[Guide] How to fix 4.2 lag

Search This thread

xadet

Dec 9, 2009
Fixed the lag instantly for me.

How to cure lag and a bevy of other stupid problems that shouldn't have made it past a 5 year old let alone `professional' paid developers.

Step 1: Don't install 4.2
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit
You need to realise programming as a hobby and as a job are 2 completely different things, with the work produced by the latter reflecting in no way the skills of the developer. When you're a paid developer you do what you're told to do by management, you have very little input in terms of timeframes and such.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

AndreaCristiano

Dec 13, 2010
Freehold, New Jersey
It's plagiarized because it directly quotes a large portion of the article without citing the source.

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

It's plagiarized because it directly quotes a large portion of the article without citing the source.

Edit: nice signature, by the way! :)

I think you're being over dramatic he isn't profiting from the info get a grip

from my SGS3 while my nexus 7 rests

Reactions: phillip1953

Wilks3y

Aug 3, 2012
Leek
I already have Google Currents Disabled in my Apps using TiBackup.
But yet I still experience the lag?

Could the Syncing still be enabled even though its disabled?
If so, should I un-disable, un-check the setting then re-disable?

THANKS !!

rmm200

Apr 15, 2011
Bend
I already have Google Currents Disabled in my Apps using TiBackup.
But yet I still experience the lag?

Could the Syncing still be enabled even though its disabled?
If so, should I un-disable, un-check the setting then re-disable?

THANKS !!

Understand what synching does. It just means that Currents goes out on a regular basis and looks for updates to news.
Turning it off just reduces lag from that source.
There can be many sources for lag; check settings/apps/manage/running and see who is active.
You would have no more reason to expect lag-free on a tablet than on your PC. Some operations take time.

bkmaracas

Jul 10, 2012
Cardiff
Forcing GPU in dev settings seems to help lag for me ( still have multi user set up) , any disadvantages of this?

Storage nearing full also a factor I think, shouldnt be but seems that way.

Sent from my Nexus 7

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Forcing GPU in dev settings seems to help lag for me
Sent from my Nexus 7

Placebo effect.

Best solution is still to not install 4.2, it's the Windows ME of Android... Why spend all this time figuring out how to make an OS run correctly? It should have done it out of the box.. 4.2 is trash..

bkmaracas

Jul 10, 2012
Cardiff
Maybe accusations of placebo effect are a placebo effect.. :)

Have had major lagginess and its better for me after force gpu is on. only other change I made was to delete some pics.

Seems the source of lags are numerous. Multi user, free space, apps playing up etc. So there is no one fix, just reporting my findings.

calls of 'placebo' and 'just roll back' are a little unnecessary and not v enlightening!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Reactions: TheAtheistReverend

benlc

Oct 8, 2009
I confirm that this solution fixes most of the issues that I experienced since 4.2. Used to be slow as hell : waking up the device could take up to 30 seconds, buttons would freeze for 5 or 10, launching an app would also take forever, and I couldn't count the ANR anymore etc... Now device is running as smoothly as it was on 4.1. Still experiencing the weird issues with lockscreen/homescreen mainly put this is pretty minor compared to the huge lag.

Thanks !

dcoaster

Dec 1, 2008
I confirm that this solution fixes most of the issues that I experienced since 4.2. Used to be slow as hell : waking up the device could take up to 30 seconds, buttons would freeze for 5 or 10, launching an app would also take forever, and I couldn't count the ANR anymore etc... Now device is running as smoothly as it was on 4.1. Still experiencing the weird issues with lockscreen/homescreen mainly put this is pretty minor compared to the huge lag.

Thanks !

Which solution? The OP's solution? Forever gone app solution? Force GPU solution?

May 29, 2012
Hopefully this doesn't get buried, but disabling sync didn't do the trick for me. I had to disable sync, clear cache, delete data and disable for my nexus to return to how it had performed before

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

dcoaster

Dec 1, 2008
Knock on wood but things are great now after trying the "forever gone" app. Buttery smooth again.

notsointeresting

Mar 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Maybe accusations of placebo effect are a placebo effect.. :)

Have had major lagginess and its better for me after force gpu is on. only other change I made was to delete some pics.

Seems the source of lags are numerous. Multi user, free space, apps playing up etc. So there is no one fix, just reporting my findings.

calls of 'placebo' and 'just roll back' are a little unnecessary and not v enlightening!

Sent from my Nexus 7

It actually is placebo.
All force GPU rendering does is literally "force" the gpu to render graphics on apps that don't already have it enabled. Which every app virtually does. I believe android has it on by default now so devs actually have to turn it off in their app if they don't want it. All of the Android OS already uses GPU rendering

Hope this clarifies :thumbup:

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: bkmaracas

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,
    I recently upgraded to 4.2q on my Nexus 7, and I experienced a lot of lag on it. I was browsing the Internet, and I found this on the internet which has worked well for me, and now I have no lag. I don't know if this has already been posted here.
    This is what I found on the internet:

"If you’re one of the poor users experiencing major lag on your Nexus 7 after the Android 4.2 update, here’s what you can do to remedy the situation:

Open your app drawer
    Open Google Currents
    Click the three dots in the top right corner of the app
    Tap “Settings”
    Uncheck “Enable Background Sync”
    Reboot your Nexus 7

That’s it. You shouldn’t experience anymore lag and you probably won’t even need to reboot. For me the difference was night and day. I went an extra step and disabled the app completely just in case. If you want to disable Google Currents for good measure, you can do so by going into your main Settings menu, clicking Apps, swiping to the All category, clicking Google Currents, and then clicking Disable. (If you do this you won’t be able to use Google Currents anymore, but at least your Nexus 7 will be back to normal."

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Corey

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    You made it onto Android Authority, very cool. Thanks for the fix, it works like a charm.

Link to the article: http://www.androidauthority.com/xda...ed-nexus-7-lag-issue-after-4-2-update-134281/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Actually, the OP took this post word for word from a TalkAndroid.com post. I know because I wrote that post two days ago: http://www.talkandroid.com/141899-does-your-nexus-7-lag-after-the-4-2-update-theres-a-fix-for-that/
    Don't forget to run forever gone its a miracle worker

sent from my Nexus 7 while my SGS3 rests!
    On the 4.2.2 update and I am not receiving any lag they diffidently fixed it.

How to cure lag and a bevy of other stupid problems that shouldn't have made it past a 5 year old let alone `professional' paid developers.

Step 1: Don't install 4.2
    Step 2: ????
    Step 3: Profit

Grats! Least useful post I have seen on this forum.