Thanks Meter: 65

By vijay555, Retired Moderator on 31st January 2009, 02:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th March 2009, 09:33 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay555

@false_apology - did this issue ever get fixed?
Could you email or attach the .exe and .lnk you made so I can have a look at them.

How did you create the .lnk?

V

I had the exact same problem with the same situation. I'm trying to replace Windows\Calendar.exe with ThumbCal.

I would create a shortcut to Program Files\ThumbApps\ThumbCal.exe using Total Commander, and cut/move the shortcut to the root directory just to test it out before I actually move it to my Windows directory. VJBrisk was renamed to Calendar.exe and ThumbCal.lnk was renamed to CalendarLNK.lnk. No go, and it gave me the same error that false_apology and someone else received.

What solved the problem:
I copied a VJBrisk.exe into the SAME folder where the shortcut was created.. (Program Files\ThumbApps\ThumbCal). Renamed everything properly and this worked whether it was a .lnk or .exe. I tried copying VJBrisk (Now Calendar.exe) and CalendarLNK.lnk to the root folder again, and no go.

Ultimately, I just copied all the contents in \ThumbCal to \Windows. It works, so I'm happy! Fantastic app! been searching for a workaround to the M2D home screen calendar and this worked out exactly as it should. Thanks!

10th March 2009, 09:37 AM |#22  
OP Retired Moderator
Witch Space

More
jalcantara512:
could you do me a favour and upload the .lnk and .exe that didn't work, telling me there exact folder locations when they weren't loading.

Alternatively, tell me the same info, but just open the .lnk into Notepad etc and paste the contents of the .lnk in here so I can try to understand what's causing the problem.

Many thanks,

V
10th March 2009, 10:18 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay555

jalcantara512:
could you do me a favour and upload the .lnk and .exe that didn't work, telling me there exact folder locations when they weren't loading.

Alternatively, tell me the same info, but just open the .lnk into Notepad etc and paste the contents of the .lnk in here so I can try to understand what's causing the problem.

Many thanks,

V

Hope this helps..

The contents in the attached zip were located in the bare root folder.. I tried it in a number of different directories, and if it's not in the ThumbCal folder, it won't work.. I copied these exact same files into \Program Files\ThumbApps\ThumbCal.exe and they worked fine.

When I open up the .lnk, it shows this in notepad:
48#"\Program Files\ThumbApps\ThumbCal.exe"

2am here, so i'm off to bed! Good luck! and Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calendar.zip - [Click for QR Code] (15.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: cab ThumbCal_0.5.1.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (430.7 KB, 13 views)
10th March 2009, 01:46 PM |#24  
OP Retired Moderator
Witch Space

More
Guys,

Many thanks for pointing out the bug. I made a booboo handling cases where the VJBrisk.exe is in the root folder. I never got around to testing that scenario properly, and now I have egg on my face.

Please retest version 0.41 (link is above, sorry, I haven't fixed the cab yet because I don't have a cab manager at work).
The only change is to hopefully properly support use of VJBrisk.exe in the root folder.

V
11th March 2009, 04:52 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hey all, Sorry I didn't respond sooner for some reason I didn't get a notification that this thread had been updated! (Or I didn't subscribe properly ) anyway, gonna try the updated version and i'll let you know how it goes!

EDIT: It's working!! Sweet! Thanks for the fix!
15th March 2009, 09:29 AM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi, I would very much like to try it, but the dowload link in yout site seems to be dead
18th March 2009, 12:31 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Could you elaborate a bit more on this?

"2. VJBrisk will now pass the command line passed to IT, on to the target application. Eg, If Stocks.exe is launched with command line
"Stocks.exe NBC", then VJBrisk will try to launch
"VJBriskEXE.exe NBC"."

I'm trying to replace tmail.exe so that it opens the Resco Contact Manager SMS Inbox.

I've renamed VJBrisk.exe to tmail.exe. I have then renamed SMS Inbox.lnk to tmailLNK.lnk. However, this gives an error of:

"The file 'RPMOpt' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring this file."

SMS Inbox.lnk opens fine on it's own, but when it's linked to VJBrisk, I get that error.

The target for the shortcut is ":RPMSMS?\windows\RPMOpt.exe -94"

I'm using Manila 2D on a i910 Omnia.
18th March 2009, 12:02 PM |#28  
OP Retired Moderator
Witch Space

More
@integrate01: could you zip up the files you're using, and email them or PM them to me.

And/or, can you open up the .lnk file in notepad and paste the text into this thread.

VJBrisk will internally read and parse a .lnk file of the format
PHP Code:
33#"\Windows\myexe.exe"  this is my command line 
and extract out the command line parameters and the .exe

From memory, VJBrisk has no special support for a path like:
PHP Code:
":RPMSMS?\windows\RPMOpt.exe -94" 
as I've never used one, so I'll have to check what it does with it. It probably should work, so long as the .lnk format is valid syntax.

Regarding the merging or .lnk parameters.
Make a shortcut called VJBriskLnk.lnk, eg
PHP Code:
33#"\Windows\myexe.exe"  paramA 
And now make a shortcut to VJBrisk.exe, called VJBrisk.lnk:
PHP Code:
33#"\vjbrisk.exe"  paramB 
When launching VJBrisk.lnk, VJBrisk.exe will merge the parameters together to launch
\Windows\myexe.exe
with the parameters
paramAparamB

I can't think of many circumstances when that'll be handy, but it's there... VJBrisk shouldn't exist, but somehow people found a use for it!

V
18th March 2009, 02:05 PM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Hi Vijay,

I get this certificate error too, when applying the file to calendar.exe (attempt to make thumbcal as default calendar) under \windows folder

"The file 'ThumbCal' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring this file."

I am sure I have set it correctly. This is not the first time I am using your file. I am using latest version 0.41.

thanks
18th March 2009, 02:10 PM |#30  
OP Retired Moderator
Witch Space

More
Fixing VJBrisk problems
@world:
if you have any problems like this, please zip up the files I need to replicate the problem - your VJBrisk (as renamed), your .lnk file if there is one, and the target file (eg thumbcal.exe).
Please also indicate the path to each of the above files (either a screenshot or just write it out, eg \windows\vjbrisk.exe).

Post the contents here, and/or email to vjbrisk at vijay555.com

@joseph.sapri
I doubt this is a certificate error, but actually some kind of path error, but please provide me with the info above and I'll look into it.

V
18th March 2009, 02:33 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Vijay,

wow, that was quick .
I actually solved the issue.

VJBrisk gives that certificate error, because it doesnt recognize extra parameter on the target lnk file.
what I mean, This is what I did:

VJBrisk.exe was renamed to calendar.exe (under windows)

DOESNT WORK:
calendarLNK.lnk target: "\program files\ThumbCal\Thumbcal.exe" calendar -vd?ThumbCalRes.dll,-115

WORKS:
calendarLNK.lnk target: "\program files\ThumbCal\Thumbcal.exe"

the extra parameter is for thumbcal to start at TODAY view, rather than MONTH view.

Maybe this would be further improvement, nevertheless, it is not a bug, but a feature not yet implemented. I hope you could make it work in future release.

thanx a lot for your help, and thanx for a really useful app .
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)