General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

cosminonofre

Nov 15, 2012
BTW, do you like the S3 mini? I don't even think they sell those in my country...
Can you give us some details of it? :))

I'll give you some details about it when I receive it. I think this will happen in 2-3 days from now :fingers-crossed:

How much did you get it for?
Also congrats & great decision :good:

Sent.... just sent!!

I got it for 99€ with a 2 year subscription of 16€/mo from my carrier (Vodafone Romania).

underyourbed

Nov 14, 2012
I've looked at the nexus 4 and I've done some research. It is not as nearly S powerful as the note 2 but I think that there may be the same amount of development going on for both of them. (Maybe more for the note because of its high specs and because its a Samsung device) :D

Sent from my UFO using telepathy :D

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
I've looked at the nexus 4 and I've done some research. It is not as nearly S powerful as the note 2 but I think that there may be the same amount of development going on for both of them. (Maybe more for the note because of its high specs and because its a Samsung device) :D

Sent from my UFO using telepathy :D

Nexus 4 is basically a beast in terms of specs, and saying dev won't be good? It is a Nexus, it WILL have good development.

"What really matters in this world, anyway?"

Reactions: andredroido

andredroido

Sep 27, 2012
Nexus 4 is basically a beast in terms of specs, and saying dev won't be good? It is a Nexus, it WILL have good development.

"What really matters in this world, anyway?"

I also believe, or at least I'm realizing that google devices are also supported by the most dev ... and in the end the thing that interests me the most!
I think I was wrong to understand ...?;)

bOyka8

Nov 15, 2012
iphone 4 replica

My last post might've been missed but I'll just ask it again.

What do you guys think is the best iphone 4s replica out there for around $200 or €150?

GooPhone, GooApple, Lizi, ... ?

I like the iphone's look (menu and phone) but I like the android OS for it's bride selection of apps.
I also would like it to be Android 4.0 , retina, 1ghz cpu, +512mb ram.

Hope someone can help me out, I already transferred the money, now I just have to choose.

despotovski01

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 1, 2011
Skopje
My last post might've been missed but I'll just ask it again.

What do you guys think is the best iphone 4s replica out there for around $200 or €150?

GooPhone, GooApple, Lizi, ... ?

I like the iphone's look (menu and phone) but I like the android OS for it's bride selection of apps.
I also would like it to be Android 4.0 , retina, 1ghz cpu, +512mb ram.

Hope someone can help me out, I already transferred the money, now I just have to choose.

Honestly, all of them are crap. Their quality is very bad, although they seem good at first glance. But if you have already paid, then go for the GooPhone. It looks like it's better than the other ones.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app

Reactions: mfsr98 and bOyka8

bOyka8

Nov 15, 2012
iphone 4 replica

Honestly, all of them are crap. Their quality is very bad, although they seem good at first glance. But if you have already paid, then go for the GooPhone. It looks like it's better than the other ones.

Aaw, thanks for the fast reply but too bad they are all crap, and yeah, some friend of mine had the W007 and it looked as it worked pretty good and on the videos too.

I just really like the looks of the iphone but I never would buy the real one as I prefer android. So I think it shall be this one?

android-sale.com/goophone-y5-retina-screen-1ghz-mt6575-processor-smartphone.html

at first I was thinking about this one

android-sale.com/gooapple-v5-plus-phone.html

deia

Nov 13, 2012
Moscow
samsung galaxy s3 has weak a battery. there is an android device that better battery than the iPhone 5? I want to try android, but with a normal battery, because iOs tired.

mfsr98

Nov 26, 2011
Porto
droid DNA or Nexus 4 ? who can help me ???
If you want more xda support then Nexus 4, if not, then go for the DNA, I think it's better (Don't forget that it's only sold on the US).
But in my opinion, I would prefer the Nexus 4 just 'cause I like it more, it's really a personal opinion matter.

iroczinoz

Jul 21, 2010
Want to buy a new phone for the wife, budget around 300 currently she has the desire but our little boy has taken ownership since his best mate is talking tom.

Needs to have
good signal strength
good wifi reception
takes nice photo's / video
not too bulky

I was set on the htc one v but after reading the issues with the signal dropouts crossed it off the list.

I am contemplating the desire x - everything seems okay with it except for the fact the video is apparently poor. How poor is the question since I have an incredible s the video is poor too, the desire's video is also poor. Then again can't have it all for a budget of around $300

What other recommendations are there I can maybe throw in an extra $100 if it is really worth it but at the end of the day something closer to $300 would be better?

I looked at the Samsung Mini s3 a little more expensive than the desire. Then the Sony Xperia P or maybe the Galaxy S2. All these phones will be over $300 though and I am not even sure she really needs the extra power or functions. Maybe just better video/photo's that is about all.

I could get a new htc desire for around $200 but is it worth it? Maybe the desire x is a better option for a hundred more?

I have the incredible s and the speaker volume is not the best, skype calls are also on the low end of volume. So hoping HTC has improved the speakers in these new ranges?

Any advice welcome, thanks.

djbosanac

If you want more xda support then Nexus 4, if not, then go for the DNA, I think it's better (Don't forget that it's only sold on the US).
But in my opinion, I would prefer the Nexus 4 just 'cause I like it more, it's really a personal opinion matter.

Are HTC's less supported on XDA? because both are android.
Yes i know they are not at sale in the netherlands. Uhm prefer to buy it via via in the USA, and send it to holland. But specifications about the phones witch one is better? I saw a vs to note2, and the droid wins easy of it. I know HTC SENSE is a very big application heavy so smoothnes is requierd..

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Are HTC's less supported on XDA? because both are android.
Yes i know they are not at sale in the netherlands. Uhm prefer to buy it via via in the USA, and send it to holland. But specifications about the phones witch one is better? I saw a vs to note2, and the droid wins easy of it. I know HTC SENSE is a very big application heavy so smoothnes is requierd..

I don't know about HTC, but Nexus 4 is, well, a Nexus device, so it is almost a rule that it get a lot of developement.

jugg1es

May 29, 2012
I think HTC gets quite a lot from xda, I've a ds and it does ok, and from what I've seen most of the other devices do ok despite the locked bootloader

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. ~Wernher Von Braun

mfsr98

Nov 26, 2011
Porto
HTC gets a lot from XDA, but I bet that doesn't get as much as the Nexus 4 will have. IMO, on XDA the Nexus devices are considered WAY better because of the willing of development from Google and easily unlocked bootloaders, and so on. Of course probably the DNA will get lots of support here, but I think it won't have so much as the One X for example, because it's only avaiable on the US.

Izee Sulz

Aug 14, 2011
Medium Sized Android Phone

I'm looking right now for a medium sized android (4.5 - 4.3 inch) phone to replace my broken GS2 :(

I don't care about OEM skins (Sense etc.) since I will probably be flashing CM10 as soon as I get it.

It must be rootable and have some developer support for it.

I would love a quad core device with a high resolution screen but sadly those kind of specs only come on 4.7 inch+ superphones.

Battery life is not too inportant as long as it lasts a days worth.

I am in the UK so cannot get the MIUI Mi two unfortunately.

So far only the HTC One S has caught my eye

What else is out there? Thank you for reading

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    I didn't see a notification for your reply (well, I guess it doesn't send one if you only make an edit) - but thank you.

I have the device now, still in box, I haven't touched it yet. I want to make 100% sure that I have one of the "correct" models that is fully unlocked and and whatever else. How can I be absolutely certain?

On the box it has:
    SKU: GA03694-US
    Model: GWKK3

Got it from amazon.ca (shipped and sold by amazon.ca, as I think I mentioned), and I'm in canada (obviously).
    I'm not sure if looking up the IMEI would give any more information (that would identify it as an unlocked model).

Edit. Forgot, I checked here for any info on if it's an unlocked model. No mention.: https://www.phonemore.com/specs/google/pixel-7a/gwkk3/

Maybe I should've posted this in the Pixel 7a forum...
    Thank you.
    That's a North American unlocked variant, all good :) you should be just fine. There are lots of great ROMs for the 7a.
    Ok. Thanks so much for your help, and the speedy reply too, @traman124. I appreciate it.
    I might actually try out the "stock" software first. I'm thinking about calyx os. But now you have me wondering what else might be out there. So I'll have a search around to see what there is. Maybe I can learn how to better search here on the xda forums for that, haha.

Thanks again.
    You're welcome! I love EvolutionX, LOS, and Calyx for now but there are lots of others :)
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)