By ALD3, Senior Member on 6th November 2012, 05:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st November 2012, 01:36 PM |#41  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Tutorial Internal Storage/Sdcard2 Swap [Solved]
Here is the solution for the Internal Storage/Sdcard2 Swap for the Nabi 2

Lets quickly go over what we all have learned over these past 2+ weeks about the Nabi 2 and its Vold.fstab file and mount points. We realized the Nabi's vold.fstab file does NOT declare the "Internal Storage" mount point. This causes us a HUGE problem when it comes to trying to swap the "Internal Storage" and the "Sdcard2" mount points obviously because we cant just go into the vold.fstab file and edit a few lines of code to change the mount points like we would in just about every other tablet and phone there is The Nabi2 also does not show the "Internal Storage" mount when we run mount commands in a adb shell or Androids Terminal Emulator... So with that said I am almost 100% sure we cant swap the mount points using the vold.fstab file or editing vaules in .rc files and reflashing them. So that leaves us with using the script method at boot! So with hours of research I came across a Directory Binding Tool that another fellow xda developer made for almost the same reasons so I just took it and made some changes to it so we can use it with the Nabi 2. All credit for development of the tool goes to member "slig"!

How to Bind "Sdcard" to "Sdcard2" with the Directory Binding Tool

What we are going to do since we cant swap the mount points via vold.fstab/.rc files we are going to bind key ICS (4.0.4) system files to the "sdcard2"! This is the same thing as swaping the "Internal Storage" and "Sdcard2" because the Nabi's "Internal Storage" is really located on the "Sdcard". So we are going to bind the system files which are used when you install a new App or when a new App wants to download additional files to the "Sdcard2"! So instead of occupying the little space there is on the "Sdcard" after completing this guide it will install on the "sdcard2"

1. Download the DirectoryBind Tool to your Nabi from here [Download Now]
2. Install the apk to your tablet
3. After installation is complete open the "Directory Bind" app
4. At the bottom left corner make sure it says "Root Access Ok" in green
5. Then at the bottom right corner click the button so it reads "On"
6. Click on the "Settings Button" then click "Preferences"
7. In Preferences make sure the following is checked: Bind on boot, Handle USB connection, Alert on unbind fail, and Alternate dbase mgmt! Nothing else should be checked off!
8. Now click the back button once to go back to the app's main screen
9. Click the "Settings Button" then click "Add new entry"
10. You should now see 2 text fields one named "Enter source (data) path" and another named "Enter mount (target) path"... In the "Enter source (data) path" field enter the following "/mnt/sdcard2/" then go down to "Enter mount (target) path" field and enter the following "/sdcard/Android/" Then make sure "Transfer files from target to data" is NOT checked and click the ADD button.
11. You should now be back at the app's main screen but now you should see your first Directory Bind script there if you did everything correctly.
12. Now click the "Settings Button" again and click "Add new entry"
13. You now should see those 2 text fields again... This time in "Enter source (data) path" enter the following "/mnt/sdcard2/" then go down to "Enter mount (target) path" and enter the following "/sdcard/data/" then click the ADD button.
14. Now your back at the apps main screen showing the 2 directory bind scripts you created... Put a check in each scripts box then click the "Settings Button" and click "Bind checked". If you followed this guide correctly the icons next to each script will turn green which means they mounted with no issues and your all done!

You now have ur /Sdcard/Android/ folder and /Sdcard/data/ folder binded to ur Sdcard2 which means now each folder will have 8GB/16GB/32GB's of space depending on how big the sdcard is you put into ur Nabi! You can check to see if it worked by using any Root File Explorer and going to sdcard then to the Android or data folder and looking at the space used and space free! Now when you install games and apps they will be really installing onto the sdcard2 which is great when installing games like Asphalt 7 which is 1.4GB+ in size! And of course when you reboot the scripts will auto run and bind at boot since we checked "Bind on boot" in preferences! ENJOY and post any questions hopefully there will not be many since this guide is pretty much a click by click step guide
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Clarkiss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Clarkiss Ad-Free

21st November 2012, 02:08 PM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
This is so awesome! I thank you guys for all your hard work!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
21st November 2012, 03:03 PM |#43  
OP Senior Member
Flag OC, Florida
Thanks Meter: 155

More
Well done Clarkiss, I used directory bind tool in one of my many testings. Got it to look like it had swapped but actually still installing apps and data on internal storage and Nothing to sdcard2. So great job. How would one revert back, if they wanted stock? Only ask cause sent Nabi2 to grandkids and will have to walk my son thru it via a call. Thanks for All your hard work and time on this. Also very well written instruction guide

One more question, is it necessary to copy any or all folders from you internal sdcard to sdcard2, like when doing the vold.fstab file? I'm sure it must be but just wanted to mention in case someone that never changed a vold file tries this
21st November 2012, 03:49 PM |#44  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Talking WOW!
A huge breakthrough for the Nabi 2! Thank you guys sooo much and specifically clarkiss. You rock!!!!
21st November 2012, 04:46 PM |#45  
OP Senior Member
Flag OC, Florida

More
Clarkiss, you should post your work around in the original Nabi 2 Root and Gapps. I started this thread to keep from messing up that thread. Either the whole instructions or at least a link to your work here. Many more are wanting this. Thanks again.
21st November 2012, 08:19 PM |#46  
Flag Philadelphia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD3

Clarkiss, you should post your work around in the original Nabi 2 Root and Gapps. I started this thread to keep from messing up that thread. Either the whole instructions or at least a link to your work here. Many more are wanting this. Thanks again.

Hey.. yea I was thinking about doing that to help spread the good news but I was in a hurry this morning when I posted it right before I left for work I finshed the entire guide last night and went to post it and I was hit with that maintenance down time page!! I almost jumped off the nearest cliff because I thought I was going to have to retype everything all over again but this time when I hit the back button it all came back whew.. So i just saved it to notepad and posted it this morning before work.. Im on lunch right now and I wanna say thanks to everyone that appreciates the hard work we all put into this and I will answer any questions tonight when I get home!
The Following User Says Thank You to Clarkiss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Clarkiss Ad-Free
22nd November 2012, 01:47 AM |#47  

More
directory tool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkiss

Here is the solution for the Internal Storage/Sdcard2 Swap for the Nabi 2

Lets quickly go over what we all have learned over these past 2+ weeks about the Nabi 2 and its Vold.fstab file and mount points. We realized the Nabi's vold.fstab file does NOT declare the "Internal Storage" mount point. This causes us a HUGE problem when it comes to trying to swap the "Internal Storage" and the "Sdcard2" mount points obviously because we cant just go into the vold.fstab file and edit a few lines of code to change the mount points like we would in just about every other tablet and phone there is The Nabi2 also does not show the "Internal Storage" mount when we run mount commands in a adb shell or Androids Terminal Emulator... So with that said I am almost 100% sure we cant swap the mount points using the vold.fstab file or editing vaules in .rc files and reflashing them. So that leaves us with using the script method at boot! So with hours of research I came across a Directory Binding Tool that another fellow xda developer made for almost the same reasons so I just took it and made some changes to it so we can use it with the Nabi 2. All credit for development of the tool goes to member "slig"!

How to Bind "Sdcard" to "Sdcard2" with the Directory Binding Tool

What we are going to do since we cant swap the mount points via vold.fstab/.rc files we are going to bind key ICS (4.0.4) system files to the "sdcard2"! This is the same thing as swaping the "Internal Storage" and "Sdcard2" because the Nabi's "Internal Storage" is really located on the "Sdcard". So we are going to bind the system files which are used when you install a new App or when a new App wants to download additional files to the "Sdcard2"! So instead of occupying the little space there is on the "Sdcard" after completing this guide it will install on the "sdcard2"

1. Download the DirectoryBind Tool to your Nabi from here [Download Now]
2. Install the apk to your tablet
3. After installation is complete open the "Directory Bind" app
4. At the bottom left corner make sure it says "Root Access Ok" in green
5. Then at the bottom right corner click the button so it reads "On"
6. Click on the "Settings Button" then click "Preferences"
7. In Preferences make sure the following is checked: Bind on boot, Handle USB connection, Alert on unbind fail, and Alternate dbase mgmt! Nothing else should be checked off!
8. Now click the back button once to go back to the app's main screen
9. Click the "Settings Button" then click "Add new entry"
10. You should now see 2 text fields one named "Enter source (data) path" and another named "Enter mount (target) path"... In the "Enter source (data) path" field enter the following "/mnt/sdcard2/" then go down to "Enter mount (target) path" field and enter the following "/sdcard/Android/" Then make sure "Transfer files from target to data" is NOT checked and click the ADD button.
11. You should now be back at the app's main screen but now you should see your first Directory Bind script there if you did everything correctly.
12. Now click the "Settings Button" again and click "Add new entry"
13. You now should see those 2 text fields again... This time in "Enter source (data) path" enter the following "/mnt/sdcard2/" then go down to "Enter mount (target) path" and enter the following "/sdcard/data/" then click the ADD button.
14. Now your back at the apps main screen showing the 2 directory bind scripts you created... Put a check in each scripts box then click the "Settings Button" and click "Bind checked". If you followed this guide correctly the icons next to each script will turn green which means they mounted with no issues and your all done!

You now have ur /Sdcard/Android/ folder and /Sdcard/data/ folder binded to ur Sdcard2 which means now each folder will have 8GB/16GB/32GB's of space depending on how big the sdcard is you put into ur Nabi! You can check to see if it worked by using any Root File Explorer and going to sdcard then to the Android or data folder and looking at the space used and space free! Now when you install games and apps they will be really installing onto the sdcard2 which is great when installing games like Asphalt 7 which is 1.4GB+ in size! And of course when you reboot the scripts will auto run and bind at boot since we checked "Bind on boot" in preferences! ENJOY and post any questions hopefully there will not be many since this guide is pretty much a click by click step guide

Im not sure if it worked for me when i download a app the internal memory goes down instead of the sd card
22nd November 2012, 06:57 PM |#48  

More
I'm getting same result. Apps still installing to internal memory. The sdcard2 is not being utilized. Apps2sd does not recognize external card says its emulated and unsupported.
27th November 2012, 03:39 PM |#49  
Flag Philadelphia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainprophet

I'm getting same result. Apps still installing to internal memory. The sdcard2 is not being utilized. Apps2sd does not recognize external card says its emulated and unsupported.

Its not going to install EVERY app on the sdcard2... Just the ones like Asphalt 7 and apps that after you install them require an additional download to play them which always have at least 1.0GB's of data to be downloaded or more.. The "/sdcard/Android/" and "/sdcard/data/" system files is where these additional files are downloaded to there for they are installed onto sdcard2.. If you want EVERYTHING to be installed onto the sdcard2 you would need to bind the "/sdcard/" system file BUT this will cause issues with a few things and may cause your Nabi2 to not work correctly! You would also have to uncheck "Bypass Path Verification" in the settings of the Dictionary Bind Tool.. Again I would not recommend it without working out the issues it would cause..
27th November 2012, 03:58 PM |#50  
OP Senior Member
Flag OC, Florida

More
Quote:

Its not going to install EVERY app on the sdcard2... Just the ones like Asphalt 7 and apps that after you install them require an additional download to play them which always have at least 1.0GB's of data to be downloaded or more.. The "/sdcard/Android/" and "/sdcard/data/" system files is where these additional files are downloaded to there for they are installed onto sdcard2.. If you want EVERYTHING to be installed onto the sdcard2 you would need to bind the "/sdcard/" system file BUT this will cause issues with a few things and may cause your Nabi2 to not work correctly! You would also have to uncheck "Bypass Path Verification" in the settings of the Dictionary Bind Tool.. Again I would not recommend it without working out the issues it would cause..

I can't even try or test anymore, having mailed the Nabi to my son for his kids. There should be a way as the other devices that I have modded and other folks have, work great as internal sdcard. I know with the others, it was a MUST than all files and folders be copied from internal sdcard to sdcard2 before any changes. So as to keep from having any problems. Have you tried Binding? If so clarkiss, did you copy all over to sdcard2?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda app-developers app
27th November 2012, 04:52 PM |#51  

More
Sd card
Quote:

I have music on the sd card and when i use the tool theydic that's on the sd card gets tripled so on the music player a song shows up 3 times.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)