactions: Hairy Aliasan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

It runs fine for me on Windows 8 Pro x64. The command propt window does flash, but the manager comes up soon after. I have JDK 1.7 though.
    Got a fix

Thanks so much for the info I tried again with JDK 1.7 and it works now
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/bundle.html

Install the SDK and Eclipse IDE
    1.Unpack the ZIP file (named adt-bundle-<os_platform>.zip) and save it to an appropriate location, such as a "Development" directory in your home directory.

try c:\Development\
    Solved my Windows 8 problem

Hi,

I have been having similar problems with Android SDK manager not starting in Windows 8. Tried altering Java paths and messing with Android.bat etc. etc. but am now convinced the problem is with the UAC of Windows 8. Why?

1) Originally installed Eclipse in a sub dir of Program Files and found that I could not edit any sub dir there (like Android.bat) because of User Access Controls (UAC)... got me thinking...

2) So re-installed Eclipse in a sub dir under my user, and bingo... SDK manager works fine now.

It is possible to disable all UAC in Win 8 Pro using secpol.msc, but I don't have Pro version and it's not in bog standard version... However, you can still edit the registry to give all apps admin privileges but seems a bit drastic to have to do this...