[GUIDE] dsixda's Android Kitchen - Now with SGS2 I9100 support (Windows/Linux/Mac)

Search This thread

dinuvali

Aug 5, 2011
Hello,

First off, i've read all the FAQs and all the posts i could find and tried all the solutions that you gave to this issue:)

My error is Status 6 while flashing.
I took a very slightly modified AOSP JB ROM (crespo / Nexus S) (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1843301) and added root, busybox and init.d via your kitchen. It wouldn't flash.
I took a look at both updater-scripts side by side and copied the format and mounts from the original to the cooked one. It wouldn't flash.
I deleted the assert at the end of the cooked updater-script and it wouldn't flash.
If i check the update-script (option 9 via kitchen) it says that package_extract_file is not found, but the original updater-script does contain it.
I'm using Ubuntu and gedit while editing the files.

What else can i try?
Thanks

sarf2k4

Apr 3, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
newbie in cooking

Hi, I am new to cooking a ROM and I am using GT-N7000. I believe both i9100 and n7000 ROMs are basically the same since dsixda pointed the n7000 guide into this thread.

I am trying to replace the default kernel from a stock odexed ROM with the kernel I downloaded that is flashable with cwm and I am confused by this instruction by dsixda http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7628768&postcount=1664

I had used the zimage of cf root xwlpg..had worked perfectly fine...please try and revert.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
The quoted text above, I assume we just replace the zimage file in the ROM root folder? for example:

\data
\meta-inf
\sdcard
\system
boot
flash_image
modem.bin <== I think this is the modem/baseband and I replace this with the modem I wanted right?
zimage <== I assume this is the kernel and I just replace this and other files included from the cwm flashable right?

I couldn't find an exact answer to my question, sorry to have this posted again if there is any

Thank you in advance

zscomp

Oct 26, 2011
NIKAIA
is this working for Galaxy SIII ?

Yes

I am trying to replace the default kernel from a stock odexed ROM with the kernel I downloaded that is flashable with cwm and I am confused by this instruction by dsixda http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7628768&postcount=1664

The quoted text above, I assume we just replace the zimage file in the ROM root folder? for example:

\data
\meta-inf
\sdcard
\system
boot
flash_image
modem.bin <== I think this is the modem/baseband and I replace this with the modem I wanted right?
zimage <== I assume this is the kernel and I just replace this and other files included from the cwm flashable right?

I couldn't find an exact answer to my question, sorry to have this posted again if there is any

Thank you in advance

Correct.Your steps must be:
1. Put your rom files in the original_update folder.
2. Replace the zimage in original_folder with the zimage you want.
3. Start kitchen :)

Reactions: sarf2k4

sarf2k4

Apr 3, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Yes

Correct.Your steps must be:
1. Put your rom files in the original_update folder.
2. Replace the zimage in original_folder with the zimage you want.
3. Start kitchen :)

Ok, I've done most of the de-odexing parts and I wanted to know how can I replace the kernels. As for the modem, there are two files, flash_image and modem.bin. I replace both of these as well right? meta-inf isn't necessary was it?

The cwm flashable kernel I downloaded also included some \bin and \system folder. I include these as well?

zscomp

Oct 26, 2011
NIKAIA
Ok, I've done most of the de-odexing parts and I wanted to know how can I replace the kernels. As for the modem, there are two files, flash_image and modem.bin. I replace both of these as well right? meta-inf isn't necessary was it?

The cwm flashable kernel I downloaded also included some \bin and \system folder. I include these as well?

If you allready started, put only zimage and modem.bin to working folder before you make the final zip.

zscomp

Oct 26, 2011
NIKAIA
I have replaced the ls3 modem but when i flashed it on to my phone, still shows the ls1 baseband version. Any ideas?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Be sure that flash_image and modem.bin are in the root directory of zip file and in the updater-script exists the following lines:

package_extract_file("flash_image", "/tmp/flash_image");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/flash_image");
assert(package_extract_file("modem.bin", "/tmp/modem.bin"),
run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p8", "/tmp/modem.bin"),
delete("/tmp/modem.bin"));

If not, add them :)

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Hi guys, I am on vacation, so I can't offer much help at the moment.

But for instructions, just follow post #1 of this thread. The kernel info in the kitchen FAQ from the other thread is from 2010, so don't follow those, as they involve a boot.img which is not in the SGS2 ROMs.

For the modem, as it says in post #1, replace modem.bin, not flash_image; otherwise you may be using the wrong flash_image that is not provided by the kitchen.

For the kernel, also as in post #1, replace zImage.

Everything will be done automatically by the kitchen, and the updater-script will be updated whether you add or remove the modem/kernel before building.

sarf2k4

Apr 3, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Be sure that flash_image and modem.bin are in the root directory of zip file and in the updater-script exists the following lines:

run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p8", "/tmp/modem.bin"),

If not, add them :)

Erm, I got something almost similar to the above, but here is the code

Code:
assert(package_extract_file("zImage", "/tmp/zImage"),
       run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p5", "/tmp/zImage"),
       delete("/tmp/zImage"));
delete("/tmp/flash_image");
ui_print(" ");
ui_print("Flashing XXLS1 Modem");
ui_print("");
       write_raw_image("/tmp/modem.bin", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p8"),

sarf2k4

Apr 3, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Hi guys, I am on vacation, so I can't offer much help at the moment.

But for instructions, just follow post #1 of this thread. The kernel info in the kitchen FAQ from the other thread is from 2010, so don't follow those, as they involve a boot.img which is not in the SGS2 ROMs.

For the modem, as it says in post #1, replace modem.bin, not flash_image; otherwise you may be using the wrong flash_image that is not provided by the kitchen.

For the kernel, also as in post #1, replace zImage.

Everything will be done automatically by the kitchen, and the updater-script will be updated whether you add or remove the modem/kernel before building.

Thank you for the very useful info. I really had it missed due to following some guides in the chef central section. Guess i had to start over again but it is okay to start over.

May i request for an extended reboot menu for jb release from this thread?
Seems like it is not easy to find this useful mod

Thank you in advance:)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

zscomp

Oct 26, 2011
NIKAIA
Erm, I got something almost similar to the above, but here is the code

Code:
assert(package_extract_file("zImage", "/tmp/zImage"),
       run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p5", "/tmp/zImage"),
       delete("/tmp/zImage"));
delete("/tmp/flash_image");
ui_print(" ");
ui_print("Flashing XXLS1 Modem");
ui_print("");
       write_raw_image("/tmp/modem.bin", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p8"),

Both methods are correct.
You shoudnt have problem.
Are you sure the modem.bin is the correct one?
Give a try to my method

sarf2k4

Apr 3, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Both methods are correct.
You shoudnt have problem.
Are you sure the modem.bin is the correct one?
Give a try to my method

Yes, I've replaced both flash_image and modem.bin in my initial ROM cooking so as dsixda said, I only have to replace the modem.bin and zimage in order to include the desired file and flash_image should be used with default and not patched from the cwm flashable modem.

I am going to put this current hobby on-hold a while until I found a better mod/apps and new release pack for my ROM. I am going to miss Rocket ROM though, that is why cooking my own ROM :laugh:

In the meantime, I try to mess with the ROM a little bit :highfive:

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
For those who have been asking me why the new I9100 Jelly Bean leak does not boot when customized in the kitchen, it's because the apps in system/app are actually symlinks that point to files in hidden.img. This is not supported in the kitchen. I'm on vacation now too.

Reactions: Flint2

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
Last edited:

cnn888

Dec 13, 2008
thank you for your guide... finally i am able to deodex, slim down, add/change whatever i want... to the samsung rom, myself.... took only 1 hour to build and it's worth it. testing out newly born baby....

once again... thank you....

Mattix724

Sep 26, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
OnePlus 8
What's different in 0.218????

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

I noticed the preload partition is no longer recognized....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Last edited:
Reactions: toxicro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    dsixda's Android Kitchen - Now for Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100

Compatible with Windows (Cygwin) / Linux / Mac OS X

The following is a guide to assist you with creating your own Samsung Galaxy S2 custom ROMs with the kitchen. This is NOT a guide to help you become Cyanogen or do fancy things with AOSP, but it may be your springboard to bigger things in the future.

For the benefit of other readers and to prevent confusion, please stay on topic and only discuss Samsung Galaxy S2 in this thread!

Some of you already know about the Android Kitchen. It is a project I started on back in February 2010 to help newbies create their own custom ROMs and learn more about Android. The kitchen has been designed almost exclusively for HTC devices, although many people have had success using it with other manufacturers' ROMs. Recently I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2, and of course, I wanted to take control and create my own custom ROMs. However, ROMs for this device are totally different from those that I had worked on before, and so I decided to take on the project of supporting this device in the Android Kitchen. So, as of version 0.175, you can now create your own ROMs with the kitchen.

First, I'd like to thank pulser_g2 of Villain ROM for voluntarily helping me during his vacation to get started on this SGS2 project. Secondly, a big thanks to Noonski for testing and providing feedback.

PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: For this guide to work, you need one of the original Exynos-based Galaxy S2 variants, including the Galaxy Note GT-N7000. Unfortunately this means there is no support for the I9100G, since it uses a different chipset. For the Qualcomm-based AT&T Skyrocket, T-Mobile SGH-T989, Telus Galaxy S2 X (SGH-T989D) and other variants, please follow this thread instead.

1. First, you need a rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 with a ClockworkMod custom recovery.
    2. Visit the Android Kitchen thread to download the kitchen. Then, follow the link to the FAQ which will show you how to install it on Windows, Linux or Mac OS X. Ensure you read the FAQ carefully.
      • IMPORTANT: To verify your variant of the Galaxy S2 works in the kitchen, read this post.
    3. Put your base ROM(s) under the original_update folder. For the Samsung Galaxy S2, there is support for the following formats which can be placed in that folder (you can place multiple ROMs there):
      • Stock firmware:
        • factoryfs.img, cache.img, zImage, hidden.img (if it exists), and modem.bin (optional)
        • TAR file containing factoryfs.img, cache.img, zImage (and optional modem.bin)
        • TAR.MD5 file - Same as above but must be renamed *without* the MD5 part in the file name
        • ZIP file containing factoryfs.img, cache.img, zImage (and optional modem.bin)
      • Custom ROM:
        • ZIP file created by the kitchen from the stock firmware (other ROMs such as CyanogenMod may use a different file structure that is incompatible with the kitchen!)
      • Nandroid backup from ClockworkMod recovery
        • system.img and boot.img
        • system.ext4.tar and boot.img
    4. Here are some basic steps to creating your first ROM after you have your base of files under original_update (more options are available in the kitchen):
      1. Start the kitchen with: ./menu
      2. Create a working folder (by choosing your base ROM)
        • If you used a stock factoryfs.img but then didn't include the cache.img, then you have the option to add a cache.img later using the Extract CSC script in the Advanced menu's 'Plugins' section.
      3. Optional: Add a rooted kernel (zImage) to the base of your working folder
        • If your working folder currently has the stock kernel (zImage), you should replace it with the CF-Root kernel (or any other custom rooted kernel) which must match the stock ROM's Android OS version. Just replace the stock zImage with this zImage any time before you build the ROM. Otherwise, if you keep the stock kernel you will lose access to ClockWorkMod recovery!
        • OR, you can create a ROM without a zImage and thus keep the existing kernel on your device, although you must ensure the kernel is compatible with the ROM!
      4. Optional: Add a modem.bin to the base of your working folder, or remove the existing modem.bin if you don't want it. You can flash the ROM with or without a modem.bin.
      5. Root your ROM (Not required if you are using the CF-ROOT zImage)
      6. Add Busybox (Not required if you are using the CF-ROOT zImage)
      7. Disable boot sounds (if you find the Samsung starting sound a bit annoying)
      8. In the Advanced options menu: De-odex your ROM
        • If you have trouble deodexing the leaked 4.0.3 ROMs, read this post for help.
      9. Build ROM
        • The ROM is built into a ZIP file meant for flashing from the custom recovery menu. No Odin.
    5. Some notes:
      • Just select the defaults whenever you are asked about something in the kitchen and are unsure whether to type 'y' or 'n'.
      • There are lots of questions answered in the FAQ in Posts 3 and 4 of the main Android Kitchen thread. So please go through that first if you have any issues.

Direct your questions to this thread, please do not PM me for tech support. Most of all, have patience, take your time and enjoy!!

USEFUL LINKS

Preserved...
    As of version 0.215, I've added support for the recent Jelly Bean leak ROM. It fixes the /preload symlink issue everyone was having.
    I have successfully managed to deodex Samsung ICS firmware. Choose API 15 it will deodex the system except Exchange.apk, Email.apk & MobileTracker.apk now tto deodex them we need to put the attached java.awt.jar into the framework folder but don't put it before or you will have issues deodexing other framework files. Use it when those three files are left behind.