General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

apen83

May 17, 2012
eau claire
right, I totally forgot. Lol
If you think swapping out SD cards is more convenient, and if you won't go too much further than watching videos, and it really is just for the kid, then try the Fuhu Nabi 2. I remember it being cheaper on Black Friday, but maybe there are still some cheaper than its regular $200 pricetag.

It probably won't get many updates past its current ICS, and it has microSD expansion as well as a Tegra 3 cpu. So basically specs of the n7 but with sd card.
Problem: no google play store. Amazon app store can be sideloaded though

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium

Thanks I really appreciate it ill check that out havent seen it before :thumbup:

sent from a jedi galaxy note2 from far far away

N73A

Nov 26, 2012
Delhi
Buying Guide.....

Huawei G300 vs Huawei vision vs Ideos X5 pro vs iphone 3gs vs micromax A110 vs xperia mini. I know its a tough ask but who according to you is best for Gaming, photoshoot, web browsing?

kbaszak

Nov 7, 2012
Currently have a Thunderbolt that is getting impossible to use so I'm looking for a new phone. I'm on Verizon and I want to keep unlimited data so I'll be buying a used phone. I'm looking to keep it at or under the $200 mark. Any suggestions?

mfsr98

Nov 26, 2011
Porto
Currently have a Thunderbolt that is getting impossible to use so I'm looking for a new phone. I'm on Verizon and I want to keep unlimited data so I'll be buying a used phone. I'm looking to keep it at or under the $200 mark. Any suggestions?
I have no idea how the prices are where you live (I guess it's the U.S.) but see the Nexus 4. If that is too expensive, see the Galaxy Nexus. IF it's still too expensive, see the Galaxy Ace 2.

wideris

Nov 29, 2012
Next phone with cyanogenmod and 3G only

Hope I'm not interrupting anyone else's search here...

Hi all, I've been reading xda for a while but haven't posted before. I've currently got a Samsung Fascinate with CM7.2 and Glitch 13.1 running and it's worlds better than stock....however, not perfect.

I'm looking to get a "new" phone in the next few months, but I don't want to buy a current model, as they all come with 4G. For what I use it for, 3G is great, and I'd rather not add $10 to my bill for something I don't want...

So what I'm looking for is the best 3G only phone that is working 100 percent with cyanogenmod 7, 8 or 9. My fascinate works 95 percent great, but has a few quirks, and battery life isn't great. So essentially, I'm looking for a super stable phone for CM that also has good battery life.

Any recommendations? I've seen some people recommend the HTC Incredible 2, but not sure how solidly it runs CM7.2. My Fascinate is considered stable too by cyanogenmod, but without the Glitch kernel, the speakerphone was completely unusable and I still have issues with the wifi randomly disconnecting.

Thanks!

mfsr98

Nov 26, 2011
Porto
Lol okay, so if you had £120 maximum to spend on a tablet, what would you buy? Doesn't have to be those two tablets, i just wanna find best for price. :good:
I don't know how the prices work in your country :/ But are you on england? If so, you can get the Nexus 7 really cheap.

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

They're the 2 phones that have taken my interest I guess. The S3 or One X don't interest me personally. What would you advise..?
Honestly, I don't like both companies, but from what I can see: 4X has quadcore, T has better design, T should get more ROMs since I think they didn't make custom ROMs for it yet (locked bootloader).

Nov 28, 2012
I don't know how the prices work in your country :/ But are you on england? If so, you can get the Nexus 7 really cheap.

Yup, England. Cheapest i could find the Nexus 7 was £160, other places £180. Sadly this is too much as my friend is only looking to spend £100 so i don't know what to recommend to him, just need to know sooner rather than later as deliveries for Christmas are going to be backed up!

cognus

Feb 3, 2011
New Braunfels
I think there you can get the lenovo A2107A-H. that is the model that networks both 3G and WIFI. Still early, but there is a good bit of devel going on for it.
have not seen the 3G model USA-side
Yup, England. Cheapest i could find the Nexus 7 was £160, other places £180. Sadly this is too much as my friend is only looking to spend £100 so i don't know what to recommend to him, just need to know sooner rather than later as deliveries for Christmas are going to be backed up!

H4CK_H0PP3R

Oct 9, 2012
Mumbai
Moto G4 Plus
I am thinking to buy Nexus 4..buts heard there are most problems found so bit confused whether to buy or not ? Can anyone suggest me? my frnds sister coming from US to india within month so have to order before she leaves US..should i wait for newer devices or buy this one ??????? price factor is most imp for me as my budgest is ony $350 thats why i am thinking for nexus 4 only but lots of complaing also so bit confussed..as i am time buyer for longer time.

Dhiraj

Dec 28, 2010
I wanted to buy a new phone, as my Nexus S is getting rather old, but I'm not sure what to buy.

I want a powerful phone that runs jellybean smoother and faster than my nexus s, I want at least 1 GB of RAM, camera doesn't matter, screen size should be no smaller than 4 inches and no larger than 5. I like Galaxy Nexus, or Nexus 4, but they both lack an expandable storage. The expandable storage wouldn't matter if they at least had 32 GBs internal. This was my main problem with the nexus s also, and I had to lower the bitrate of most of my music to be able to fit them on 16 GB memory. As a result, I've turned my attention to Sony xperia s, but, it's a Sony, and Sony isn't well-known for good support. Galaxy S II was great, but it's rather old as well, and well, the support for it will end soon. Galaxy S III is good... But it's expensive and I don't like touch wiz. One X is also expensive and I don't want sense. Generally, I don't like manufacturer skins and strongly prefer stock Android. Also another important factor is that I'd rather that the phone get official cyanogenmod support, siii and one x got those but... Well, they don't get updates at the same time with the nexuses. I'm not expecting them to, I'm just saying it's a negative point of not being a nexus.

Also, before you say why don't I get a nexus and use cloud storage, I should say, 1. I can't because of slow connection, 2. I hate cloud storage.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

Swiped from my Nexus S on CM10 stable powered by Marmite kernel

Sent from my Micromax A87 using Tapatalk 2

What is your budget ?

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
I wanted to buy a new phone, as my Nexus S is getting rather old, but I'm not sure what to buy.

I want a powerful phone that runs jellybean smoother and faster than my nexus s, I want at least 1 GB of RAM, camera doesn't matter, screen size should be no smaller than 4 inches and no larger than 5. I like Galaxy Nexus, or Nexus 4, but they both lack an expandable storage. The expandable storage wouldn't matter if they at least had 32 GBs internal. This was my main problem with the nexus s also, and I had to lower the bitrate of most of my music to be able to fit them on 16 GB memory. As a result, I've turned my attention to Sony xperia s, but, it's a Sony, and Sony isn't well-known for good support. Galaxy S II was great, but it's rather old as well, and well, the support for it will end soon. Galaxy S III is good... But it's expensive and I don't like touch wiz. One X is also expensive and I don't want sense. Generally, I don't like manufacturer skins and strongly prefer stock Android. Also another important factor is that I'd rather that the phone get official cyanogenmod support, siii and one x got those but... Well, they don't get updates at the same time with the nexuses. I'm not expecting them to, I'm just saying it's a negative point of not being a nexus.

Also, before you say why don't I get a nexus and use cloud storage, I should say, 1. I can't because of slow connection, 2. I hate cloud storage.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

Swiped from my Nexus S on CM10 stable powered by Marmite kernel

Sorry, but Sony isn't known for offering a good support? They are the most dev friendly OEM of the major ones. (This applies only to Brasil, but you can have an idea: they are the only company I can find info on their site, and answer any question you have. It is almost impossible to have an answer from Samsung).

The JB is indeed late, but it's due a huge change that is happening internally, which will help bringing updates much more faster. Also rumours their skin will be revamped next year, with a look much closer to Vanilla.

About support for custom ROMS: We have an entire team bringing CM10 and Cm9, another team for AOKP ICS and JB, and another, smaller, but still great team bringing Paranoid, P.A.C. And Dark Passion for it. Let's not forget a few great devs working on stock based ROMS. The number of devs isn't exactly huge, but it is great.

The XDA forums for it are one of the most organized ones, and there aren't many stupid noobs.

"What really matters in this world, anyway?"

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Honestly, I kinda like Sony skin. It's more minimalistic compared to touchwiz and sense. But I still prefer stock Android. Among the options, Xperia S has the lowest price, the design is very good, the CPU is "good enough" (I wouldn't need a quad core anyway), but, I doubt that Sony will provide extended support. By extended support I mean jellybean 4.2 and key lime pie. Jellybean 4.2 is possible but key lime pie is most probably a no go. I still strongly prefer Nexus devices but only 16 GB is definitely not enough.

I'm also not sure about KLP, but who knows? They were, on 2011, the only OEM to update all their phones (except Play, for good reasons) to update all their decides to ICS. No other OEM did that.

Sony skin is good, indeed. Simple, minimalistic and modern (no bright colors all over the UI). About 16 Gb, and to think I only had 2 Gb on my Micro SD that came with my X10 Mini Pro. Now the 32 Gb barely hold what I use. (In fact, it is 26 Gb on SD partition, 2 Gb for data, 1 Gb for system, 250 MB for Cache and rest for other stuff.)

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)