[MOD] Simple Wireless Charging! - 10 minutes & Under £10

Search This thread

skfalco

Jul 10, 2009
Mexico
Progress

So i bought a cheap plastic cover for the note II and cut it by hand it's not that bad, i also fitted the Powermat Magnet in there after i'm finished i will put the copper foil tape and see if it works faster, here is a picture of the work =) if you wan't a video tell me
View attachment 1509920

wrapper

May 10, 2009
UK
Works on my N7105, used the 'origami' method. As mentioned numerous times, the charging is very slow. Still very cool though :)

Ryan_G

Sep 27, 2006
United Kingdom
just wanted to post up a correction on the front page, i bought the palm pixi case (verizon) and got it working on the att note 2 but the polarity on the charging pins are not different , the top is positive and the bottom is negative same as the pre

Thank you for letting me know, I should of double checked that. I've changed the front page now.

Reactions: skfalco

skfalco

Jul 10, 2009
Mexico
working!

Got it working on n7100! Note 2 with the blackberry pearl powermat charger its a success full charge from 24% in about 2 hours will post video and photos when complete! With the OP permission i would like to make a separate thread and post video and instructions if you can make reference here it would be awesome thanks a lot!

Ryan_G

Sep 27, 2006
United Kingdom
Got it working on n7100! Note 2 with the blackberry pearl powermat charger its a success full charge from 24% in about 2 hours will post video and photos when complete! With the OP permission i would like to make a separate thread and post video and instructions if you can make reference here it would be awesome thanks a lot!

Yes certainly do that, sounds good. :good:

owl74

Nov 15, 2012
Someone tested the expensive qi charger and apparenty it was charging as quick as the touchstone so I guess theres no point spending megabucks on that one.

Last edited:

skfalco

Jul 10, 2009
Mexico
SUCCESS!!

Good one @ skfalco, can't wait to see pics

Thanks man, everything would not be possible without your origami tech and the OP wireless charging mod, this is like a mix, here some pics, i unglued the tape so you can see the copper foil so it's a little messy but when i make my post i will make everything cleaner trust me, also the video shows it working the battery was 99% full and instantly full charge! =) now i will work in my 2.0 version and separate thread hope everyone like it, also in my country the powermat chargers are insanely cheap, 3 dollars each! interested let me now! =) thanks everybody for you support.

Here the video:

And attached the images!
View attachment 1512840
View attachment 1512841
View attachment 1512842
Update: Video is not working any suggestions :/
Update 2: Thanks Ryan OP video is working now! =)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan_G and nm8

tfaulk88

Jul 30, 2010
olathe KS
Finally got my copper foil tape in the mail today. Just got done setting it all up and its working. Ill post later about how well it charges, feel free to ask any questions Ill try and help.

Attachments

• 20121126_163929.jpg
    20121126_163929.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 20121126_163934.jpg
    20121126_163934.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 20121126_164000.jpg
    20121126_164000.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 199

Ryan_G

Sep 27, 2006
United Kingdom
Thanks man, everything would not be possible without your origami tech and the OP wireless charging mod, this is like a mix, here some pics, i unglued the tape so you can see the copper foil so it's a little messy but when i make my post i will make everything cleaner trust me, also the video shows it working the battery was 99% full and instantly full charge! =) now i will work in my 2.0 version and separate thread hope everyone like it, also in my country the powermat chargers are insanely cheap, 3 dollars each! interested let me now! =) thanks everybody for you support.

Here the video:

And attached the images!
Update: Video is not working any suggestions :/

Absolute brilliant, nice to see powermat alternative.

To do the youtube embedded video.

You have to write [youtube] (in the middle copy your youtube video code) [/youtube ]

Your youtube video code is [youtube]VH2Upw2opsk[/youtube ] copy and paste but delete the space ive entered in the square bracket

Last edited:

rj3005

Nov 11, 2009
Mine charges about the same speed using copper foil.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

skfalco

Jul 10, 2009
Mexico
Research

Doing some research i found a power mat charger that relies on a mini USB as the one in the note II to charge it's attached to a back cover so... let's heat the solder and make v2.0 of the power mat charger, now almost solderless! and keeping original backcover! stay tuned!

DirknJirkn13

Jul 21, 2010
Rochester, NY
Not to thread hack, but I have the Touchstone dock and oem HP wall charger with usb cable for sale. PM me if you are interested. I tried this mod and decided I didn't need it.

tfaulk88

Jul 30, 2010
olathe KS
I have the sprint note 2 it didn't have wholes for the wireless charging so I made my own. I tried to make it look as stock as possible. Here's some pics feel free to ask if you need help. Also I've been using the wireless charging for about 2 days now and I've mainly been using it while I sleep. Although I charged from around 70 to 100 in a little more than 2 hours but for night charging this is perfect, I'm really liking it so far. I set the touchstone up on my night stand and when I go to bed I just take it and set in on the touchstone and BAM!! its charging lol.

Thank you nm8 for the origami method and the foil rolling idea.

Attachments

• attachment.php.jpg
    attachment.php.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 538
  • attachment1.php.jpg
    attachment1.php.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 531
  • attachment2.php.jpg
    attachment2.php.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 523
  • attachment3.php.jpg
    attachment3.php.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 563
  • 20121126_163929.jpg
    20121126_163929.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 592
  • 20121126_163934.jpg
    20121126_163934.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 497
  • 20121126_164000.jpg
    20121126_164000.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 445

Framedtrash

FYI you can also use the samsung droid charge back plate to make this mod
Only diffrence is that it uses the qi wireless standard instead of the blackberry one
So this one will work even with a case on
The charging bases cost.more then the touchstone.but since it works thru a case its alot better

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [size=+1]Simple wireless charging - Ten Minutes & Under Ten Pounds[/size]

Confirmed working on the:
    International Note II GT-N7100

International Note II GT-N7105

AT&T Note II (Confirmed working)

Sprint Note II (has no slots for charging pins, but confirmed working when taking the middle housing cover off and finding the wireless charging contacts underneath)
    Have a look at this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33833217&postcount=240

Canadian i317M Note II (Bell Canada)
    Confirmed not working on the:
    US TMobile Note II SGH-T889 (Has the charging pins for wireless charging)
    Please see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1978276

vinas1 has just released some instructions on how you could get the wireless charging mod to work on the Tmobile Note II version.
    Check it out here
    [size=+1]Please do this mod at your own risk[/size]

[size=+1]Big Thanks to m055 who has posted a video guide on Youtube check it out from here[/size]

I've decided to go ahead and do the mod for the wireless charging as i've seen a few threads tempting me.
    What you need is:
    • Palm Touchstone £5.24 (Amazon UK)
    • Palm Pre Touchstone case £3.49 (eBay)
    • Electrical Tape
    • Copper foil tape [thanks rj3005]
    • Solder Iron & Solder
    You can also use thin wire to do this mod if you don't have copper tape handy.
    This all cost me under £10 excluding the solder iron. You might find it cheaper shopping around.
    1. I first took the induction coil out of the Palm Pre case carefully.
      !!! Its very important that you peel the silver sticker off carefully and not cause any sharp bends which could cause cracking. You need this silver sticker to stay intact for the whole operation to work!!!
      The top pin is positive and bottom is negative as shown in the picture, this is also the same on the note the top pin being positive and bottom negative.

2. I placed the coil in the center of the Note battery case I then placed the silver sticker over the coil as it was on the Palm Pre (this is very important that you place the silver sticker back over the coil as without it the induction doesn't seem to work.)

3. I then checked where the charging pins on the note meets with the case and marked it with a pen to indicate where the wires copper tape would have to be.

4. Using copper tape, I stuck two tracks going from the charging circuit to the charging pins positions, make sure you leave enough copper track to fold the tape twice over itself to create a spring going against the charging pins.

5. Solder the track to the charging circuit by tinning the end of the copper track and soldering it to charging circuit contacts, then cut electrical tape to size and place it over the copper track. After place the original insulation cover over the coil with the magnets.

6. I placed the battery cover over the Palm Touchstone dock and checked the voltage from the copper track with a meter (should be 5.6V any less means you have left the silver foil off or not placed it correctly) to check everything is working and the polarity is correct.

7. I placed it back on my phone and there you go, I now have wireless charging.

NFC works and magnets do not affect the phone testing the S Pen and Compass seem to operate all good.

List of successful mods completed:
    There is probably more successful mods then whats on this list, please post about your success and I will add it to here but also post about if you are having trouble getting this working and I'm sure somebody will be able to advice and help you here!

German tutorial with good pictures of the Pre and Pixi casing(thanks Frank2)
    Sorry if its a bit brief, I will try and write it up a bit better.

[size=+1]EDIT: Measurements I've taken
    Output Voltage 4.8V (5.6V disconnected)
    Output Amps 0.42A[/size]

EDIT: Added pictures of the Galaxy Note on the dock in portrait & landscape

EDIT: I've now swapped my wires over to copper tape

EDIT: nm8 has just posted a solder less alternative [MOD] Note 2 Wireless Charging [Origami style][No Solder]

You can use the Palm Pixi case to do this mod but its very important that you double check the polarity to the charging pins. Do not connect straight to the charging pins until your sure which pins are positive and negative, you could cause damage to your phone Info Regarding the Pixi

EDIT: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33861324&postcount=77 QI Wireless Charging Mod
    My GF has a Note 2 from US Cellular.

Popped off the battery cover and right off the bat you can tell its different from the international version because it lacks the two charging points......but I wondered if they were under the plastic back plate but just not visible.....so she dove in and tore it apart.

Used a disassembly video we found on YouTube....so I wont bother with the "unscrew this" - "pry here" crap.

This is what you see once you get it apart.

20121107_194130.jpg

See them two little spots....yep, thats what your looking for.

Now I gotta "modify" read "hack the **** out of" the back cover so you can access those little points with the phone reassembled......so I used a dremel to hog out the back plate.

20121107_194135.jpg

Stick all the Palm crap on the original battery door......see those little fingers are going to fit thru the hole and contact the charging points on the circuit board.

20121107_194407.jpg

.......and success. WIRELESS CHARGING

20121107_213625.jpg
    Finally finished my mod today. The most difficult and time consuming part of this mod is the preparation and etching of the flexible PCB.

Things needed:
    1. copper clad laminate (pyralux) - flexible PCB
    2. Copper tape
    3. ferric chloride solution - for etching
    4. Alcohol or acetone - to clean up pcb after etching
    5. Water proof/permanent marker pen, tweezer, nipper/scissor, mobile phone pry tools, soldering iron, bla blah

8147661667_c5fbef19f6_b.jpg

Trial etching:
    8147666965_c5161f9e2b_b.jpg

More pics:
    8152200298_63045dccc1_b.jpg

8152201596_389d9ef0a8_b.jpg

8152176843_8042726649_b.jpg

8152197406_e2c8f946ec_b.jpg

8152169951_ccb970efbe_b.jpg

8152173071_95ea8ae634_b.jpg

8152204446_b04b4b760a_b.jpg

video:
    Thanks for this, I was in the market for a dock when I stumble upon you're post, I don't need a dock for anything other than charging plus the viewing angle is perfect for me, so it was a no brainer.

I used the no solder option for my battery cover, there's a slight bulge but nothing too serious, I ordered some more parts to do my flip cover, that went really well, there's no bulge whatsoever, but for some reason the magnets aren't as strong, it holds but not as well.

For anyone who is having issues I have posted a guide on YouTube

hope it helps.

M
    But using the two terminals to the left of the battery is fine correct? Like the OP did?

Yes those terminals next to the battery are fine and safe to use.

but some forum members have been asking whether its safe to connect the induction coil directly to the battery, this is not safe. They have been asking because phones like the Galaxy Note 1 have not got Wireless Charging terminals.

I hope this clears it up for you.