FORUMS

MTP Drivers for Windows

359 posts
Thanks Meter: 165

By johno86, Senior Member on 17th November 2012, 06:28 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does anyone know where I can find the MTP drivers for the Nexus 10? I made a mistake and need to re-install it for my PC to be able to transfer files to my N10 vice versa. Any help would be much appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to johno86 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift johno86 Ad-Free
17th November 2012, 06:31 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 685

Donate to Me
More
MTP Drivers shouldn't typically be needed for Windows. If you have just standard Windows (not N or KN), MTP should be included with the OS (at least for Vista+)

N and KN versions of Windows need a Media Pack from Microsoft (free download).

Also, you could try installing the Google USB Driver from Android SDK if you haven't already; may or may not make MTP appear if it doesn't appear under normal circumstances.
The Following User Says Thank You to espionage724 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift espionage724 Ad-Free
17th November 2012, 07:37 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 803

More
version 1.5.15.0 (32 and 64 bit) from this last August:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qp9gw2i9lwbr3qb

Also the ADB interface driver if you need that:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Oth...indows-8.shtml
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EniGmA1987 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EniGmA1987 Ad-Free
17th November 2012, 08:53 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tutszania

More
Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Works now
17th November 2012, 08:56 AM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGmA1987

The Google USB driver from Android SDK doesn't work? I'm confused as to why you would need either of those drivers; thought MTP was just a standard thing in Windows, and that those drivers were specifically for ADB purposes?
17th November 2012, 09:12 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 803

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by espionage724

The Google USB driver from Android SDK doesn't work? I'm confused as to why you would need either of those drivers; thought MTP was just a standard thing in Windows, and that those drivers were specifically for ADB purposes?

IDK. Im just providing a link to the drivers that were asked for. Samsung says those are their mobile drivers so thats what I post. If the ones that come with the SDK work then no need to bother with these. For all I know they could both be the exact same thing, but the OP says his problem is fixed and things work now. So I guess they are good for something if you are having problems
17th November 2012, 09:35 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tutszania

More
Quote:

I downloaded the SDK but I couldn't find where the Google USB Driver was located. It said sdk >> extras >> google >> google_usb_driver
but I have sdk >> extras >> android >> support >> XXXXXXXXXXX
it then splits off into folders for samples, v4, v7, and v13. None of them had the usb drivers.

If you could help me find out where I can find a legitimate copy of the usb driver from the download it would be much appreciated.
What enigma posted worked after I uninstalled everything android driver related from my computer so they might have a connection?
I would still like the official google version but I just can't locate it within the sdk download.
31st December 2012, 04:39 AM |#8  
Flag trucking USA (except CA)
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:

MTP Drivers shouldn't typically be needed for Windows. If you have just standard Windows (not N or KN), MTP should be included with the OS (at least for Vista+)

N and KN versions of Windows need a Media Pack from Microsoft (free download).

Also, you could try installing the Google USB Driver from Android SDK if you haven't already; may or may not make MTP appear if it doesn't appear under normal circumstances.

keyword being 'typically', if this POS was working right, we wouldn't be in here looking for friggin drivers. there are tons of threads with people like me that cannot get MTP to work. We just want to transfer some files; why can't **** just work?

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGmA1987

the mediafire link seems to be for Samsung drivers... why would that fix a Nexus 10 (or 7 which i have)
31st December 2012, 06:07 PM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtrucker

keyword being 'typically', if this POS was working right, we wouldn't be in here looking for friggin drivers. there are tons of threads with people like me that cannot get MTP to work. We just want to transfer some files; why can't **** just work?

But with MTP drivers; you would either have OS support, or have to download Microsoft's media pack; drivers shouldn't have anything to do with MTP. If MTP doesn't "just work" then:

- Your on an unsupported OS (below Vista (such as XP); or a N/KN version of Vista+)
- If on a N/KN OS, you need the Media Pack from Microsoft (N/KN lacks the needed media features by default)
- If on Linux, you'll most likely need something to read MTP (gMTP on Ubuntu worked fine)
- You have "messed up" ADB drivers (in which case; uninstall them, and MTP should immediately become available on a supported OS; I had this happen a few times, but it wasn't too common, nor do I even know why it happened lol)
- USB port (on computer or Nexus 10), driver (on computer), or cable itself is malfunctioning in some way

As for ADB however; in order to have it with the Android SDK, you need to download the USB drivers with the SDK executable (I think it actually automatically checks itself anyway when you open the SDK for the first time). But ADB and MTP shouldn't affect one another.

I've installed Windows 7 and 8 numerous times, and even messed with Linux a bit. On 7 and 8, MTP just worked. Linux (Ubuntu) needed some program to read MTP, but worked just fine afterwards.
1st January 2013, 12:11 AM |#10  
Flag trucking USA (except CA)
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:

But with MTP drivers; you would either have OS support, or have to download Microsoft's media pack; drivers shouldn't have anything to do with MTP. If MTP doesn't "just work" then:

- Your on an unsupported OS (below Vista (such as XP); or a N/KN version of Vista+)

On windows 7HP... and it doesn't just work. Before posting above whine I had tried all the solutions that seemed even vaguely appropriate. Before installing SDK kit to apply 'fresh drivers' it would see as 'unidentified device'. After installing ADB stuff, it will see as Android device if debugging on and MTP if debugging off... BUT 'MTB' drivers do NOT install... no driver installs for MTB function.

Tried another posters work around of going to camera mode (which it will do) and moving files into the DCIM folder and moving with Astro (or some such) afterward. It worked once then kept rejecting my .avi and .mkv files because 'camera [would not like them]. Then it started letting me do it again. Also found AirDroid and WiFi File Explorer as way to accomplish file transfers.
1st January 2013, 12:56 AM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtrucker

On windows 7HP... and it doesn't just work. Before posting above whine I had tried all the solutions that seemed even vaguely appropriate.

I imagine your also on the latest Service Pack, know for a fact your not on a N/KN OS, and also have nothing intentionally blocking MTP (Group Policy Settings, Security Clients, Automatic-Tweak Programs, etc.)?

The MTP device appears whether or not my ADB drivers are installed, and whether or not Android USB Debugging is enabled. Not sure what else I could suggest to get yours working other then a fresh (non-OEM) re-install of Windows.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)